Tempest Eye Discussion

Televiper11

I am also extremely excited and plan to be incorporating some KO airships into my army, since they benefit from the buffs. I've never played KO before so which do we think gives the most bang for their buck? 

Also wondering about what we think are the best ranged unit options. 

We have:

20x Freeguild Handgunners: M5 6+ SV, 19 shots at +4, 3+, -1, 1, 1 shot at 30" 4+, 3+, -1, 2or 3+ of they don't move, and get to fire overwatch - 200 pts

20x Irondrakes - M4, 4+ SV, 19 shots if moved or 39 shots if still, 3+ / 3+ / -1 / 1 with 1 or 2 at 3+, 3+, -2 D3 - 300pts

OR i realized that  10x Grundstock Thunderers are a great deal too: if all rifles,  M4, 4+ sv, 22 shots at 18" at 3+ 4+ -1, 1 for only 180pts

my starting list right now looks like 

Warden King 110

Runelord 90

Hurricanum with Mage 280

20x Ironbreakers 

20x Longbeards

30x Hammerers 

20x Irondrakes 300

20x Freeguild Guard 200

which comes to around 1800 pts or so...not sure what to use final 200 points for. Steam tank? Endrinriggers + gyrocopter? Organ gun i mean hellblaster volley?

Edited by ColsBols
  • Like 1

Thanks for starting! I currently play KO, and have a decent collection of Dispossessed that I'm working on moving to round bases. Before Cities, I was never really interested in using Dispossessed as anything more than allies. But now I'm really excited to do a KO/Dispossessed Tempest's Eye list. Here is what I'm thinking:

• Gotrek
  • 2x Runelords
  • Aether Khemist
  • Knight Azyros
  • 40 Arkanaut Company
  • 30 Hammerers
  • 2x10 Longbeards

Plan would be for the one Runelord to stick with the Hammerers as one big combat block. Gotrek & at least 10 Longbeards are another combat threat. Gotrek can use the run 6" command  on turn 1 to keep up with everyone, and the Longbeards give him Look out Sir, and prevent too many models from a horde unit being able to alocate attacks against him.  The Arkanauts, Khemist, & other Runelord (general with +1 to wound in shooting phase trait) stick together and shoot away from behind those units, while slowly moving up to get objectives late game depending on scenario. I'll make the Khemist the 2nd in command (forget what it's called), and keep him near the general, who will also have the CP generating artifact. Azyros flys all the way up to my opponent on turn 1 to buff shooting, and be a speed bump. If he's still alive in turn 2 he can use his hero phase MW blast.

• LOVE IT! 1

Woohoo! Yes, was looking for a TE discussion. Just posted this in the general Dispossessed discussion but it's more apt here.

Working on 2 list options... Mixture of Dispossessed/Kharadron/Stormcast/Gotrek

List 1: Tempest's Eye

Leaders
Aether Khemist - General, +1 to wound trait, no battleshock artefact 140
Knight Incantor 140
Knight Azyros 100

Battleline
20 Arkanauts - skyhooks 240
10 Irondrakes - grudgehammer 150
10 Longbeards - shields 110

Behemoth
Celestial Hurricanum 220

Other
9 Endrinriggers 360
Gyrocopter 80
Gyrocopter 80

Screen with Longbeards, also dispell pesky endless spells. Khemist buffs riggers on first turn, send them out to kill and die. Khemist buffs with trait on ranged units and CA to run and shoot on necessary unit. Knight Azyros heads out to screen and provide reroll 1s to hit buff. Every one marches forward shooting. Hurricanum provides +1 to hit, command trait provides +1 to wound. Arkanuats 3+h/2+w/-2r against units, 2+h/2+w/-2r against heroes and monsters. Drakes are 2+h/2+w?-1r. Gyros are slaying horde units and grabbing objectives.

