New Aelves

I like all these new models, but do you guys think they showed it all off in the video? I remember the Kharadron video left out either the aether khemist or navigator. I'm really hoping this army gets a generic serpent gorgon HQ or exalted serpent sorceress. The Kharadrons got 4 unnamed generic heroes you could use in your army and I hope i'm not forced to use only morathi or some old models as a leader for DoK. The Kharadrons got a really fully fleshed out army but i'm not seeing as many new things in this video. 

I also really hope the bow gorgons and spear/staff ones are seperate kits. The witch aelf kit is so expensive cause it is a dual kit and i'm not a fan of those. It drives up the cost of the kit and you end up with all these extra arms and stuff that doesn't do any good. If they did these separate like the stormcast liberators and archers then i'd be thrilled. I have not bought into AoS at all yet but with this release i'm now considering it. I might wait to see the reveal of the 2nd aelf army first though. I almost bought into the nurgle maggotkin and now that i've seen the DoK i'm really happy I didn't jump the gun on that release. I have to be careful with GW cause you can spend hundreds of bucks on a new army and then a couple months later they'll release something better.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Gorthaur said:

I like all these new models, but do you guys think they showed it all off in the video? I remember the Kharadron video left out either the aether khemist or navigator. I'm really hoping this army gets a generic serpent gorgon HQ or exalted serpent sorceress. The Kharadrons got 4 unnamed generic heroes you could use in your army and I hope i'm not forced to use only morathi or some old models as a leader for DoK. The Kharadrons got a really fully fleshed out army but i'm not seeing as many new things in this video. 

I also really hope the bow gorgons and spear/staff ones are seperate kits. The witch aelf kit is so expensive cause it is a dual kit and i'm not a fan of those. It drives up the cost of the kit and you end up with all these extra arms and stuff that doesn't do any good. If they did these separate like the stormcast liberators and archers then i'd be thrilled. I have not bought into AoS at all yet but with this release i'm now considering it. I might wait to see the reveal of the 2nd aelf army first though. I almost bought into the nurgle maggotkin and now that i've seen the DoK i'm really happy I didn't jump the gun on that release. I have to be careful with GW cause you can spend hundreds of bucks on a new army and then a couple months later they'll release something better.

The Witch Elves are not as pricey as they are because of being a dual kit, that is just an excuse that was used to justify it by the Kirby era GW. Forsaken were a single build kit from the same era for the same price (they are no longer with us). Dark Elf infantry are a triple box (dreadspears, darkshards, and bleakswords) released at the same exact time for almost half the price. Judicators and Liberators are very different at almost ever part of the model. The Gorgons being 1 or 2 kits will depend entirely on if they are able to do so or not. They will likely try to make it one kit to save shelf space and not have to deal with an extra SKU, they were unable to with the Stormcast models mentioned.

8 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

Some factions are on solid ground - Darkling Covens, Wanderers for example and probably the Phoenix Temple & Scourge Runner Privateers (they have a lot of rep in new fluff). Some others have good potential: Order Serpentis, Order Draconis and Eldritch Council. But Shadow Blades, and the rest of the High Elf units have, IMHO a questionable future alone.

Swifthawk Agents are similar to Phoenix Temple, they have a noticeable mention in the background (Tempest's Eye and being generic scouts for the Order). All they really need is few new models to expand on the theme, some of the options are already present but  sadly out of production or for some reason still stuck with Legacy rule (warden on foot).

I wouldn't be surprised to see them as the first new army from the highborn range, although I do wish Phoenix Temple would receive the DoK treatment first.

Maybe it will happen but isn't it a lazy move by GW? I mean it would be cool to expand on the idea of Gods and Realms in Mortal Realms ? I would love to know what happended to Malerion and Teclis/Tyrion where are they know who their children are. Expanding faction like Pheonix Temple ( unlike DoK they have only two kits ) etc would require whole new line of models do we ready want this ? 

What's more DoK are build upon Morathi and her story as important figure in AoS, that's a great way to connect them in a bigger way to new universe. 

I'd rather like new factions (like KO) maybe with max 1-2 old units put in then for example see a faction of Malerion based on existing models with 3 boxes and Mistweaver re-pack. 

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Swifthawk Agents are similar to Phoenix Temple, they have a noticeable mention in the background (Tempest's Eye and being generic scouts for the Order). All they really need is few new models to expand on the theme, some of the options are already present but  sadly out of production or for some reason still stuck with Legacy rule (warden on foot).

I wouldn't be surprised to see them as the first new army from the highborn range, although I do wish Phoenix Temple would receive the DoK treatment first.

