Warhammer: The Old World News and Rumours Thread

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

I will not be disappointed, just angry

That's the normal state for a dwarf. :D

Just now, Ejecutor said:

A big par of the hobby for me is the rumours, leaks and copium, so I kind of understand those that want to enjoy that ride 😅

Fair enough. I'll stop being a party pooper then. ;)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Sarouan said:

That's the normal state for a dwarf. :D

Fair enough. I'll stop being a party pooper then. ;)

I think it is okay you give your opinion. Rumours doesn't imply be in a wave of postivism. That's a forum, and give opinions and discuss them must be the first objective of each of the members of the forum.

If they follow the same pattern of O&G  (two months between reveal and release ) then the dwarfs wave 1 (Arcane journal + battalion + new heroes) are going to on preorder at the end of may.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cyrus said:

If they follow the same pattern of O&G  (two months between reveal and release ) then the dwarfs wave 1 (Arcane journal + battalion + new heroes) are going to on preorder at the end of may.

Right before AoS.

Games Workshop will be closing its warehouses between the 27th of May and the 3rd of June 2024. Any orders received during this period will be dispatched once the warehouses re-open, at which point normal shipping will resume.

Warehouse Update - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Edited by Ejecutor

On 5/3/2024 at 12:59 PM, cyrus said:

RIP my first tournament... 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Jator said:

Seems like TOW is gonna get hit hard by the price increase.

massive-price-hikes-on-tow-articles-v0-taisvfgzjczc1.webp.c9f05bc4368115a67fb705e3a087d175.webp
fieusc0.jpeg.21d45326423852c0b97f892ed1f463dd.jpeg

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/813730.page#11666439

Mandatory "3D pRiNtErS gO BrrrRrrr".

But seriously, price is the best thing that some of those old kits have on their favour (sometimes the only ones, right skellies?).  But GW can't be helped.

Yeah. The highest increases come for HH and TOW. If someone wants the file I have it, just DM me.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

GW saw that TOW was actually popular and thought "we're obviously charging too little" ☹️

Why does it feel all the time that TOW is trying to kill the game? xD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think it's a combination of the people who will buy the kits will still buy them no matter the increase and probably some manager has a target to hit and this is the easiest way to do that.

It's such a shame as it's in my opinion the best edition of fantasy that we've had! 

• Thanks 3

It has more to do with the world economic situation not getting any better and previsions about its evolution in the future being worse (war in the middle east / central Europa and such, y'know), and prices for everything needed to produce / send these kits keep getting higher - thus reducing the margin for GW.

I know, it goes against the mantra "GW is bad, grrr", but even for 3D printers, production costs increase as well (damn even my resin seller does increase its prices, and I'm not even talking about cost of electricity). It's just a matter of time for all miniature sellers to do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

My first thought on seeing those prices! They received praise for reasonable prices on many of the kits or, in some instances, being cheaper than their initial release (see Tomb Guard). TOW released five months ago, and already *everything* is getting a price hike, for some reason much higher than everything else (bar HH?).

I'm hoping the Dwarfs (and their MTO) come before 10th June, but at this point I'm starting to think we won't see them until after that date.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sathrut said:

I'm hoping the Dwarfs (and their MTO) come before 10th June, but at this point I'm starting to think we won't see them until after that date.

Prices for them will automatically be adjusted, no matter they come before or after. Can't say their price increase if their kits weren't sold before, y'know.

Edited by Sarouan

6 hours ago, Sarouan said:

It has more to do with the world economic situation not getting any better and previsions about its evolution in the future being worse (war in the middle east / central Europa and such, y'know), and prices for everything needed to produce / send these kits keep getting higher - thus reducing the margin for GW.

That undoubtely explains the general price increase (althought much could be said about profit margins and other things) but the topic here is the disparity between the increases along the different product lines. In that regard, what Gaz mentioned about targets to hit makes sense to me.
There's also the "this game sell less so let's charge more for it" logic that is very prevalent in GW (although I can't hardly blame them when people effectively keep buying it regardless). 

We'll see if this have any real impact on TOW, whose community is already pretty open to alternatives

• Like 1

Old world being hit by way above average increases compared to the rest of the range is sad. And we haven’t even seen what the price rises to the resin and metal look like. They truly scare me after the 2022 damage to mesbg when metals went up 20 percent 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jator said:

In that regard, what Gaz mentioned about targets to hit makes sense to me.

