Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

What armies are people working on? 

Anyone else dug out some old projects or found dusty boxes from yesteryear? 

Or even printed a new army. 

Lets see what's cooking on people's hobby tables! 

I had started a Tomb Kings army when WHFB ended, so I dug those out of storage (very dusty boxes!) and added one of the launch boxes to bulk out my units. Really looking forward to getting back into a rank and file game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

Gathering all my dwarfs from different eras, mostly eighth ed for units. Tried so hard throughout the editions of AoS to play them haha, never really worked out some i'm glad to have TOW to get that feeling with them again. It feels that they belong again rather than being shoehorned into AOS!

And will prob do the same with my OG O&G!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I have quite a lot of projects going on parallel. I got a bit of headstart on ToW as I got back to WHFB 6th edition already '22 summer after playing couple of games with a friend that had been on a long break from miniature games (since 6th ed basically).

The current status of each:

-Vampire counts, I just got 2000 point army completed start of Winter. Calculated my models and it's now 1900 points, so I have to do some strengthening. Warghulf is surely one thing that I'll add now when it's available in the army list.

-Wood elves, For these I have been steadily adding units. The models are all 5th edition or older. Just finished some archers and a wardancer command from Grenadier.

-Dwarfs, my original army, dug them out after a long while and even got a game already, painted some miners and currently doing a block of ironbreakers. Had collected surprisingly many models for them since the last game...

-Lizardmen, no plans yet, but I have around 80 metal saurus to add at some point

-Chaos, mostly Beastmen that I have been painting originally for 6th over the winter. Just agreed a first game for them tomorrow. I also have a small warrior detachment that I can field as allies now. They are originally for AoS, so waiting for the bases to get back in stock.

-High elves, I found out that I had bought enough high elves in various second hand deals that I actually have 2000 points of them already. I have couple of elven armies with bit different theme originally done for different games (Oathmark, Saga), that I have to still think how to incorporate everything into a coherent force. These are mostly in "to be started" level.

CFAFDB4D-49FC-48AB-97F0-3931FEB8F297.jpeg

3F7F4AA0-1D56-4FA1-8FF8-C1A8DC257603.jpeg

E267BD1F-6280-43C8-B6F1-9F3C5C5DAD91.jpeg

Edited by Jamopower
  • Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 3

I'm doing a Cothique High Elf army, basically cos I like the scheme. Time has been tight in terms of getting my swordmasters up to the standard of the test model, but it's enjoyable. I have a loremaster, a dinky little 5th Ed mage, 15 Seaguard, 19 swordmasters, 20 archers, 8 shadow warriors and 5 reavers (if I can ever find the damn sprues for the last two). Gonna try and get good progress on the infantry so I can splurge on characters and phoenix guard when the range is actually on sale at normal prices.

20240204_232814.jpg

• Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 4

30 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I have quite a lot of projects going on parallel. I got a bit of headstart on ToW as I got back to WHFB 6th edition already '22 summer after playing couple of games with a friend that had been on a long break from miniature games (since 6th ed basically).

The current status of each:

-Vampire counts, I just got 2000 point army completed start of Winter. Calculated my models and it's now 1900 points, so I have to do some strengthening. Warghulf is surely one thing that I'll add now when it's available in the army list.

-Wood elves, For these I have been steadily adding units. The models are all 5th edition or older. Just finished some archers and a wardancer command from Grenadier.

-Dwarfs, my original army, dug them out after a long while and even got a game already, painted some miners and currently doing a block of ironbreakers. Had collected surprisingly many models for them since the last game...

-Lizardmen, no plans yet, but I have around 80 metal saurus to add at some point

-Chaos, mostly Beastmen that I have been painting originally for 6th over the winter. Just agreed a first game for them tomorrow. I also have a small warrior detachment that I can field as allies now. They are originally for AoS, so waiting for the bases to get back in stock.

-High elves, I found out that I had bought enough high elves in various second hand deals that I actually have 2000 points of them already. I have couple of elven armies with bit different theme originally done for different games (Oathmark, Saga), that I have to still think how to incorporate everything into a coherent force. These are mostly in "to be started" level.

CFAFDB4D-49FC-48AB-97F0-3931FEB8F297.jpeg

3F7F4AA0-1D56-4FA1-8FF8-C1A8DC257603.jpeg

E267BD1F-6280-43C8-B6F1-9F3C5C5DAD91.jpeg

Beautiful looking units, love the colours and bases! 

2 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

I'm doing a Cothique High Elf army, basically cos I like the scheme. Time has been tight in terms of getting my swordmasters up to the standard of the test model, but it's enjoyable. I have a loremaster, a dinky little 5th Ed mage, 15 Seaguard, 19 swordmasters, 20 archers, 8 shadow warriors and 5 reavers (if I can ever find the damn sprues for the last two). Gonna try and get good progress on the infantry so I can splurge on characters and phoenix guard when the range is actually on sale at normal prices.