Option 2: Tempest's Eye

Leaders
Aether Khemist - General, +1 to wound trait, no battleshock artefact 140
Knight Azyros 100

Battleline
30 Arkanauts - skyhooks 240
20 Irondrakes - grudgehammer 150

Behemoth
Celestial Hurricanum 220

Other
Gotrek 520
Gyrocopter 80

Fewer models, BUT Gotrek! Same battle tactics as above but gotrek rip roars in one direction while the rest of the army focuses in another. Gotrek is so much fun...but he is a lot of points. 30 arkanauts firing twice is brutal with the added buffs. 20 drakes firing 40 shots only missing 1s is brutal.

Would love your thoughts, tips, etc.

Yay, a Tempest's Eye thread!

So, not to waste it, I'll repost my long and elaborate reasoning why you should use Darkshards in Tempest's Eye ; )

First of all, darkshards are only Cities basic infantry that can shoot at full effectiveness after moving. So everything here is of much less use for crossbowmen, handgunners, sisters and irondrakes. Typically, in most scenarios, you can deploy your infantry just outside of 24' from enemy deployment zone. With Darkshards' 6 move and 16 range, they have a base threat range of 22. Not enough to reach anything if they get the first turn.

However, look at what we have at our disposal:  flat +3 move bonus (threat range 25) - anything standing on the edge of enemy deployment zone can be now hit. This is huge, because it's not just a bonus, it's opening entirely new utility for your cheap, battleline, easily buffable unit. But of course, we can't always count on targets being put so much forward. Worry not, we have 2 separate command skills, one from sorceress and other from the city itself, allowing them to run and shoot (26-31). Tempest's Eye grants them +1 to run bonus (27-32), and hornblower another one, on top of that (28-33). If we really need it, we can use the basic command skill to get an auto 6 on run movement.

>Digression on Tempest's Eye Command Point potential: It costs a command point again, of course, but, first of all, we get CP generation from adjutant, as every city does. And to add to that, Tempests'Eye gets a CP generating artifact. And, possibly most fun of all, CP generating spell. That you can take on sorceress getting +2 to cast from sacrificing some cheap minion. So let's just assume, that, together with actually usable battalion granting an extra one, you won't run out of CP easily.

So, back to our Darkshards that now have 33 inch effective range, forcing all enemy units to start more than *9* inches from their deployment zone edge to not get hit by our cheap battleline. And that's not accounting for things like Wildform (35) and maybe even Cogs (37) that are not fully reliable (compared to everything mentioned earlier) but if opponents wants to be safe, they must back off even further. Squishing them more and more into their territory, and leaving a lot more space to, for example, drop Shadow Warriors. OR for good old Outrider manouvering. Or just for our tougher infantry running at insane speeds to fortify the objectives.

And what happens if there *is* a target for Darkshards? Hey, our city offers free +1 to wound from shooting from a warlord trait, turning that shooty blob's profile into 3+/3+. Why not drop a hurricanum on them as well for 2+/3+? If you positively must hit with each and every one of those bolts, there's either volleey fire sommand ability or Knight Azyros' aura. And with his speed with all the buffs mentioned here, he *will* get this aura in range.

So. Insanely fast cavalry, first turn charges and so on are nice, but you have no choice but to respect the power of an angry shooty aelf.

EDIT: I forgot to mention two things: Of course, some of this applies to other cities as well - run and shoot fom Sorceress can still get your crossbows in range even without Tempest's Eye bonuses, but, obviously, Tempest's Eye does it better and with no randomness involved. Also, we get +1 to wound without resorting to spells ; )

Second: And what if you don't have first turn? Good thing your frontine is composed of cheap battleline infantry enemy has to chew through, especially with their buffed save, right? ; ) Tempest's Eye's other strength is turning your chaff into more effective shields against alpha strikes. And those darkshards were cheap anyway, you won't miss them *that* much, and by charging into them, enemy is now in range of way more dangerous things.

