AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

On 12/23/2019 at 7:17 PM, EldritchX said:

I saw the faction focus for mawtibes with Doom and Darkness and Mick Wendel. It was depressing. They all said more or less that we're underpowered. The only thing that could be good was actually Underguts, and that leadbelchers and ironblasters are therefore invaluable.

Bloodgullet was the only other one that was considered not bad.

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, MKsmash said:

I saw the faction focus for mawtibes with Doom and Darkness and Mick Wendel. It was depressing. They all said more or less that we're underpowered. The only thing that could be good was actually Underguts, and that leadbelchers and ironblasters are therefore invaluable.

Bloodgullet was the only other one that was considered not bad.

Don’t stop there. Also watch his thoughts now. 
moved away from bloodgullut. Is excited about his two stonerhorn list and more importantly is very excited about the mawtribes book but admits he set his expectations a bit too high because he is so committed to the army in his look back video. 

its a shame to only listen to negatives. Also local scenes differ, your playstyle likely differs, just go for I’d say. See what ends up being fun to you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Don’t stop there. Also watch his thoughts now. 
moved away from bloodgullut. Is excited about his two stonerhorn list and more importantly is very excited about the mawtribes book but admits he set his expectations a bit too high because he is so committed to the army in his look back video. 

its a shame to only listen to negatives. Also local scenes differ, your playstyle likely differs, just go for I’d say. See what ends up being fun to you 

I'd also say that he's looking at it from a pretty competitive level. If you're playing against Anvilgard Dark Elf lists and such then the book is fine. I'd certainly say the book is noticeably weaker than most other battletomes released this year and seems to have a bunch of unnecessary limitations (famously the Tyrant reroll hit/wound command trait). But even then it has a few moderately competitive builds (like that 2 stonehorn list). Its only garbage tier if you're set on going 5-0 in GTs (or your friends play Slaanesh/OBR :P).

There's also a lot of room for point drops for future FAQs....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I´ve written about my experience with the new tome before. I have now played about 25 games in total and starting to get a grip of what works and what doesnt. Underguts lists work good, but as I said earlier it is a bit clunky to position the 4 blasters in optimal places. But it's great fun. 

By far the best list in my experience is the following:

image.png.3731899fa741498e225f4b7af263f7cf.png

I have mixed and matched with battalions but this is what ive found out works best. I choose Boulderhead for the extra wound on FloSH and the super powerful tribe command ability to fight at top bracket on FloSH. It's fantastic.

Let the Frostlords loose early. Buff them with entrails. Slaughtermaster uses cauldron twice to fish for 3-4 +hit on gluttons/ironguts.

Then just go nuts really. FloSH with Ethereal wont die. Ever. It's awesome. Make sure you get charges and you are in good shape to win. 

Hope this helps somewhat. I will keep working on Underguts but for now this works really well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Luckily seems that my old 8th edition army transfers over almost 1-1 with the new Mawtribe rules. So looking at a list like:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
Tyrant (160)
- General
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
12 x Ogor Gluttons (400)
- Clubs or Blades with Iron Fists
8 x Ironguts (440)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Leadbelchers (160)
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
1 x Ironblaster (120)
1 x Ironblaster (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

With the leadbelchers and ironblasters, probably looking at undergut tribe.

Sad to see so many people down on Mawtribes. I've been having a blast playing Boulderhead Beastclaws - the alpha-strike of a herd of Stonehorns has been enough to immediately cripple a lot of opponents.

Prior to this book, I had a lot of games where they would initially hit hard, but then run out of steam and get beaten on objectives. Now the monsters can actually hold objectives, so they've got a much better chance of holding out and winning even when they don't just steamroll over the opponent's forces.

Between buffs and points adjustments, my army got way better and is still really fun to play, so I'm super happy with this book.

Really dumb but potentially fun objective based list to play?

