Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

12 hours ago, Athrawes said:

There is plenty of reason for hope. 100% the other three elemental orders will get miniatures and get fleshed out down the line 1-2 years from now.

The only question is whether there is more for this initial release, and as has been pointed out,  with the range as it stands now, 9 kits and 10 warscrolls, no terrain or endless spells. This would be the smallest faction (excepting Sons of Behemat), that gives me plenty or reason to expect a few more kits to be released alongside the battletome. 

This may or may not be what happens (we might get a full release), so my next comment is just a commentary on the possibility of a multi-year release.

I really dislike the new business model where GW releases army books that are very light on content with only one or two new models, and a few new battalions.  Feels very much like a cash grab.  Likewise, spreading a release out intentionally into three parts, each with a new army book feels pretty not great.  Hopefully this is not the plan.

I think it's an awesome policy. 

I was WFB player and ranges of miniatures were huge so :

- you got to wait years for your book to be updated and once

- minis were outdated usually 

If that's it for Lumineth (and I doubt it's I think we will get close to 12-14 warscrolls and for sure will have endless spells) and release is spread over months/years it very cool for me - I can paint, play with this stuff and then when I get bored with it - there is update coming. It keeps customers interested in armies they have while selling them new stuff unlike old WFB policy when customers didn't buy much because they already had huge collection and GW couldn't bloat armies with a lot of new units. 

The same goes for mini updates - I would love DoK update with new model, book, maybe terrain. So I can play with new rules, get some new minis and with WarCry and Underworlds warbands coming for almost every army eventually you got a lot of new stuff for army you love. Again big update over WFB when it took years for rules to be updated because of how much resource GW invested in those "updates" - with army book with so many units, new models, refreshing of older models etc. 

But I'm spoiled by this year as there are Lumineth coming, DoK is getting a lot of love with WarCry and Underworlds releases and I am having blast playing Deepkin. 

• Like 2

Ok, so there are two rumor engine I see as being possibly tied to lumineth, and to top it off, there descriptions seem to be magic/elf focused.... (could just be wishful thinking)...

The Rumour Engine is fickle and seems to revel in withholding as much information as it reveals, but it’s got one really endearing quality – clairvoyance. Take a good look at what it’s got to show us this week.”

image.png.cc891e9addee4a2756a1b2fcd5ee37b4.png

The Rumour Engine is here to brighten your day with a little slice of magic! A really, really little slice. It’s more like a magic snack if we’re honest. Take a look.”

image.png.2efbb35c5b3e4edcf4af0597e6ce705e.png

The second one is more likely to be some form of Dark elf. The crystal on top looks just like the ones shown on the new Warcry warband.

The first one looks like it could be Lumineth though, but the tassels look different from the ones we’ve seen so far as does the rest of the weapon shaft.

Edited by Falkman

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I think it's an awesome policy. 

I was WFB player and ranges of miniatures were huge so :

- you got to wait years for your book to be updated and once

- minis were outdated usually 

If that's it for Lumineth (and I doubt it's I think we will get close to 12-14 warscrolls and for sure will have endless spells) and release is spread over months/years it very cool for me - I can paint, play with this stuff and then when I get bored with it - there is update coming. It keeps customers interested in armies they have while selling them new stuff unlike old WFB policy when customers didn't buy much because they already had huge collection and GW couldn't bloat armies with a lot of new units. 

The same goes for mini updates - I would love DoK update with new model, book, maybe terrain. So I can play with new rules, get some new minis and with WarCry and Underworlds warbands coming for almost every army eventually you got a lot of new stuff for army you love. Again big update over WFB when it took years for rules to be updated because of how much resource GW invested in those "updates" - with army book with so many units, new models, refreshing of older models etc. 

But I'm spoiled by this year as there are Lumineth coming, DoK is getting a lot of love with WarCry and Underworlds releases and I am having blast playing Deepkin. 

I think this is a good idea but I don't think it is GW's idea.

Look at those awesome DoK mini's released yesterday. If they were a new unit or just 3 new heroes for DoK, it would spark a wave of new interest in the army. Now DoK is awesome, but its still a relatively small, AoS sized range of models that borrows from WFB for its main battleline unit. It still looks awesome on the tabletop and the rules hold up quite well given their age. If GW started to release supplements for existing armies, they would be able to re-sell awesome products that they have already without constantly revamping the entire army. 

The only example of a major second wave of models has been the Stormcast, and they seem to be the exception as they are the poster-boys. There are plenty of AoS armies that haven't been touched at all since release.

In conclusion, supplemental updates would be a fantastic idea as you suggest, but that is not what GW is doing at the minute. I'd love them to do it, or just to beef up the Warcry and Shadespire warscrolls so it was easier to take them in competitive play. 

