Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Had another game vs khemri today. I played my Exile Bretons again.

Was a wild but great game! I lost by 250 pts. And I lost the breaking point battle in turn 2 when a lone questing knight fled through my peasants and they ran off the table. We continued playing.

My combat characters with heroic killing blow fought a Hierophant on Bone Dragon for 3-4 turns (6 combat phases) until he killed both having lost only 4 wounds total and was 2mm away from being pushed off the board! (He had a 4+, 5+, 5+. My opponent rolled well for his wards, I rolled really badly for attacks)

My Knights of the realm engaged 20 Tomb Guards, failed their morale checks didn’t manage to kill enough, got flank charged, survived, continued to push the TG back until they were finally shattered.

My two cannons didn’t do much. They finished off the dragon (my knights didn’t get to strike the monstrosity after charging) :D

in the middle there was a huge grind.

just a good game :)

8DF19389-959F-4D7C-850D-90ADA66CE817.jpeg

8CA8602F-599C-49BB-927A-456CBDFF736D.jpeg

DA1C2457-62CB-47ED-B828-5DDB3C0E708F.jpeg

B8DBA17F-A3DE-4C32-A689-B5E48D893B95.jpeg

C1AD3041-4F03-4498-9C2F-75DA7DE30192.jpeg

AA811596-A1FA-4B02-9C86-993AACA888AE.jpeg

4204955D-EDAE-4AE6-A208-957B8BFCA646.jpeg

CA9929B9-46DE-4641-9201-E35757A730BA.jpeg

DB6442D7-4483-434A-ADC9-941F0023B549.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’ve finally gotten my bases and to finally busy the myth that has roamed the earth,

yes the new ardboyz/brutes can fit onto 30mm bases.

IMG_3256.jpeg.10bd0793ac6fbecddc3829a061c088fb.jpeg

it’s just takes some time to find the right postition for everybody

What are you doing with the Brutes? Mixing them in for variety?

• LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Trokair said:

Is that a Cities of Sigma Cannon I see?

What base is it on and how well does it fit. Was thinking of using one of those as the Bombard for when I do my exiled Bretonnians.

It is. It’s a 50mm square base (official size for those).

Since I put my cannon only with putty onto the base before painting it’s easy to swap bases for different systems ^_^

A great thing about TOW is that one gets to play with one’s toys: Units seldom die within only one combat phase, it’s a nice back and forth which makes the game really dynamic.

Different topic, Dragons:

Imo dragons should get an armour hard-cap of 4+. It makes them beefy but far from invincible (stacking regeneration and a ward on top is solid) - so the chaos dragon and the Elven Dragons need some tweaking imo.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, elfhead said:

I’m wondering if it’s worth it buying the old world rulebook just for the lore and art? What do you think? 

All the art in the book is just taken from previous Warhammer Fantasy books (or Total War Warhammer 3 in the case of the Cathay section).

The lore section is actually a pretty good recap of Warhammer Fantasy history, even including the history of the legacy factions in the timeline, but there's nothing really that you can't gather from reading wiki articles other than a few retcons to how High Magic works and some few details on the pre-Magnus era Empire that will probably be fleshed out when TOW gets actual proper campaign supplements. 

11 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

My combat characters with heroic killing blow fought a Hierophant on Bone Dragon for 3-4 turns (6 combat phases) until he killed both having lost only 4 wounds total and was 2mm away from being pushed off the board! (He had a 4+, 5+, 5+. My opponent rolled well for his wards, I rolled really badly for attacks)

From the breakdowns I have been seeing, that guy in particular is basically mathematically unkillable in combat, between all his saves and the possibility of healing.

Well, looks like I'm building a Dark Elf army after buying a pretty large job lot of new in box kits on eBay (including, fit some reason, a single Lumineth character). Bare bones it's about 3400 points, but with upgrades etc. it's probably over 4000 points.

Got to say I'm really excited, even though they are a legacy faction. I think Ionus will be donating his dragon to the army (it includes a black dragon, but I'm not a big fan of the mini).

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Well, looks like I'm building a Dark Elf army after buying a pretty large job lot of new in box kits on eBay (including, fit some reason, a single Lumineth character). Bare bones it's about 3400 points, but with upgrades etc. it's probably over 4000 points.

