Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that image that they posted giving a high level look at all the reveals has what looks like another option for the sea-unicorn rider. Shows the same mount but with a guy with a glaive, helmet, and shield. Maybe an optional build? Also That kit looks absolutely incredible. 

The Idoneth Deepkin reveal video is great lore and symbolism. Seeing 40k destroyed by endless marines. The world of fantasy destroyed by the parasite game 40k. In the dark there is hope. AoS is the hope. It’s probably accidental rather than intentional symbolism but I like it. 

I think the guy riding the tidal wave might be Aenarion or Caledor Dragontamer (isn’t that the guy who held Morathi while Slaanesh dragged the two of them down into hell in the end times?) definitely not teclis. Could even be BelShannar. Doesn’t have any of the twins iconography on it

13 minutes ago, Nullius said:

I think the guy riding the tidal wave might be Aenarion or Caledor Dragontamer (isn’t that the guy who held Morathi while Slaanesh dragged the two of them down into hell in the end times?) definitely not teclis. Could even be BelShannar. Doesn’t have any of the twins iconography on it

Nope rumor says avatar of malanthan or something made by teclis. It might also have alternate build options too.

1 hour ago, Goodapollo4 said:

So that image that they posted giving a high level look at all the reveals has what looks like another option for the sea-unicorn rider. Shows the same mount but with a guy with a glaive, helmet, and shield. Maybe an optional build? Also That kit looks absolutely incredible. 

Got a link to that image? I missed that!

Really interesting looking models, they've tried to do something quite daring and unique by modelling water and modelling as if things are under water. 

I think the giant turtle will have to join my mixed-aelf army regardless of what it's warscroll is like. How can you not enjoy a giant turtle?

I do find it curious that they've kept the Scourge Privateers as a separate faction, now we've seen the models I think they could have sat fairly comfortably within Idoneth Deepkin. What's the point of having two sea-based sea-monster using dark -aelf raider factions when their aesthetics aren't that disimiliar and one of them is so small?

10 minutes ago, Orsino said:

I do find it curious that they've kept the Scourge Privateers as a separate faction, now we've seen the models I think they could have sat fairly comfortably within Idoneth Deepkin. What's the point of having two sea-based sea-monster using dark -aelf raider factions when their aesthetics aren't that disimiliar and one of them is so small?

I like them keeping the two separate but surelyndsay the kharibdyss could be used for both? Get some extra use out of the model like they did with the mutualith for 1000 sons

I for one welcome our new aquatic overlords.

My opinions at this point:

• Not a duff note from my point of view (with the exception that in one of the pictures of the Turtle you can see the two bow crew members are actually glued on such that they are almost off the platform - not true in other pictures so clearly a construction error rather than a kit problem)
  • Some of the little spiky bits will be removed, like the top spike on the sword wielding snake-eel riders, because otherwise they will break off when I look at them sideways
  • One of the things that makes me keen to buy in is from a playing point of view they have already got a decent range of units that look like they allow a range of play styles (note here that I am not a tournament player so while the competitive reality may be that certain builds are inherently stronger, that does not impact on me). The two thrall units are clearly very different in equipment, we have heroes that look like they do something other than variants on one theme, we have fast looking (flying?) cavalry that are shooty and fighty, we have a monster that feels like a mixed support beat stick unit. All the elements for a range of possible builds
  • The heroes look outstanding

Very keen to see more

1 hour ago, Orsino said:

Maybe they felt that if they developed the Deepkin as an expands Scourge Privateer force it would handicap them too much in form of what they can actually do.

For example, there's no way the Scourge Privateers can be an underwater faction. Just look at the Chariot, it's being pulled by Horses. They also have fluff dictating who the Scourge Privateers are, and in general, GW has not changed the fluff on the factions too much since the Grand Alliance books came out (Daughters for example, are still Daughters, we just found out the ones we saw before are the more public elements of that faction).

So I think overall it's a good thing they decided not to expand upon the Scourge Privateers with this release. It allows them a lot more freedom in how they can develop the faction. I think it'd be cool to see Scourge Privateers expanded at some point, but I think the Privateers are more of a Daughters of Khaine sized release as opposed to Deepkin.

Keeping them separate is fine, especially if rules to align older factions together like Anvilgard come out. Just give the Scourge Privateers the bolt throwers please and I'd be happy! 

Does anyone else think that even within the Idoneth there seems to be some slight style differences? For example, the King character on the serpent narwhal (what is it GW, put us out of our misery) is distinctly 'dark aelf' and Corsair like, as are the thralls, pointy sorcerer and one version of the turtle driver. 