Yes, I think Swifthawk Agents are a prime candidate for getting new models (or at least a Battletome). They are one of the biggest former-high elven faction with seven unique units, one more than the phoenix temple. They've got two models from the last 8th edition release, the Skycutter and the Shadow Warriors. Both are unlikely to be discontinued in the immediate future. The Skycutter is a big model and rather unique model and the shadow warriors are used to build the sisters of the watch. Making one part of the dual kit completely unusable wouldn't fit GW. They also have Reavers, High Warden on Griffion and the Spire Guard. Three great looking units that were part of the old starter set. They can use the existing design to build on. 

Additionally, they have a number of great themes GW can use to make them really unique. The first thing is, they are quick. Most models are either ridding something or using chariots. GW can use this and add more animals to ride. Hawk Riders would be a perfect fit for the SwiftHAWK Agents, wouldn't they? 
Just to name a few more: something along the lines of the Shadow Warriors (maybe including shadow blades?), expanding on the nautical theme of the skycutter with more sky chariots (wood and magic in contrast to the Kharadrons steel and science?).

3 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Maybe it will happen but isn't it a lazy move by GW? I mean it would be cool to expand on the idea of Gods and Realms in Mortal Realms ? I would love to know what happended to Malerion and Teclis/Tyrion where are they know who their children are. Expanding faction like Pheonix Temple ( unlike DoK they have only two kits ) etc would require whole new line of models do we ready want this ? 

What's more DoK are build upon Morathi and her story as important figure in AoS, that's a great way to connect them in a bigger way to new universe. 

I'd rather like new factions (like KO) maybe with max 1-2 old units put in then for example see a faction of Malerion based on existing models with 3 boxes and Mistweaver re-pack. 

Expanding the Phoenix Temple could be a smarte move. They are worshipping a Godbeast called the Ur-Phoenix.
And the phoenix theme often includes fire and resurrections. They were also associated with Asuryan in the world-that-was. 
GW can build on this and make it so that the Phoenix Temple brings back shards of Asuryan (and/or maybe the former phoenix kings). That would link the faction to already established fluff and would set up another conflict within the bigger Order Alliance, especially between the Gods.  The former High King of the elven pantheon Asuryan would not easily accept being equal (or even below) other former elven like Alarielle, and he would never accept the human upstart Sigmar as the leader of this new pantheon. 

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Yes, I think Swifthawk Agents are a prime candidate for getting new models (or at least a Battletome). They are one of the biggest former-high elven faction with seven unique units, one more than the phoenix temple. They've got two models from the last 8th edition release, the Skycutter and the Shadow Warriors. Both are unlikely to be discontinued in the immediate future. The Skycutter is a big model and rather unique model and the shadow warriors are used to build the sisters of the watch. Making one part of the dual kit completely unusable wouldn't fit GW. They also have Reavers, High Warden on Griffion and the Spire Guard. Three great looking units that were part of the old starter set. They can use the existing design to build on. 

A whole Spireguard army was/is an easy win for GW. It's the Light Aelves equivalent of the Darklings. And it was a set of good looking easy build models (I just bought the mage this week on ebay). There's a market for this. It's screaming out for a Darklings style rule set in the next GHB or a full on Batteltome. There was even decent lore on them - floating islands in the Realm of light - what's not to love. But the Spire of Dawn set is gone. Maybe that's a signal of things to come. Maybe not.

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Expanding the Phoenix Temple could be a smarte move. They are worshipping a Godbeast called the Ur-Phoenix.
And the phoenix theme often includes fire and resurrections. They were also associated with Asuryan in the world-that-was. 
GW can build on this and make it so that the Phoenix Temple brings back shards of Asuryan (and/or maybe the former phoenix kings). That would link the faction to already established fluff and would set up another conflict within the bigger Order Alliance, especially between the Gods.  The former High King of the elven pantheon Asuryan would not easily accept being equal (or even below) other former elven like Alarielle, and he would never accept the human upstart Sigmar as the leader of this new pantheon. 

Yes but unlikely in the near future. The release schedule is packed and that's just the AOS side. There'll be shadespire, necromunda and 40K releases (I hope that there'll be a WHQ release too but TBH that's probably wishful thinking). Pheonix Temple have their city, Phoenicium, in the Realm of Life and medium term I'd see them getting city-based rules & alliances.

