Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

@herohammer You are not alone. I really like what they have done so far. I really like the models. I differ with you a bit on the basic troops, because I think these were necessary to do something more AoSy with the rest of the line. It's a good mixture. I also look forward to what comes next. Hopefully there is still something in there for people who don't like the Mountain faction. But. personally I'm really happy. 

The cavalry look so good I am still holding out hope for the range.  

And honestly, the Alarith Stoneguard look GREAT- aside from the top of the helmet. The hammers don't bother me at all, any more so than axes did on the White Lions.  So I am waiting it out, and will see what else they have in store.  I am hoping for at least one or two more kits that don't look as ridiculous as I (personally) find the cow stuff.

The art for the cow mage on a rock looks awesome, but it didn't translate all that well to the model from what I can tell so far.  Sort of how (to me) the art for OBR mortek looked killer but the models look like weird undead clowns. 

Overall I do think the range looks MOSTLY like the old High Elves, but then the twists just haven't been good.  And, to show some street cred my very first Warhammer model was Eltharion.  I was twelve and could not figure out why they would make a model with a metal peg on the bottom of the foot....

So I get the strong feelings.  I am just not down in the dumps yet.  Cautiously optimistic for a cool range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

I was considering what could be used to replace the Bull head. 

A Stone head of some sort , not sure yet.

I’m hoping there are extra heads in either the spearman or cavalry kits... if not then it may be a case of chopping and green stuff for me

5 hours ago, herohammer said:

Am I alone in thinking the cow spirits are the best lumineth models? I honestly was not interested in the release at all until they were revealed. The hammerers are pretty cool too. The basic troops just seem like nothing new to me and not very distinct from high elves from old WHFB. I am personally very glad this faction is not just shaping up to be a rerelease of high elves.

You are not alone. It's the best miniature of their range. But it has a big problem: it's not a dwarfs unit 😭 

But doesn't matter, I will convert one of them in to a Chaos Dwarf K'dai destroyer mauhahahaha

• Haha 1

That has a bit of different quality to it than normally. I like the art. Also a bit sad, the second article normally means we are in pre-order times. 

Edit: And yeah, if the Lumineth get a Terrain feature it’s very likely it’s some kind of Tower. 

Edited by LuminethMage
Additional comment

I think people need to expect and accept that sigmar isn’t going to have any new “normal” armies. Every new army has been that way for a long time. Personally I like their fantastical elements so it’s not an issue for me. I can understand those that don’t but unfortunately for them I don’t see it changing. 

On what we have the previews kind of make me feel they will be like Fyreslayers. Charged up with multiple wounds and maybe even a save after save. Then on offence will they get always strikes first back? Maybe something similar to OBR RDP as well? Also as they’re being touted as the best magic army what can we expect auto cast, +5 to cast ?? DoT and death both have ridiculous magic buffs so to be the best it needs to be pretty over the top. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beliman said:

You are not alone. It's the best miniature of their range. But it has a big problem: it's not a dwarfs unit 😭 

But doesn't matter, I will convert one of them in to a Chaos Dwarf K'dai destroyer mauhahahaha

My feelings exactly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

I think people need to expect and accept that sigmar isn’t going to have any new “normal” armies. Every new army has been that way for a long time. Personally I like their fantastical elements so it’s not an issue for me. I can understand those that don’t but unfortunately for them I don’t see it changing. 

On what we have the previews kind of make me feel they will be like Fyreslayers. Charged up with multiple wounds and maybe even a save after save. Then on offence will they get always strikes first back? Maybe something similar to OBR RDP as well? Also as they’re being touted as the best magic army what can we expect auto cast, +5 to cast ?? DoT and death both have ridiculous magic buffs so to be the best it needs to be pretty over the top. 

Will be interesting to see what mechanics they have. I personally hope they get some on their own like the OBR RDP, just based on magic. They already mentioned that the High Warden are in control of channeling magic into the spear units (and they look a little bit like fight/mages with the lamp and wand options). Looks a bit similar for the Sentinels. 

The Stoneguard does have a mountain stance. And interacts with the Stonemage and the Mountain Spirit if they are near. They do look like a tough units, as they are always talking about "unmovable" it could be some kind of charge-resistance, or just save-bonuses (maybe dependent on a trigger (haven't moved etc.). I don't see the Lumineth being that tough though outside of the mountain faction. 

In this respect I hope we see one more of the elemental temples. Something speed focused with some flyers (so wend or zenith). I really like the army so far, and would be ok if it basically stays like this, but an High Elf-inspired army without flying units and just one cavalry unit would feel a bit strange. 

I hope they get some kind of speed related bonuses, it just fits with elf armies and is also a big part of the Hysh fluff. But hopefully not a general always strikes first mechanic for all units. That would be really obnoxious for everyone else. 

38 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Will be interesting to see what mechanics they have. I personally hope they get some on their own like the OBR RDP, just based on magic. They already mentioned that the High Warden are in control of channeling magic into the spear units (and they look a little bit like fight/mages with the lamp and wand options). Looks a bit similar for the Sentinels. 

The Stoneguard does have a mountain stance. And interacts with the Stonemage and the Mountain Spirit if they are near. They do look like a tough units, as they are always talking about "unmovable" it could be some kind of charge-resistance, or just save-bonuses (maybe dependent on a trigger (haven't moved etc.). I don't see the Lumineth being that tough though outside of the mountain faction. 

