What's your FAVORITE thing about AoS?

Lately I've seen an increasing quantity of negative posts/threads/attitudes, so I thought I'd see if I can shine a positive light on some of the things that GW has given us with this amazing game. Sure, it has its issues, but everything does!

My favorite thing about AoS is that in 95% or more of my games, I've had a chance to win late in the game. One game I was nearly tabled early on (I had no idea what Clan Skryre could do prior to that game...) but due to the scoring of objectives (I think it was the Gifts from the Heavens battleplan) I could have actually pulled it out at the end, so the game went down to the wire. In my experience, a good balance has been achieved (both before and after the General's Handbook and points!).

How about the rest of you? What has been your favorite aspect of Age of Sigmar?

I'm a new player, but tried to start in 8th edition and it never really stuck. Too many rules, too complicated (what can i say.. i'm a simple guy).

After AOS came out I was amazed at the simplicity and the way having fun seemed to be the most important thing. That remains my favorite thing: just having fun with my mates. Of course listbuilding is a 'thing' now and sometimes the lists of my opponents get quite cheesy... but hey .. i dont care. I just play with the models and army I like and as you say: by playing the scenario you can partially negate the upper hand these cheese lists have and still come out on top.

Another thing (not necessarily AOS) that amazed me in the past (not in a good way) was the attitude of GW, i just didn't understand why they seemed to uninterested in their fans. So in the same manner, what amazes me today (and is one of my favorite things about AOS), is the way GW is part of the community. I think they are doing a great job.

Lastly communities like this. They give me the opporunity to learn and grow as a player, meet new people online etc. 

I love the "nothing is safe" nature of the game. It means I can see amazing models and crazy units on the table and never feel hopeless.

Everything dies and that's awesome.

(Or ... when we are all.super, no one will be.)

The easy flow of the game - it's super smooth and the time you spend playing flies by. It's the sign of a good game when you can spend hours playing it, look at the time and see that you've spent hours (although it doesn't feel like it!), and want to continue.    

1 hour ago, rokapoke said:

How about the rest of you? What has been your favorite aspect of Age of Sigmar?

I'm going to go for the game as an overall entity.  The ease of picking up the rules to having awesome models that actually encourage you to want to get them painted and on the tabletop.  For the first time in well over 2 decades of hobbying I've actually got a 2k army fully painted and usable - and am managing to get games in.

Great topic!

For me it's got to be the warscrolls.  Everything I need to know about a unit is on the scroll, its simple and right from the beginning units rules seemed to represent the fluff better than the rules from previous editions.  It was the main thing that pulled me in even when I wasn't sold on the 4 page core rules.

Overall I love that the game is less about the rules minutiae and more about epic stories on the gaming table. Great work and long may it continue:)

Some awesome replies, here. My favorite thing about AoS is how it pushes my imagination and my capacity to build the game I want to play. It's epic fantasy style pushes me to rethink tropes (or explode them, pulp fiction style) and it's simple rule set pushes me to tinker with it such that I can create cool ways to play (the imaginative battle plans with all the different gameplay ideas help a lot, of course ;) ).

I might be the heretic here, but to me it was the riddance of points. Not only did it make the game a lot simpler, it gave you a lot more "official" freedom to field what you want and drove out many people who took a game overly serious. With the return of points sadly quite a chunk of those folks started to creep back into the game.

I love how monster work! Unstoppable at the beginning but the more wounds they get the worse they become.

I also love that all units can be usefull. In 8th I have never used a gaint or stonehorn, zombiedragon or what ever but now everthing has good and bad stuff

21 minutes ago, DinoTitanedition said:

I might be the heretic here, but to me it was the riddance of points. Not only did it make the game a lot simpler, it gave you a lot more "official" freedom to field what you want and drove out many people who took a game overly serious. With the return of points sadly quite a chunk of those folks started to creep back into the game.

I see what you're saying here, but i love that points were introduced. Without points certain units were obsolete. When i was playing with my brother, that was OK because we can just talk it out. But my brother doesn't play much, so when i show up to my local Game store, suddenly 20 clanrats are somehow equal to 20 blood warriors as "1 unit." It just didn't work. Now i can take my 20 clanrats knowing it's 120 points. Balance is always a good thing in my book! Unfortunately, the points brought unbalanced units along with balance... So I understand your point!

Anyway, my favorite aspect of AoS is the freedom to include what you want. You can still pretty much field anything you want, even with the addition of battle line units. You can run mincore and bring 180 points of battle line and fill your army with pretty much anything, if that's what you want to do. Albeit usually not the most competitive lists, but fun!

The combat phase works very well with elegant and simple rules. Also as (almost) everything can hurt everything, there's plenty of room in army building, without fearing that the game will be over before it started (where of course the battleplans help as well, though I don't think the scenarios are in anyway core rules of any game, as in most cases you can play the same scenarios in what ever game you desire). And of course the good old warhammer setting, with some new spicing and possibility to play with smaller unit sizes. 

