Highborn Spearmen x10 (80)

Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)
Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)

Phoenix Guard x30 (420)

Total: 2000/2000
Allies:  0/400
Wounds: 126/126

BATTLE REPORT #1

I played my first game with this list yesterday and I could not be happier.  I ended up changing the Battlemage to Lifesurge because I felt it gave more support to my  heroes or to support the Ordinator,  I played against a Sylvaneth list which consisted of Allarielle (general), Two units Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes) x3, Two units Kurnoth Hunters (Bows) x3, Branchwych, and some Tree Revanants (I think just one group of 5).   We played Duality of Death he had the first turn.  I used one Frostheart and the Phoenix Guard to focus on one objective, the Archmage on Dragon and other Frostheart for the other objective, and placed the Spearmen to prevent my opponent from popping up close to my thrower/ordinator/loremaster/battlemage through the spirit paths.  He put a lot of focus initially on the Archmage/Frostheart group with the ranged attacks he had and used the both groups of scythes to sit inside the wildwoods he dropped around the objective nearest them.  When I got to the bottom of the turn, I was able to cap one objective with the Frostheart/PG group and used the Loremaster to Hand of Glory the Bolt Thrower the Ordinator used his command ability on.  I used both bolt throwers with repeater bolts to focus all 36 shots on allarielle and was able to do 16 wounds on her to knock her off first turn.  In close combat, I used the quicksilver potion to get both of my attacks from the dragon and Frostheart off on the hunters in the wildwood before he could swing back and was able to do a sizeable amount of damage.  I focused my bolt throwers on the hunters after that and was able to table him by turn 3 without losing a single model (this total outcome was very luck based as he focused on the Frostheart/Dragon group, plus getting off allarielle in the first turn and some poor rolls on his hunters when he targeted the ordinator).  

All-in-all I was very happy with the result and see a lot of promise in it's performance.  I'm playing again tomorrow with a bigger group of guys and will report back afterwards, on how they performed.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/10/2018 at 3:37 AM, BillyOcean said:

Are you playing GHB17? In objective based play, I'm not sure how viable "everything hangs back and shoots" is, unless you have enough firepower to wipe the enemy in a turn or two. Especially in the incremental scoring scenarios, your opponent can rack up significant points while weathering your firepower for a couple of turns, and if you are sending skinks forward alone to hold objectives they won't last long. I feel like you need an anvil unit or two, to hunker down on objectives and tie up the enemy, while you rain arrows into the combat.

To be honest I don't know if I have enough firepower to damage them enough in the early turns. Could always send a Dragon forward to score objective points and distract their attention while shooting them up. I could work some liberators into the list. Thanks for the suggestions!

I play general order list with a heavy leaning towards elfs, the units that I have used a lot that stand out are:

Skinks: They are just awesome, they are too good. Battle line, high move, low cost, insane bravery and a good evasion ability that you can do a lot of trickery with. If I did the next generals handbbok I would make them “battle line if….”, they are just too good.

Reavers: MVP, I have stolen more games with these than any other unit. The move is insane on Reavers and that’s all that matters. They can move 14, then 2d6 in shooting phase and then 2d6 if they can get a charge. I have done charge moves and stolen objectives several times with these. Hard unit to learn to use properly, I almost gave up on them because they were spectacular failures my first games. I usually have them close to my objective moving back and forth and just harass the enemy with bows until I get an opening. Key factor for them is that they also are Battle line.  

Lion Rangers: Undercosted 2-hander unit. A LOT better than Swordmaster, you get 30 Lion rangers for the same price as 20 Swordmasters. They cost 14 points but only 12 if you have 30. No special tricks at all just very solid and cost effective.  They could actually be undercosted by mistake, swordmasters droped 2 points and lions dropped 4 between first and second generals handbbok. Freeguild greatswords cost 15….

Mistweaver Saih: Mage with high move for 80 points, deal. The spell is situational but when its good its really good otherwise I just cast the standard spells with her. I have a skink starpriest on the painting table for the same reason, high move, 80 points, but haven’t tried it yet.