Basically you sit on points and spam mortal wounds and buff yourself with your multitude of command points. Snipe heroes with the Blood Vultures and a big ambus is easy to set up with the larger sabre unit and hunter in the late game. Slaughtermaster is there to stand by the pot and maybe get entrails off to do some damage. Between Vulture, Torrbad, Everwinter and Frost Blasts and the Prayer I think there is some hilarious potential...

STAY FROSTY!

LEADERS

Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Winter Ranger
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Elixir of Frostwyrm
- Prayer : Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait : Alvagr Ancient
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic : Molten Entrails
UNITS
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BEHEMOTHS
Thundertusk Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
Torrbad (120)

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

Basically you sit on points and spam mortal wounds and buff yourself with your multitude of command points. Snipe heroes with the Blood Vultures and a big ambus is easy to set up with the larger sabre unit and hunter in the late game. Slaughtermaster is there to stand by the pot and maybe get entrails off to do some damage. Between Vulture, Torrbad, Everwinter and Frost Blasts and the Prayer I think there is some hilarious potential...

STAY FROSTY!

LEADERS

Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Winter Ranger
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact : Elixir of Frostwyrm
- Prayer : Pulverising Hailstorm
- Mount Trait : Alvagr Ancient
Slaughtermaster (140)
- Lore of Gutmagic : Molten Entrails
UNITS
12 x Frost Sabres (240)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
BEHEMOTHS
BATTALIONS
Skal (100)
Torrbad (120)

Why not Boulderhead ? You dont really need extra CPs from Winter Ranger. You'll get  +1 for the prayer, extra wound on each TT is still good. 

And maybe split your cats ? Like 6 2 2 2, it might give you extra screen, mobility... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlo said:

STAY FROSTY!

9 hours ago, Arkahn said:

Why not Boulderhead ? You dont really need extra CPs from Winter Ranger. You'll get  +1 for the prayer, extra wound on each TT is still good. 

And maybe split your cats ? Like 6 2 2 2, it might give you extra screen, mobility... 

Yes, I’ve been toying around with a Torrbad list too, but using Boulderhead as suggested. I’m just not sure the skal fits, and if you had yhetees instead, you can drop them all as part of the Torrbad.

My current list thinking is:

FLoSH (general, lord of beasts, brand of the svard, black clatterhorn)

HoTT (call of the blizzard,  blade of all frost,  Alvagr ancient)

3x TTBR

6x Yhetees

Torrbad

1980 points, 2 drops

Haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but mainly because I’m still nervous of taking it without a butcher in the list. Kinda think it’s odd not to take a FLoSH with Boulderhead though. I’m sure the amulet would probably be better on the HoTT than the blade, but I want to try the combo of blade with Alvagr ancient!

And while the Boulderhead command trait will undoubtedly be used on the general first, if he goes down it will allow an injured TT to shoot at full strength too, if needed, which sounds promising late game.

Not sure whether to split the yhetees into 2x3, make them chaff (and change the prayer) or keep them as they are mainly as bodyguard.

B0029C22-5AB9-4EC6-A971-64CA535A25A1.jpeg.6265fb3ba2cd560b09d05fa525ba4e15.jpeg

what do you think? Full video and gnoblars on the community site  

I honestly hope it grows on me. The tyrant was brilliant in how it took the existing style. The hunter looks more like a non GW ogor. GW ogors in contrast always have the, relatively, small nose and gut plate. The hunter has that big Brutish nose instead and the gut plate is hidden. 

hope it’s just me thoug and everybody else is really excited about him. 

Bear trap crossbow is dope though 

Edited by Kramer
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

I honestly hope it grows on me. The tyrant was brilliant in how it took the existing style. The hunter looks more like a non GW ogor. GW ogors in contrast always have the, relatively, small nose and gut plate. The hunter has that big Brutish nose instead and the gut plate is hidden. 

I really like him. Hunters didn’t have gutplates anyway, rather beastskulls, and I think the overall pose of this model is way better than the old (metal then resin) one. I know what you mean about the nose, but you can probably do a headswap if it’s going to really bother you. I think wait until we get a 360 view. Not sure what’s on his back, but the rest of his body (bracer, boots, etc) I think fit really well with the existing aesthetic.