I can’t believe that’s the whole range because we are still lacking a generic warrior Lord character, similar to an Akhelian King ... unless, as someone previously mentioned, The Light of Eltharion uses the old character name but is a generic character,  similar the the Spirit of Durthu.

Dual build on the Teclis kit is a possibility too - a sphinx riding Lord would be cool!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percivael said:

I can’t believe that’s the whole range because we are still lacking a generic warrior Lord character, similar to an Akhelian King ... unless, as someone previously mentioned, The Light of Eltharion uses the old character name but is a generic character,  similar the the Spirit of Durthu.

Dual build on the Teclis kit is a possibility too - a sphinx riding Lord would be cool!

This is one of my big reasons to suspect the line isn't fully revealed, although I would prefer something other than a sphinx riding lord.

• Like 2

So currently we have 4 generic heroes, 2 on foot 2 behemoth,  2 unique heroes, and 4 units, so how does that stack up with other releases, definitely seems low.

Im thinking they will do the same thing they did with sisters for 40k as others have suggested

1 hour ago, SaJeel said:

So currently we have 4 generic heroes, 2 on foot 2 behemoth,  2 unique heroes, and 4 units, so how does that stack up with other releases, definitely seems low.

Im thinking they will do the same thing they did with sisters for 40k as others have suggested

Where is the second generic behemoth hero? I must be missing something.

seems to me there should be 2 more kits/warscrolls based on:

Alarith Stonemage

Alarith Spirit of the Mountain

Alarith Stoneguard

Scinari Cathallar

ie Alarith =3x, Scinari so far = 1x, and Hysh is all about symmetry right?

Edited by woolf

As I think about it more, this feels a lot like the denial I had when it became clear the Slaanesh release had no mortal units.  I knew what the answer was, but I didn't like it at all.

The number of units already shown would (as boxes) roughly equal OBR and IDK.  They just need to have different options we haven't seen yet.

I suppose  worst case scenario I just don't start the army until there is a bit more choice.  I am personally not  fan of building an army with the limited amount that GW tends to release lately.  

• Sad 1

I have to agree with @Austin.  I actually enjoyed the size of the armies that WHFB used to offer.  The anemic offerings nowdays leaves me looking for something more meaty to sink my hobby teeth into.

Does anyone think we're getting a Lumineth Lowdown tomorrow?  They didn't mention it in the Sunday preview, so that leaves me wondering.  I feel like they could offer a couple more tidbits of info on the units they've shown with out telling us everything.  That would keep the community engaged and offer us a bit of an olive branch after how unsatisfying Saturday was.

In particular I'd like to hear more Eltharion, and who, or what he is now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Austin said:

As I think about it more, this feels a lot like the denial I had when it became clear the Slaanesh release had no mortal units.  I knew what the answer was, but I didn't like it at all.

The number of units already shown would (as boxes) roughly equal OBR and IDK.  They just need to have different options we haven't seen yet.

I suppose  worst case scenario I just don't start the army until there is a bit more choice.  I am personally not  fan of building an army with the limited amount that GW tends to release lately.  

At this point in time, i dont know what else to think, other than the fact that despite the Covid situation GW has been handling this release very poorly.

Teasers started by January 4, with pointy elves.  We didnt know how it would be called, but it was clear that they were suposed to be the new High Elves.

The initial previews were, with Teclis exception, pretty good. 

Aaaand then came the cows. If you mix all Lumineth we seen so far, the bovine units look stand out as a "group" on its own, wich is explained by the elemental lore.

All of that leads ne to belive that we will have 4 distinct visual identities in the line and that the battlelines are the "middle ground".

Now the great questions are "Is this book going to be all about montain"? So it will be 4 releases? Where is Tyrion?

Here is where i think GW is doing wrong: they should by now have said if there is more or not about this release, and then start teasing the Sons of Behamot. 

If they said it will have more, we would be playing around with ideas (a silhuete would keep us chasing clues all around) and if there isnt,  people could figure out if they want this army or not. 

In both situations GW would still have material to publish and tease in the lockdown. The silence after 4 month is a pretty d#$% move.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like we get a lowdown today. Not impossible, but so far they have always mentioned it in the weekly forecasts. 

It really seems like there isn't much more coming for this release. There might be Endless Spells and maybe a few more options for the existing kits (like we know for the Stoneguard), but that's very likely it. Although I hope there is a bit more. If that's it, giving out all the info about 4 elemental factions etc. might have been the wrong move. Sure, it kept people engaged, but it's not good if people are disappointed in the end, because we just get a small fraction of what they were talking about.

I totally agree with GW better coming forth and letting people  know about the scope of units they are going to release. If there is nothing more, people who don't like the current units won't be much happier about them a few weeks down the road anyway. There is a lot of things GW can do to keep people who like the current models engaged besides hiding the information about the range. And if there is more, it's much more fun to speculate what's still out there, than worrying about if there is anything else at all. 