On 3/12/2018 at 6:37 AM, Bufkin said:

Mistweaver Saih: Mage with high move for 80 points, deal. The spell is situational but when its good its really good otherwise I just cast the standard spells with her. I have a skink starpriest on the painting table for the same reason, high move, 80 points, but haven’t tried it yet.

I have both and have used both.  I find the Starpriest a bit better cause i use his spell more often, but I also go up against a lot of death and demon armies where her spell is essentially useless.  I also like that the starpriest is really easy to hide.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

Could always send a Dragon forward to score objective points and distract their attention while shooting them up. I could work some liberators into the list. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah, liberators, or even just 20 Eternal Guard (160pts) would give you a nice little anvil capable of hunkering down and holding an objective for days.

Did anyone find anything interesting in Daughter's of Khaine that they think will change their favorite mixed Order lists? I think in general, units in newer books tend to be quite dependent on internal synergy, allegiance traits, and battalions, which reduced their value to a mixed Order list. So, many of units in DoK seem overcosted from a mixed Order perspective (altho priced fine in DoK), or their role is simply covered better by another Order unit. For instance, I think the shooty and stabby snake ladies are simply outshone in their roles by bow/scythe Kurnoths respectively. 

However, I did come across two units that I find very interesting in a mixed Order list:

1. Doomfire Warlocks. With the addition of crossbows, and added rend on their swords, these guys have become a true offensive toolbox, with the mobility to deliver the damage output to wherever its needed. I will definitely test a unit of 10, who can unleash 6 mortal wounds followed by an impressive volume of offensive dice in the shooting and combat phases. The downsides are their lackluster defense and poor bravery, but I guess their mobility serves as their main line of defense (just stay out of range) and there's always Inspiring Presence to deal with bravery.

2. Heartrenders. The value of having a unit with flexible deployment can't be overstated - knowing you have something up your sleeve forces your opponent to rethink how they defend backfield objectives, and where they leave vulnerable characters. And a 5-pack of Heartrenders for 80 points seems like a steal.

Any other thoughts?

5 hours ago, BillyOcean said:

Did anyone find anything interesting in Daughter's of Khaine that they think will change their favorite mixed Order lists? I think in general, units in newer books tend to be quite dependent on internal synergy, allegiance traits, and battalions, which reduced their value to a mixed Order list. So, many of units in DoK seem overcosted from a mixed Order perspective (altho priced fine in DoK), or their role is simply covered better by another Order unit. For instance, I think the shooty and stabby snake ladies are simply outshone in their roles by bow/scythe Kurnoths respectively. 

However, I did come across two units that I find very interesting in a mixed Order list:

1. Doomfire Warlocks. With the addition of crossbows, and added rend on their swords, these guys have become a true offensive toolbox, with the mobility to deliver the damage output to wherever its needed. I will definitely test a unit of 10, who can unleash 6 mortal wounds followed by an impressive volume of offensive dice in the shooting and combat phases. The downsides are their lackluster defense and poor bravery, but I guess their mobility serves as their main line of defense (just stay out of range) and there's always Inspiring Presence to deal with bravery.

2. Heartrenders. The value of having a unit with flexible deployment can't be overstated - knowing you have something up your sleeve forces your opponent to rethink how they defend backfield objectives, and where they leave vulnerable characters. And a 5-pack of Heartrenders for 80 points seems like a steal.

Any other thoughts?

Well, Morathi would work well in any mixed orderlist, esp with a Loremaster.

Just starting out in AoS but not wanting to go easy mode, i'd like to build an army that has some interesting use of tactics but is still viable in a casual environment (i wont be attending any major tourneys)

Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated and needed, thank you.

<1000
Allegiance: Order
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (380)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Loremaster (100)
10 x Glade Guard (120)
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)

Total: 980 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 48

- General
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
10 x Glade Guard (120)
10 x Executioners (180)
10 x Skinks (60)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows

Total: 1500 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 83

- General
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Executioners (180)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Skinks (60)
- Greatbows
[3 x Steelheart's Champions (100)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)]
or
[5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)]

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 122

OR

- General
Loremaster (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Executioners (180)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
10 x Skinks (60)
- Greatbows
5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 118

3 hours ago, Seadee said:

Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated and needed, thank you.

