Warhammer Live Announcement

MrCharisma

2 minutes ago, Barimbino said:

This seems like a great deal. I just hope it doesn't start a paywall flood on all their other services that we already get for free, such as painting tutorials. Although I don't think this will happen I've been burned before with companies putting money before their customers.

To be a customer, you do need to pay though  they are only going to put this content out if they can make money from it. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, N_Watson said:

To be a customer, you do need to pay though  they are only going to put this content out if they can make money from it. 

And I have no problem with this, I just  don't want to see a company look at it's customer like they're bags of money and just want to see how much of that money they squeeze out with giving as little as possible in return. But it seems like the higher-up's at GW have turned over a new leaf and honestly care about their product as well as their customers. So not a terrible concern, just seen it too many times before. Especially with video game companies.

@Gaz Taylor im sorry,Im not english but i think YOU can ask in another way . I mean you are one of the moderators of this forum.

you can be more soft in your comments.

i don t know if i wrote this correctly , im learning how to speak and write english..i hope to remember your comment in the future, im sorry again  if " u" bother you or Someone in this forum :)

2 hours ago, Barimbino said:

And I have no problem with this, I just  don't want to see a company look at it's customer like they're bags of money and just want to see how much of that money they squeeze out with giving as little as possible in return. But it seems like the higher-up's at GW have turned over a new leaf and honestly care about their product as well as their customers. So not a terrible concern, just seen it too many times before. Especially with video game companies.

Ye I think they have as well. Im just getting frustrated with the backlash against the charge. Not so much here, but elsewhere online. 

People complain about the cost involved in building an army and subscribing to either WD or this new twitch stream and it is still cheaper than any other hobby I have taken part in. 

PC gaming for example. You upgrade components maybe ever 18 months or so if your really into it and you buy a game or two a month. Your looking at an initial outlay of £1k minimum for a rig, plus £40-£60 on games a month and upgrades to your system/hardware at about £300-600 every 18 months. 

As for the stream, the AOS one isn't likely to get enough viewers concurrent to make money on advertising. They need at a minimum, enough o turn a small profit and pay 4 to 5 people for at least 60 hours of work a month. 

That means that they need to make over £2k a month just to pay minimum wage. Likely more.  

I wouldn't work for free and I wouldn't expect the warhammer TV guys t.  I wouldn't expect GW to pay for warhammer TV when people buy their models without a stream. If we want it, we need to pay for it. 

The most important thing for me is to find out if I can download the streams from the archive and put them on my iPad to watch on the train. I have been told it will be possible via 3rd party tools and the £5 subscription fee will grant me access to the archives in the first place.

That would be my daily commute sorted! (No more Kpop girl group videos for me :P)

(Well maybe both - it's a long ride!)

11 minutes ago, bottle said:

The most important thing for me is to find out if I can download the streams from the archive and put them on my iPad to watch on the train. I have been told it will be possible via 3rd party tools and the £5 subscription fee will grant me access to the archives in the first place.

That would be my daily commute sorted! (No more Kpop girl group videos for me :P)

I would love this. It would make a subscription absolutely worth it.

3 hours ago, bottle said:

+1

I download a lot of my videos using YouTube Red, including the Warlords. 

You can't save videos for offline viewing on Twitch?

This is an excellent development for GW. After a year of great moves, this is certainly a highlight. 

I'm in two minds as to whether or not I'll pay for it though. I'm already subscribed to White Dwarf. Adding this would mean paying around £10 just to stay in the loop. Would I rather spend that on minis? Probably. 

I'll no doubt pay for a month or two, check out the quality / how much I watch it, and make a decision based on that. 

Had a thought about this this morning and the cover charge feels like a huge mistake to me. Why wouldn't they use this as a marketing tool primarily? Buy some front page activations and promoted status on Twitch to show people what the game is like (under ideal circumstances even).

They can charge for the VODs and the developer/lore talks which are mainly for people who've already bought in but being able give thousands of already dedicated gamers a premium showcase of the games and the hobby could never be worth less than a few fivers a month from diehards like us, IMO.

10 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

Had a thought about this this morning and the cover charge feels like a huge mistake to me. Why wouldn't they use this as a marketing tool primarily? Buy some front page activations and promoted status on Twitch to show people what the game is like (under ideal circumstances even).

They can charge for the VODs and the developer/lore talks which are mainly for people who've already bought in but being able give thousands of already dedicated gamers a premium showcase of the games and the hobby could never be worth less than a few fivers a month from diehards like us, IMO.

