AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

33 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Yeah I remember the days when Chaos Warriors and Knights were the most feared infantry/cavalry in the (WHFB) game. Just look at them now. 😢

Are BoK generally considered an 'easy' army to play compared to others (except for SCE)? Being a flagship army and all. Perhaps they want to keep us simple and mid-tier?

I would rather say that they are one of the hardest armies to play. At least for me, it was extremely difficult to balance buffing units and buff vectors. Although I think that I was overthinking it, learning the game. And I play almost entirely Mortals, which before were a bit weaker than Deamons, I would say?!

Still, without buffs your units cannot compete (different for SCE for example, or some Death Units - Reapers I am looking at you...). You have almost no fly (except Blood Thirsters) and hence rely on mid-range Mortal Wounds from priests to get units behind enemy lines (different for Nurgle for example with Mortal Wounds all over the battlefield). Your Blood Tithe also create a trade-off between summoning  and buffing (again, Nurgle has two separate mechanics for that).

All in all, Khorne is not necessarily worse than other armies, but you need to prepare your list well, and you need to be very attentive during the game and make the right decisions. My experience is that making mistake with them is very unforgiving.

So that is my opinion on it. I also play Nighthaunt. I find them easier to play.

• Like 2

Brand new player to AoS here... still getting my head around the rules, and I’m very aware that we don’t have all the facts yet, but based on what we have seen so far and what is already understood about Khorne generally as a faction - is it looking like a Skullcrusher heavy Brass Stampede type army might be viable under this new book?

Ive harboured dreams of making such a force for a long, long time (in 40K originally) and if this is a competitively viable option now I would be over the moon!!

8 minutes ago, Draakur said:

is it looking like a Skullcrusher heavy Brass Stampede type army might be viable under this new book?

Definitely viable. The brass stampede removes the need to roll a 2+ to cause mortal wounds on the charge, you cause them automatically now. Enjoy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Draakur said:

Brand new player to AoS here... still getting my head around the rules, and I’m very aware that we don’t have all the facts yet, but based on what we have seen so far and what is already understood about Khorne generally as a faction - is it looking like a Skullcrusher heavy Brass Stampede type army might be viable under this new book?

Ive harboured dreams of making such a force for a long, long time (in 40K originally) and if this is a competitively viable option now I would be over the moon!!

it was very much viable before and it will be even more today i think. However, i don't know if the new brass stampede is as good as the old one, who gave to skullcrusher the ability to make D3 mortal wounds in the HERO PHASE to units they were in battle against. A brass stampede was a waterfall of mortal wounds every turn

Edited by ledha
  • Like 1

Wow, this may well drag me away from Sylvaneth as my first army... 😦 I should probably keep my head screwed on and wait to see how all this pans out, but I want to enter AoS with a view towards competitive play and seeing how much I can grow tactically and skill-wise as a player... if I can do that while playing a Juggerhorde it would be an absolute nerd dream come true!! 😀 

+edit+ Thanks for the replies and help by the way, gents. Is there anything I should know when it comes to building this type of force? Other general information that is pertinent here, strengths and weaknesses of such a force, that type of thing ? Again I’m new to the ruleset of this game but I foresee them being potentially very easily hemmed in mobility-wise, do I have that right?

Edited by Draakur

Ok, sorry for double post here, but i think if it isn't faqed, the Skull Cannons may have received the biggest buff in the whole army.

First, Locus of fury give reroll to hit of 1 to all attacks made by demons if they are around a demon hero... melee and ranged (doesn't precise only melee)

Now the Skull Cannons hit on 3+ rr1 against everything and 2+ rr1 against units of 10 models +

Then, you read the wrathmonger warscroll... : Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of Khorne units while they are wholly within 8" of any units with this ability. This ability has no effect on Wrathmongers.

It isn't restricted to melee

Now skullscanon can have 2 shots if they are near wrathmongers. 

Then you read the SkullCannon Warscroll... After this unit attacks for the first time in each combat phase, if any enemy models were slain by this unit’s attacks, this unit can attack with all of the missile weapons it is armed with

Before, you needed to kill a ennemy model with the skull Cannon's Maw, and then, only the skullcanon who killed an ennemy could shoot. Now, the whole unit just need to kill one guy in melee (with maws OR with the bloodletters's blade) and THE WHOLE UNIT CAN SHOOT AGAIN

For 320 pts, your 2 skullscannons can make 8 shots per turn with minimal investment (having the cheap wrathmongers around them, a demon hero not far away and killing one ennemy model in melee), with rr1 making them much more precise than before

Edited by ledha
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

One more thing... It is certainly a bit RAW interpretation, but if you read the skull cannon’s ability it also does not specify that attacks in the combat phase have to kill a model for the second round of shooting going off... :D It only has to kill with shooting and fight. RAW.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ledha said:

Khorne is now the best chaos god in "magic" and shooting. What the hell !