TLDR: Tempest's Eye turns Darkshards into an alpha strike unit while keeping them a cheap horde, while their shooting effectiveness is comparable only to more expensive Arkanauts [which are, also, great for us ; )]

What other units do you think our city rules help the most?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ColsBols said:

I am also extremely excited and plan to be incorporating some KO airships into my army, since they benefit from the buffs. I've never played KO before so which do we think gives the most bang for their buck? 

Also wondering about what we think are the best ranged unit options. 

We have:

20x Freeguild Handgunners: M5 6+ SV, 19 shots at +4, 3+, -1, 1, 1 shot at 30" 4+, 3+, -1, 2or 3+ of they don't move, and get to fire overwatch - 200 pts

20x Irondrakes - M4, 4+ SV, 19 shots if moved or 39 shots if still, 3+ / 3+ / -1 / 1 with 1 or 2 at 3+, 3+, -2 D3 - 300pts

OR i realized that  10x Grundstock Thunderers are a great deal too: if all rifles,  M4, 4+ sv, 22 shots at 18" at 3+ 4+ -1, 1 for only 180pts

For the KO ships, it depends on what you want to use them for:

• Gunhauler - Cheap & fast. Can use that movement to claim objectives, or to be a speedbump.
  • Frigate - If you want to use the ship as a transport, this is your most cost efficient option.
  • Ironclad - Has the most firepower. 

One thing that will make using the Frigate or Ironclad as a transport tricky is the 1 in 4 KO unit limit. So if you have a ship, and a unit in the ship to transport, that's probably all the KO you can fit in your list.

There is a cool trick you can do with Thunderers if you deploy the in a frigate or ironclad. They can disembark on turn 1 (4" disembark move), move 7" (base 4"+3" for tempest eye), shoot, charge (2d6 if successful), then retreat out of combat during their activation per their warscroll ability (base 4"+3" for tempest eye+d6). So they can go 18+3d6" as long as you make your 

6 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

For the KO ships, it depends on what you want to use them for:

• Gunhauler - Cheap & fast. Can use that movement to claim objectives, or to be a speedbump.
  • Frigate - If you want to use the ship as a transport, this is your most cost efficient option.
  • Ironclad - Has the most firepower. 

One thing that will make using the Frigate or Ironclad as a transport tricky is the 1 in 4 KO unit limit. So if you have a ship, and a unit in the ship to transport, that's probably all the KO you can fit in your list.

There is a cool trick you can do with Thunderers if you deploy the in a frigate or ironclad. They can disembark on turn 1 (4" disembark move), move 7" (base 4"+3" for tempest eye), shoot, charge (2d6 if successful), then retreat out of combat during their activation per their warscroll ability (base 4"+3" for tempest eye+d6). So they can go 18+3d6" as long as you make your 

That's a nice little play. I think with no deep strike its going to be tricky to include the airships outside of purely fun lists. Although the gun haulers strike last bombs might be a useful trick. 

A big unit of Endrinriggers with khemist buff and the +1 attack spell looks tasty as a counter attack once the enemy has hit your chaff screen. Or can't go wrong with classic arkco skyhooks and khemist. 

@dekay good argument,but I'm sticking with (mostly) short bearded folk nonetheless. 

Handgunners all the way with Tempest Eye. Get them out in a long gun line for excellent board control with overwatch. Use them as a charge deterrent and screen. Sure, they'll fold up quickly but in the meantime, you've brought up your heavy hitters and are wrecking havoc in the backfield.

Edited by Televiper11

51 minutes ago, dekay said:

*snip*

It's reasons like this that this tome is a detriment to peoples money. You really do get a lot of armies in 1... so many different things to do. I'm starting with a fun Greywater list, Hallowheart for a competitive one and most assuredly had TE set on my 3rd build-out for a cav\shooty army. I think your write up on the effective range and potential danger of what most see as a chaff shooting unit is wonderful.

And so is this book.