I think the 1k list is way too small - you dont have the bodies to hold objectives. In that sized game, I would get rid of the Hurricanum, and use the 380 points to fill out the Glade Guard, and add some Skinks and executioners (borrowing units from your other lists - as I assume thats what you have, or plan to get).

Feedback on the 2k lists is in the Wanderers thread :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, BillyOcean said:

Any other thoughts?

The heartrenders look very tempting (actually so tempting that I started the acquirement of necessary parts to fit them to my army theme, where bat wings really don't fit). This is the list I'm looking to fit them and more or less the next project on the desk as I have almost all of the models but only few of them are actually painted:

Battlemage (Beasts) (100)
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- General
- Trait: ??
Dragonlord (340)
- Artefact: Talisman of Blinding Light
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
- Halberds (Because I have the models and I like them)
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
10 x Khinerai Heartrenders (160)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

Quite aggressive list, but feels nice on the paper, should have bit of everything, be fun to play and able to adjust tactically to many situations.

4 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Got a mixed order related question (since I'm building one list) - what are some good non-combo depended on order units? I'm talking troops, not heroes? 

Freeguild Guard Swordsman are awesome. 80 points per 10, you get a 4+ rerolling 1s save. Throw a Mystic Shield their way and they are awesome. More efficient than Liberators and can cover more ground.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think of the following 2,000 point list. I feel like it is fairly sturdy, with one unit of battleshock immune vulkites screening, and decent threat projection from the tunnelling vulkites, two phoenixes, and skyhook shots. I have also found the spellweavers auto-unbind very handy against Tzeentch lists, and their magic obviously synergises well with the phoenixes.

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Inspiring
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff

Battleline
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
- 12x Light Skyhooks

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 144

I'm excited about the Idoneth Deepkin in Grand Alliance: Order, if only to give a Soulscryer the Reckless Command Trait, and then drop in somewhere my opponent doesn't want him with a bunch of Thralls. Legendary Fighter + Damage Blade also make Soulrender quite effective at bringing back Thralls.

If I wanted to make a Dwarf-themed Mixed Order list for competitive purposes, what should I look to include? I was thinking mostly Dispossessed and Fyreslayers, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

All the lists I come with just basically look like Fyreslayer lists with extra steps though :(

9 hours ago, Deepkin said:

If I wanted to make a Dwarf-themed Mixed Order list for competitive purposes, what should I look to include? I was thinking mostly Dispossessed and Fyreslayers, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

All the lists I come with just basically look like Fyreslayer lists with extra steps though :(

Arkanaut Company combined with a Khemist is a good combo. Light Skyhooks are some of the most powerful "special weapons" had on nearly any unit and doubling their attacks makes them disgusting. Using that combo certainly is pretty potent. 

If you are open to a bit of conversion, making a Duardin version of a Lord Ordinator can be super powerful. Not only do you have Cannons and Organ Guns to buff, but making an Ironclad fire twice in a turn can be super potent. He'd make a great general. 

Also, don't forget Longbeards and a Warden King for a "second" general. As well, combining some Kharadron Overlord mobility to shore up the slow but defensive Dispossesed and Fyreslayers would be super key. 

On 4/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, Deepkin said:

I ran a Dwarf-themed mixed Order list at ACON GT (164 people) and took 7th overall with it.  This is what I included:

• Runelord (80)
    •  General - Command Trait : Inspiring
  • Auric Runesmiter (80) - Forge Key
  • Aether-Khemist (140)
  • Aether-Khemist (140)
  • Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)
    • Item: Phoenix Stone
  • 30 x Longbeards (300) -Great Axes & Shields
  • 30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330) -War-Picks & Slingshields
  • 30 x Arkanaut Company (360) - 9 x Light Skyhooks
  • 9 x Skywardens (300) - 3 x Aethermatic Volley Guns - 3 x Drill Cannons

I had good long ranged threat and an overwhelming amount of short ranged threat alongside tons of hearty bodies.  Some good mobility with the Skywardens and deepstriking Vulkites.  Lots of rend -2 and -3 when needed.  And a luminark for a ward save, mystic shield, or anti-horde spell when needed.  It played just like it looks.

