Azyr app = Discontent

JCar09

I have been using azyr, the payment application for a long time. I must say that I am surprised by the extreme laziness in its maintenance. Its last update was in March, all the free applications were updated weeks ago. Does anyone have any information on when they plan to update? Or maybe they will abandon it?

The story thats floating around is that the people working on the azyr app, were tasked with the 40k app and need to get that working first. 
Seeing the community message admitting that the 40k app isn’t good enough yet... might be awhile. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

I cancelled my subsciption a week ago because of that. I liked the list building with the Azyr App but without point Updates after weeks its just useless. 

How much work can it be to adjust some numbers? Should be done in some hours.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JCar09 said:

I have been using azyr, the payment application for a long time. I must say that I am surprised by the extreme laziness in its maintenance. Its last update was in March, all the free applications were updated weeks ago. Does anyone have any information on when they plan to update? Or maybe they will abandon it?

GW still hasn't returned to full working capacity yet.  March was when the whole company were put on furlough and although parts of the company are back, their in-house mobile app team will have been focused on finishing and sorting out the new 40k app (I know that my own workload would be massively behind if I lost quarter of the year's worth of coding).  The free web app tools available on the community site are actually maintained by members of the community so there isn't really a comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that it would be good to get the points updated and am sure that we will see it done - but a little bit of support in the current trying times would be good until they get a chance to sort things out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

but a little bit of support in the current trying times would be good until they get a chance to sort things out. 

Maybe, yet they‘re a company though people keep acting like GW was a friend next door.

It‘s funny how raising the prices for products is fine since „it‘s a company“ but being upset about a lacking product is usually answered with „have patience, give them time etc.“ ? 

They don‘t deliver: I won‘t pay. They don‘t produce good rules: I won‘t buy those. I might have patience if the prices wouldn‘t be as absurd as they are or if the rules quality was improved (that one is steep a downward spiral imo).

Summarized: I don‘t pay for a lacking product which already is too expensive (Azyr is constantly bugged and out of date) while the company keeps increasing prices and keeps claiming that their low-quality product is actually high quality. If you keep throwing down money of that companies throat it only signals them that they can even charge for doing nothing. One has to draw a line at some point.

Edit: And I am honestly fed up with their business practices lately.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 15

That’s a fair point Jack and I agree. GW are doing well enough financially. I tried the Azyr service a few years ago but noticed too many errors and anomalies and cancelled my subscription almost straight away. Now Warscroll Builder, yes from time to time you spot a few issues but they are almost always fixed promptly. In this case I much prefer the free version.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 6

What they are doing with the prices is insane. The azyr update issue is just ridiculous, I could fix it myself in a couple of days. I understand that someone could be a fanboy of the company, but in my opinion this is not doing anything well.

• Like 3

Everyone should cancel their subscription until the app is up to date. I appreciate with the current climate things are moving slower and they probably don't have a full head count in the office but they chose to ignore a service people were already paying for in order to try and push the release ofanother paid for service. That's unacceptable and the only  way to let GW know that is to vote with your wallet, by all means resubscribe when it's updated if you like the service but don't accept paying money for nothing. 

Edited by Mattrulesok
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Honestly, I haven't played a game since March, and I haven't built a list in almost as long, but I'm happy to keep forking over my buck thirty-five a month until things are a bit more normal.

"Why should we spend resources and time on updating it? They'll just keep giving us money for it anyway!"

• Like 7

Works the other way too. If it's making little to no money then they won't care either on updating it any time soon over their huge 40k launch.

The situation needs a balance to both let them know people are still invested in it but upset at a month now of no necessary point updates to a paid service for a new edition. So I count both amysrevenge and Dukeus as right here.

Players of course are letting them know in others ways of the situation between constantly bringing it up on twitter/social media to them and complaints on the app store that dropped it from a solid 4.2 rating for over two years to a 3.6. So dropping subscriptions isn't the only way to get the message out but certainly fair for people that don't want to pay for a product not delivering.

15 hours ago, Dukeus said:

Its not about money. Its about sending a message.  

The message from me is "This whole year is f'ed, and nothing is going that well.  Hunker down and put what free money you have toward the things you like, in hopes that they can keep going long term."

In 2019 I might have dropped the app (well, to be honest I'm lazy enough and the monthly rate is small enough that I'd probably keep paying it for a long time and just grumble about it here rather than figure out how to cancel).  In 2020 I'm keeping it.

• Like 3

The issue is how easy this would be to work out: make a community post. Maybe even offer a month free of charge as recompensation. They waste so many resources on their petty whc articles, they could easily come up with a short "apologies, we're on it" and there would be no reason for a thread like this. But they didn't, so...

• Like 1

Addressing the issue would be ideal. I get they don't want to draw attention to it so it can blow over faster once it's fixed but this silence is very negative for this length of time.

