Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

9 minutes ago, Wyliekyote said:

Well, the Dawnriders only get one melee with their lance, so seem to fit the style so far.  BUT its a missile and a melee weapon.  So does that mean it can attack in both of those rounds?!? (and I like his command point generation!)

And how the Altairi Blade gains damage as the game goes on?  Hmmmm.  nice!

I’d agree, but Eltharion gets 4 attacks of a very similar profile, as well as 2 more attacks with another weapon and a mortal wounds ranged attack on a 2+. So unless Lyrior is under 220pts he must have attacks from somewhere else/more attacks on the charge or it’s a misprint imo.

@Acid_Nine, I want to know about the Loreseeker too! I love the model so I’m 100% getting one to be Eltharion’s second. Hopefully he’ll finally be a good fighter-caster.

Edited by Tiberius501

49 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

UK prices for anyone interested 

- Mortevell's Helcourt: 65€ - £50.00

- Horrek's Dreadlance: 90€ - £74.00

- Invidian Plaguehost: 70€ - £55.00

- Xintil War-magi: 65€ - £50.00

FEC (Helcourt) = £72.50 RPP/£22.50 saving.

Ossiarch (Dreadlance) = £100 RRP/£26 saving.

Nurgle (Plaguehost) = £85 RPP/£30 saving.

CoS (War-magi) = £70 RRP/£20 saving.

The Luminarks are usually Direct Only, so if you take the usual third party 10%/20% off then CoS players get a decent discount.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

I just looked at the LRL preorders preview and I'm kind of drooling...

Must... not... give...in... *slaps himself* ... Not... another... army... *slap slap slap*

The Twins seem like a cool buy, though, even for those not playing the LRL. The only problem I have with them is that Ellania seems less like an elf and more like an alien princess from 1950 sci-fi art. Seriously, she's wearing a space suit! :D

• Like 1

Gonna see what the new book brings personally. I already spent like $500 on LRL I dont wanna spend another 500 lol

On release I will get the book/cards and Golden shower tower

I like the swordmasters and the loremaster, and maybe the mounted general but will see when I can work out a list  
image.png.730609cd2c4fc17c522006463b85df61.png

Edited by Chumphammer
  • Haha 2

I have the question regarding the books.

BR: Teclis and LRL Battletome 2.0 are coming out at the same time, right? So... is there a point to buy both of them, if I'm mostly interested in the updated LRL lore and units? I bought BR: Morathi but, with the new DoK battletome, it seems that what I mostly got out of this book was the story... but paying 20 bucks or so for a story seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

49 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

I have the question regarding the books.

BR: Teclis and LRL Battletome 2.0 are coming out at the same time, right? So... is there a point to buy both of them, if I'm mostly interested in the updated LRL lore and units? I bought BR: Morathi but, with the new DoK battletome, it seems that what I mostly got out of this book was the story... but paying 20 bucks or so for a story seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

Well, if you only want the Lumineth rules, the Battletome should be enough. If you also play Cities, Flesh-Eater Courts, Ossiarch Bonereapers or Nurgle the BR would be useful too. I also think, if its anything like BR:Morathi, it would be worth it for the story alone. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’d agree, but Eltharion gets 4 attacks of a very similar profile, as well as 2 more attacks with another weapon and a mortal wounds ranged attack on a 2+. So unless Lyrior is under 220pts he must have attacks from somewhere else/more attacks on the charge or it’s a misprint imo.

@Acid_Nine, I want to know about the Loreseeker too! I love the model so I’m 100% getting one to be Eltharion’s second. Hopefully he’ll finally be a good fighter-caster.

I doubt Lyrior will be as good in combat as Eltharion, who is a beast : ).

I’m also slightly disappointed about the 1 attack but I’m sure he’ll have something like Deadly Furrows. Probably also will have some buffs, and be a bit more of an general than a duelist. 

And these articles can always be a bit misleading. Remember when they showed the Twinstones - and all it looked like they do was to increase the number on the dice you place next to them, because they forgot to show what they actual ability is? 😆

I’m also really looking forward to the Loreseeker, I wonde how they implement the “stronger alone” ability they spoke about. I find that very intriguing. 

