AoS 2.0 Winners and Losers

With AoS 2.0 right around the corner I wanted to get the community’s opinion on who will be the biggest winners and the biggest losers with the rule changes? Personally I feel Fyreslayers are gonna get a huge buff where as shooting armies will be taking a hit

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its way too early to tell. I think it will take atleast 3 months in the new edition to even start considering winners and losers.

But on a less serious note i think we players are the winners for getting so much new and exciting stuff to play with.

Losers - Anyone who chooses a negative attitude to change, sulking because they didn't get the toy they wanted.....and destruction ;)

Winners - Hobbyists who are happy to take things that are cool looking because they love them, knocking out themes on a realm focused but still infinite possibility aesthetic. People who cultivate their local scene and have a core of like-minded individuals (see rerolling 1's on YouTube for an example) leading to fun games and varied games. ..... and Tzeentch;) 

EDIT - While giving a long-winded answer Skabnoze stole my thunder :)

I believe there hasn't been a single rule previewed this far that hasn't been an improvement for the Undead. So I would say them. Also other strong magic armies with summoning, like Tzeentch and Seraphon seem to get lots of good stuff.

The losers are all those armies that haven't got their proper AoS treatment yet. Especially armies such as Free peoples and Wanderers whose main strength is now weaker and haven't got much to compensate. Though there might be some combos coming out of them with the new items and trinkets as likely they all haven't been as throughoutly playtested as the newer stuff, and there might be some loophole rules that combo well with the new stuff.

31 minutes ago, Lardidar said:

Losers - Anyone who chooses a negative attitude to change, sulking because they didn't get the toy they wanted.....and destruction ;)

If the Moonclan battletome rumors in the near future turns out to be true, and if that ends up bringing a variety of plastic squig kits, then I have won so much harder than anyone else could hope.

6 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

If the Moonclan battletome rumors in the near future turns out to be true, and if that ends up bringing a variety of plastic squig kits, then I have won so much harder than anyone else could hope.

Can't disagree, I'm also enjoying my IronJaws...was more just a bad joke at the internets go to whipping boys

I mean we literally can't know....

points do matter. As I've said every time I've recommend making shooting out of combat limited in some way. I always followed it up with, also making said shooting units cheaper. It's not that shooting needs a nerf. It's more just that the shooting part of the game in boring tactically on both sides of the table. When Compared to melee armies.

I'm fsir confident gw is doing this after looking at the KO article. 

From there endless spells look tame. 

Free summoning is pretty great, but it also seems to have some fair well built in limits. 

Loseres: That one guy that will burn his army and put a vid of it on youtube

Winners: Everyone who gets a laugh out of it....

But on a  serious note, winners and losers will only show themselfs after a few weeks, a good prediction might be hinged on summoning, as LVL pointed out, but even that might highly depend on the local meta and the choice of opposing factions.

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

Free summoning is pretty great, but it also seems to have some fair well built in limits. 

The main problem in my eyes is that it is introduced to some armies that are great even before it. Balancing that kind of ability with points is also bit of hit or miss, it's hard to get even if you can have variable focus to summoning in the list building phase. If you point it for "medium use" then going all-in can give you benefits and going without is a disdvantage. If you point it for the maximum use, then it just leads to a situation where to be competitive, you have to go all in. Because of that, the reinforcement points were in my eyes the best solution. A small points reduction for the summoned stuff (like it was in the SCGT comp) would have been a good offset to take in to account the uncertainties during the game. The problem with the summoning was more with the uncertainty of the spells and mechanisms, not so much that it wouldn't have been useful as it was. For example, many Tzeentch players leave reinforcement points for splitting horrors already. Of course there are units such as the Phoenix, where the reinforcement points don't work at all and the resurrection should be just included in the price with say 1,5 multiplier for the basic cost.

Seraphon are also a good example why I'm bit sceptic about the new mechanism. Seraphon are my "tournament army" as normally I play only casual games, and when I go to tournament, my other armies are typically not worth fielding in that kind of environment. Thus when I'm playing with my Lizardmen, I normally build my army to be more optimized. I have earlier left ~60 points for summoning some skinks, a priest or a salamander (as I don't have razordons) if needed. However, many times I had to leave them a side as it was more important to cast other spells with my Slann, or the spells failed / rarely got dispelled. Now in the new edition, I don't have as good spells to cast instead of summoning and I don't have to leave reinforcement points aside (I assume that the realm specific spells are not something you regularly use in tournaments, and don't believe the local scene is so interested in the endless spells either as the scene is still in quite early steps). Thus there are less limitation and more encouragement for summoning. In fact, there seem to be no point to not summon stuff with my Slann. Now of course the cost of Slann might be 500 points in the new edition, but that just leads to a case where if the price is too high, I don't use the Slann at all, or if I use it I have to go all in with summoning. I don't think this is a good direction for the game regards of competitive gaming. Note that in open or narrative, the free summoning doesn't make any difference to the current situation, so in that regard I think the new more interesting mechanisms are definitely a big plus.

2 hours ago, Lardidar said:

Winners - Hobbyists who are happy to take things that are cool looking because they love them, knocking out themes on a realm focused but still infinite possibility aesthetic. People who cultivate their local scene and have a core of like-minded individuals (see rerolling 1's on YouTube for an example) leading to fun games and varied games. ..... and Tzeentch;) 

EDIT - While giving a long-winded answer Skabnoze stole my thunder :)

Judging by this and other comments the winners so far seem to be 'people who wanted to say hateful things on TGA with no consequences, but never had an acceptable enough target before now.'

4 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

Judging by this and other comments the winners so far seem to be 'people who wanted to say hateful things on TGA with no consequences, but never had an acceptable enough target before now.'

I'm sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. I was trying to say wait and see, I don't throw a fit because a snippet of rules is not to 'my' liking. My cool models and armies will still be cool models and armies after the change.

I disagree with the "non magic army" as loosers. I honestly think my Dispossessed got way better! 

My Runelord got way better, point drops for allies behemot like magmadrot, steam tank, KO ships are fenomenals to cover our wicknesses.

All my elite units have magic ward and, having nothing, all the new items and command options are a battletome, to me. Add some pointa drop for Hammerers and Iron-breaker/drake and we' re on fire.

So: 

Winner: Duardin

Losers: All those pesky magic factions

6 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey! My response was good I thought! ;)

It may just be because it's Friday, but everyone seems to be posting in good spirits thus far! xD

I refuse to be happy until preorders go live. And that will only last until i read the BRB and GHB at which time i will be overcome with soul crushing disappointment.

Archived