AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

42 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

The warscroll builder is as much a GW product as the warscroll itself. Yes it can be flawed but no more than warscrolls. The rules over unit variations can be interpreted on the warscroll while the variations in the builder can not. If the builder is wrong, it will be changed. If it is not, without an FAQ you can read it is as no unit variations.

It is produced and updated by a(brilliant) member of the public, GW just offered to host it on their website...

Edited by The World Tree
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mmimzie said:

This looks great. I do agree alittle with @Rizara, but I have played skaven where my battleshick immunity around my bells is 13" with little issue. It does change how you move your models and how you recover casualties. It just makes you have to think a but more about model plavement. 

Either way I think the list looks awesome. 

Only concern might be the warrior seem like units with out a purpose?  Warriors wanna be Inna big 20 block mixing weapons. This way they benefit from buffs better.

The challenge is getting Archaon into a Plaugetouched Warband which requires 1 hero and 7 mortal units. Archaon counts as the hero but then it starts to get tight on points. Maybe the Varanguard need to be replaced with something else but then that leaves Achaon as the only hammer. 

TBH it might be a stretch to far to make this battalion work with him. 

Right so dusted off my older Slaves to Darkness models last night and proxied up some units with a friend. We played mirror matches so we could test out more ideas from the book and probably got a number of rules wrong....

Initial thoughts:

Daemon Princes were the MVP's

They are a swiss-army knife for only 210 points and when taken in Despoilers they are quite durable. Its early days but I don't want to leave home without 2 in the army list. The two standouts where the Khorne and Nurgle abilities:

• Khorne felt more flexible with the ability to restrict movement (Bloodslick ground) always feeling powerful. Its actually quite frustrating being on the other end of this ability. Especially when a Chaos Sorceress is also throwing around Whispers of Chaos.
  • Nurgle's bloated blessings is certainly a powerful effect that is just brutal when used correctly but you have to build around it. Combined with  Plaugetouched the attrition rate can be debilitating to opposing units in prolonged combats. It also feels like a 'catch-up mechanic' if you make poor decisions and end up in poor combats as stuff will take damage regardless of your skill.
  • Didn't try Slannesh so cannot comment on Revel in Agony.

Overall, Khorne felt more powerful when used wisely as the 18" bubble halving opponents movement is always strong and it cannot be countered!

Chaos Warriors

We played with mixed weapons and just proxied them. Didn't get to try out every combination but we felt bigger units were far superior than 5-10 squads. Re-rolling saves is a big deal and my initial thoughts on running 10 man units was wrong as without the re-rolls the Warriors are too expensive IMO . I am leaning towards one single unit of 20 as an anvil. 

• Warriors are slow and we couldn't find  many ways to speed them up 
    • Tried teleportation them with Mask of Darkness but we struggled to reliably get the spell off (poor dice rolls). Assume this is a powerful combination maybe best used with Marauders though.
    • Paragon or Ruin (DP trait) was actually pretty decent with the D3 5" moves
  •  With the exception of Nurgle it felt like Marauders with their reliable charges were just better.
    • Nurgle with the Plaugetuoched and Bloated Blessings made Warriors for me personally though. It makes little difference what they ended up in combat with  as your opponent is going to roll 6's and 40 Warrior wounds is durable. If your general is also Nurgle the -1 from missiles is also very noticeable given how slow these guys are.
    • Didn't try the Harbinger combo for the 5+ FNP combo but I could see that being pretty strong

Overall, I am happy with Warriors they are not bad by any means but Marauders feel a little more flexible  for the points. More testing needed to find the sweet spot but I am sticking with them.

Mauraders

I personally didn't use them as i sold all the models sometime ago but my friend did. They seemed like a reliable missile that left a hole in whatever they collided with.  The charge rule that turns a dice into a 6 (i think) is just really awesome......wish Chaos Warriors had this rule!

• Yes, Mask of Darkness on these guys is awesome "if" you can cast it reliably

More testing is needed but looking at how flexible Marauders were for my friend I couldn't help but feel they are a better choice than Warriors. Maurauders get better in bigger numbers but are also not terrible as a throw away objective holder. Warriors without the re-roll to saves are overpriced for what they actually do in combat.

Chaos Knights

Not too bad but maybe a little overpriced still. I ran with the lances and they felt strong until you got stuck in combat or where charged at which point they become a waste of 180 points. That said when run with the Khorne DP you can be quite aggressive with movement when inside the 18" bubble. 

We only had two units to share so testing was limited but they felt reliable and valuable in battle. The problem was at no point was I thinking 'WOW' these guys are awesome which is the feeling you want from a hammer type unit. 