All in all pretty cool, flavorful abilities so far. And the Lumineth for sure must have had a visit from a Crafteorld or two with al the laser fire they have. Pew pew! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

I doubt Lyrior will be as good in combat as Eltharion, who is a beast : ).

I’m also slightly disappointed about the 1 attack but I’m sure he’ll have something like Deadly Furrows. Probably also will have some buffs, and be a bit more of an general than a duelist. 

And these articles can always be a bit misleading. Remember when they showed the Twinstones - and all it looked like they do was to increase the number on the dice you place next to them, because they forgot to show what they actual ability is? 😆

I’m also really looking forward to the Loreseeker, I wonde how they implement the “stronger alone” ability they spoke about. I find that very intriguing. 

All in all pretty cool, flavorful abilities so far. And the Lumineth for sure must have had a visit from a Crafteorld or two with al the laser fire they have. Pew pew! 

While I could of course be mistaken, I'd be really surprised if Daemonbane was the only attack on Lyrior's profile - keep in mind that he's meant to be an elite Lord-Regent, and the normal Lord-Regents (based on the model) are going to have standard sword attacks as well (probably at 4 attacks, 3+/3+/-1/1 or something, which puts them in line with most generic melee heroes). So he'll probably have one big attack with the lance, then a few regular sword attacks, like the Dawnrider champion. Then, let's not forget his mount will definitely have attacks as well.

I'm expecting that on his own he'll be solid, though not a combat monster. But hopefully he'll have enough punch that opponents will need to respect the damage him + a unit of Dawnriders could do if they double charge into their flank.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, l1censetochill said:

While I could of course be mistaken, I'd be really surprised if Daemonbane was the only attack on Lyrior's profile - keep in mind that he's meant to be an elite Lord-Regent, and the normal Lord-Regents (based on the model) are going to have standard sword attacks as well (probably at 4 attacks, 3+/3+/-1/1 or something, which puts them in line with most generic melee heroes). So he'll probably have one big attack with the lance, then a few regular sword attacks, like the Dawnrider champion. Then, let's not forget his mount will definitely have attacks as well.

I'm expecting that on his own he'll be solid, though not a combat monster. But hopefully he'll have enough punch that opponents will need to respect the damage him + a unit of Dawnriders could do if they double charge into their flank.

For sure, at least his mount will have some attacks. He also has a sword so he could use that too, agreed. I also don’t think that’s his only attack - but likely the only “good” one, and I’d be surprised if he really ends up with only one attack with Demonbane. That would be pretty bad for a special weapon like that, less than 2 damage on average. Zandtos has 3 attacks with his main weapon (which has worse stats though). 1 is just really rough, even with 2/2/-2. 

And yeah likely he’s not a combat monster, but more of an all around useful unit, with good fighting skills. 

Probably his attacks will be better on the charge, and he’ll have more attacks with demonbane at least conditionally - is what I’m assuming. Like I said, I also don’t think he’ll be on Eltharions level (nor should he be). We have very similar expectations I think : ). He should help Dawnriders to be a bit more all-around useful when he’s with them. 

So far none of our characters has been outright bad, so I’m not worried : ) 

Finally had my first game with the lumineth versus the new daughters of khaine and it was basically game over  bottom of turn 2. I did mess up some things, but boy the lumineth had a whole lot to remember with them! I forgot they even had aether quarts reserves until my turn, and  I vastly overestimated the usefulness of the spearmen @-@

the idea I had was to buff up my guys, walk them forward and present a strong front that could take a charge, which was looking good until the double turn, which deleted my big block of 20 guys and most of my manpower. I did cast ethereal blessings on them, but I realized it was a detriment TBH, because the main enemy had no rend which would have made my +1 to saves all the more worth while. Add to that the melusainhad a horde breaking mortal wound cloud and it was game over for me.

funny thing was the guy I played with was basically cussing out eltharion the entire time, and was even vindicated when he deleted half the 20 man block of witch aelves, but since we were playing star strike there was no way I could win on objectives so we called it

• Like 1

Where are your archers to cover your wall of shields!