Yes it is, this is what happens when interns make up a Khorne Battletome.

We're  a functional army, for sure, but we're more like Chaos Dwarfs I'd say, when you look at lore and army functionality.

Slow and rangey with Magic hate. 

4 minutes ago, That Guy said:

You can even take the gorethunder cohort battalion for re-roll all to hit on the cannons. Also since they are a bloodletter keyword, can’t they be buffed by skulltaker?

You can but then you have to thake the Blood Throne.

Easier to just go 2-3 Skullcannons, with the Wrathmonger unit and cram them all somewhat near the Skully Tower, with a sniper Priest on top.

1 hour ago, ledha said:

Ok, sorry for double post here, but i think if it isn't faqed, the Skull Cannons may have received the biggest buff in the whole army.

First, Locus of fury give reroll to hit of 1 to all attacks made by demons if they are around a demon hero... melee and ranged (doesn't precise only melee)

Now the Skull Cannons hit on 3+ rr1 against everything and 2+ rr1 against units of 10 models +

Then, you read the wrathmonger warscroll... : Add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of Khorne units while they are wholly within 8" of any units with this ability. This ability has no effect on Wrathmongers.

It isn't restricted to melee

Now skullscanon can have 2 shots if they are near wrathmongers. 

Then you read the SkullCannon Warscroll... After this unit attacks for the first time in each combat phase, if any enemy models were slain by this unit’s attacks, this unit can attack with all of the missile weapons it is armed with

Before, you needed to kill a ennemy model with the skull Cannon's Maw, and then, only the skullcanon who killed an ennemy could shoot. Now, the whole unit just need to kill one guy in melee (with maws OR with the bloodletters's blade) and THE WHOLE UNIT CAN SHOOT AGAIN

For 320 pts, your 2 skullscannons can make 8 shots per turn with minimal investment (having the cheap wrathmongers around them, a demon hero not far away and killing one ennemy model in melee), with rr1 making them much more precise than before

What would happen it the unit of Skullcannons get to Pile in and attack again, if it’s even possible?

2 minutes ago, Dan.Ford said:

What would happen it the unit of Skullcannons get to Pile in and attack again, if it’s even possible?

well, it work only for "the first time in each combat phase", so it won't work in hero phase (if they have a bonus pile-in+attack) or if they attack a second time in the combat phase

1 hour ago, ledha said:

Khorne is now the best chaos god in "magic" and shooting. What the hell !

Khorne has actually always been very good at shooting, for some weird reason.

It's because he is also the god of industry? I think? (not really too emphasized today other than his War-Smiths like the Skull Grinder or the juggers which are dameon robots)

Like the old Armorcast models

Spoiler

khornecannon1.jpg

khornecauldron1.jpg

And quite a bit in 40k of course with the Greater Brass Scorpion or the Lord of Skulls

Edited by kenshin620

Okay let’s talk some opinions here about our basic mortal battleline wargear options. Now with all the changes, what are your guys opinions? Multiple ways to reliably get to hit buffs and extra attacks, with priests, wrathmongers and bloodsecrator. 1 new change: gorefist bash a dude in the face with a mortal wound on an unmodified save of 6. Since you can ALWAYS save. This will basically always trigger when you get to roll your saves, that is, if you roll the number of that disgusting rival god.

So what do you think?

Bloodreavers: • Reaver blades • Meatripper axes.

Blood Warriors: •Goreaxes •Gorefist

Edited by That Guy

6 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Bloodreavers: • Reaver blades • Meatripper axes.

Rend > All, Meatripper will always be better

6 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Blood Warriors: •Goreaxes •Gorefist

Now it is only a matter of choice. I can's see any dominant choice. Mine will always be the two axes for the following reasons

-RR1 is a bad bonus but between the two, it is the only one that get used with bonuses that you give to the warriors (+1 attack, last breath attacks) plus i prefer having bonus for when i strike which is eomething i wish for and prepare my strategy for, rather beeing hit, something i try to avoid.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Luke.w said:

What is everyone thinking in terms of new top tier lists for Khorne? Still gore pilgirms? Tyrants of blood? Mulitiple battalions? Would be interesring to hear some thoughts.

Tyrants of blood and brass stampede (not both in the same list I don’t think, but now that I consider it maybe haha)

12 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

Does anybody have a new point list ?

I do, but we can't just post it here.

Just now, Luke1705 said:

The command abilities for the hosts like reapers of vengeance, etc. Are they just on your general or on all heroes?

On the general.

Extremely short review on the book; I like everything that doesn't cost 180 points ;) 

I have enough models to reshuffle and make it work. I can't wait to get the book and read it all. 

Nerfing Khorne could also have something to do with the overall narrative of AoS, Khorne has lost his grip on the Mortal Realms. 

Nagash is the main bad guy right now and Slanesh is probably going to come back and probably ascend in power.

• Thanks 1