Unlike the general belief, GW doesn't enjoy increasing prices. No customer likes to buy things at a higher price than before, and they know it very well.

I don't think it's a question of quotas to fill by some managers. They simply have to target something.

I'm not really surprised about Old World "old kits" being hit. They actually have a lot of sprues inside the boxes, so it means they consume more plastic to produce (and also take more space for delivery...old battle kits weren't really optimized, to say the least).

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sarouan said:

I'm not really surprised about Old World "old kits" being hit. They actually have a lot of sprues inside the boxes, so it means they consume more plastic to produce (and also take more space for delivery...old battle kits weren't really optimized, to say the least).

Really? That’s not the reason, it’s greed.

What you say had already been covered by their original price. GW is a company (with shareholders which makes them more reckless). They‘ll try to siphon every penny they can get. They even make a profit after selling boxes at 50% off to their employees)

GW is not your friend, they’re a friend of your money, that’s the only reason.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

GW is not your friend, they’re a friend of your money, that’s the only reason.

That's precisely that kind of simplification I abhor.

GW is made of humans who don't think the same or have all the beliefs you give them casually because they "work at GW". It's not a hivemind.

It's always easy to hate a name and forget who is behind. It's also easy to forget all the people who can live from their passion thanks to it.

Price increase is always bad news, not just for the customer : for the company that sells as well.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

GW is made of humans

This is just false. GW is a legal entity: it could fire all its employees tomorrow and it would still exist as GW with all its IPs and properties. Notice how the post you are responding to mentioned "GW" and never attacked any actual human being working there.

It's easy to humanise a company a forget what is behind: shareholders, which, for the largest part, are just looking for the highest return on their investment and for which it matters not whether the company they invest in sells plastic toy soldiers, lifesaving medicines, or pet food. Assessing the choices of a company based on their search for higher or, at least, constant profits is the rational thing to do.

As an aside, I think your point about GW being "made of humans" is not helped by GW itself wanting to erase humans as much as possible (not crediting artists, only mentioning first names, showing only hands in painting tutorials).

• Thanks 6

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

This is just false. GW is a legal entity: it could fire all its employees tomorrow and it would still exist as GW with all its IPs and properties.

This is stupid to say that, because such a "legal entity" would have no meaning in the real world : it can't produce anything without humans. Thankfully, we're still not at the state where robots completely replace mankind intervention.

It's nice for ideological arguments going your way, but when you resort to them, you just prove you're out of the reality and you do it solely to prove you're right. Not a good sign, if I may say so.

Reality of GW is that it's not shareholders who sculpt the miniatures, produce them, paint them, advertise them, sell them. Never forget that even if their influence is indeed great in the company, it is not the only thing that matters in them.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, Jator said:

Seems like TOW is gonna get hit hard by the price increase.

massive-price-hikes-on-tow-articles-v0-taisvfgzjczc1.webp.c9f05bc4368115a67fb705e3a087d175.webp
fieusc0.jpeg.21d45326423852c0b97f892ed1f463dd.jpeg

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/813730.page#11666439

Mandatory "3D pRiNtErS gO BrrrRrrr".

But seriously, price is the best thing that some of those old kits have on their favour (sometimes the only one, right skellies?).  But GW can't be helped.

HH and ToW had a grace period that seems is finished. The reason was unknown because it could be positive or negative.

Claiming for 3d printers is not good for the game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sarouan said:

This is stupid to say that, because such a "legal entity" would have no meaning in the real world : it can't produce anything without humans. Thankfully, we're still not at the state where robots completely replace mankind intervention.

It's nice for ideological arguments going your way, but when you resort to them, you just prove you're out of the reality and you do it solely to prove you're right. Not a good sign, if I may say so.

man, wow: "stupid to say", "of of the reality" and "not a good sign" for pointing out a pretty basic legal fact. Good day to you sir.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Sarouan said:

No doubt all that weights on the final price, but apparently Horus Heresy is facing a similar rise in prices, and that game has been blessed with more modernly designed kits, so I still think there must be some other criteria that we are missing. But seems like we are not going to agree on that, so I will leave at here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jator said:

No doubt all that weights on the final price, but apparently Horus Heresy is facing a similar rise in prices, and that game has been blessed with more modernly designed kits, so I still think there must be some other criteria that we are missing. But seems like we are not going to agree on that, so I will leave at here.

HH kits are more competitive price than 40k kits, and way cheaper in terms of plastic per kit. They are big kits too.

• Like 1