I think they do quite a lot of free marketing already - by making it subscription, they've already justified the monetary element which means they can treat us as customers rather than prospective ones.  It should also protect them from a tirade of abuse from the "anti-GW" brigade as they're unlikely to pay to participate.

I'm looking forward to it although I'm not 100% sure how useful it'll be to me as they'll stream during the day (and saved Twitch streams don't like playing on Chromecast)

It's also likely that this is a very costly affair. High quality video content is never cheap. Rufio has explained on several podcasts that the aim is to be world-class, if not the very best, content producer of this type. So a free week of content and then a small cover fee isn't unreasonable.

There's also a likely argument of internal politics to be made. GW has only recently started doing a lot of active marketing (videos etc). The jump from Duncan videos to 18 hours a week of streaming is non-trivial. Making it a paid service might make it easier to "sell" internally.

It would be amazing if it were free, but I expect that the other sort of videos continue to be free and available for everyone.

The way I see this is that GW is a business.  They need to prove to shareholders that any investment into new ventures is worth while.  

The kit and man power that was on display at Blood and Glory must have cost a fortune and has very little way to prove its return.  Having a month income stream from that kit gives them the ability to do even more cool stuff!  

I can't wait to see what they do with it.  

The Twitch chat room will make great painting hang outs too

I asked about them having battles from staff and they said they might, which I find really good I want to see how the studio approach games.  It's clear they play in a very specific way, with less emphasis on competitive play.  I'd love to see more of that, hopefully get people to start doing the same instead of just wanting X points, no storyline, bland type games.

I'd love to see things like how to set up an Open Play AOS game, how to add a narrative to the story, creating leagues/campaigns, all that stuff that tends to be ignored in favor of "Want a game?  2000 points good? Great!"

Hey guys,

@Rufio got in touch with me to come on my show and have a chat about Warhammer Live. I actually knew very little about it before talking to him, so for selfish purposes I found I the call worthwhile!

I am 100% convinced this will be a huge success and that the content will be awesome. £5 a month is nothing and I really hope everyone gives it a shot. Rob's passion and enthusiasm are infectious, with all the creative sorts behind him at GW, this will be great.

I think people do forget GW are a business, with shareholders. Endless free content is simply not feasible. Banking on donations/goodwill would not be in the least bit reliable...trust me! :S 

If you're not convinced, go have a little listen to what Rob had to say to me;

Or go via www.theblacksun.co.uk where there is a Paypal donate button!! ;) haha j/k :P 

Have fun and roll on the 14th,

Chris

11 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

I'm throwing my money in the ring even if I don't consume all the content.  I vote with my wallet and this is worth voting for.

Yup. I think for me for the price of a couple of coffees, this is well worth it even if you only watch a third of the content. The deal breaker for me is that fact you can watch this content anytime once done, and I think that will be ideal over the christmas break in between visiting in-laws :D 

So do we reckon all the content is going to be kept on Twitch or pushed to some other platform?  My biggest gripe with twitch is that currently I can't play past videos via Chromecast :D  That said I'll still be jumping on board - need to put my pay-rise into something sensible after all!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

So do we reckon all the content is going to be kept on Twitch or pushed to some other platform?  My biggest gripe with twitch is that currently I can't play past videos via Chromecast :D  That said I'll still be jumping on board - need to put my pay-rise into something sensible after all!

Odd as I've done it from my Chromebook and it's worked in the past. I tend to do it off my PS4 now if watching on TV. Are you casting from a mobile?

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Odd as I've done it from my Chromebook and it's worked in the past. I tend to do it off my PS4 now if watching on TV. Are you casting from a mobile?

I normally use my ipad, not tried with my phone to see if that's any different (may have a play tonight).  Only tried a couple of times so it could have been a bug :) 

I just worry that we are getting too much coverage.  Should they have started smaller and built it up once the basic format is sorted?  Most of us don't have the time to watch all that is being put out, I would prefer a "Match of the Day" highlights and discussion of the games tbh.  Will they be able to keep up the standard week in week out?  I hope so, and I will subscribe and give it a go and would love to be totally wrong.

15 minutes ago, Ian R said:

I just worry that we are getting too much coverage.  Should they have started smaller and built it up once the basic format is sorted?  Most of us don't have the time to watch all that is being put out, I would prefer a "Match of the Day" highlights and discussion of the games tbh.  Will they be able to keep up the standard week in week out?  I hope so, and I will subscribe and give it a go and would love to be totally wrong.

It's not even here and you're moaning ;) 

Personally I think with the videos being view able afterwards and the quality of the YouTube channel, I think this is going to be really good. I have total faith in this

Archived