AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

2 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

I’m really struggling to understand this reinforcement rule! So you can only make units bigger 4 times in a 2k battle?  So for example if I had 5 units of 5 Boingrot Bounders I could only make 4 of them more than 5 models?

That seems to be the idea. However, their minimum unit size could potentially go up as well.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SorryLizard said:

As far as I know we don't actually have the text to see from an official source. Just rumours. So we can't really know for certain (and even then WarCom reveals are not always 100% correct anyway).

Ok thanks. Loads of min sized units on the board is the first big positive I’ve seen from previews and leaks. Just gotta hope they realise what a nightmare the new coherency rules are and faq it soon after release.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peasant said:

Sentinels are 10/20 so not affected

That is still only 7 dmg to a unit without a ward and a 4+ save, and given that most LRL units are 5 men outside Wardens that is a valuable reinforcement point for each unit.

Its a good unit, its hardly impressive. 

20 Irondrakes do almost 9 dmg, plus the grudge hammer for 20 pts more. So in the ballpark as far as Unleash Hell is going.

Once you get passeds the emotional impact of MW and just deal with the dmg you can move on from the boogeyman.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Nothing short of a warscroll rewrite will be likely to fix them, no need to bring it up every time.

I strongly disagree :) costing, lets say 20-30 points extra would hurt them alot. Maybe even 10 points would do it, but that is questionable.

Just now, whispersofblood said:

That is still only 7 dmg to a unit without a ward and a 4+ save, and given that most LRL units are 5 men outside Wardens that is a valuable reinforcement point for each unit.

20 Irondrakes do almost 9 dmg, plus the grudge hammer for 20 pts more. So in the ballpark as far as Unleash Hell is going.

Once you get passeds the emotional impact of MW and just deal with the dmg you can move on from the boogeyman.   

Thats the point shooting is OP so in 3.0 It should be controlled somehow, not favored adding more Ranged MW delivery and additional activations. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Third said:

I strongly disagree :) costing, lets say 20-30 points extra would hurt them alot. Maybe even 10 points would do it, but that is questionable.

I was thinking more of the design problems they inherently have (line of sight ignoring mortal wounds at a 30" distance). But you are right, of course, that they could be made less attractive with points increases.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

Ok thanks. Loads of min sized units on the board is the first big positive I’ve seen from previews and leaks. Just gotta hope they realise what a nightmare the new coherency rules are and faq it soon after release.

If we do end up with a whole bunch of minimum sized units (and the pitched battle profiles don't change what minimum sized is of course) then the coherency rules become less of an issue anyway. Most elite units are 3-5 models. Battleline are 10 and some horde units (rats, marauders, grots) are 20.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

is “just deal with the damage” the new “just kill the heroes”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SorryLizard said:

If we do end up with a whole bunch of minimum sized units (and the pitched battle profiles don't change what minimum sized is of course) then the coherency rules become less of an issue anyway. Most elite units are 3-5 models. Battleline are 10 and some horde units (rats, marauders, grots) are 20.

Agreed, it makes coherency less on issue. Thinking about the implications of loads of MSU units it makes my Sons Of Behemat even better as instead of being bundled by 30 buffed up dudes who could potentially kill you you’ll get hit by 5-10 max models and your activation projects a lot more power than theirs.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

More detail on this one:

"Reinforcements are 4 max in a 2000 point army. Take a unit from 10 - 20 is 1 reinforcement. Battleline units can be reinforces 2 times. None battleline only 1 time."

So this means that a unit of 9 stormfiends are back if you go skryre🤔

• LOVE IT! 1

This reinforcements news (if real) is the best thing I've heard yet. It immediately banishes my fears about command ability stuff like Unleash hell and too many deathstar lists (granted they can still exist it will just be a bit more limited than blob 1 & blob 2 camp Obj 1 and Obj 2 come get some).

• Like 1

Honestly I'm not really seeing how the reinforcements makes too huge of a difference. I guess it can protect against some types of spam, but it's super dependent on what the base unit sizes are. I could easily still take 4 units of 40 marauders or a big blob of flamers in eternal conflagration (assuming battleline if rules work with it). It messes with fireslayers sure, but I'm not sure what else. 

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Thats the point shooting is OP so in 3.0 It should be controlled somehow, not favored adding more Ranged MW delivery and additional activations. 

You keep saying this, and it's not looking the case to me. 

• Like 2

I feel like the reinforcements could lead to shenanigans for certain units, as mentioned above like 3 or 4 40 man Marauder units could be a problem for some armies to deal with but it could also fix issues such as Tzeentch flamers, Salamanders etc perhaps

Edited by JonnyTheKing

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

More detail on this one:

"Reinforcements are 4 max in a 2000 point army. Take a unit from 10 - 20 is 1 reinforcement. Battleline units can be reinforces 2 times. None battleline only 1 time."

If I am reading this right I will have to convert my unit of 20 Chaos warriors with Sword and shield into 2 units of ten? Or a unit of 5 and one of 15? 

Because taking 20 would = 4 reinforcements which is more than they could take as a battle line unit 🤔🤯

Just when I thought I was done with the army... 😢 

Edited by Neverchosen