In this respect I hope we see one more of the elemental temples. Something speed focused with some flyers (so wend or zenith). I really like the army so far, and would be ok if it basically stays like this, but an High Elf-inspired army without flying units and just one cavalry unit would feel a bit strange. 

I hope they get some kind of speed related bonuses, it just fits with elf armies and is also a big part of the Hysh fluff. But hopefully not a general always strikes first mechanic for all units. That would be really obnoxious for everyone else. 

The lore they’re giving them makes them sound overall super elite. Which I will be happy about as I have a horde addiction and it gets rough painting 100+ model armies. Especially with them looking very technical to paint I would like them to be a 40 odd model type force. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get some throwback style spells (something like speed of light for the speed up you mention) then maybe a modern remake of assault of stone. 

Im still excited :) and points wise, I dont think its a pure elite army. But it's probably shaping up to be an army that you can play as elite, or a bit more like a horde.  I mean for 1000 points you'd probably field 10 spearmen, 10 archers, a hero like Eltharion, the wind mage and 4/5 cavalry. Meaning something like:

20 spearmen: 2 x140
10 archers: 140
5 cavalry: 180
Eltharion: 180
Wind Mage/Veiled Lady: 200

Total 980 pts.

Or remove ELtharion and the lady to include a mountain avatar which could be like 300 points, so then leaves you a bit more space for a cheap hero/caster?

Then for 2000 points you probably increase spearmen, include Teclis (500pts) and another mountain avatar (300)?  

Edited by Wickie De Viking
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

The new Warriors of Chaos SC(!) was pretty 'normal'. I think between the overwhelmingly positive response to that, the early LRL reveals and the success of Cities of Sigmar will send a clear message there's a demand for less over-the-top designs.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Man, I hope so.  I had to distance myself for a couple days after that last reveal.

Hi Koradrel,

This is funny because I was actually really interested to hear your opinion on that reveal after all of the input you have had on this thread. Care to expand? I never really post on here but that reveal drew me out of hiding in sheer confusion.

High Elf Fans: What??? They Promised us new High elves, not cow elves, look at how impractical and over the top those helmets are, nothing at all like the high elves we all love!

Meanwhile:

high-elves-new-release-6.jpg

iwStCo4.jpg

Anyone who is both complaining about how over the top the helms are, and saying they wanted something more high elven has some serious cognitive dissonance. 

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

High Elf Fans: What??? They Promised us new High elves, not cow elves, look at how impractical and over the top those helmets are, nothing at all like the high elves we all love!

Meanwhile:

iwStCo4.jpg

Anyone who is both complaining about how over the top the helms are, and saying they wanted something more high elven has some serious cognitive dissonance. 

Finally, this is essentially what I have been mulling over. 

They complain about the hats, why the hats? The hats were just as comical and pointy and neck-breaking then as they are now.

C'mon guys, I honestly cannot tell the difference! One has a cow and the other has huge wings! Both will kill you in seconds! I don't even know where the riders head is under all that fancy helmet stuff!

If anything the hammerers look more like high elves than the spearmen or cavalry, not less!

Edited by Sttufe
  • Like 4

Right, if you don't like the Ox aesthetic that is totally valid, but trying to justify the righteousness of your dislike by arguing that the lumineth design choices are "over the top" or "not appropriate  in an elf army" is just so disingenuous it makes my heart hurt. 

• Like 5

I think the Cones and the Wings are way too iconic to be ignored. The wings made something impratical a great look and a sense of agility, movement and so on.

I keep comming to this image, and thinking: Gw finally have the tecnology to make a model as cool as this artwork, but they didnt, and it is a bummer for High Elves fans.

aenerion.jpg.f2faded841d15984808e1234fd80a3d3.jpg

• Like 3

Tastes are different. 

I was an old high elf player, and I personally think the Ox heads are more tasteful, and less comical then sticking dragon and griffon wings on everything, but that's the way tastes work. 

It is totally fine, to wish for carbon copies of old high elf aesthetics, or to not like Ox themes, or too think that the lumineth are  simply too over the top for their taste, but when people argue about the last two points by referencing the first as an excuse, or that an ox theme isn't appropriate for an aelven faction that I feel the need to jump in and point out the hypocrisy. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Meanwhile:

iwStCo4.jpg

Honestly, about 15 years ago it was the view of the silly hats of High Elves (and the rules hurdle) that kept me out of Warhammer. If my friend had had an Empire or Dwarfs army, I might have been drawn in (though the rules hurdle might have been enough to keep it just to the models).

I liked the prospect of new plastic with sensible designs when the Lumineth were revealed, but now I don't see any hope of Age of Sigmar having longevity for me.

Somehow, if you want to see biologically possible models, you have to go to Chaos, because Order largely fails you (except for survivors of the end times, and for how long that lasts).

Honestly for me, it came down to we used to have really awesome preditor animals for most of our allies, to having one if the biggest prey animals in this update.  And yes, you could argue that in other culture the ox or cow or yak has deep cultural significance, or that the in game explanation is a mythical immortal beast.  But the High Elf race was THE Dragon race.  We had the Dragonlord Imrik himself, who could command even other races' dragons.  It just feels like a step down for me to go from Dragonlord to Bull Master.

@Thiagoma That picture is also probably my favorite piece of Warhammer artwork ever.  That was my phone backrground for a long time until my kids came along!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1