Got to say I'm really excited, even though they are a legacy faction. I think Ionus will be donating his dragon to the army (it includes a black dragon, but I'm not a big fan of the mini).

Pete the wargamer made an incredible high elves dragon conversion out of the new stormcast dragon.

i think with some slight body changes, the same could be done for the dark elves

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Different topic, Dragons:

Imo dragons should get an armour hard-cap of 4+. It makes them beefy but far from invincible (stacking regeneration and a ward on top is solid) - so the chaos dragon and the Elven Dragons need some tweaking imo.

I’m pretty sure it will eventually be erratad to something along that way (i.e. Mounted monsters to use their own save always). It feels such an oversight in the rules.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Pete the wargamer made an incredible high elves dragon conversion out of the new stormcast dragon.

i think with some slight body changes, the same could be done for the dark elves

I saw his Chaos Dragon, which looked great but took a little more work than I think I'm capable of right now (he gave it two heads using, I think, Hydra heads). Any link to his high elves one? I figure that, with just one head, it should be relatively easy.

1 minute ago, Malakithe said:

Anyone know how the new Slaves to Darkness models look/compare on squares and in blocks?

There's a couple of people who've ranked them up on Reddit, and to my eye at least they look great (it helps that Chaos aren't supposed to be well ordered ranks of drilled soldiers, so being a bit less neat suits them well). Just go slow and steady when basing them us as they do require some careful position. Even Chosen seem to rank up well (their lack of cloaks helps).

Chaos Knights are a little trickier: mediocre hobbies has a video where he ranks up five, but it does involve clipping a bit of cloak off the banner bearer.

57 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

From the breakdowns I have been seeing, that guy in particular is basically mathematically unkillable in combat, between all his saves and the possibility of healing.

He can’t heal while in combat. The 4+, 5++, 5+ regen is okay (only toughness 5). He simply rolled exclusively 6s and 5s. XD and I rolled zero 6s to wound which would’ve oneshot him.

There‘s sone factions that need itemsto be restricted to infantry and cavalry only:

Blood Armour (DE), Armour of Ages (Khemri) etc.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 5:30 AM, Garrac said:

Well, first match done! I'm really not very convinced, skavens feel too much nerfed now that they can't shoot anything on combat and their gimmicks have been nerfed too much. Jezzaisl best usage was as pure cannon fodder to avoid the riders from charging my rat ogres. Really, the only good units on the whole game were the weapon teams and gutter runners, they are way sturdier to shooting than what they look like.

In general it really feels like skaven lack a lot of punch and characters to give LD with those huge nerfs. U can put chieftains, but that money is better spent on warlock engineers to be able to bring globadiers. Meanwhile, I generally felt like lacking enough firepower to damage T5+ monsters like the hydra here.

Will try again with a more melee focused army (whitout jezzails) but I generally feel like I won't bring skavens to any tournament and will probably stick to OPR Regiments.

GGZ0tLVWEAEZPbz.jpg.51c1a64104722d4edcb367cc50b90ce3.jpg

You can’t say it’s nerfed when it’s a new edition. It’s not nerfed, it’s totally new, and every army is weaker than 8th. And it’s a damn good thing the game is toned down across all armies. Nerfs happen throughout an edition. Saying an indexed edition has a nerfed army completely misunderstands what a nerf means. 

10 games in, 11 will be tonight, and this is easily the most balanced edition ever. 

Edited by Stonehorn
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’ve seen some picture, and they look pretty great on 30mm basesIMG_4530.png.751c1c129c456968415cb132401963e0.png

That looks fantastic! I love the GW WOC/StD mini's. For TOW I am printing the Lost Kingdom Chaos miniatures and for now I am keeping the StD mini's on rounds for AOS. That said I haven't played AoS anymore since TOW arrived. I just can't go back anymore to AoS since I looked at the TOW armylists. The AoS Slaves to Darkness Chaos lord aka the lord who hides from combat. It's a such huge immersion breaker.

Still I will keep them on rounds until I know how AoS 4th edition will be and print a WoC army for TOW.

• Like 2