Edited by LuminethMage

GW is such a weird company. They are all for social media and being connected to people, yet leave so much stuff that would be better off being explained in the dark. Why be so vague about whether or not this is it?

I guess what I mainly take from them being so vague is that there isn’t any more to come, since they aren’t eagerly teasing us with, “but there’s so much more on the horizon!” so I’m pretty sure this is all we’re getting. They’re just trying a final attempt of vague possibilities to keep people hanging on.

That said, I’m happy enough with the release and will probably be buying them. But I can’t help but feel somewhat wanting. It’s a bit of an odd army release that was so overly hyped it’s not funny, and has seemingly left everyone who was interested and excited for them sort of disappointed and confused in some way. 

Edit: I’ve not seen this forum so down about something before, which is sad but I totally get it. This was meant to be our big, “proper,” elf release. At least we can say this was a pretty intense roller coaster ride of emotions haha. 

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 6

@Tiberius501 This is so true.  I remember when the first reveal came out, I was beyond stoked.  I had just got back into the hobby, and was doing ok with my Idoneth army.  When the pointy aelves trailer dropped, I was all in, this was the army I had wanted in AOS.  That first set of models was beyond awesome.  But the time an odd design direction since then, especially after this army being hailed as the successor of the High Elves, has me really questioning things.  I'll probably still by the army box, but at this point a lot is riding on what's in the book itself.

• Like 3

Yea, I have to agree on how mishandled some of this was. It’s been four months, and we have so many questions about this army that it’s tiring. I want to collect and enjoy this army, but ****** me I just want more information. If I may be selfish and “toxic”,I don’t want mystery, or more reveals. I want information. How many more kits will we get. What will the initial release be. What the hell is tyrion doing, and what does it mean for this army.

I have hope that there is more, but i’m Getting tired about all this drawn out mystery.  They didn’t leave the Sons of Behemot in the dark for this long, and we already know what their models are going to be like. Just be transparent for a ****** change and let me know what the heck I want to buy!

man I shouldn’t look at forums after drinking rum

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What good will it do us to know everything about the army but be unable to buy the models?  That, to me, would be the most frustrating position to be in.  I like what they have shown so far, but since they can't provide the models at the moment I'm content to be patient for a while until they can start up again.  I'm pretty sure they're all frustrated too.  Part of the joy in working creatively is to see your creation being appreciated and know that others are getting pleasure from it.  They are denied that as we are denied our hobby desires.  There's nothing they or we can do about it, so it seems pointless to get steamed up about it.  There are plenty of positive avenues to discuss about the Lumineth while we bide our time.

• Like 3

@Aelfric You could make the same argument about the Sons of Behemat. And yet, they've shown everything. Compare their sub-forum with ours here. What's the point of not providing us with the information? Theoretically we could discuss something else, but they haven't really given us much else either.

You can see that the tenor is getting more and more negative here. One advantage about knowing if there are more models or not is that the people who don't like the current range can move on in case there is nothing. Or rekindle their original interest in the Lumineth in case there are units they like among the rest. Either way would be better than what we have now in my view. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

What good will it do us to know everything about the army but be unable to buy the models?  That, to me, would be the most frustrating position to be in.  I like what they have shown so far, but since they can't provide the models at the moment I'm content to be patient for a while until they can start up again.  I'm pretty sure they're all frustrated too.  Part of the joy in working creatively is to see your creation being appreciated and know that others are getting pleasure from it.  They are denied that as we are denied our hobby desires.  There's nothing they or we can do about it, so it seems pointless to get steamed up about it.  There are plenty of positive avenues to discuss about the Lumineth while we bide our time.

I have absolutely no problem with a drip feed of info in the current times. What has started to bother me is the way the drip feed has happened. If the cathallar was the last model in the range it would absolutely be best to say so. If this is the range I have to work with I can start to plan purchases, possible army lists, colour schemes etc. If not then I have another preview to look forward to in a few weeks. 

Gw loses absolutely nothing by saying one way or the other. The Sons of Behemat preview has been perfectly handled- a little joke in an earlier video, a teaser video with art, an article setting up the lore and a full reveal video with absolute clarity about what the range will contain. As a result the community is extremely excited about that release. 

The Lumineth on the other hand have been have been previewed at no less than 4 major shows ( if we count all the online shows as the Adepticon preview)  and have had fortnightly articles for months and we still don't know the full extent of the range. 

I have asked on twitter, Facebook and Instagram if this is the last model and have got no answer. Anyone else who has asked that question has also been ignored. In the faceboom thread the community team responded to other users making jokes, so they are clearly reading the comments. 

Likewise I and another user who is rather better known than me in the community asked if there would be a Lumineth lowdown article today. Again neither of us got a response. 

It is this silence that bothers me. I am understand that they might want to keep some things back to show in May. That's fine but if Lumineth fans wait till May only to see nothing, it will cause nothing but frustration.

• Like 1