One thing that I think could be a nice way to make the Elves (and other old stuff that don't have realistic chances of own battletomes anytime soon) would be a new Grand Alliance book in the style of Legions of Nagash with small rewrites to the scrolls promoting bit more combined forces between the small order factions. Along the lines of things like the hurricanum, loremaster, ice phoenix, the assassin, etc. where the synergies are open to all order stuff. This could be limited by taking the "Aelf", "Duardin", etc. keywords finally to some use. Of course this has the downside that everything needs to be balanced so that some of the more developed parts of the grand alliance won't benefit too much from it. Also a nice addition could be allegiance abilities for Aelf, Duardin, Human, etc. that wouldn't need to be too strong, but could be variations of the Grand alliance abilities. Similar refreshment could be done to Destruction as well. The Death and Chaos really don't need it anymore, as Death are about to get this kind of treatment already and Chaos doesn't have enough undeveloped stuff remaining to really make it worthwhile.

One of my favourite additions for AoS has been the Firestorm book with the city allegiances. Nothing ground shaking, but all sorts of possibilites for thematic armies. The races living together in mixed cities is my favourite thing in the AoS fluff.

On 26/1/2018 at 8:18 PM, SuperHappyTime said:

Can we all just go ahead and say the “Can’t defend IP” argument was drummed up by a community looking to discover why they were scorned and not actually a real thing?

My excitement here isn’t that we have Naga Aelves, but that the other old factions that have been split off into their own thing really are someday going to get some love.

True. 

Also, I don't really see much Greek influence in these Dark Elves. 

The Cthulhu thing is more superficial than anything else: masks of "deep ones", a general fascination with the eldritch and the unknown (represented here with Chaos)... but little else. I expect them to go full Cthulhu with Malerion and his Mi-Gos and Shoggoth and Servantd of Ib.

As for Destruction needing a boost... why not barbarians? Bring back the Kurgans!

Harpies, Gorgons, Hoplites, and Maenads are all Greek things. They initial preview trailer was definitely in a Greek style. Morathi was sitting in a Greek style chair in the 2nd video. The influences are clearly there. But they also have the influences of elves, Khaine, and fantasy mixed in.

19 hours ago, xking said:

Have people read the  "Shadowblades" lore? They  are vigilantes that hunt down cultist. They are not worshipers of khaine.

To be fair, the lore snippets in the Grand Alliance books or earlier AoS books are not really reliable indicators of what a faction will end up being like. I don't think they had a very clear plan for a lot of it.

Now that is all starting to take a bit more shape for the design team things may change quite a lot.

I still think the Shadowblades are unlikely to get their own battletome - ever. It would actually be cool to see a witch hunters battletome that had units from lots of different races in it or any non race specific official faction. I guess they kind of did it with the city allegiances in Firestorm.

I was thinking about the possible lore for the DoK and I’m very interestexd to see why we have elves with wings and elves with snake bodies. Do they come from the mortal realms or are they elf souls twisted by Slaanesh that escaped with Morathi. If they are twisted by Slaanesh than it wouldn’t be a stretch to use them as cult of Slaanesh instead of khainites. 

Also Khaine is a dead God. What does that mean? Is he really gone or can he be resurrected? Does he still grant power to his followers somehow? Or is Khaine just a name? Does morathi claim to be the incarnation of Khaine maybe? 

Did we get better pictures yet, an indication for a release date or prices?

Really quick question re: AoS Aelves.  WHFB had Malekith who rode a black dragon named Seraphon (Seraphon are now a completely different faction having nothing to do with Malekith or Dark Elves, but that’s neither here nor there).

From what I’ve heard, Malekith ‘fused’ with Seraphon and is now called Malerion.  Only, in one of these threads on TGA, someone said this is no longer considered cannon.  It seems there is some (not much) lore about Malerion, but almost none about Tyrion.  

So, my question: Is it possible that Malekith merged not with his dragon, but with Tyrion?  Male(-kith) + (-Ty)rion = Malerion.  Coincidence?

It would make consolidating the Aelf range a little easier, could make for an interesting yin/yang mechanic in-game and would illustrate the duality of Khaine as god of war/murder.  So, not completely off-the-wall crazy, right?

Somebody please tell me why and how seriously I am wrong.

2 hours ago, elfhead said:

Also Khaine is a dead God. What does that mean? Is he really gone or can he be resurrected? Does he still grant power to his followers somehow? Or is Khaine just a name? Does morathi claim to be the incarnation of Khaine maybe? 

I'm in the same spot and add some others questions. I can't figure what is Khaine right now (well...except being dead apparently), is he Khaine from the World-That-Was ? Is he a new Khaine but sharing the same name ? The Battletome can't come soon enough (or some Faction Focus) because I really need answers :D

No and no. Malekith did not fuse with his dragon. The dragon died in the old world. That was just a stupid thing invented by someone and which somehow survived on the internet.

