So, with a potential storming of the allpoints by Katakros, who do you think would win in a Katakros/Archaon showdown? The (n)Everchosen vs. the (mostly) Undefeated? Who's the better tactitian? How far will Katakros get? I mean, he probably won't conquer the Allpoints, but will he be able to establish a foothold in what could be the single most tactically important location in the realms? Find out next on...hang on, wait a minute, what? Anyway-Katakros or Archaon?

• Haha 3

While the new fluff does paint an impressive picture of Katakros, Archaon has outmatched and outsmarted Sigmar and the pantheon of gods before. Katakros might be able to get somewhere, but probably not long by himself, he after all only commands a fraction of the armies of Shyish and Nagash, and if it was so "easy" to take the allpoints, it would or should have happened much sooner.

Of course anything can happen, maybe some other factions finds opportunity in this conflict to tip the scales. Perhaps even if he was backed up by other Mortarchs. At least Nagash is the only God who has managed to really put a hard focus on his middle management team. In forbidden power Lady Olynder send the celestand prime packing to release Katakros in the first place and it sounds like he is more potent than she is. There is a short story in the battletome where Katakros and his retinue is engaged by a Lord of Change, which kills his attendants which mere annoys him that he has to engage personally and with 1 swing decapitates the greater demon, so he certainly has some power to back up that codpiece.

Archaon is on another level entirely than most... I have a feeling something will throw a wrench in the entire Soulwars soon, as narratively Nagash has not really achived anything yet from all of this other than more terror and death, but the soul stealing culprits are still going about their business as usual. Maybe some angry green follows will shake up the status quo soon, with a great big godbeast ram...

• Like 2

Archaon beats Sigmar (and his Pantheon), Sigmar (alone) beats Katakros. Simple as.

But yeah I really can't wait to hear about that fluff part - from what I've gathered from the youtube reviews there isn't much about it in the book tho. 

GW leaves it for a forthcoming Supplement ? The rumored "Sieges" one maybe ?

2 hours ago, 123lac said:

The way I see it, Archaon is an equal to Nagash.

(...)

Well I'd say Nagash is superior in status (an ascended mortal that became a full fledged god after Apotheosis) to Archaon (demi god of Chaos).

BUT he is still weaker in duel, as the Battle of Black Skies showed Archaon destroyed Nagash there and it took century for him to be corporeal again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

While the new fluff does paint an impressive picture of Katakros, Archaon has outmatched and outsmarted Sigmar and the pantheon of gods before.

I mean I know there's the whole issue of how to write a genius-level strategist character without actually being a genius-level strategist, which is the constant plague of GW background (and a lot of other fiction, in fairness) but... tricking Sigmar into throwing his hammer into a warp-rift isn't really a masterstroke, more an indictment of Sigmar/the writing.

RE: Katakros invading the Eightpoints, isn't part of the matter that Archaon is seldom there, instead being off razing continents? I can easily see a scenario where much is made by the writers of Katakros leading his mass invasion, laying siege to the Varanspire, only to have the real crux of the moment be when Archaon returns to his castle.

52 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

RE: Katakros invading the Eightpoints, isn't part of the matter that Archaon is seldom there, instead being off razing continents? I can easily see a scenario where much is made by the writers of Katakros leading his mass invasion, laying siege to the Varanspire, only to have the real crux of the moment be when Archaon returns to his castle.

Apparently there isn't any mention of the assault itself in the STD book.....

Which could means the book was initially due before the OBR one. 

That's pretty crazy.

But what I gather from the reading online is that Archaon is preparing a counter strike and before that is searching for an "old ally" (lol just like Nagash and Katakros ?) WHO ? BE'LAKOR ? Not really an ally...

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Sigvald maybe? There is several hint of his soul trapped in a mirror of shadeglass

Well why not, but why would Archaon need this guy for his grand counter Attack ? 

We get the impression that this old ally is a powerful thing or needed for the strike against Sigmar and Nagash both ...

I think it'll be the third option:

Katakros and Archaon fight long and hard.  Archaon being Archaon gains the upper-hand, but before he can finish Katakros and his armies, Gordrakk shows up and headbutts both of them in the crotch.  Archaon is severely injured by this and forced to fall-back.  Katakros, being the bearer of the Codpiece of Destiny, is largely unharmed by the blow allowing him to escape with his armies mostly intact.  At the end of the day, it's mostly a draw with Gordrakk being the only possible winner.

Or sumfin' like dat.

Edited by willange
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

The fact that Archaon defeated Nagash is irrelevant.
Nagash is a Wizard, he shouldn't really be fighting battles himself, and so he has generals like Katakros who are much better warriors to take care of the warring aspect of his plans.

But yeah, any big battle involving Archaon should really end with him being punched in the face by an Orc, in much the same way that every big plan of Nagash's should be foiled by the Skaven. Its just traditional!

1 minute ago, EccentricCircle said:

The fact that Archaon defeated Nagash is irrelevant.
Nagash is a Wizard, he shouldn't really be fighting battles himself, and so he has generals like Katakros who are much better warriors to take care of the warring aspect of his plans.

(..)

Well that would be forgetting all the fluff about how good Nagash is at fighting with his Sword. Yet he was vanquished. 

Archaon also did out-magic and out-plot him, so he wins on the non fighty side of things too 😈

• Haha 1