44 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Handgunners all the way with Tempest Eye. Get them out in a long gun line for excellent board control with overwatch. Use them as a charge deterrent and screen. Sure, they'll fold up quickly but in the meantime, you've brought up your heavy hitters and are wrecking havoc in the backfield.

that's a great idea. Would the handgunners get to shoot before or after a Mawcrusha does his Destructive bulk?

My first idea for this army is a bit different from most people, it seems.

• Batallion
    • General on Griffin
    • 10x Outriders
    • 5x Outriders
    • 15x Pistoleers
  • 20x Dark Riders
  • Luminarch with mage
  • 40x Freeguild Guard
  • Emerald Lifeswarm

This may seem a bit thin in bodies until you get to the guard (I'd prefer to have more Dark Riders, but I don't have them and cannot get to the discount), but there are smaller armies around.

Why a Luminarch and not a Hurricanum? Well, the range for the boost is short with this type of army, and I think the mortal wound output may be more useful.

I originally planned something with Gotrek, but I couldn't make that work with the batallion.

EDIT to make it a bit clear, the Dark Riders have an effective threat range of 16+14+3 without spells or abilities. That's none too shabby, and their attacks aren't bad (that's 60 attacks at 5/4/-/1, so anything that helps them attack better is a good idea). They are, however, primarily very fast anvils with their high save (and yes, I'll cast Mystic shield on them), and they give a nice bravery debuff which stacks with the general.

The Outriders and Pistoleers are the primary damage dealers. They simply get more damage on target than the Dark Riders can.

Th guard trundle up and put a lot of bodies on an objective, and if they get a bit of encouragement from their general, they can give damaging a good old college try.

Another option would be to use the old Free People Regiment, I think that still works out with their keywords, and you get to use more movement in the first turn. It also gives +1 to hit, +1 to bravery and battleshock immunity on 1's

Edited by zilberfrid

Is an Ironclad worth it without using any other ships? I've had one sitting in my closet for about a year because I love how it looks but don't play KO. With this new CoS release I was thinking I'd play Tempest's Eye and maybe use some of my existing dwarf units as AC of thunderers.

Edited by Fotta

23 minutes ago, Fotta said:

Is an Ironclad worth it without using any other ships? I've had one sitting in my closet for about a year because I love how it looks but don't play KO. With this new CoS release I was thinking I'd play Tempest's Eye and maybe use some of my existing dwarf units as AC of thunderers.

I also would like an answer to this because i'm gonna get either a frigate or a clad to go with my one hauler and not sure which

I have revised my list a bit:

Batallion 1 120
General Griffin 1 320
Outriders 15 300

Pistoleers 10 200
Pistoleers 5 100
Hurricanum w wizard 1 280
General 1 100
Knight Incantor 1 140
Freeguild Guard 20 160
Freeguild Greatswords 10 160
Dais Arcanum 1 30
Emerald Lifeswarm 1 50
The Burning Head 1 30

The General is the, well, general, with the thermalrider cloak and +1 wound within 12 ability,

Knight Incantor is the adjudant, and can grant hit rerolls of 1 by ways of burning head and saves with the 

the General on Griffin has the Patriciers Helm, granting battleshock immunity in 12"

The Knight Incantor starts out by putting himself on a Dais Arcanum to keep up (and safe), and the Freeguild Guard and Greatswords run their lungs out to stay close to the General. Meanwhile the pistoleers do quite a bit of kiting, and the outriders try to get a good spot where the general can boost them up to adequate numbers.

In total, when everything comes together, the Outriders deal their 45 attacks at 2+ (reroll ones)/2+/-1/1, the pistoleers can shoot even more at 3+/2+/-1/1 (I want to say 60, but it feels like I'm missing a bit), greatswords are also at 2/2, the griffin could be a real terror (when healthy with some buffs it's about 13 wounds vs save 4), and the KI and Hurricanum deal out a lot of mortal wounds. There are two casts and three unbinds, which I think isn't that bad, since I don't want to overcomplicate thing for my first games.

It will probably not be as good as I theorycraft, but it does give a feeling of having some synergy. 

