Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Daaaamn, I started painting six swordmasters in January and I've only just finished them :/

Gonna be a bit more pragmatic about the paint jobs for the back ranks in general tho

Fun with magnets, slightly less fun with fiddly banners

20240304_150035.jpg

20240304_141930.jpg

Edited by Jefferson Skarsnik
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 10

24 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Daaaamn, I started painting six swordmasters in January and I've only just finished them :/

Gonna be a bit more pragmatic about the paint jobs for the back ranks in general tho

20240304_150035.jpg

20240304_141930.jpg

They look amazing, love those colour choices. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Garrac said:

I don't wanna give too much on hope already. What I actually expect it's just a stormcast and a clanrat mini revealed. But the oficial confirmation is going to be celebrated like a party here.

Same here.

I’m guessing will see a picture of the model that kinda got leaked as well as an explanation of what it actually is.

that’s about as much as I’m expecting to get

7 hours ago, Gotz said:

with old world, I think is better not to think in "classic" edition system like Aos or 40k. Look at how necromunda or HH are managed.

The game gets expanded without a clear new edition and then gets consolidated in a new book, but its not a new edition.

Old World could perfectly grow in campaign books or whatever and down the road get new books (but not a new edition in the traditional sense)

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

TOW will be slow and I love it. I hate the release hamster-wheel the main systems are in IT STRESSES ME OUT.

I’m guessing we’ll see a good amount of campaign books where the system will slowy grow upon.

personally I’m quit happy that hh isn’t as fast as the other system.

Considering that with studies I kinda started the game 2-3 years later 

2 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

20240304_150035.jpg

20240304_141930.jpg

They look gorgeous: I love the use of teal (is that teal) as the non-metallic colour on these. If GW re-release the Isle of Blood sprues I will really struggle not to start a High Elf army!

2 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

20240304_150035.jpg

20240304_141930.jpg

That's amazing! Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

Thanks - It's meant to be more of a sea green overall (doing a lesser-spotted Cothique-themed force to fit in with the expeditionary/seafaring nature of High Elves in the current game's setting), but there's enough (dark sea) blue in the mix that it doesn't feel too outside of High Elf tradition

I've really come round on those Island of Blood Swordmasters after painting these, I wasn't really a fan of the "unit champion holding his helmet for no reason" aesthetic, but I've kind of got into the headcanon that's he's just a really vain guy who is doomed to be eventually domed by an unlucky repeater crossbow bolt at Finuval Plain. Hopefully they do re-release IoB as a ton of people will want it, but the mixed sprues might need them to reconsider their current obstinate attitude to the poster-rats for AOS 4e

Edited by Jefferson Skarsnik
  • Like 2

Finally manged to get another game last night (at the low cost of only sleeping 5 hours), 1500pts of my Winter Court Wood Elves vs my mate's Ogors in the Watchtower. We were using 2d terrain as we were at my mate's place.

Another very enjoyable game, going longer than the previous ones (barely below 3 hours) due to it being very balanced until the end. Main thing I learned: I have to hide my Treeman when a cannon is around :D other than that, 4 Tree Kins were a proper anvil and I was happy to have tweaked my list to give my opponent a more "engaging" experience as opposed to the "pure" Wood Elves guerrilla. On the other hand, my lvl 4 skirmishing wizard was devastating and frustrating: my opponent had no magic and I blocked him from charging 3 or 4 times by summoning a forest in front of his Ironguts+Tyrant+BSB block. In the end I won by 400 points (of which, 200 due to the Watchtower).

Here's some bad pictures of the game (terrible lighting)

Spoiler

IMG_20240306_211240.jpg.648a5769cb2c0f8510374a7303d01b90.jpg

IMG_20240306_213827.jpg.38b37b6c5c6f76f63e9f8029df29aa93.jpg

IMG_20240306_233855.jpg.6b407875c50edabb2d4b8ccec4379ad8.jpg

aaand the minis I added to my army in the meantime: the best part of the game, in fact, was that for the first time I was able to field a fully painted army 🥳

Spoiler

Some kitbashed crazy deer boys

IMG_20240220_201737.jpg.d07bdaeea166f8cd43afc1505d1cd94d.jpg

5 Deepwood Scouts (from Kings of War Norther Alliance)IMG_20240306_063058.jpg.65487b8cc424865ae65dcc0fa288aa99.jpg

a kitbashed Spellweaver/Spellsinger on Elven Steed

IMG_20240301_182033.jpg.a85cf138d0d3cb428abe12e86394a84f.jpg

and 4 recycled "Tree" kins (formerly Free Folk Giants from ASOIAF, fitting perfectly on 50mm and size-wise)

IMG_20240228_183315.jpg.9cf25be4c1adc678de97968b086ae1a8.jpg

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Finally manged to get another game last night (at the low cost of only sleeping 5 hours), 1500pts of my Winter Court Wood Elves vs my mate's Ogors in the Watchtower. We were using 2d terrain as we were at my mate's place.

