TWF closed to new members

Ben

Only slightly AoS related, but still worth mentioning.  

The Warhammer Forum was the original Warhammer forums.  Started life at the WPS boards and was created when they shutdown.  

Also home to the biggest Wargaming tournament in the world. 

Its needed some TLC for years but I never thought it would be closed.  Maybe its time for the ETC to take over the running of the forums.  

Unknown.jpeg

I was toeing TWF after AoS had been out 6 months but it was very minimal traffic in non-complainy posts. TGA happened--yay--and other forums were just done for me. Dakka I go to now and then when it strikes my fancy to read about non-AoS games. B&C for Black Library (as you may know, that's my peeps) and 40K stuff, oh, and rarely the 30K forum. I'm not too surprised to see this but I'm also not affected by it. @Ben you proved a forum/community can rock when a passionate person makes it happen so if there's a group who wants it to exist then by all means, take cotrol and drive that train. B|

Never was around for Portent but joined Warseer in December for podcast project "Adventures in Forums" and though they were hacked (again) I see no reason to ever go back. I see several fellow posters who came aboard with me to here. Yes, had some great hobby plogs archived and those being lost is a shame, but the attitude on that forum was beyond unpleasantly toxic...it was pathetic in the end.

5 minutes ago, Tanka said:

why do so many people seem to dislike Portent?

I've seen numerous posts gloating at their demise- almost celebrating it.  Any reason why?

Basically its main raison d'etre was rumours but with the tightening up of that aspect by GW they had no rumours above and beyond what was available on 4chan or Bell of Lost Souls or Lady Atia etc. Then, after Age of Sigmar was released the forum became exceptionally toxic. I joined up during the End Times because I enjoyed some of the discussions but left after seeing some of the following things:

• The site admin refusing to create an AoS section of the forum as "it would not last so why spend the time to do that"
  • Wilful slander. Things like Poster A says AoS is a bad game because I could have 10 Bloodthirsters and bash little Timmy's 10 goblins. Poster B says yes you could but why would you? Poster A says, well I can so the game is bad
  • Some long standing members who would specifically seek out discussions and aggressively attack the game, the players, the models, GW etc.
  • The nature of the membership can be summed up by the fact that Warseer had to have a specific forum where you whinged about prices as otherwise every topic descended into this.

On topic however, very sad to hear about the TWF closing its doors to new members. Unfortunately though I kind of agree with Scrivs - if you are into your historical wargaming there are other forums that are a lot more active, if you like AoS you are probably here (or maybe Dakka), if you like hardcore tourney play you are probably going to the Ninth Age. So what do they offer?

14 minutes ago, Tanka said:

why do so many people seem to dislike Portent?

I've seen numerous posts gloating at their demise- almost celebrating it.  Any reason why?

Very toxic.  GW drove a wedge in the community, certainly, but the people there did the rest of the work.  

Sad to see this, but I suppose it looked like it's been going this way for a while.  I was also a member of both the WPS forum and Portent in the old days, then TWF and WarSeer respectively - but these days you've really got to keep up with the onward march of change or you simply risk getting left behind.

1 hour ago, The Stronghold said:

Sad to see this, but I suppose it looked like it's been going this way for a while.  I was also a member of both the WPS forum and Portent in the old days, then TWF and WarSeer respectively - but these days you've really got to keep up with the onward march of change or you simply risk getting left behind.

As usual Tzeentch reigns supreme.

This is a little sad, but it's definitely for the best I guess. TWF had become a pretty sorry place with little/no good content. Recently I'd completely stopped visiting for the first time on in over 10 years, complete end of an error! Before TGA came along I suspect TWF was still already on its way out and I actually thought forums had had their day, with Twitter the place to be. Still, I continued visiting to check out the tournament sub forum, make podcast posts, read the 2 new AoS posts etc, but yeh...no more.

The problem is that TWF is a complete relic, it uses an antiquated forum system with a basic functionality we'd all grown accustomed with and comfortable over the years. They've made no efforts to move with the times and unfortunately it has been left behind.