20240204_232814.jpg

That's a amazing scheme. What turquoise/blue is that? 

3 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I have already shared in this thread, but I am working on a Winterheart Wood Elves army (The Winter Court) with the self-imposed challenge of not buying any new models. So it's basically a recycling project for stuff I am not using. The latest addition is a block of Eternal Guard made with Oathmark Elves and ASOIAF Free Folks:

Spoiler

IMG_20240205_091853.jpg.00f4dc229dc7a1a4e057a864df8ae504.jpg

IMG_20240205_091903.jpg.9f0dcb36cf86b3f8316faf8940067451.jpg

bending my own self-imposed rules just a little bit, today I'll swap some of my Eldars for a box of old-ish Wood Elves from a clubmate. It's basically a mystery box so I'm curious to see what's inside :D

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I have already shared in this thread, but I am working on a Winterheart Wood Elves army (The Winter Court) with the self-imposed challenge of not buying any new models. So it's basically a recycling project for stuff I am not using. The latest addition is a block of Eternal Guard made with Oathmark Elves and ASOIAF Free Folks:

Hide contents

IMG_20240205_091853.jpg.00f4dc229dc7a1a4e057a864df8ae504.jpg

IMG_20240205_091903.jpg.9f0dcb36cf86b3f8316faf8940067451.jpg

bending my own self-imposed rules just a little bit, today I'll swap some of my Eldars for a box of old-ish Wood Elves from a clubmate. It's basically a mystery box so I'm curious to see what's inside :D

Haha, love a mystery box, please post what you get!! 

• Like 1

I'm awaiting confirmation of the beastmen are gone from AoS rumor so I can find out whether to rebate on squares or converters but other than that my beastmen are ready to go minus painting up some Ghorgon and finishing some Ungor raiders I think I'm fully painted. I've also got an old wood elf army to run too so all in all I'm stoked for the old world!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm awaiting confirmation of the beastmen are gone from AoS rumor so I can find out whether to rebate on squares or converters but other than that my beastmen are ready to go minus painting up some Ghorgon and finishing some Ungor raiders I think I'm fully painted. I've also got an old wood elf army to run too so all in all I'm stoked for the old world!

Beastmen and wood elves, the classic match up! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Dwarves and tomb kings are 2 armies I never collected back in the day. 

I have been eyeing up the Highland miniature dwarves, they are beautiful sculpts. 

And my gobbos will need someone to fight! 

A fun thing to do is to create your own book of grudges based on games you play. Back in the day I used it create my own lore around my Dawi army. Basing in on battles, I added short lore snippets. In a way, your local meta shapes your hold's history. My opponents appreciated it as well (especially those who beat me regularly :D).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

A fun thing to do is to create your own book of grudges based on games you play. Back in the day I used it create my own lore around my Dawi army. Basing in on battles, I added short lore snippets. In a way, your local meta shapes your hold's history. My opponents appreciated it as well (especially those who beat me regularly :D).

Pretty sure it's the law to create a Book of Grudges when you're a dwarf player lol. 

42 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Now I just have to convince my wife to play a game with a 300 page rulebook... 

First thing, don't tell her the rulebook is 300 pages 😂😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Haha, love a mystery box, please post what you get!! 

This was... more than I expected 😮

Spoiler

IMG_20240207_174328.jpg.b37477a5848821109d9e7def22804e89.jpg

IMG_20240207_174320.jpg.4ce00d5d9e5d79101c354370841e3106.jpg

IMG_20240207_174315.jpg.6940dd25f61b4f37c79d382ac75a150e.jpg

Not gonna lie, I am so happy.

EDIT: so a rough inventory to complement the potato pics

• 32 glade guards
  • 20 eternal guards
  • 10 waywatchers
  • 10 wardancers
  • 5 glade riders
  • 5 old wild riders
  • 5 new wild riders
  • 11 driads
  • a couple of heroes in metal (Spellsinger, Waystalker, Highborn noble?, BSB, BSB on horse?)
  • two metal treemen
Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

This was... more than I expected 😮

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20240207_174328.jpg.b37477a5848821109d9e7def22804e89.jpg

IMG_20240207_174320.jpg.4ce00d5d9e5d79101c354370841e3106.jpg

IMG_20240207_174315.jpg.6940dd25f61b4f37c79d382ac75a150e.jpg

Not gonna lie, I am so happy.

EDIT: so a rough inventory to complement the potato pics

• 32 glade guards
  • 20 eternal guards
  • 10 waywatchers
  • 10 wardancers
  • 5 glade riders
  • 5 old wild riders
  • 5 new wild riders
  • 11 driads
  • a couple of heroes in metal (Spellsinger, Waystalker, Highborn noble?, BSB, BSB on horse?)
  • two metal treemen

Oh wow, that's a awesome haul!!! 