• Next battle I want to try a unit of 10 Mark of Slannesh with a DP in tow

Overall, reserving judgment for now...

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (foot)

Great value for the points and a powerful ability that allows saves to be re-rolled.

Chaos Lord (foot)

Not great in combat but an extremely powerful ability (Spurred by the Gods)

• I was blindsided by this ability combined with the Battalion 'Godsworn Champions Ruin'.  Long story short my friend hit me with his Chaos Lord of Karkadrak (Helm of Many eyes) and proceeded to annihilate entire units. I scooped pretty quick as I just wasn't prepared to deal with that and walked right into it.
  • While we didn't play with Archaon if you could Spurred by the Gods of on him or a unit of Varanguard it would be brutal.
  • Weakness is its a lord of foot with limited movement

Early days and hope to get some more testing in over the Summer break now that I am back playing again.

Edited by Gibs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Rizara said:

my bet is that the Chaos warriors are like they always have been, all using the same type of weapon.  meaning you either go with sword and board, double swords, great weapons, or halberds.  Mixxing them would be sweet but they have never been like that.  

Someone already posted the FAQ on it. You get mutually exclusive weapon choices when the warscroll says “...the unit is armed with” and you get mixed weapons when it says “...models, each armed”. It’s a global rule on all units with that specific wording. Not just Warriors, not just Slaves, not just Chaos. ANY unit with that wording.

The Runeshield rules aren’t probably not Rules As Intended on the Warscroll, but how it’s worded right now; they only work when you have two or more shields in the unit.

Besides that’s a very specious argument. It’s in a new rulebook with tons of new rules. Are we going to ignore any other warscroll changes because that’s not how the old ones work? Clearly not.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila
Clarification

Okay, had a go writing up a list. The aim is to have a build that is competitive enough to go to a tournament, but also to use the rule of cool, so dated models like marauders are out and units like the Karkadrak are in.

The idea of the build is to pick the opponent apart by applying asymmetric pressure. This is achieved by nuking the opponents units by making them strike last and hammering them, while using out movement gimmicks to prevent the opponent having reliable counter charges. Basically at at time, in a 2000 point battle i want the ratio of value in the fights in my favor but having multiple units charge a single unit, while also enuring that my units all fight first by either having strike first the unit they're fighting having strike last.

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness - Damned Legion: Despoilers
LEADERS
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250) - General - Command Trait : Radiance of Dark Glory  - Artefact :  Helm of Many Eyes  - Mark of Chaos : Slaanesh
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) - Axe - Artefact :  Ethereal Amulet  - Mark of Chaos : Khorne
Be'Lakor - Whispers spell (240)
UNITS
1 x Chaos Chariots (120) - Greatblades - Mark of Chaos : Slaanesh
1 x Chaos Chariots (120) - Greatblades - Mark of Chaos : Slaanesh
10 x Chaos Warriors (200) - Hand Weapon & Shield - Mark of Chaos : Khorne
10 x Chaos Knights (360) - Cursed Lance - Mark of Chaos : Slaanesh
1 x Mindstealer Sphiranx (100)
1 x Mindstealer Sphiranx (100)
1 x Gorebeast Chariots (150) - Mark of Chaos : Slaanesh
BATTALIONS
Ruinbringer Warband (140)

I chose Slanesh for the Ruinbringer as the army really needs to enure favorable positioning.

Mindstealers haven't seen much love from what I've read in the forum but they are INSANELY GOOD. Cheap monster that heals in despoilers, has good stats for it's cost and has an ability that doesn't cost a CP to use but it better than 90% of the command abilities in the game.

Be'lakor's pick a unit and they need 5's to do anything is powerful. I don't usually like once a game effects but used at the right time on the right unit and it's just so good. Casting whispers with him isn't reliable with 7 to cast and the opponent trying to dispel but even if he only gets it off once a game, that's a unit out of play for a turn, which is likely a temporary swing of a few hundred points in our favor, allowing us to apply more asymmetric pressure. He's also really tanky, he'll have a 4+, 5+, 6+ for his saves (natural, dispoilers, undivided hero), and he regains wounds fast as a despoiler and via breaking units.

Chariots also haven't seen much love but I think they have merit in a list like this. 1: they're easy to fit in an 18' bubble, as for them it just means touching as they're single model units. 2: They get a decent amount of mortal wounds on the charge and then their actual combat isn't bad when run as singles so they're all unit champions.

4 hours ago, Mcthew said:

Agreed - it is not. However in the absence of an FAQ to an interpreted warscroll, it is a qualifier.

The default then is no mixed units until either an FAQ comes out or the builder is changed, whichever comes first. 

