Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

Hey all long time chaos player looking for a change of pace, have been gifted an old empire army and have the following to work with:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)

Battleline
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
- Halberds and Shields
- Spears and Shields
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)

Units
20 x Flagellants (160)
20 x Freeguild Greatswords (320)
10 x Freeguild Outriders (200)
10 x Freeguild Pistoliers (200)

Artillery
Helblaster Volley Gun (120)
Helstorm Rocket Battery (130)

Total: 2460 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 234

I like the tempest eye spells and a more dynamic mobile army has an appeal

I have a pile of old empire knights I was planning to use the outrider guns on them I suspect I can get 20 pistolers and 20 outriders out of it

Hey all long time chaos player looking for a change of pace, have been gifted an old empire army and have the following to work with:

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)

Battleline
- Halberds and Shields
- Spears and Shields

Units
20 x Flagellants (160)

Artillery

I have a pile of old empire knights I was planning to use the outrider guns on them I suspect I can get 20 pistolers and 20 outriders out of it

Pretty happy with those changes. I've also been thinking about what would be the best way to incorporate KO into at TE list. A couple options, I see that could be fun and decent:

• Combat/ fast option - 9 Endrinriggers w/ combat weapons & some caster on a flying monster, who tries to cast the +1 attack spell. Probably the Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon is the best option. +1 attack makes the Endrinriggers a nasty unit, and if you give the Arcanum Swift as the Wind, and Zephyrite Banner, they are pretty threatning on turn 1, even with 24" deployment. The Arcanum could cast mystic shield on himself, for a 2+ save re-rolling 1's to be pretty tank too. Downside is that with no bonuses to cast, it's probably 50/50 that you get the +1 attack spell to go off.
  • Shooting/teleporting option - Gunhauler, Endrinmaster w/ Dirigible Suit (& Hawk Eye), and 6 Endrinriggers w/ shooting weapons. For 520 points, you get a group of 8 models that can teleport around the board and put out some good shooting and  have profiles that are well suited to take advantage of Hawk Eye (guns that naturally wound on 4s and 3s). Could be a good addition to list that are mostly footslogging, but does require you to have 12 total units.
  • Defensive/cheap option - Arkanauts are cheap 4+ save battleline.  20 or 30 could be good for bubble wrapping. They are basically freeguild guard that cost 1pt/model more but has a 2 shot pistol.

Anyone have success with any other KO/TE synergies?

Hello guys!

With the points reduction, I found a nice little 1000 points list for Tempest Eye. Not the most competitive, but decent and for sure very fun to play:

• Warden King
  • Runelord
  • 2*10 Ironbreakers
  • 2*10 Hammerers
  • Arkanaut Frigate
  • 10 Arkanauts (embarked in frigate)

1000 points exactly. In Meeting Engagement this must be quite fun! What do you think?

Edited by Alaric83

17 hours ago, Alaric83 said:

1000 points exactly. In Meeting Engagement this must be quite fun! What do you think?

Sounds doable but you need to break your force into spearhead, main body and rearguard. 

That seems a difficult decision for your force.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:15 AM, backslide said:

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)
Battlemage (90)

Battleline
- Halberds and Shields
- Spears and Shields

Units
20 x Flagellants (160)

Artillery

That’s a good base to start from. Have you tried a game with them yet?  Also these are the old points. It might be worth checking the new ones and give the tempest eye battalion a look. With that many pistoliers and outriders it might be worth it.  

12 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

What do you guys think about an ironclad in a TE army?

I've been writing Ironclad lists, here's probably my favorite so far that I'll test on Saturday. 
Phoenix and PG are the main combat body that play in the most dangerous spot. Handgunners and Gyro tag objectives either separately, or as one element with the Hurricanum. Ironclad carries Arka Co and, if possible, stays near the Hurricanum for as many shooting phases as possible. In later turns, Gyro will speed off to tag objectives and Ironclad will dump Arka Co on an objective. Hurricanum casts Lifeswarm for Ironclad/Phoenix/PG as necessary, next turn Runelord dispels it and Hurricanum recasts it. 

1446923089_TE-Tourney8(ArkanautCo).JPG.307e9710a053279694c8ae6345f2aba5.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tidings said:

I've been writing Ironclad lists, here's probably my favorite so far that I'll test on Saturday. 
Phoenix and PG are the main combat body that play in the most dangerous spot. Handgunners and Gyro tag objectives either separately, or as one element with the Hurricanum. Ironclad carries Arka Co and, if possible, stays near the Hurricanum for as many shooting phases as possible. In later turns, Gyro will speed off to tag objectives and Ironclad will dump Arka Co on an objective. Hurricanum casts Lifeswarm for Ironclad/Phoenix/PG as necessary, next turn Runelord dispels it and Hurricanum recasts it. 

Looks nice!

yet after the point updates the Irinclad costs only 480 pts =}

17 minutes ago, Tidings said:

What's your reason for taking a runelord into your non Dispossessed list?

On 7/22/2020 at 2:28 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

What's your reason for taking a runelord into your non Dispossessed list?

Because he's dirt cheap, can dispel lifeswarm with +2, can unbind enemy magic with +2, and is a 3rd hero with for some scenarios is really important. 2 isn't enough.
On top of that, he can give the gyro bonus to rend. In TE it's really easy for even a lone Gyro to get a nice shooting phase off on the first turn and be in the way - but that's just something to do in certain situations. 

EDIT: I was wrong, the Runelord can't use his prayer on a Gyro! Sad days. Still, I think the previous reasons are enough to make a case for him. 