TGA has shown there is still a place for forums and I'm sure we'll have a good future here. Thanks to TWF for the good times I guess. I realise it's not closed down at present, but I foresee this as an inevitability.

Portent/Warseer were always the worst!

What's going on over on Druchii.net nowadays? Is that still a thing? Maybe I'll check in sometime.  

I only signed up for TWF to access the UK tournament scene, as did many others.

Portent/warseer was the place to be for rumours (until BoLS started copy pasting them and domain squatting).

warseer is still the best place for quality and quantity of project logs. 

I moved here from a chaos forum, chamber of the everchosen. When I signed up to that it was a nice site, plenty of turn over an regular members, nice discussions etc 

Then end times happened, the old hats got really rude and angry with anyone who enjoyed it, being aggressive towards people who disagreed with their opinions, then aos happened an it got way worse.

No admins or mods online to reign them in (mostly as they acted the same ) they hated games workshop before end times  (yet carried on playing the game) and many of them stopped being customers yet felt the right to moan, and this gave them the chance to be vocal about it. 

I for one applaud games workshops guts to change the game  (they needed to also) so much and shed the cancerous negative community which put so many people off from joining. 

When I talk to people about what's going on people seem so much more keen and interested rather than negative about the whole thing.

Every now and then you need to shed the dead weight so you can move up to bigger and better things. I feel, this site has achieved that. 

On 25/08/2016 at 10:47 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

What's going on over on Druchii.net nowadays? Is that still a thing? Maybe I'll check in sometime.  

We're still alive! Much quieter than it used to be, but still holding on. Moves are afoot to broaden the focus of the site to welcome all flavours of elf (and aelf) in AoS, WHFB, 9th Age and any other tabletop wargames that people are playing these days.

17 minutes ago, Shadowspite said:

We're still alive! Much quieter than it used to be, but still holding on. Moves are afoot to broaden the focus of the site to welcome all flavours of elf (and aelf) in AoS, WHFB, 9th Age and any other tabletop wargames that people are playing these days.

Hope the changes go well for you guys!

As a guy who never really connected with the online community until the End Times, it won't be missed. I know many veterans have fond memories of the place. For the last few years though, it has been an insular, compatative and hostile community. Anything GW did was a catastrophe. Once Khaine dropped, it became almost impossible to stay on as a hobbyist. Though AoS sundered a lot of communities, to me it feels like TWF had broken itself a long time before that.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the place while it lasted. You created awesome memories for a lot of people, and that's still worth something.

5 hours ago, Shadowspite said:

I really hope so! Being one of the ones that chose to take my Darklings in the AoS rather than 9th direction, Druchii.net became fairly unbearable for a while. Hopefully it can get back to the good old days with both systems, and not players of one being made to feel generally inferior to the other in every other thread.

Not going to shed a tear, joined the forum, took a couple of weeks to get membership approved, found it full of negative posts about AoS, and little help or interest in the game. Pretty much as dead as 8th Edition is really.

I used to use the forum for my Warhammer news and for the painting blogs. Went back when I returned and picked up AoS to find the place practically dead and not much positivity for AoS. It was actually a link in a thread there that led me to this forum.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:29 PM, Shadowspite said:

That's cool to hear, hope it all goes well.

I owe a lot to that forum. I'm not sure I would've gotten into tournaments without meeting Gary (Dark Alliance), Phil (Ches) and Ant on there. Then if it wasn't for tournaments, I wouldn't have started the podcast etc etc! Butterfly effect and all that!

Maybe Prince Xizor will make a return home one day and see what's happening ;) 

3 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I owe a lot to that forum. I'm not sure I would've gotten into tournaments without meeting Gary (Dark Alliance), Phil (Ches) and Ant on there. Then if it wasn't for tournaments, I wouldn't have started the podcast etc etc! Butterfly effect and all that!

That explains so, so much! ;):D 

Archived