My current thinking:

loremaster

dragonlord

annointed on frosty

celestant prime

3 x 60 skinks

30 Phoenix guard

5 sisters of the thorn

5 doomfire warlocks

i think it’s 2000 pts on the dot though I have to check. I happen to have all of it painted too (just coincidence as I have each army they are taken from painted). Plenty of big hitting power, speed from the larger monsters and fast cab, anvil from the Phoenix Guard is solid as a rock and reasonably nasty, celestant prime for the clean up/swiss army knife. Thoughts?

Hi all, all my last games with friends I have playedmixed order. I usually go stormcast but I got bored of them so I wanted to use my old wood elves and sylvaneth. Here's what I have used:

1600 points:

Heroes: Mistweaver Saih, Treelord Ancient with regrowth, Wayfinder, Waywatcher,  Glade lord on Forest Dragon and Archmage on steed.

Units: Tree revenants, 20 glade guard, Tempestors. or 20 glade guard, Vanguard raptors with longstrike crossbows and 5 liberators.

2000 points:

Heroes: Archmage on steed, Alarielle, Treelord ancient, Neave blacktalon

Units: 2x5 Judicators, 5 Liberators, 5 Retributors, 2 Tempestors or Palladors

2000 points:

Heroes: Glade Lord on forest Dragon, Wayfinder, Waywatcher, Treelord Ancient, Mistweaver Saih, Avatar of the Hunt.

Units: Tree revenants, Tempestors, Retributors, 20 glade guard.

I usually teleport Tree revenants to objective on turn 1 to count it and put a sylvaneth wildwood on the other objective. Glade lord on dragon with Waywatcher and wayfinder behind is a good one. Avatar of the hunt has a very huge distance attaks. 20 glade guard can make 21 attaks rend -3 once on battle, and with Glade Lord buff they reroll hits and wounds of 1. Mystic shield to tree revenants and get them on cover get a 3+ reroll 1 near to treelord ancient.

My next steps are, apart from Idoneth little 1k army I'm getting (Eidolon Sea, King, Soulscryer, 10 thrall and 10 reavers + ship), is getting two dragons. I wanna make Sisters of Twilight on Forest Dragon, and I wanna take the Dark elf Black dragon to make the Carmin Dragon that counts as behemont with no hero. The reason? I just wanna put three dragons on table :)

Here is the list I am hoping to Try this weekend.

Leaders
Lord-Ordinator (100) - General - Command Trait : Tenacious
Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix (240) - Artefact : Phoenix Stone Loremaster (100)

Units
10 x Skinks (60) -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60) -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Behemoths
War Hydra (200)

War Machines
Reaper Bolt Thrower (120)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (120)

Total: 1000 /1000 Allies: 0 / 200 Leaders: 3/4 Battlelines: 2 (2+) Behemoths: 2/2 Artillery: 2/2 Wounds: 66

On 3/15/2018 at 10:10 AM, BillyOcean said:

Did anyone find anything interesting in Daughter's of Khaine that they think will change their favorite mixed Order lists?

Yeah! I'm running one unit of crazy ladies plus a hag, that fills a slot for 'cheap aggressive horde' that I felt I was missing from my list. 

On 4/4/2018 at 5:36 AM, Jamopower said:

The heartrenders look very tempting (actually so tempting that I started the acquirement of necessary parts to fit them to my army theme, where bat wings really don't fit).

Cool list mate, and I also was tempted by the heartrenders. Deepstrike into shooting was really a box I wanted my army to check and I was so close to making the purchase, but chickened out at the last minute, as I didn't have enough points free to run as many as I felt comfortable would consistently act as the scalpel that I wanted. 

The struggle is real for folks that don't like fyreslayer models considering vulkites+runesmiter is just on another level compared to anything else of its relative cost or job, even if you don't consider battleline. Why oh why didn't they at least give them pants?