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fotta said:

Theyre pretty sick they put out quite a bit of damage with the volley gun. Id recommend taking company as battle line so you can make use of it but yeah its pretty good. Bear in mind its goong to get killed. One volley from it and its now a target. Protect it or sacrifice it well

Won my first game with Tempest Eye today! Beat back the filthy khazakidum of Slaanesh. I'll put the list at the bottom. Here's my thoughts:

Celestial Hurricanum is BONKERS and absolutely an autoinclude. Pray to Valaya that they don't FAQ the portents of battle to be "wholly within 10" because +1 to hit for all units within 10 is awesome, Storms of Shemtek did major work on two Keepers of Secrets.

Hammerers are also wicked good, a unit of 30 chewed through 5 hellstriders, two chariots, and finished off a KOS. 

Ironbreakers didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but maybe it's because I rolled terribly. 

Positioning with this army is going to be so key. I gambled with putting the irondrakes within 3" of the front line of breakers so they could shoot down an Epitome on turn one, but I paid for it when the KOS reached over and took out 10 with two hits. I've been contemplating using ten grundstock thunderers with their 18' reach and if you want to get some shots off on turn one, 16'" didn't really cut it.

This army played like I wanted it to but it definitely leans into the deathball and I realized very quickly that I didn't have any units with a move of more than 2D6. Gotta bring some copters next time. Luckily I ended up being able to run the 5 remaining ironbreakers onto the third objective (Total Conquest.)

My List:

General: Runelord (trait: reroll ones to wound for shooting), artefact: the one that gives you a CP on 4+

Runelord 

Warden King

Hammerers 30x 

Ironbreakers 20x

Irondrakes 20x

10x Longbeards

10x Longbeards

Thunderers I mean Freeguild Gunners 20x 

Steam Tank 

Hurricanum With Battlemage (Aura of Glory)

2000/2000

72631221_2873323106015756_6189782248519106560_n.jpg

• LOVE IT! 6

30 minutes ago, ColsBols said:

My List:

General: Runelord (trait: reroll ones to wound for shooting), artefact: the one that gives you a CP on 4+

Runelord 

Warden King

Hammerers 30x 

Ironbreakers 20x

Irondrakes 20x

10x Longbeards

10x Longbeards

Steam Tank 

2000/2000

Very nice however if the points i have seen are correct I think you are at 2110, did you only have one unit of longbeards maybe?

nevermind it happens, especially when its new!

My inital idea for a list would be:

Batallion 1 120
General Griffin 1 320
Pistoleers 5 100
Pistoleers 5 100
Pistoleers 5 100
Hurricanum 1 220
Runelord 1 90
cogsmith 1 60
Gryobombers 3 210
Ironbreakers 20 260
Longbeards 10 110
Irondrakes 20 300

The idea would be to get the battalion and gyrobombers up and in the opponents face first turn while the rest of the army gets into position for the irondrakes to be able to fire effectively turn 2.  Have the bombers pull back behind the lines for repairs if necessary (while dropping bombs on the way) and then move from there.

Would not expect to be super competitive with this but it uses alot of models i like and would be alot of fun i think.

My local scene plays 2500 for the big tournament of the year so i would also look to add in 30 hammerers and another 10 irondrakes or make all the pistoleers into 10 man units and put a battlemage on the hurricanum instead of the hammerers.

2 hours ago, ColsBols said:

Won my first game with Tempest Eye today! Beat back the filthy khazakidum of Slaanesh. I'll put the list at the bottom. Here's my thoughts:

Celestial Hurricanum is BONKERS and absolutely an autoinclude. Pray to Valaya that they don't FAQ the portents of battle to be "wholly within 10" because +1 to hit for all units within 10 is awesome, Storms of Shemtek did major work on two Keepers of Secrets.

Hammerers are also wicked good, a unit of 30 chewed through 5 hellstriders, two chariots, and finished off a KOS. 

Ironbreakers didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but maybe it's because I rolled terribly. 