Another very enjoyable game, going longer than the previous ones (barely below 3 hours) due to it being very balanced until the end. Main thing I learned: I have to hide my Treeman when a cannon is around :D other than that, 4 Tree Kins were a proper anvil and I was happy to have tweaked my list to give my opponent a more "engaging" experience as opposed to the "pure" Wood Elves guerrilla. On the other hand, my lvl 4 skirmishing wizard was devastating and frustrating: my opponent had no magic and I blocked him from charging 3 or 4 times by summoning a forest in front of his Ironguts+Tyrant+BSB block. In the end I won by 400 points (of which, 200 due to the Watchtower).

Here's some bad pictures of the game (terrible lighting)

Hide contents

IMG_20240306_211240.jpg.648a5769cb2c0f8510374a7303d01b90.jpg

IMG_20240306_213827.jpg.38b37b6c5c6f76f63e9f8029df29aa93.jpg

IMG_20240306_233855.jpg.6b407875c50edabb2d4b8ccec4379ad8.jpg

aaand the minis I added to my army in the meantime: the best part of the game, in fact, was that for the first time I was able to field a fully painted army 🥳

Hide contents

Some kitbashed crazy deer boys

IMG_20240220_201737.jpg.d07bdaeea166f8cd43afc1505d1cd94d.jpg

5 Deepwood Scouts (from Kings of War Norther Alliance)IMG_20240306_063058.jpg.65487b8cc424865ae65dcc0fa288aa99.jpg

a kitbashed Spellweaver/Spellsinger on Elven Steed

IMG_20240301_182033.jpg.a85cf138d0d3cb428abe12e86394a84f.jpg

and 4 recycled "Tree" kins (formerly Free Folk Giants from ASOIAF, fitting perfectly on 50mm and size-wise)

IMG_20240228_183315.jpg.9cf25be4c1adc678de97968b086ae1a8.jpg

Army looks awesome and it feels so good to field a all painted army!! 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I am somewhat very sadly anxiously hopeful and desparate for the Cogfort in AOS after seeing that Dwarf Tank!

I initially thought about it as a use in AoS to replace the Steam Tank.

• Like 1

Hi, all. I have a question about basing artillery in TOW.

I'm currently in the process of building an Empire army that I'm hoping to use in both AoS and TOW.

Basing infantry to meet this requirement is pretty straightforward: I can put infantry models on 25mm round bases. For TOW, I use magnetised trays. For AoS, my swordsmen straightforwardly work as steelhelms, and my missle state troops work as fusiliers by slotting into 28mm round base converters.

However, I have a couple of cannons that I'm unsure how to base.

I did initially try to magnetise each crew member and the cannon itself, then use a magnetised 90mm round base for AoS and the relevant size magnetised bases for TOW. However, I found it very fiddly to correctly magnetise the crew members independently of a base and then get them to sit flush on scenic bases.

I'm now at the point where I'm just considering glueing the models down to a 90mm round base. I think this is the most aesthetic choice and it's the correct size for AoS. Further, for TOW, I notice that on page 222, the devs specifically allow basing artillery pieces and crew members together on a single base larger than the artillery piece's base. My worries here are that (i) this comment might work for larger rectangular bases, but not round ones (but then I can treat the base as a 90mm square?), and (ii) a single larger base might not be allowed for tournaments even with the dev comment on page 222.

What do you guys think? Do you think basing a cannon and its crew all on a 90mm round is TOW tournament acceptable? What would you do instead?

Cheers

As much as I wish we could use round bases in TOW, I don't think organized events will like that.  The best thing is to make a small scenic little platform thing on which to glue the cannon and crew, and magnetize that scenic platform to go onto both games' bases.  More of a pain in the neck, but might actually make it cooler looking with the extra scenery.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

As much as I wish we could use round bases in TOW, I don't think organized events will like that.  The best thing is to make a small scenic little platform thing on which to glue the cannon and crew, and magnetize that scenic platform to go onto both games' bases.  More of a pain in the neck, but might actually make it cooler looking with the extra scenery.

