Legions of... WAAAAAAAAAGH?

Mincemeat

What with Legions of Nagash being more-or-less an allegiance wide battletome, what say you about a similar treatment being possible for Destruction?

We already have tomes for a few factions, but goblins are feeling noticeably left out at present, and a book with allegiance abilities for a themed "Gordrakks Great WAAAGH" army would revitalise the left-behind factions and provide some newer and more interesting allegiance abilities tailored to each race. Sneaky for grots, smashy for orruks and chompy/stompy for ogors.

Of course this is likely wishful thinking, but an ogor warlord can dream about things other than meat right?

I strongly suspect we'll see a Free Peoples of Sigmar style battletome soon. Comprising Free People, Wanderers, Dispossessed and maybe something like Darkling Covens. Basically merging together legacy armies and bring in allegiance abilities like we saw in Firestorm.

I think if they do end up doing a “Legions of Destruction” type book, they’d use the following factions: 

- Greenskinz                                                                    

- Gitmob Grots 

- Troggoths

- Aleguzzler Gargants 

- Spiderfang Grots

Gutbusters and Moonclan I can see getting their own factions in the future. 

I wouldn’t know how they would give the army different alliegances like the LoN book does with the mortarchs though. Maybe use different aspects of Gorkamorka that give their followers different abilities.

- Legion Of Gork can focus on making a very melee heavy and direct army. 

- Legion Of Mork could be a sneakier army, with More magic and range based assaults. 

- Legion Of The Spider God could have a more support and buff/debuff focus.  

- Gorkamorkas Horde maybe a mix of all three? 

5 hours ago, Barbossal said:

I strongly suspect we'll see a Free Peoples of Sigmar style battletome soon. Comprising Free People, Wanderers, Dispossessed and maybe something like Darkling Covens. Basically merging together legacy armies and bring in allegiance abilities like we saw in Firestorm.

Completely agree. maybe Battletome: Free Cities. Layed out like LoN and each legion being the city rules.

11 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I think if they do end up doing a “Legions of Destruction” type book, they’d use the following factions: 

- Greenskinz                                                                    

- Gitmob Grots 

- Troggoths

- Aleguzzler Gargants 

- Spiderfang Grots

Gutbusters and Moonclan I can see getting their own factions in the future. 

I wouldn’t know how they would give the army different alliegances like the LoN book does with the mortarchs though. Maybe use different aspects of Gorkamorka that give their followers different abilities.

- Legion Of Gork can focus on making a very melee heavy and direct army. 

- Legion Of Mork could be a sneakier army, with More magic and range based assaults. 

- Legion Of The Spider God could have a more support and buff/debuff focus.  

- Gorkamorkas Horde maybe a mix of all three? 

Was thinking the same thing and it would be titled "WAAAAAAAAAGH of Gorkamorka". Only comment I have is I think Gutbusters would get folded up in this book as well and they would release a Gorkamorka model like Nagash, Alarielle, and Morathi. I think we will see the entire "Pantheon of Gods" one day:

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Pantheon

Future battletomes being:

Moonclan 

Sky Grots

Yep, in the Destruction forums, that's my thoughts on the more generic Destruction units. Chuck them into a Rampaging Hordes battletome.

That being said, I personally think Spiderfang have enough to go out on their own (so hoping for a Spiderfang expansion down the track). So I'd just put in Greenskinz, Gitmob, Troggoths and Gargants.

I think part of the issue with Greenskinz and Gitmob at the moment is

A) The lack of decent allegiance abilities

and B) if they had allegiance abilities, they'd lack heavy hitters

Which a combined battletome would solve in both parts. At the moment you can get the heavy hitters (Since both factions have easy access to battleline), but you're still without good allegiance abilities and tricks they can pull (Both are pretty straight forward factions, especially Greenskinz).

So personally, I see for the Destruction forces that exist today

Ironjawz, Beastclaw and Bonesplitterz currently have their own tomes and allegiance abilities (Even if the Ironjawz one is missing spells).

Moonclan and Spiderfang I think have potential to be expanded into fuller factions with their own battletomes in the future.

Gutbuster + Maneaters + Firebellies rolled into an Ogor Tribes battletome. Gutbuster kinda has enough to stand on it's own, but I doubt they'll be expanded so I think it makes sense to roll back the Maneaters and Firebellies back into a single tome.

And Rampaging Hordes - everything else which is the Greenskinz, Gitmob, Troggoths and Gargants, a true Orcs and Goblins army.

That being said, I don't think this should be done everywhere. A lot of people are kinda asking for Free Cities. Personally, I don't really want to see it go down that route (even though it's cool). The Order factions that were given allegiance abilities in the GHB have more than enough legs to stand on their own terms. I would hate to see Wanderers or Free Peoples or Dispossessed disappear as their own faction in lieu of using combined Free Cities factions.