The default is the base faq already out and the war scroll as printed that follows that faq. With current rules you can indeed mix you weapons until an FAQ comes out. 

Note there exist no where that blanket says "all unit default to an all or nothing state, unless stayed otherwise" what is stated is that if it reads as options you get options and Visa versa. 

Personally I'm not touching the unit any time soon just Incase they change it, as they can change it at anytime.  However, as a player we don't honestly have any ground to tell some one they can't mix with current rules. 

8 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

The default is the base faq already out and the war scroll as printed that follows that faq. With current rules you can indeed mix you weapons until an FAQ comes out. 

Note there exist no where that blanket says "all unit default to an all or nothing state, unless stayed otherwise" what is stated is that if it reads as options you get options and Visa versa. 

Personally I'm not touching the unit any time soon just Incase they change it, as they can change it at anytime.  However, as a player we don't honestly have any ground to tell some one they can't mix with current rules. 

Exactly; yes it’s wise to wait, but there is literally no reason to conclude that you can’t mix weapons.

If you need to build Warriors though, sets of 3 Double Hand weapons is a safe bet. You get 16 in a box anyway so you can build 6 of those and wait on the other 10.

2 hours ago, Coolwood said:

Hey guys, what are we thinking to the new lord on karkadrak? 250 seems quite steep for him competitively in my view. Anyone got any build ideas apart from the obvious - lots of knights?

Him +marauders and ruinbringer warband can do lots of free mortal wound just for connecting charges. 

With a chaos Lord he can be a real threat getting to swing twice, and as hero he can be buffed with reroll hits and wounds against hero's and monsters from our spell lore. 

2 hours ago, Gibs said:

Khorne felt more powerful when used wisely as the 18" bubble halvin

Depending on cp a good screen could do the same with out expending your CP. For instance untamed beast make an amazing screen that can push back enemies that teleport in. Also the untamed can work turn 1 it your opponent goes first.

2 hours ago, Gibs said:

Marauders were for my friend I couldn't help but feel they are a better choice than Warriors

I think one thing to consider is that the warriors better utilize the chaos Lord ability. As with rerollimg saves and a 4+ they won't lose as much as marauders between activations. 

Lots of marauders are also vulnerable to battleshock which can be read as being vulnerable to shooting and magic.

4 hours ago, Charleston said:

Reading some Nurgle Lists around the Web, I wonder why noone wants to include a Harbringer of Decay. The CA gives the Nurgle 5++ in a 7" Aura. Seems to me quite desireble, especially as with all that damage reflection we want to tank as much as possible. With the Rune Shields we effectivly get rid of about a half of all mortals with it.

Also, I wonder that I haven´t see people concider 20-40 Marauders to teleport for a turn 1  teleport. Against Armies that have to protect their backline Supporters, this allows to do some harm and in best case delay the opponents movement as he has to deal with the marauders before loosing any heroes. If the spells fails, or the opponents conciders this tactic during deployment, there is still a wall of chaff left. The teleport spell can also become handy and yet it is no shame to not use it as both our sorcerer warscrolls have great signature spells. This whole thing is also independent to marks

I agree.

Competitively all Nurgle lists should have Harbinger, with old measurement rules he can keep everything  in his bubble.

All StD lists should have teleport, it's a spell that can win the game single-handedly and forces opponent to deploy worse even if it doesn't go off. And it has very low opportunity cost because all StD scroll spells are already good, so you're not robbing yourself out of useful cast if you take it.

3 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

I agree.

Competitively all Nurgle lists should have Harbinger, with old measurement rules he can keep everything  in his bubble.

All StD lists should have teleport, it's a spell that can win the game single-handedly and forces opponent to deploy worse even if it doesn't go off. And it has very low opportunity cost because all StD scroll spells are already good, so you're not robbing yourself out of useful cast if you take it.

Thoughts on this Nurgle list?

Despoilers

Plauge Battalion

• Chaos Lord (Demonic Mount) or Chaos Lord (foot) for warriors attacking twice?
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord
  • Chaos Warriors (15)
  • Chaos Warriors (15)
  • Chaos Knights (5)
  • Chaos Knights (5)
  • Marauder Horsemen (5)
  • Marauder Horsemen (5)

Other

• Daemon Prince

Allied

• Harbinger of Decay

Pretty sure that comes out at 1990/1950 points

Edited by Gibs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibs said:

Thoughts on this Nurgle list?