Just now, GhostShark said:

I never got to play fantasy. None of my friends were interested when I was younger. So I'm building the Dark Elves army I always wanted. Its a mix of modern and older models, which is proving to be a lot of fun.

You chose the best army - the Druchii! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm considering an Os & Gs army but only using Kruleboyz and a few gitz models. 

I saw a post on reddit like this and they looked amazing. Just need a calvary kit. Snarlfang work but need orcs!

This is not my work but it's really nice. 👍 I'd give credit but don't know the painter. 

5ffaa14646dfa5d7e0777af7eaee7141.jpg.10093036b003b499e3b94df345848dcd.jpg62e495061dab04aa577890f45c9a9791.jpg.3c3cb2dd2abdb6e26613644d2b751390.jpg

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 15
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Printed Highlands dwarfs & Brets, painting the former as I wait for the Bret launch box to get the book & peasants.

I'm seriously considering beginning a third army, and I'm split between Ogres, TK & WoC.

As other people have noticed on the internet, painting comparably less detailed R&F models (compared to contemporary 40k & AoS units) did wonders to my painting motivation 

IMG_20240128_001847.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I'm considering an Os & Gs army but only using Kruleboyz and a few gitz models. 

I saw a post on reddit like this and they looked amazing. Just need a calvary kit. Snarlfang work but need orcs!

This is not my work but it's really nice. 👍 I'd give credit but don't know the painter. 

5ffaa14646dfa5d7e0777af7eaee7141.jpg.10093036b003b499e3b94df345848dcd.jpg62e495061dab04aa577890f45c9a9791.jpg.3c3cb2dd2abdb6e26613644d2b751390.jpg

That's such a good idea! 

10 minutes ago, KingKull said:

Printed Highlands dwarfs & Brets, painting the former as I wait for the Bret launch box to get the book & peasants.

I'm seriously considering beginning a third army, and I'm split between Ogres, TK & WoC.

As other people have noticed on the internet, painting comparably less detailed R&F models (compared to contemporary 40k & AoS units) did wonders to my painting motivation 

IMG_20240128_001847.jpg

Yep, I'm whizzing through the basic gobbos and they still look good ranked up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingKull said:

IMG_20240128_001847.jpg

Those look excellent. I've been looking at their range for some time now and wondering how good it actually is. 

• Like 1

So I‘ll be switching among a few factions playing TOW (I am not rebasing which can be an issue for the big oval chariot bases)

- Dark Elves: I started shortly after Total War Warhammer launched, were used for 9th age for a while now they are back for Cities of Sigmar ~2K painted, another roughly 600 points of Chariots, a Dragon and as if late bleakswords are awaiting the brush.

- Vampire Counts: Probably my main army back in 8th as Bretonnia was unplayable. Some 3K painted, another 10k awaiting the judgment of the colorful bristles.

- Bretonnia (n Exiles): I really love these. I‘ll be using the new CoS Models mostly mixed with Bretonnians to show the intermingling of cultures. After Lords of the Lance I really want to paint one unit as Black Steel Knights. I‘ll also be printing a lot since I‘ve got painting PTSD from the old Knights.

-Empire: Maybe! Using CoS minis and my Demigryphs.

I‘ve also got a lot of Wood Elfs in my cabinet (rangers, eternal guard) and some 2k+ points if Ironbreakers, longbeards and irondrakes, a thane, a gyrobomber and two runelords (sadly no core units xD)

• Like 2

I'll be working on my Bretonnians again. They were my first Warhammer army back when I was a teenager, and I never had the money or skill to do much except amass a bunch of badly painted core knights.

I am excited beyond words to build the army I'd always wanted... well, stock issues depending, haha. At least I've got some unpainted minis or models to strip and repaint in the meantime!

• Like 3

Currently my old stuff is stuck in the garage along with most of our other possessions as we are doing work to the house and living elsewhere. But looking forward to getting my dwarf army out again. I did some swaps ages ago which I haven't got around to building and painting. Looking forward to getting to the old metal miners. I'll probably revisit and spruce up some of my old models as well- I have a bunch of old imperial dwarfs and some Colin Dixon thunderers and longboards as well as slayers. Was starting a redo and then they blew up the world! So now they get to shine. Have an Anvil of Doom in metal to paint and a Goblobber!

I have my old VC army as well, I'll probably sell my old 3rd ed High elves. I'd be tempted by Woodelves or Orcs and Goblins. Hoping I can get my buddy back in with either his Skaven or Chaos warriors. 

11 hours ago, KingKull said:

IMG_20240128_001847.jpg

Those Highland models look fantastic! Quite tempted by those, they look better than the old plastic warriors in my opinion. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Dwarfs for me. I found a box of Ironbreakers I had stashed away, so have started with those and making my own movement trays, while I wait for the current AoS dwarfs to come back into stock and for the preview of what is being re-released/new minis. I can then fill any gaps using the Highland dwarfs. 

• Like 3