I wouldn't call their articles petty though. They're the best thing to wake up to in the morning. :D

34 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

The message from me is "This whole year is f'ed, and nothing is going that well.  Hunker down and put what free money you have toward the things you like, in hopes that they can keep going long term."

I like this message. :)

They already had to cancel and delay multiple big events and releases. If out of the numerous 2020 disasters ours is an app that's a few months out of date so they can focus on no stumbles for a huge release for our 40k brothers then I count that as lucky.

27 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I wouldn't call their articles petty though. They're the best thing to wake up to in the morning. :D

unless the only GW game you play is AoS.... then you could have done a summer hibernation and not missed much 😂

50 minutes ago, Lucur said:

The issue is how easy this would be to work out: make a community post. Maybe even offer a month free of charge as recompensation. They waste so many resources on their petty whc articles, they could easily come up with a short "apologies, we're on it" and there would be no reason for a thread like this. But they didn't, so...

Yes they did! well, only for 40k... I made it worse not better, didn't i? ;) 

But I fully agree a service based product that's not up to date is one thing, the lack of communication is a far worse one. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

Just now, Baron Klatz said:

Service to the God-king permits no slacking, still gotta scope out conversion materials for the realms. ;)

Oh man, some of the hero models are definitely made for a fantasy setting. 

I'm getting closer and closer to a full 20 man Greatsword squat where every model is a conversion. And most of the models are coming from 40k. That Eisenhorn model 😍

But most community posts were about the lore and tactics of all kinds of 40k factions. So no, still hibernation time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Works the other way too. If it's making little to no money then they won't care either on updating it any time soon over their huge 40k launch.

Not at all. They‘ll realize a sudden drop of revenue and then look for a reason. And they know they‘re behind on Azyr. 
We are telling them that we won‘t pay for no service provided, with no tolerance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

GW still hasn't returned to full working capacity yet.  March was when the whole company were put on furlough and although parts of the company are back, their in-house mobile app team will have been focused on finishing and sorting out the new 40k app (I know that my own workload would be massively behind if I lost quarter of the year's worth of coding).  The free web app tools available on the community site are actually maintained by members of the community so there isn't really a comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that it would be good to get the points updated and am sure that we will see it done - but a little bit of support in the current trying times would be good until they get a chance to sort things out. 

The thing is, GHB was done last year, that update should have been ready to distribute at the flip of a switch. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

In 2019 I might have dropped the app (well, to be honest I'm lazy enough and the monthly rate is small enough that I'd probably keep paying it for a long time and just grumble about it here rather than figure out how to cancel).  In 2020 I'm keeping it.

Games Workshop are having their best year ever and their profits have continued to up despite Covid.

They're not some small, struggling independent out of one guy's garage who needs your charity.

The only message you're sending is, "Lol they'll put down money for literally anything with the Warhammer logo on it. Just keep shoving half-baked products out there, they'll buy it anyway, who cares lmao?"

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Totally understand you. Honestly I paid much more money for other online memberships or Apps i forgot about or was to lazy to cancel. 

Thing is i just started AoS and the App was great to try out all kinds off different builds and helped me to decide what to get next. 

It really annoyed me alot that they did not update it. And i was like. I will show you, you greedy ******. No money from me anymore for you ****** App. And then i orderd a Stardrake 😄

8 minutes ago, Dukeus said:

And then i orderd a Stardrake 😄

The Stardrake is a good product (well if you exclude the rules for it), yet there‘s no reason to support the App, which is a separate product.

You are sending a message by not buying the product that is lacking (nobody is talking about a total boycott)

• Like 1

It feels like GW is still not fully investing in digital. They're already a decade behind other systems and now they're finally dipping a toe in with the 40k app, it's obviously not had the effort put in. These apps are not complex to produce or upkeep. In terms of changing points, you could literally find a developer on fiverr who could do it in 1 hour. It's really, really strange that they can't figure out digital. They've done fantastic changes in the last few years, but somewhere in upper management, the blazingly loud message of DIGITAL IS FUTURE is not getting through. They should have a full-time team on both AoS and 40k apps. These apps should have all rules, fully updated to the second. They should be properly searchable. They should be easy to use and they should be super stable because these apps are incredibly basic in their structure. The apps should be the singular core of all their games. Books should be an accessory for people to buy to keep at home and get a code to get the rules in the app. How is this not obvious by now? It should have been where GW were 10 years ago. What's infuriating is that, as much of a layman as i am in coding, i could take an online course in a week and produce a better app that GW have. I could build a better app with app-building programmes that don't require coding. Why are we still dragging battletomes/codexes for the 10 pages of rules to our games? 

I actually love the hobby enough that it doesn't even matter. I'm fine bringing a book to a game, but COME ON, WAKE UP GW!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

GW is making more money than ever in spite of the CV. There is no actual excuse for poor service.

• Like 5