Thanks for the reply @Lord Krungharr. Could you expand on your suggested approach? That each of the four models should have a small flat magnetised base, then (i) (for AoS) all of these attach to the magnetised 90mm round, and (ii) (for TOW) each crew member attaches to a 25mm square and the cannon to a 75x50?

I did have this in mind, but it will be a pain trying to get the mini flat bases and the proper bases to look seamless together.

5 hours ago, Milford said:

I'm currently in the process of building an Empire army that I'm hoping to use in both AoS and TOW.

Basing infantry to meet this requirement is pretty straightforward: I can put infantry models on 25mm round bases. For TOW, I use magnetised trays. For AoS, my swordsmen straightforwardly work as steelhelms, and my missle state troops work as fusiliers by slotting into 28mm round base converters.

I did initially try to magnetise each crew member and the cannon itself, then use a magnetised 90mm round base for AoS and the relevant size magnetised bases for TOW. However, I found it very fiddly to correctly magnetise the crew members independently of a base and then get them to sit flush on scenic bases.

I'm now at the point where I'm just considering glueing the models down to a 90mm round base. I think this is the most aesthetic choice and it's the correct size for AoS. Further, for TOW, I notice that on page 222, the devs specifically allow basing artillery pieces and crew members together on a single base larger than the artillery piece's base. My worries here are that (i) this comment might work for larger rectangular bases, but not round ones (but then I can treat the base as a 90mm square?), and (ii) a single larger base might not be allowed for tournaments even with the dev comment on page 222.

What do you guys think? Do you think basing a cannon and its crew all on a 90mm round is TOW tournament acceptable? What would you do instead?

Cheers

I wouldn't have an issue with you using a large round base if we played, as long as you're consistent from where you measure from for shooting and I know where I need to get to for charging. 

If you're  planning to go to events and tournaments, best check with the organisers. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Milford said:

Thanks for the reply @Lord Krungharr. Could you expand on your suggested approach? That each of the four models should have a small flat magnetised base, then (i) (for AoS) all of these attach to the magnetised 90mm round, and (ii) (for TOW) each crew member attaches to a 25mm square and the cannon to a 75x50?

I did have this in mind, but it will be a pain trying to get the mini flat bases and the proper bases to look seamless together.

My suggestion would be to magnetise only the cannon (much easier to hide the magnet). Crew members are essentially optional in TOW so you can glue them on the AoS base and in case kitbash two more to glue on the TOW one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Peachy's sketch from the video.

E44Xcqs.png

I wish we could have seen this. 

This would have been so cool- a proper centrepiece unit for dwarfs. Peachy said it was in a similar design to the gyro bomber so the aesthetics would fit really well. There were always rumours about them redoing the Juggernaught from way back in 1st Ed WFB. This would have been some upgrade! I could see how the argument could be made that it was too much, but it would have added a bit of mobility to the army, a bit of a counter to other races big mounts and monsters and still very much in keeping with the dwarf ethos rather than adding cavalry/monsters.

Hopefully we might see it at some point in the old world, they talked about there being technology that may have been lost later being available, this fits the bill. If the Empire can have steam tanks I think we can have dwarf tanks. Love the Anvil of Doom option as well.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Milford said:

Cheers

Put a 50mm base below the round base (no glue or anything) and measure from there.

Or what @Marcvs said

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 1

Really seems like the only reason for the square/rectangle bases is because of the various 'arcs'.  Those could be marked on a base with either paint or arrows/swords sticking out of the ground or something.

On 3/8/2024 at 4:21 PM, Milford said:

I've attached a picture of what I mean.  Make a tiny piece of terrain to accommodate the crew AND the rocket, not separately based from each other.  Magnetize that piece of ground to go on either the round/oval for AOS and rectangle for TOW.  Then you're 'legal' for both games.  A piece of 2-3mm styrene plastic sheet, some scoring/pliers snapping and some wire-cutter nipping, it could either be like a mounded earth looking thing, or with a bit of carving using a utility or hobby knife or metal files, like a stony slab.  Those dwarf bodies are to scale for Ironbreakers, so I think such a thing could certainly accomodate the smaller artillery pieces

Switchable terrain base.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2