You've then got the more Avatar of Mathlann styled models, like the closed eye female hero, the other turtle driver and apparently the artwork for the King as shown by @Goodapollo4. I wonder if we have more to see for this side? Maybe alternate construction options, with the fin-styled Spartan helms etc. These are more 'high aelf' looking I feel. 

Great to see, even if it's just a quirk, that the models have influences from different places. 

34 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Keeping them separate is fine, especially if rules to align older factions together like Anvilgard come out. Just give the Scourge Privateers the bolt throwers please and I'd be happy! 

Does anyone else think that even within the Idoneth there seems to be some slight style differences? For example, the King character on the serpent narwhal (what is it GW, put us out of our misery) is distinctly 'dark aelf' and Corsair like, as are the thralls, pointy sorcerer and one version of the turtle driver. 

You've then got the more Avatar of Mathlann styled models, like the closed eye female hero, the other turtle driver and apparently the artwork for the King as shown by @Goodapollo4. I wonder if we have more to see for this side? Maybe alternate construction options, with the fin-styled Spartan helms etc. These are more 'high aelf' looking I feel. 

Great to see, even if it's just a quirk, that the models have influences from different places. 

Yeah it definitely feels like it could be a faction of mixed identities. Similar to how the Sylvaneth for the most part are these dryads and spiritual creatures, but then you see the dark side in the Spit Revenants and Drycha Hamadreth.

I think the other interesting thing is I think you'll be able to tie together your theme as 'dark' or 'high' aelf as you like based on your painting scheme. I suspect a lot of the 'darker' stuff looks like that because they've been given quite pale skin and dark armour and the like. Sure they have eye patches which will always give them more of a hardened look, but I think you could make the entire range look quite 'high aelf' or 'dark aelf' depending on your colour scheme.

Definitely an aspect that resonates with me in that respect, as I like my force to feel consistent.

2 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

Yeah it definitely feels like it could be a faction of mixed identities. Similar to how the Sylvaneth for the most part are these dryads and spiritual creatures, but then you see the dark side in the Spit Revenants and Drycha Hamadreth.

I think the other interesting thing is I think you'll be able to tie together your theme as 'dark' or 'high' aelf as you like based on your painting scheme. I suspect a lot of the 'darker' stuff looks like that because they've been given quite pale skin and dark armour and the like. Sure they have eye patches which will always give them more of a hardened look, but I think you could make the entire range look quite 'high aelf' or 'dark aelf' depending on your colour scheme.

Definitely an aspect that resonates with me in that respect, as I like my force to feel consistent.

The eel and shark models are the bigger mixture of the two styles, though they even seem to have a more muscular, brutal appearance similar to the thrall side. Common theme across them all is the silver lined blue cloth. 

I've been thinking about this release. It is very heavy on big models like characters and cavalry, while we have only seen one infantry unit--albeit with two different builds--so far. It seems like building enough battleline models to support many of the other options would be a bit of a chore.  Maybe some of the cav units are battleline as well.

How do you think that other models like lizardman skinks or even slaanesh daemonettes would look with this force? They could fill out the rank and file a bit...

2 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

I've been thinking about this release. It is very heavy on big models like characters and cavalry, while we have only seen one infantry unit--albeit with two different builds--so far. It seems like building enough battleline models to support many of the other options would be a bit of a chore.  Maybe some of the cav units are battleline as well.

We've actually seen 2 different infantry units. The archers are not just a separate build, they are a separate kit from the close combat infantry, and according to the presentation, they have alternate builds that were not shown in the video.

My bet is that the 2-hander guys will have a dual kit option of single hand weapons and shields (like the eel riders), and that the archers will have alternate spear throwers or crossbows.  They have said that there is at least one other infantry unit we haven't seen yet, which may also be a dual kit as well, so that's 5 kinds of infantry, possibly 6 if all 3 are dual kits.

Aaand, they also said there is a 3rd type of cavalry unit that we have yet to see, which may be smaller than the eels. I suspect something similar to the dragon-seahorse creature ridden by the character with the eyepatch. 

We know there are going to be lots of dual kits and options, but so far, the eel riders are the only unit we've seen both versions of.

This is sounding like a monumental release. In all seriousness have any others come close?

Stormcast obviously but they have what what half a dozen unit kits, and maybe a dozen or so characters, done over 3 releases. From the looks of things Idoneth will be 3 infantry kits, 3 cavalry units, half a dozen characters, so pretty comparable total size but done in ONE RELEASE.

Argh I just want them out now.

46 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

Cool! I didn't realize there were so many coming. This is a HUGE release!

In which video do they mention the different sets?

They talked about that in the presentation at Adepticon, but there's no video for that. As far as I know. I'm relaying what people have said who were there in person.

Archived