Positioning with this army is going to be so key. I gambled with putting the irondrakes within 3" of the front line of breakers so they could shoot down an Epitome on turn one, but I paid for it when the KOS reached over and took out 10 with two hits. I've been contemplating using ten grundstock thunderers with their 18' reach and if you want to get some shots off on turn one, 16'" didn't really cut it.

This army played like I wanted it to but it definitely leans into the deathball and I realized very quickly that I didn't have any units with a move of more than 2D6. Gotta bring some copters next time. Luckily I ended up being able to run the 5 remaining ironbreakers onto the third objective (Total Conquest.)

My List:

Runelord 

Warden King

Hammerers 30x 

Ironbreakers 20x

Irondrakes 20x

10x Longbeards

10x Longbeards

Steam Tank 

2000/2000

72631221_2873323106015756_6189782248519106560_n.jpg

Really love seeing those proud dwarves standing up to demonlords. That's why I play cities (though more floppy hats on my side)!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tali182 said:

nevermind it happens, especially when its new!

My inital idea for a list would be:

Batallion 1 120
General Griffin 1 320
Pistoleers 5 100
Pistoleers 5 100
Pistoleers 5 100
Hurricanum 1 220
Runelord 1 90
cogsmith 1 60
Gryobombers 3 210
Ironbreakers 20 260
Longbeards 10 110
Irondrakes 20 300

The idea would be to get the battalion and gyrobombers up and in the opponents face first turn while the rest of the army gets into position for the irondrakes to be able to fire effectively turn 2.  Have the bombers pull back behind the lines for repairs if necessary (while dropping bombs on the way) and then move from there.

Would not expect to be super competitive with this but it uses alot of models i like and would be alot of fun i think.

My local scene plays 2500 for the big tournament of the year so i would also look to add in 30 hammerers and another 10 irondrakes or make all the pistoleers into 10 man units and put a battlemage on the hurricanum instead of the hammerers.

I would really urge you to try and put a mage on the hurricanum, it's only 60 points, and spells are good to have. Maybe by bringing a bit less Gyrobombers (also, were they not more expensive than copters)?

If you get your hands on a Burning Heads spell, it can grant rerolls of 1. Emerald Lifeswarm would also be brilliant for keeping your units full.

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I would really urge you to try and put a mage on the hurricanum, it's only 60 points, and spells are good to have. Maybe by bringing a bit less Gyrobombers (also, were they not more expensive than copters)?

If you get your hands on a Burning Heads spell, it can grant rerolls of 1. Emerald Lifeswarm would also be brilliant for keeping your units full.

I could easily drop the cogsmith to do so if i wanted, would just loose the benefit of the adjutant and healing the copters.   I wanted bombers over copters due to being able to drop bombs every turn rather then just once.  The hope/plane would be to have them eventually sitting behind the shieldwall then moving out and back again every movement phase doing up to 3D3 MWs plus their normal shooting on what ever gets to close to my front lines.

2 minutes ago, Tali182 said:

I could easily drop the cogsmith to do so if i wanted, would just loose the benefit of the adjutant and healing the copters.   I wanted bombers over copters due to being able to drop bombs every turn rather then just once.  The hope/plane would be to have them eventually sitting behind the shieldwall then moving out and back again every movement phase doing up to 3D3 MWs plus their normal shooting on what ever gets to close to my front lines.

Emerald Lifeswarm easily takes care of the healing, and also takes care of your other troops. D6 wounds or models returned per round. Costs an extra 50 points though.

8 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Emerald Lifeswarm easily takes care of the healing, and also takes care of your other troops. D6 wounds or models returned per round. Costs an extra 50 points though.

true, would have to tweek the list a bit for that at 2k.  A concern with endless spells though is unless you  go second in the next battle round your opponent will get to control it moving it out of range or even healing themselves with it, and RAW it is still empowered for them as well i believe.

Edit: was wrong about what the lifeswarm could do

Edited by Tali182