I love the sabre too, in fact so much I wish there had been two rather than one and the three gnoblars, simply so I could use them in place of the existing ones (and I could use them as ordinary sabres in case I don’t want to use the whole Warband in AoS). Easy to fix though, GW will just have to release plastic frost sabres to match this one! 

On 12/25/2019 at 11:45 PM, Kramer said:

First said. I don’t often play the rock hard lists. For example haven’t played obr and don’t know anyone who jumped on that train. But leadbelchers for me are very valuable. I don’t leave home without 10 since my first practice games. 
don’t play them as a shooting unit tho. Understand they are your rend dealers that can play second wave. And then they will really function as a utility unit. 
That’s why I still believe an underguts list with two 10 leadbelcher squads will get some work done. But you will really have to built into that. 

All that said I don’t have a stone horn painted yet. The damage and speed he provides will likely knock them out of the list. 😑

Thank you for the feedback! I got a hold of 2 Feast of Bones sets, so I might as well pick up a box of gluttons to build the unused Leadbelcher bits into actual models. I am currently building around 1 or 2 stonehorns, but I love the idea of an underguts army. I guess once everything is built and painted up its time to playtest a bunch to figure out what is more efficient :).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

I personally love that they are working on ogors with different facial expressions and features and think its a huge win. I also like the fact that he is almost fully clothed similar to the tyrant. Kind of curious what his rules look like.

Also... I wonder what that trap will do.trap.png.d15f3dbacc1073b5843ddfd6e9c48a40.png

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 2

Completely new to Ogors and AoS in general but have been tinkering with lists pre-investing in units. Is this completely mental?

2 Gutguards seems excessive considering it’s quite a bleh battalion but I think the army is probably CP hungry, I’m already taking most of the associated units and the additional artefacts are useful. 

Other route I’m considering is BCR Bloodgullet because I think Eurlbad is excellent and underrated. 

CB13C6F6-9085-41C7-9E06-DD155915D0EF.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, James101 said:

Completely new to Ogors and AoS in general but have been tinkering with lists pre-investing in units. Is this completely mental?

2 Gutguards seems excessive considering it’s quite a bleh battalion but I think the army is probably CP hungry, I’m already taking most of the associated units and the additional artefacts are useful. 

Other route I’m considering is BCR Bloodgullet because I think Eurlbad is excellent and underrated. 

CB13C6F6-9085-41C7-9E06-DD155915D0EF.jpeg

I think this is pretty much the only way to do underguts. You could consider dropping the second tyrant for a slaughtermaster battalion and some gluttons. The second tyrant won’t do much for you I’d think. But never played two. 
also wondering if you won’t get more use out of blubbergut stench as a source of mortal wounds. You can’t play too careful too long with the cannons anyway. Might as well charge them as monsters turn 2 or 3. 
Just an FYI in case it isn’t on purpose you can take multiple of the same big names afaik 

Edited by Kramer

5 hours ago, James101 said:

I’d agree with not taking a second tyrant; but if you’re going underguts I’d load up with leadbelchers. Drop the 2nd tyrant and the unit of 8 ironguts, and the second battalion,  and you could take 18 more leadbelchers instead. 😁

13 hours ago, Kramer said:

I’m actually quite astonished with the design choice. I would have suspected something more stone-age force of nature ish like the old Hunter. That guy rather looks Empire to me. Too civilized.

I don’t like him and stay with my own smurf 😄

859BA0C4-4863-4147-85D2-2C926E2382B1.png

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

I’m actually quite astonished with the design choice. I would have suspected something more stone-age force of nature ish like the old Hunter. That guy rather looks Empire to me. Too civilized.

I don’t like him and stay with my own smurf 😄

859BA0C4-4863-4147-85D2-2C926E2382B1.png

Smurfs are very jealous never drop them ;)  

but I agree, too empire is also a good point. But, hey, luckily enough people do like him and we have our Alternatives