Despoilers

Plauge Battalion

• Chaos Lord (Demonic Mount) or Chaos Lord (foot) for warriors attacking twice?
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord
  • Chaos Warriors (20)
  • Chaos Warriors (20)
  • Chaos Knights (10)
  • Marauder Horsemen (5)
  • Marauder Horsemen (5)

Other

• Daemon Prince
  • Could drop Warriors down to 15 man squads to squeeze in another Daemon Prince

Allied

• Harbinger of Decay

Pretty sure that comes out at 1990/1950 points

Not bad, I think one set of warriors is all you want to take so I would consider dropping one 20 block for 40 marauders and save 100 points.  I would strongly consider trying to get a nurgle warshrine in as the buffs it offers are pretty great.

17 hours ago, Seraphina of the Seraphim said:

What about something like this?

RAVAGERS(2480)

1 CP

Heroes:

Lord on Kardadrak(250)

-Chaos Undivided

-Ruinbringer Warband

-Flames of Spite

-Sword of Judgements(Ulgu) 

Chaos Lord(110)

-Chaos Undivided

-Bolstered by Hate

Chaos Sorcerer Lord(110)

-Chaos Undivided 

-Mask of Darkness

Chaos Sorcerer Lord(110)

-Chaos Undivided

-Unquestioned Resolve

-Whispers of Chaos

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore(260)

-Chaos Undivided

-Master of Deception

-Binding Damnation

Darkoath Warqueen(90)

-Chaos Undivided

-Favoured of the Pantheon

-Dimensional Blade(Ulgu) 

Darkoath Chieftain(90)

-Chaos Undivided

-Eternal Vendetta

Battleline:

40x Marauders(300)

-Chaos Undivided 

40x Marauders(300)

-Chaos Undivided 

5x Marauder Horsemen(90)

-Chaos Undivided

-Ruinbringer Warband

5x Marauder Horsemen(90)

-Chaos Undivided

-Ruinbringer Warband

5x Marauder Horsemen(90)

-Chaos Undivided

-Ruinbringer Warband

5x Marauder Horsemen(90)

-Chaos Undivided

-Ruinbringer Warband

10x Chaos Knights(360)

-Chaos Undivided 

-Ruinbringer Warband

Battalions:

Ruinbringer Warband(140)

You have 7 heroes listed when the limit is 6, so you'll need to take one out.

1 hour ago, Death1942 said:

Not bad, I think one set of warriors is all you want to take so I would consider dropping one 20 block for 40 marauders and save 100 points.  I would strongly consider trying to get a nurgle warshrine in as the buffs it offers are pretty great.

I have a no Marauder (on foot) policy in most of my lists even though I am aware they are superior to Warriors in many ways.  Warshrine is a good shout and I did toy around with it but its challenging to fit into the list and eats into batteline unit points.

• Might be worth dropping the Warriors down to 15 man squads as that opens up 200 points
  • Not sure about the Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, the theory  it adds quite a bit or reliability to the block of knights. There is another 60 points in savings if I drop that in favor of a Chaos Lord on foot.
  • Have not tested a Knight unit of 10 yet so very unsure if its worth dropping 360 points on
    • If it proves effective then I might drop consider one block on Warriors and tow units of 10 Knights for the added mobility
    • This might be very interesting if the sorceress teleports  the Warriors behind enemy lines

Edited by Gibs

14 minutes ago, Gibs said:

I have a no Marauder (on foot) policy in most of my lists even though I am aware they are superior to Warriors in many ways.  Warshrine is a good shout and I did toy around with it but its challenging to fit into the list and eats into batteline unit points.

• Might be worth dropping the Warriors down to 15 man squads as that opens up 200 points
  • Not sure about the Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, the theory  it adds quite a bit or reliability to the block of knights. There is another 60 points in savings if I drop that in favor of a Chaos Lord on foot.
  • Have not tested a Knight unit of 10 yet so very unsure if its worth dropping 360 points on
    • If it proves effective then I might drop consider one block on Warriors and tow units of 10 Knights for the added mobility
    • This might be very interesting if the sorceress teleports  the Warriors behind enemy lines

Completely fair, those models are definitely showing their age.  Unfortunate that they are just so good in this book and they didn't give us a new kit.

If you are going to drop the warriors down to 15 then you may as well combine them into 1 block of 30.  If you opt for that route then I would strongly consider 10 knights to hold other objectives (they are a decent defensive unit, not amazing offensively without huge amounts of buffs).

I think the CLoDM is a really strong version of the unit, you will most likely find that in theory the chaos lord will stomp around with the warriors and so foot is fine, but in reality you will need to shift him around to critical points on the battlefield and so the extra speed on the mount is better.

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

You have 7 heroes listed when the limit is 6, so you'll need to take one out.

The no. Of heroes that can receive Command Traits is 6, that's why my Mask of Darkness Sorc id without. 