Name change is likely out of IP/TM reasons. Also likely connected to to Aenarion (thus Malerion).

Tyrion is confirmed to be another god, pure light, blind because of this. Can only see through his brothers eyes:

2 hours ago, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

Really quick question re: AoS Aelves.  WHFB had Malekith who rode a black dragon named Seraphon (Seraphon are now a completely different faction having nothing to do with Malekith or Dark Elves, but that’s neither here nor there).

From what I’ve heard, Malekith ‘fused’ with Seraphon and is now called Malerion.  Only, in one of these threads on TGA, someone said this is no longer considered cannon.  It seems there is some (not much) lore about Malerion, but almost none about Tyrion.  

So, my question: Is it possible that Malekith merged not with his dragon, but with Tyrion?  Male(-kith) + (-Ty)rion = Malerion.  Coincidence?

It would make consolidating the Aelf range a little easier, could make for an interesting yin/yang mechanic in-game and would illustrate the duality of Khaine as god of war/murder.  So, not completely off-the-wall crazy, right?

Somebody please tell me why and how seriously I am wrong.

A few things are mixed up here.

As has already been mostly cleared up, Malekith fusing with Seraphon is some old misinformation from the early days of AoS still widely propagated (like the idea that Stormcast are reincarnated from the world-that-was and not the Mortal Realms).

Tyrion along with Teclis is definitely in as the got of Hysh, the realm of light. How he currently relates to Malerion is unclear, but before the Age of Chaos both where on good enough terms with each other to somehow "deal" with Slaanesh. And, while distant and withdrawn from the war against Chaos, also on good enough terms with Sigmar to grant him some pretty heavy boons as a parting gift when he sealed the gates of Azyr, obscuring Azyr from the scrying of Chaos and Malerion also gifted Sigmar the arena he used to train his Stormcast.

Post Age of Chaos we know nothing certain about the status of either Tyrion or Malerion, bar some snippets that their Realms (Uglu/Shadow and Hysh/Light) have so far swallowed up every force Archaon and Sigmar have send there with no coherent reports back.

Then there is the matter of some tales about Tyrion, Malerion and Morathis role in the early Age of Myth along with an illustration of what indeed looks like a fusion of something Aelf and something Dragon/reptilian most commonly asumed to show Malerion, all of which always comes up when duscussing anything aelf. All of this stuff is from the original Age of Sigmar tome, which spilled info on a lot of elements that have been kept hush about afterwards (or untill they got releases, in the case of Fyreslayers and Kharadron), but has also been contradicted and retconned many times by now, something AoS has otherwise been pretty good at avoiding. So all info from that book should be taken with care, since it seems to date back to an early conceptual version of the setting and we never know what holds water and what won't.

So Ulgu currently has Slaanesh somewhere in it? I am wondering what Malerion and Morathi are going to do with the god when they get the souls they need out? Some kind of Slaanesh lore must be in the new DoK book so maybe answers. Getting that newer combo box next month, hopefully not waiting too long for the rest of the models after that. The new medusae and harpies look really cool, lots of bits hopefully with the new kits. Anyone else painting them like Drow?

Nope Slaanesh isn't in Uglu, as he was captured by Malerion but from what I understand Tyrion/Teclis hold him captive somewhere. For sure Malerion isn't all bad and evil but I would be so sure he is good, he got nice arc in ET slowly changing inot something better compared to who he was . 

34 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Nope Slaanesh isn't in Uglu, as he was captured by Malerion but from what I understand Tyrion/Teclis hold him captive somewhere. For sure Malerion isn't all bad and evil but I would be so sure he is good, he got nice arc in ET slowly changing inot something better compared to who he was . 

From on of the Realmgate war book, Tyrion may held captive Slaanesh in Hyish, in the "Labyrinth of Light"...

Basically Nagash is mad at everyone , but he got to love Destruction as Destruction creates a lot of new souls for him. So Tyrion and Malerion found Aelven souls and succeded in rebuild their race I wonder how they do it together or not but that one hell of interesting storyline. I would like to know more, much more :D I guess Morathi followers were snachted by her from Slaasnesh thanks to power of Shadow Magic she managed to save them but they are changed(harpies, gorgon, herself) I guess Tyrion and Malerion saved those Alven souls that Slaasnesh didn't have time to devour and torment yet. 

That's why I guess Malerion and Tyrion factions (or maybe even they are one faction with two allegiances like yin and yang) will be 100% new as they used saved souls to rebuild their culture so obviously those are not aelves that live in Mortal Realms as for now as Scourage Privateers, Order Draconis etc. 

Archived