Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Is there any info when the french and german versions of the arcane journals are released? Maybe the cards too? In the warcom article they said that the journals would be available in all three languages, that is why I am wondering...

Yeah artillery now actually sounds fair and balanced, compared to the absolute nightmare it was in 8th.

In general lethality seems very toned down; less attacks on elite units, less AP, AP being divorced from S means that any S buffs aren't doing double duty, no more step-up, magic much less silly etc.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

Yeah artillery now actually sounds fair and balanced, compared to the absolute nightmare it was in 8th.

In general lethality seems very toned down; less attacks on elite units, less AP, AP being divorced from S means that any S buffs aren't doing double duty, no more step-up, magic much less silly etc.

How do cannons work now?

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I realized far, far too late that I actually did want one of those basic resin lich priests on foot.  Oh, well, will have to keep an eye on my email to see when/if they come back in stock.

Same here. I never bothered with the Finecast one, but at £9 in metal? Absolutely. Not surprised that one sold out, priced like the metal blisters during 6th/7th ed.

I really wanted both sets of Ushabti but at £105 it's far too expensive. Honestly, I thought the price of that Liche Priest was an error at first it's that cheap.

Just now, Sathrut said:

Same here. I never bothered with the Finecast one, but at £9 in metal? Absolutely. Not surprised that one sold out, priced like the metal blisters during 6th/7th ed.

I really wanted both sets of Ushabti but at £105 it's far too expensive. Honestly, I thought the price of that Liche Priest was an error at first it's that cheap.

Seriously.  I have a converted liche priest that I really like (island of blood elf mage + warshpinx crew bits), and when I was ordering stuff at the store I thought 'resin kind of sucks, I'll make do with the priest I've already got', only to realize later that this guy is being printed in metal! for us$15!  At that price, in that material, I'd love to have one as a low level priest to run alongside my converted high priest.  Again though, oh well.  I'll live for now.

Artillery is also a bit cheaper and considerably more available, someone could slot in 10 guns in both Dwarf and Empire lists, potentially more in a Nuln or Engineer focused special army, so its ups and downs :D

Reading the Empire, Dwarves and Chaos warriors lists; Im quite happy with Empire (Was hoping for pikes though, cant lie :P ) though theyve gone very generic with them in places it feels; Dwarves look great, might get some adapter bases for them; Chaos Warriors got done dirrrrty with a load of stuff missing, most units stripped back to heavy armour (Though Chaos armour did get a ward save) and a bit of a negative vibe. The other half of their army book might help Chaos but im not holding my breath for that right now! 

The Exiled Brets are all new stuff, well, calling back to 4th and earlier stuff. The Border Princes have always been a mish mash of all the various nations forming extremely temporary kingdoms, including Bretonians. The Exiles vow feels like a real cop out though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Hi oldworlders! Do you think new chaos warriors would fit in 30mm square bases? 

I've seen a couple of people do it already and they appear to fit on pretty well, though the Chosen might be a bit snug depending on their posing. I'll see if I can dig out some photos from where I saw them.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

speaking of bases, with the influencer boxes out and unboxing videos going life, to we yet have an official answer on whether the old world's 25mm x 50mm bases are actually 25mm x 50mm, or are they the same as the oldhammer cavalry bases - ie closer to 23.5 mm wide?  Similar question for the 50*100 bases, are they actually the old chariot bases, which were closer to 48mm wide?

Judging by the pictures of the official base sizes, it looks like they maybe fixed the cav bases, but not the chariot bases.  Hard to say for sure without someone just physically measuring them.

Edited by Sception

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I've seen a couple of people do it already and they appear to fit on pretty well, though the Chosen might be a bit snug depending on their posing. I'll see if I can dig out some photos from where I saw them.

I think most former 25mm squares are now 30mm. Chaos Marauders seem to be the only exception.

5 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Btw, is this Exciled Brets and all the other new options something completely new? Or was it present in the lore before?

Exiled Knights is supposed to represented Bretonnians exiled to the Border Princes, which we always knew was a thing (The Border Princes themselves were founded by Brettonian Knights who decided "you know what, we can make our own kingdoms" and the place was supposed to be a haven for nobles exiled from the various kingdoms of the Old World). Its just that it wasn't really delved into because the Border Princes were essentially an irrelevant background element. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sception said:

speaking of bases, with the influencer boxes out and unboxing videos going life, to we yet have an official answer on whether the old world's 25mm x 50mm bases are actually 25mm x 50mm, or are they the same as the oldhammer cavalry bases - ie closer to 23.5 mm wide?  Similar question for the 50*100 bases, are they actually the old chariot bases, which were closer to 48mm wide?

Judging by the pictures of the official base sizes, it looks like they maybe fixed the cav bases, but not the chariot bases.  Hard to say for sure without someone just physically measuring them.

Base sizes were "officially" confirmed in a Facebook post (of all things). It was discussed here around 2 crises ago

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/24482-warhammer-the-old-world/?do=findComment&comment=642647

6 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Here you have. Duncan Rhodes is workin on it but he swaps the shields with the old ones. Looks pretty good to me. 

IMG_4913.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

How do cannons work now?

They just generally do less damage and LOS is more restrictive.

The consensus among the influencers playing the game is that taking a monster or a general on big monster isn't just going to lead to them getting sniped in turn 1 by a single cannon.

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

The exiled Bretonnians look great!

I guess my CoS humans will prox most if the army as „Border Prince“ exiled Bretonnians :D

I love the armylist and options for them! As a fan of Empire and Bretonnia this allows to make such cool and beautiful armies.

412835771_1103387864347646_1435417811590692070_n.png.38a85f334544520815eed542c3f7e539.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

What’s the difference of a baron and a duke? (I hope both can ride a hippogryph) :D

I think the Baron is just a less powerful and cheaper version of the Duke. Like a Tomb Prince vs a Tomb King. Not sure about mounts though.

31 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

What’s the difference of a baron and a duke? (I hope both can ride a hippogryph) :D

I hope so too!

There are a handful of dukes in the Kingdom of Bretonnia. Very powerful lords and rulers of big pieces of land. While there are probably hundreds of barons in the kingdom, which x number could be in exile. Rulewise they have in a couple of stats -1 compared to the duke.

44 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I hope so too!

There are a handful of dukes in the Kingdom of Bretonnia. Very powerful lords and rulers of big pieces of land. While there are probably hundreds of barons in the kingdom, which x number could be in exile. Rulewise they have in a couple of stats -1 compared to the duke.

If I remember correctly, Dukes are roughly equivalent to Elector Counts i.e. there's one fur each of the major regions of Bretonnian (which each equate to one of the companions of Giles, minus Mousillon*)

*Or not? Not sure if the Red Duke has taken over in this time period?

• Like 1