If you meant like, list building wise, 6 is the limit for 2k, but this is a 2.5k list, where the limit is 8 heroes

I am thinking about a semi casual despoiler list I am keen to try out:

- Be'lakor

- Korne Daemon Prince general

- Nurgle Daemon Prince

- Sorcerer Lord Nurgle

- 15 x Warriors Korne

- 10 x Warriors Nurgle

- 10 x Knights Korne

- Slaughterbrute

- Fomoroid crusher

- Fomoroid crusher

I like the potential of throwing a crusher up with the spell turn 1 towards the best piece of terrain the opponent deployed around and doing a bunch of MWs with his insurmountable strength ability.  Would be situational and tough to pull off, so could not rely on it but the idea is just fun.

The Nurgle warriors would be to hold back field with the sorcerer who would ideally give the knights reroll saves turn one then can give it to the warriors in later turns when they drop under 10 men.  The 15 unit would move to objectives up the board and have the extra bodies so they can keep their own reroll saves for a few turns.

The knights, brute, crushers and DPs would all head off as a group as much as possible or split up if needed with the korne units staying within the 18" of the DP as much as possible 

I may switch the nurgle mark around to something else as well, not 100% settled on that yet.

• Like 1

Looks like I can get another game this evening. Will be against OBR again, althrough this time my buddy said something about Ivory Host and Katakross.
I will keep the despoilers around, althrough this time I will focus more on units and less on monsters:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
- Spell: Binding Damnation
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Spell: Spite-tongue Curse

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Sword
- Trait: Lightning Reflexes
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
20 x Chaos Warriors (400)
- Paired Hand Weapons
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Chaos Chosen (280)
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

As this list is somewhat relying on CP´s and I fear Katakross CP Steal, it was the perfect timing to play a battalion this time. The Mantle of the Despoilers was awesome last time as it brought me 3 CP´s, but odds may change. Nevertheless, havin 2 Save CP and a chance to add up to 2 more save CP is fine.

DP is well protected as I hope that it will perform well again and therefore that keeping him alive is worth it. The -2 against shooting shall give a certain resistance against Catapults.

The Plan this time is to roll buckets of dice and hope for some nurgle-triggers.

4 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

Maybe I'm oblivious, but I can't seem to find rules for the mammoth anywhere.  I'm assuming it's a no longer made forgeworld model? 

Correct it is no longer made 😞

Rules still exist though,  you can find them on the age of sigmar app and there is a PDF for FW models rules that includes it found somewhere on their website.

Edited by Tali182

2 minutes ago, Tali182 said:

Correct it is no longer made 😞

Rules still exist though,  you can find them on the age of sigmar app and there is a PDF for FW models rules that includes it foudn somewhere on their website.

RIP.  The mumakil has always made a decent stand in though.  I'll bring my norscan army back if I have to drag its corpse back from hell.  Or a tzeentch army, either or lol

12 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

Maybe I'm oblivious, but I can't seem to find rules for the mammoth anywhere.  I'm assuming it's a no longer made forgeworld model? 

There you go:warhammer-aos-monstrous-arcanum.pdf

imo it‘s good on its own and a absolute murder with a few buffs to its trampling feet

edit: I am really astonished that no one apart from me builds lists with it.

Edited by JackStreicher

3 hours ago, Seraphina of the Seraphim said:

The no. Of heroes that can receive Command Traits is 6, that's why my Mask of Darkness Sorc id without. 

If you meant like, list building wise, 6 is the limit for 2k, but this is a 2.5k list, where the limit is 8 heroes

Sorry, my mistake.  I was indeed thinking it was a 2000 point list. Apologies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Looks like I can get another game this evening. Will be against OBR again, althrough this time my buddy said something about Ivory Host and Katakross.
I will keep the despoilers around, althrough this time I will focus more on units and less on monsters:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers
Chaos Lord (110)
- Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
- Spell: Binding Damnation
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Spell: Spite-tongue Curse

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Sword
- Trait: Lightning Reflexes
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
20 x Chaos Warriors (400)
- Paired Hand Weapons
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Chaos Chosen (280)
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

As this list is somewhat relying on CP´s and I fear Katakross CP Steal, it was the perfect timing to play a battalion this time. The Mantle of the Despoilers was awesome last time as it brought me 3 CP´s, but odds may change. Nevertheless, havin 2 Save CP and a chance to add up to 2 more save CP is fine.

DP is well protected as I hope that it will perform well again and therefore that keeping him alive is worth it. The -2 against shooting shall give a certain resistance against Catapults.

The Plan this time is to roll buckets of dice and hope for some nurgle-triggers.

Can you find room for a Harbinger from the Nurgle book?