2 hours ago, someone2040 said:

That being said, I don't think this should be done everywhere. A lot of people are kinda asking for Free Cities. Personally, I don't really want to see it go down that route (even though it's cool). The Order factions that were given allegiance abilities in the GHB have more than enough legs to stand on their own terms. I would hate to see Wanderers or Free Peoples or Dispossessed disappear as their own faction in lieu of using combined Free Cities faction

I think a Free Cities book that slightly expands on the Firestorm Alliegances wouldn’t be too bad, the rules already exist and an expansion on this front wouldn’t be a major distraction from the current legacy order stuff.

I agree with @AthlorianStoners A follow-up battletome to Firestorm with a Free Cities theme would be cool narratively and competitively. This is something I feel GW is looking to do eventually with a wide-open IP for AOS. It would be like building a normal order army, but you could choose from an assortment special allegiance and command abilities that can make your Free City unique and your own. I would associate it similarly to how the Kharadron Overlords use The Code. 

Onto the topic at hand in regard to Destruction, the obvious choices would be Greenskins, Gitmob Grots, Troggoths, Aleguzzlar Gargants, and any potential FW monsters like the Rogue Idol. Moonclan are getting their own tome as early as this year, and I think Gutbusters will get something in the near future since their line is arguably the most complete out of the legacy armies that hasn't received support. Maneaters and Fire Bellies may be rolled back into it as well, but that remains to be seen.They still could be in the book and I will treat them as such. Spiderfang Grots could also be rolled into this battletome, but I think GW has something planned for them. The Grot Scuttlings from Silver Tower are an indication of what could come if SG is turned into a battletome.

Here are four followings or themed allegiance abilities that could be in the tome:

Gork - Brutal but Cunning (all about the fight, getting into combat and excelling over the enemy, but using cunning tricks to do so)
Mork- Cunning but Brutal (also could include combat, but utilizes ranged and magic specifically to aid in fighting)
The Great Maw- Ogres using hunger and brute strength as a theme, could see mortal wounds through various actions like charging,or scoring a 6 To Wound in combat
The Spider God - makes Spiderfang Grots the Sylvaneth of Destruction. Before the game, the general can put webs across the battlefield and continue to add webs throughout the game. It would give bonuses (ignore terrain, +1 to hit, +1 to Bravery) and debuff enemies moving or fighting within the terrain (-1 to hit, -1 to movement). You could have chaff units able to once per game drop webbing in areas or even have the Arachnarok's Web Flinger shoot free webbing across the battlefield rather than an enemy unit

I was thinking this as well. The Skaven are exactly the same as Death as a whole and should get a Legion of Nagash style book. Clans always used mixed stuff.  Clanrats as battleline without breaking allegiance, pick any unit for any general ect. It would work very well.

Destruction could use the same style book as well. There are so many subfactions that are traditionally mixed together, much like Death and Skaven. Really the only ones that wouldnt need to be included is Ironjawz since they dont play nice with others regardless. But hey...maybe GW will mix them all together then throw in the sub allegiances in the back like they did with Death and Soulblight.

2 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I think a Free Cities book that slightly expands on the Firestorm Alliegances wouldn’t be too bad, the rules already exist and an expansion on this front wouldn’t be a major distraction from the current legacy order stuff.

I think there are some issues with Free Cities which is why I don't think they'll reach the level of a competitive battletome or allegiance abilities:

Stormcast will always be in free cities, and they will always have the most flexibility in the game. You can never really make a Free City allegiance interesting because of this. I mean, Stormcast basically ruined Firestorm because people were worrying about Vanguard Wing Anvilguard forces auto destroying units.

Because of the flexibility in forces, it is harder to balance interesting command traits and artefacts attached to Free Cities. For example, Dispossessed have a super strong artifact, the Ancestral Pickaxe. This works for Dispossessed, because they are a slow army. It's a lot harder to throw such an item around willy nilly. Basically, there's a reason the traits/artefacts in the Grand Alliances are pretty plain, it's because if they make something interesting it's prime for abuse.

Overall, I personally prefer the approach that the Legions of Nagash is taking. Combine several factions that are unlikely to be expanded into a single tome, grant them a keyword, and then go at it. It makes it much easier to theme allegiance abilities, command traits, spells and artefacts. It's also something that works across all the different Grand Alliances in a cohesive and consistent way. Free Cities as an approach only really works for Order.

I could easily see them 'Legion of Nagashing' pretty much all the migrated armies that they don't wish to expand upon. It of course helps that most armies started as a single old world army in the first place, and that makes it easy to recombine them in a manner that fits.

Moonclan seem to have had quite a bit of focus during malign portents, with a new model released in the form of the Fungoid Cave Shaman, and a short story in "The Paradise Below". Furthermore, the Facebook page linked a super squig heavy army  list. My hopes are that Moonclan will either get its own battletome, or it will be included with other goblin/destruction factions in a book and given a battalion/alliance abilities this year.

Archived