Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

Yeah it's kind of dumb not getting the grand hammer or starsoul maces in the starter kits, since they are balanced pointwise with them.

Whether it matters to someone or not is going to be a difference of opinion, but it is holding you back competitively (and the game is a competitive game, you vs other people, even if you are playing casually).

It's not the same as just not having like swords  or dual hammers or some alternative option with positive and negatives aspects available. It just plain makes your unit worse. Not debatable.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In most cases it would still be close to irrelevant, at least in 2000 points, if you got 10 or 20 points extra by not having the hammer. The impact to the game as whole is very small. 

For mounts, the 40k style additonal power cost would be nice as there the difference is often more substantial. Even if the influence to the game might be again marginal.

9 hours ago, Richelieu said:

If you haven't seen RoboCop in awhile you should.  It is absolutely brutal.  The scene where Murphy gets shot up before becoming RoboCop is gruesome.  Paul Verhoeven cranked out some great dystopian films in the 80s and 90s.

And what great one liners! Arnold in Total Recall: "Consider this a divorce." Right before he shoots his fake wife... Classic.

For some reason, the over-riding memory of RoboCop is some new protype RoboCops shooting themselves in the head, ripping their own heads off (etc.) and just generally being useless. Funny, yet I don't remember the franchise as a comedy.

We're talking 20 years ago, mind. Hazy memories...

12 hours ago, Carnelian said:

I played with the starter set liberators only until october last year using first the original south coast comp and then matched play points because I prioritised buying other more exotic units over liberators and I certainly lacked neither the experience or the resources to have enjoyed an army comp system that reflected the fact that I wasn't getting the full value our of my liberators compared to other people's non-starter set liberators, so your suggestion that by somehow continuing to use starter set models means that efficiency was irrelevant to me is plain wrong. I don't think what I'm suggesting is particularly controversial.

I still use starter set liberators and I'm ok with it.  I have lots of monetary resources yet I'm not going to throw out or waste the existing models.   There is nothing wrong with people using starter set models.

I cringe to think that people new to the game (or hobby) may get told that those starter set models are "inefficient" and shouldn't be used.  This is a slide into getting less people into the hobby.  Telling people oh this weapon is a way better value, etc....

Starter sets are always superb value to start:

- an army

- 2 armies

- the hooby

(select 1 to 3 of the above)

or to complete your armies (in my case both SCE and Death: I am super hyped and happy)

I am even planning to get 2 of them for the upcoming 2nd edition (eventually with reselling some of the 2nd set: rules , items, some uniques characters...)

28 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Starter sets are always superb value to start:

- an army

- 2 armies

- the hooby

(select 1 to 3 of the above)

or to complete your armies (in my case both SCE and Death: I am super hyped and happy)

I am even planning to get 2 of them for the upcoming 2nd edition (eventually with reselling some of the 2nd set: rules , items, some uniques characters...)

Yep, totally agree - but then it also depends if you are hyper competitive and throw your miniatures out of the pram when you lose, or AoS engages you in other ways i.e. to have fun even when you get beat.

I’m in the latter camp. After all, these are just little (but beautifully crafted) plastic models being moved across a toy battlefield often through hours of gameplay. If you’re not having fun doing this, especially when you are losing, there are better things to do.

It is plain that without obsessive AoS gamers, GW wouldn’t be making half their money. For example, my eldest son was obsessed with getting KO aether khemist for £15 until I pointed out he would get better vfm on a arkanaut company both in matched play and money. His argument was he thought he needed more hero models.

He does not of course.

No one does ?

49 minutes ago, chord said:

I still use starter set liberators and I'm ok with it.  I have lots of monetary resources yet I'm not going to throw out or waste the existing models.   There is nothing wrong with people using starter set models.

I cringe to think that people new to the game (or hobby) may get told that those starter set models are "inefficient" and shouldn't be used.  This is a slide into getting less people into the hobby.  Telling people oh this weapon is a way better value, etc.... 

Just on the side, the liberator box contains more greatweapons than the number of models contained  can use. So by mixing easy to build and "normal" liberators, all units can be equipped "optimally" and there is no reason to discard anything, provided one needs or wants more than ten liberators.

10 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Just on the side, the liberator box contains more greatweapons than the number of models contained  can use. So by mixing easy to build and "normal" liberators, all units can be equipped "optimally" and there is no reason to discard anything, provided one needs or wants more than ten liberators.

True, but if you only had the starter box (not any of the start collecting), your choices are 10 or 20.  So I somebody didn't want 20, its not a great solution.

Honestly all starter sets and start collecting should come with weapon options 

1 minute ago, chord said:

True, but if you only had the starter box (not any of the start collecting), your choices are 10 or 20.  So I somebody didn't want 20, its not a great solution.

Looks like they are for the new Stormcast, or at least coming with 3 'option' type models (though obviously im guessing these are actually 'an option' and not mandatory).

WHfestLiveBlog-AoSProduct3nr-1.jpg

7 minutes ago, chord said:

Yeah, and by not doing so drives gamers to eBay in search of weapon options.

GW are missing a trick there.

Cross-post from the Rumour Thread:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/22/22nd-may-magic-casting-and-unbindinggw-homepage-post-2/

Changes to magic!

Unbinding at 30" instead of 18", Arcane bolt doing only 1 mw but d3 if the casting roll is 10+ and mystic shield giving re-rolls of 1 instead of +1 save are the big changes!

EDIT: also new magic for all the realms! I'm still not sure how this is going to be implemented, the article talks about different spells being accessible depending on where you fight, so maybe they are extra spells all casters get at the start of the game?

The spell they revealed seems pretty good, basically a deepstrike attached to a casting value 8. It can have its uses for sure!

27 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

Yeah, and by not doing so drives gamers to eBay in search of weapon options.

GW are missing a trick there.

There are many options (although they require some work) for converting the snap fit starter set models.  Here is an example of one of the hammer prosecutors that I converted into a javelin/shield guy.  It worked out well because I removed the shield from the liberator prime and swapped it with the left arm of this prosecutor, then converted a grand hammer for the liberator prime.

15269967539392359560948649773349.jpg.e70bc87ac8a90b47ae94deef53d36b14.jpg15269967985271311652046397196612.jpg.a55b609f3b49a6270101a322b84018a2.jpg

Pretty good? It's amazing! 8+ to pretty much nullify any non-ranged unit for a couple of turns! Just pick up that deathstar / key supporting hero and put them in some corner far away from anything for example. Or block the opponents moving or something.

3 minutes ago, smucreo said:

EDIT: also new magic for all the realms! I'm still not sure how this is going to be implemented, the article talks about different spells being accessible depending on where you fight, so maybe they are extra spells all casters get at the start of the game?

The spell they revealed seems pretty good, basically a deepstrike attached to a casting value 8. It can have its uses for sure!

Should have answered here in the first place. That seems to be just expanded on the rules we have now for the different realms. So if you're fighting on realm of fire the armies can use the fire magic etc.

3 minutes ago, smucreo said:

Except that it specifies enemy unit. So you can't deepstrike your own stuff, just move and enemy, perhaps off an objective or out of a charge lane.

Just now, TheWilddog said:

Will be interesting how this works in match play.  Will you get to chose a realm? Will casters have access to all realm spells? Will the realm be determined randomly?

I would imagine there will be a 2D6 table (with 1 & 2, 11 & 12 being pick) with each realm on.  I'm intrigued on how tournaments are going to tackle this.

Archived