---

As for Idoneth Deepkin, I'm trying to convince myself not to rebuild the whole list around Aspect of the Sea on a balewind. I'm currently on tempestors for a debuff, which would free up some points, but 540 is a huge amount, and I'm not entirely sure balewind will survive GHB18 (or even if it should). For now I'll hold off, but I remain tempted. Aspect of the Storm is also tempting since he's just the whole package for a deadly flyer (4atks, 3+rr1/2+rr1/-2/3 is just stupidly consistent) - but I'm held back by concerns about his 12w just getting popped (2nd dragonlord rrs saves), and more expensive for a similar thing (2nd dragonlord rrs hits due to command ability synergy). Though it would let me make a khemist my general for inspiring, though without the command ability a loremaster is really required for a dragonlord imo.

My list iygaf:

Spoiler
  • Dragonlord (340) - General, Inspiring, Quicksilver Potion, Lance&Shield
  • Dragonlord (340) - Lance&Shield
  • Aether Khemist (140)
  • Hag Queen (60)
  • 10x Longbeards (120) - Great Axe&Shield
  • 30x Arkanaut Company (360) - 9x Light Skyhooks
  • 30x Witch Aelves (270) - Knives&Bladed Bucklers
  • 5x Dragon Blades (140)
  • 2x Tempestors (220)
  • 1990 '2-card combos' mixed order

On 3/6/2018 at 6:23 AM, Qaz said:

Posted in the KO thread but would love to hear from the generals here too, here's the list (mostly based off what I own):

Allegiance: Hammerhal

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
Lord-Ordinator (100)
- General
- Trait: Tenacious
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Units
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440) 
- Aethermatic Volley Cannon

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130

Strategy:

• Lord ordinator buffs ironclad to spew out 44 rend -1 shots at range 12+3" and create a threat zone with the arkanaut company. Not particularly worried with ordinator keeping up because the ironclad only moves 8".  Ironclad shoots at smaller stuff and the arkanaut at bigger things.
  • Vulkites berzerkers are there to hold down the frontline and push out threats to backline or with runesmither to keep enemy in their deployment/objective grab. Might swap out a runesmither for a battlesmith though for a sturdier frontline 
  • Endrinriggers are a quick-response units: not asking them to delete big scary units but more often taking off that key unit/hero that's winning the game for the opponent.

I generally like this but im curious how succesful you are with the ironclad. Ive used it a few times in my mixed lists and its always been underwhelming. its been looking good on paper and just flubbing.

What about dropping it, adding a second khemist, 10 more company 260 and a luminark who i want to say makes points but i dont have a book next to me im on mobile. that gives range threat back line protection but drops the need for the ordinator. 

another hot move would be second khemist 3 more endrins 10 more company and battle mage and i think you can squeeze another 10 company possibly. once again dropping ordinator.

but if we want the ordinator two hellstorms or two cannons. and engine master and 3 endrins or 10 company. that still is a huge punch.

Also dont discount skywardens with drill cannons (IIRC) theyre like the skyhooks but with mortal wound potential and mobility. 

5 hours ago, Bozly said:

I generally like this but im curious how succesful you are with the ironclad. 

I've won a whole tournament with it. Lol. 44 shots at mostly 2+ to hit is a lot. (Always damned). It usually translate to about ~20 wounds. 

My games were against, Legion of Nagash with Nagash with blocks of skeletons in Duality of Death; Changehost in Border wars; Nagash in Scorched Earth; and Slyvaneth in Starstrike. Two practice games against skyborne slayers and arkhan list.  (LoN just came out)

List is mostly based around what I owned since I only started collecting aos when KO came out, so only have the newer models. 

Not discounting the skywardens, I like them too just don't have them. But the endrinriggers help me steal an objective in scorched earth and border wars with their grapnel launchers. That utility won me the game against the changehost.

The ironclad is considerably tougher to kill than artillery crew men. That's probably the biggest advantage. In terms of potential firepower, it probably has less than 2 helstrom rockets but it's less variance due to the weight of dice and not relying on D6 dmg.

This is also a 4-drop list. 

TLDR: It worked for my meta. :P

Archived