Black Library open submissions

shinros

13 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

Good call to post this. Yeah, I NEED to do this, I have been putting off my writing FAR too much. Also, I second the fan fiction section. Where do we officially petition for something like that?

Well I made a topic on the feedback section I think it would help if people like or upvote it. 

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

If you guys are serious about making a submission, I'd recommend listening to last week's Thursday Twitch where you had quite a bit of information on what Black Library expect :)

Yeah I read up on the cliff notes on bolter and chainsword. You know what? I will put it up. 

From Rob P of bolter and chainsword. 

Part 1 - Lottie LlewelynWells and John French.

- First line must be brilliant. Then first paragraph must be brilliant. And so on. Grip the editors.

- Best polished story preferred over multiple entries. Quality over quantity.

- Editors after one idea that intrigues them and quality of writing in sample - great characters, engaging prose.

- If you're not native UK use UK-English spell checker in Word. Use UK-English vernacular too. Not fatal but, saves editors time.

- Get critical test readers you trust and constructive feedback before submitting. Positive feedback not very helpful.

- (JF) Prose slightly more important than pitch as good idea poor prose is a no, but ok idea and great prose may result in offer for other pitch

- Good pitch = short - para - what it is about - chars - what they want - what is stopping them - how/why they get what they want or dont - tell ending'

- Good pitch = be clear - be direct - be precise - what it's about (reduce to core elements)

- Naming conventions not as important as editors may ask for name changes in any event

- Strong language - novels aimed at 12+. No f-word or c-word. Limited instances of swearing allowed. Think of clever ways of showing it. Use good judgement.

- Violence - Do not depict graphic gratuitous violence. No direct violence against women or children. No sexual violence. If in doubt - tone it down. What's the point of the violence? Does it serve the story? Again, think of clever ways of showing it.

- Think how story would fit in the range - grimdark/high fantasy.

- Don't try and mix all 6 themes. Perhaps 2-3 as a maximum.

- Good story mixture of action and dialogue - Not too much exposition/description. Don't just info dump in dialogue. Make dialogue realistic.

- Length - Short story - 5-7k words

- No preference for description, action or dialogue in sample - just want best writing. Take sample from best bit.

- Follow guidelines to the letter. Read all author advice and FAQs.

- Don't rush to submit - you have until April. Make it as good as you can make it.

Part 2 - Nick Kyme

- To give your sense the best chance try to write something that catches eye, perhaps something not seen before but close to background and what you would like to read.

- First line ultra-important

- Capture attention

- Think of audience = the editors

General writing advice

- Don't give up

- Read widely and keep writing to hone your skill

- Tell story in engaging way - avoid info dumps - make sure characters drive story

- Read writing advice

- Use critical testers to help you spot things that could be improved as this will help you develop a little objectivity when scrutinising your own work

54 minutes ago, Rob P said:

I agree with Shinros. I know this site was originally created primarily as a gamefinding hub, but a lore/fanfiction section would be great.

Yup, as I said in the feedback thread it would be nice to have a section where budding authors can practice writing fiction for AOS or even share stories of their army, battles and campaigns. 

15 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

I had this interesting concept for a haunted house story, where this family on the frontier slowly falls apart simply from corruption to Chaos.

Sounds like Warhammer meets The Colour Out of Space! :D

21 hours ago, shinros said:

Also I want to add we really need a fan fiction section on this website. Quite surprised we don't have one. 

Yeah, such a section would be nice. Actually I used the blogsystem here because I didn't found a correct board for stories.

I don't think that I will participate in the submission. I like to craft my own background and hope that people reading the stories will have fun (and most of the time I thought about shortly, so most of the stories are more written "on the fly"). And I think there would be more restrictions if your writing for GW.

I'm not much experienced in writing stories but this actually might be something fun to try, I mean no harm in applying right? And definitely some great practice for my creative writing.

I don't suppose anyone has guides for writing stuff? Regardless of whether I submit for this or not I've been really wanting to begin writing lore and stories for my death characters :)

• 2 months later...

I submitted one, its about a group of freeguild who are sent into Ulgu to find out why the prophecies that their master has paid for from the Prophesier's Guild in Excelsis are not coming try and why his prospectors are not returning.  Turns out the changeling has taken over as the head of the Guild and is using Tzeentch magic on the glimmerings (that the guild hands out with its prophecies) to make them twisted and give off false prophecies so he can get his staff back from Ulgu without revealing himself. But some blind-ass Devoted of Sigmar dudes are killing are the chaos tainted prospectors that come into Ulgu with the glimmerings.

Archived