Edited by Tidings
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Because he's dirt cheap, can dispel lifeswarm with +2, can unbind enemy magic with +2, and is a 3rd hero with for some scenarios is really important. 2 isn't enough.
On top of that, he can give the gyro bonus to rend. In TE it's really easy for even a lone Gyro to get a nice shooting phase off on the first turn and be in the way - but that's just something to do in certain situations. 

He sadly can't buff the gyro since the gyro doesn't have the dispossessed tag.

He can buff then with the greywater prayer though

re: ironclad,

i've been trying to figure this out for awhile.  I definitely want to do it, but not as a full shooty army - more shooting support.

I kept going back between guns and company in the ironclad, but more recently I thought about using hitcher endinriggers or skywardens instead. i really wish i could find a way to get a third unit of KO in there, but 12 units is pretty tough when you consider the ironclad and hurricanum costwise... 

Originally i was relying on 60pt scourgerunners to fill 2/3 of my battleline, but that's all goofed up now so i'm really trying to figure it out.

I was looking at more of an aggressive move idea where the ironclad does fire support but is for positioning charges from the skywardens (or endinriggers, not sure what's better).  

I use evocators on dracolines as a swift hammer alongside the skywardens (or edinriggers?)  so i should have good coverage to hit any units held up by guard, etc... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

We are playing a lot of ME at the moment and I am testing a few cities lists. I tried some living cities lists with dragons but they had not enough punch. Now i would like to try a TE list, to see if its playable in the ME-setting.

I thought about a list like this:

- City: Tempest's Eye
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Spearhead
3 x Demigryph Knights (180)
- Lance and Sword
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Main Body
Freeguild General on Griffon (320)
- General
- Shield & Runesword
- Command Trait: Swift as the Wind
- Artefact: Zephyrite Banner
3 x Demigryph Knights (180)
- Lance and Sword
3 x Aetherwings (40)
- Allies

Rearguard
3 x Aetherwings (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 69

Fast and flexible list with 3 hard hitters, that can be buffed by the general. Shadow warriors to secure targets or sniper enemy heroes - sisters for magic support (strike of eagles and mystic shield).

I prefer Aetherwings for a cheap and fast flying screen and to fill the rearguard with more bodies than with a scourgerunner. But the warscrollbuilder marks my stormcast-unit-maximum red because i have 2 stormcast-units at 7 units. Is it possible to play the second unit as an ally like i did? I tried that, but the warscrollbuilder still marks it red. Maybe someone could tell me if that list is legal and if its a warscrollbuilder-fault, or if allying that second unit is not allowed and i have to take a scourgerunner instead.

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards!

3 hours ago, Lord Hightower said:

I prefer Aetherwings for a cheap and fast flying screen and to fill the rearguard with more bodies than with a scourgerunner. But the warscrollbuilder marks my stormcast-unit-maximum red because i have 2 stormcast-units at 7 units. Is it possible to play the second unit as an ally like i did? I tried that, but the warscrollbuilder still marks it red. Maybe someone could tell me if that list is legal and if its a warscrollbuilder-fault, or if allying that second unit is not allowed and i have to take a scourgerunner instead.

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards!

Unfortunately you can't, you must have 6 non-stormcast units before the 2nd can be added. 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, WatcherintheWater said:

Pretty happy with those changes. I've also been thinking about what would be the best way to incorporate KO into at TE list. A couple options, I see that could be fun and decent:

• Combat/ fast option - 9 Endrinriggers w/ combat weapons & some caster on a flying monster, who tries to cast the +1 attack spell. Probably the Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon is the best option. +1 attack makes the Endrinriggers a nasty unit, and if you give the Arcanum Swift as the Wind, and Zephyrite Banner, they are pretty threatning on turn 1, even with 24" deployment. The Arcanum could cast mystic shield on himself, for a 2+ save re-rolling 1's to be pretty tank too. Downside is that with no bonuses to cast, it's probably 50/50 that you get the +1 attack spell to go off.
  • Shooting/teleporting option - Gunhauler, Endrinmaster w/ Dirigible Suit (& Hawk Eye), and 6 Endrinriggers w/ shooting weapons. For 520 points, you get a group of 8 models that can teleport around the board and put out some good shooting and  have profiles that are well suited to take advantage of Hawk Eye (guns that naturally wound on 4s and 3s). Could be a good addition to list that are mostly footslogging, but does require you to have 12 total units.
  • Defensive/cheap option - Arkanauts are cheap 4+ save battleline.  20 or 30 could be good for bubble wrapping. They are basically freeguild guard that cost 1pt/model more but has a 2 shot pistol.

Anyone have success with any other KO/TE synergies?

Plus on attack is quite good on endrinriggers. Good thing you're not allowed to do it with KO itself any more or something. Couldn't let KO units be better in their own army than in a TE army after all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NauticalSoup said:

@Lord Hightower to expand on Evantas answer, SCE are not an ally of CoS. Similarly KO cannot be allies of Tempest's Eye and Sylvaneth cannot be allies of Living City. I guess they thought it would be confusing to have units from one faction that might be either within your allegiance or not.

Or that you could end up with more Sylvaneth units in a Living City army than Cties units, for example.

On 8/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, stratigo said:

Plus on attack is quite good on endrinriggers. Good thing you're not allowed to do it with KO itself any more or something. Couldn't let KO units be better in their own army than in a TE army after all.

Yeah, the Khemist buff in the old KO book was nasty. That's basically what I was trying to replicate. The problem is you probably have less than a 50% chance of getting the spell off, given the casting value and chance of a dispel.