1 hour ago, DinoTitanedition said:

freedom to field what you want and drove out many people who took a game overly serious. With the return of points sadly quite a chunk of those folks started to creep back into the game.

Where is the Superlike button?

My absolute most favorite part of Age of Sigmar has to be the modularity and cohesive nature of the additional rules that layer on top of the core rules.  That Open, Matched, and Narrative Play can be played in various ways all together or separate is a testament to the strength of the simple and abstracted rules.

Other awesome bits include the opportunity to see a new setting and lore being created and explored as the game evolves, my local AoS group being relaxed and not ultra competitive, the models themselves, and the unrestrictive nature of the setting for personal fluff.

1 hour ago, DinoTitanedition said:

No, you aren't a heretic.  But make a note of this - several of us never gave the game a fair chance because of a concern of facing off against the WAAC ultra-competitive players.  In my area, there are some 40K players who take the game way too seriously, and I knew that, if they did get into AoS, they would be the ones to bring anything and everything to win, and they have the wallets for it as well.  Once the General's Handbook came out with limitations in place for those sorts of shenanigans being curbed, I and several others gave it a chance.  So now, we are in completely, and those WAAC players are sticking with 40K.  Our fears may have been unfounded, but it was a legitimate concern in my area when the game first came out (because I can guarantee that those players would have broken the game with a table full of summoning shenanigans since they did it all the time in 40K).

But now that I am here, I don't worry about that stuff too much.  My group is pretty much playing Open Play with Points as a rough guideline and not worrying about much else aside from having fun (which is how it should be).  I am actually looking forward to the possibility of games without Points and seeing how those play out :)

I have a several things that I love about AoS.  In no particular order:

1.  Nearly every game I've played has been fun, fast-paced, and closely fought.  In spite of complaining, negativity, and hypothetical whining from the Haters and having played since release, I've almost never had a bad game.  I've played Open (and still do regularly), Narrative, and Matched and have enjoyed every way to play.

2.  As someone who loves Tolkien, I still find the AoS fluff that be unique, interesting, and fun.  It is totally different from the traditional LotR style fantasy world.  Its kind of like reading stories and adventures set in a mish-mash of every culture's mythological dream time!  Yeah there are cliches and, yeah some of its based on Norse mythology, and they're not the deepest, best written stories, blah, blah, blah.  I don't read these stories to improve myself as a person, or to consider the moral decay of society, or to learn fundamental truths about the universe, or other high and mighty aims.  Its escapism, pure and simple, and it does its job well.

3. The models are spectacular!  So much detail its almost painful to paint them.  I just spent two weeks painting 15 Fyreslayers and then 15 Tyranids (3rd edition termagants and hormagaunts).  The 15 Tyranids were almost a refreshing break after painting the detail on the Fyreslayers!

4.  I've been playing 40k since 2003 and I've never seen the kind of creativity, excitement, and simple joy of the hobby that I saw after AoS was released.  That prolly seems really odd to people that did not join until after the release of the General's Handbook but its true.  Prior to AoS all I (and it seemed anyone) knew about tabletop mini games were tournaments and competitive play.  Narrative Play meant playing Matched Play but using some scenery rules in a one day event.  Open Play literally did not exist and was inconceivable in the minds of most players.  They wouldn't have even thought it was actually playing a game. 

After AoS was released I saw a huge expression of creativity and love for the hobby, gaming, and lore from its fans.  Take a look at MongooseMatt's blog (https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/), Tyler Mengel and his Tomb Kings (http://theendlessdeserts.blogspot.com/), this forum, and lots of others.  Its all the more amazing that these things exist considering the contempt, hatred, and aggression that the game system and this community faced for nearly a year.  

My favorite part of AoS is a combination of the game mechanics, battleplans, and length of games.

Ive played Fantasy since 1994. This is the smoothest, most coherent version of this game in my opinion. Not only do the mechanics lend to "simple to learn, long time to master" appraoach, but it looks very cinematic on the table too. There is a lot of depth with this game, concealed within the unit warscrolls.

The battleplans make each game feel to have purpose. Not the same old 'smash each other in the center' mess of Fantasy. Plus.. scenery ACTUALLY contributes to the game flow and strategy!! That is huge coming from 8th.

And finally... the length of games allows for several games to be played over an afternoon and my brain doesnt feel like mush!! Or a quick game if little time available. I get more friends to play now without setting back a whole day which is refreshingly awesome! Not only for me.. But for the game and community as a whole.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Nico said:

Objective based Battleplans.

This, above all else. 

As an old whfb player it was and is probably the biggest change I had to get my head round. and as the op stated it gives you the chance to still be in the match late game. 

I still find myself berating my own choices for 'not playing the mission' because I've gone for the jugular too early as I would have done in whfb. It's forcing me to play in a far more tactical way and really increasing my enjoyment of the game. 

Archived