It does sound like you made a couple of mistakes which would’ve changed things quite a bit. 3+ saves instead of ethereal, Protection of Hysh as well might’ve been handy against such a killy opponent. 
Also I HATE random turn rolls, me and my group houserule it out because it’s been more of a detriment than fun in our experience. So I can understand why that hurt you quite badly, but I also understand a lot of people aren’t lucky enough to be able to houserule it out.

I’d be interested to see how you go in another game. 

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

Add to that the melusainhad a horde breaking mortal wound cloud and it was game over for me.

Horde breaking? Do you mean the Crystal Touch of the Blood Sisters? Just a quick heads-up, its one dice per Melusai, not per model in the target unit. So its better against smaller units. 

If you played it like this, forget that I said anything. But thats a common mistake with abilities like this.

I haven’t gotten to play a game yet myself, but I have been getting itchy to so I was rolling the limited edition dice (the barrel ones) and I’m still surprised at how satisfying they are to roll and how easy they are to read. I’m super impressed. I can’t wait to play a game with them.

EDIT: Ooo, random thought. Sanctum of Amyntok on a Loreseeker will potentially be pretty hot. 

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 3

Which (if any) of the characters do you think will have a command ability to reset shining light, I would really like that as a command ability and think it would sit very nicely with the banner guy. 

This is going to get expensive though. 

Already can’t fit everything I want in an army though so that might mitigate some of my spending. 

@Acid_Nine Don’t worry, there is really a lot to remember with the Lumineth, AoSReminder is a godsend when playing them. And even using that tool, my head was spinning the first few times playing them. And all that thinking about their abilities and what to do can lead to making general strategic/tactical misses. 

I’d recommend playing Syar when you start out with them. This lets you get used to Aetherquartz fast, and 2 AQ are super useful in itself. You also can experiment with the extra spell and other AQ abilities more, and not just use them for better saves. 

Your Warden are great, but they still have only one wound, especially if you don’t have Protection of Hysh/Teclis, they still can die fast. But also make sure to remember the better stats when they are attacked and your mortal wound ability. This alone can make sure that your opponent has to roll for batteshock which you then can make really hurt. 

Also, make sure to not forget Darkness of the Soul, the Warscrolls spell of the Cathallar. This is such a good spell against threats like a nice block of 20 Witch Aelves for example. Choosing and using your spells correctly is also really important for a Vanari-focused army. 

@Allonairre The Lore of Wind/Hurakan could potentially have a teleport spell which normally lets you re-set up your units, which would mean you could put them back into a Shining Company. Not super likely, but not impossible. As a command ability, yup, the Bannerblade or the Lord Regent would be the logical choices for something like that. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Also, make sure to not forget Darkness of the Soul, the Warscrolls spell of the Cathallar. This is such a good spell against threats like a nice block of 20 Witch Aelves for example. Choosing and using your spells correctly is also really important for a Vanari-focused army. 

This is great advice. If you are running Cathallar and Stone Mage then it’s very possible to lock down a unit indefinitely. They only have bravery 7 so maybe 10 if there’s 30 of them. (-2 from Cathallar and Voice of the mountains) you only need to buy 1 turn though. 

@LuminethMage A teleport spell would be pretty high on my list of nice to haves, don’t need to reset Shining Company if you just land on objectives Turn 1. 

3 hours ago, Allonairre said:

This is great advice. If you are running Cathallar and Stone Mage then it’s very possible to lock down a unit indefinitely. They only have bravery 7 so maybe 10 if there’s 30 of them. (-2 from Cathallar and Voice of the mountains) you only need to buy 1 turn though. 

The bonuses in the bravery for more models in the unit only applies to the battleshock tests so they won't be able to use that bonus.. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

The bonuses in the bravery for more models in the unit only applies to the battleshock tests so they won't be able to use that bonus.. 😉

Even better pass 3 checks on leadership 5 to move charge and fight me. 

while I am asking dumb questions, on a Bale wind vortex is the range of protection of Hysh increased by 6? Currently I find it a bit frustrating as wholly within 9” is very short, sometimes I wonder if a unit of 30 could even cast the spell on itself. 

• Like 1