The Future of AoS

Overread

I have a feeling that none of the elven races will be entirely elvish when GW is done with them, so Sylvaneth might not be all that odd in the long run. I do appreciate that in the Old World lore, the tree spirits were spirits of the forest that were allied with the Wood Elves but not part of them, ect but at the same time the Tree Revenants are rather blatantly the spirits of old wood elves brought back to serve, based on their flavor text in the battletomes. Rather ironic, actually.

On that subject, just to clear this point up finally:

These models really help bring the world of Beastgrave to life. For the Beasts of Chaos, we’ve got the first ever Great Bray-Shaman, ungor and Bestigor designed for the Mortal Realms, capturing the bestial savagery of their race perfectly. For the Kurnothi, we’ve had our first look at what seems to be a brand new race in the Mortal Realms

So yes, Kurnothi represent a new faction as I have said from the beginning. I did a bit of squinting at their flavor text and they seem to be likely positioned as allies of the Sylvaneth but not part of them.  Still unknown if they will be entirely new or integrate Wanderers, though.

For the Kurnothi, we’ve had our first look at what seems to be a brand new race in the Mortal Realms…

For me that's enough to believe Kurnothi will get their own army. They wouldn't get a place in a new Beastgrave box as well if they weren't planned for something bigger. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tenshi said:

They're elves. Their big boss is Alarielle.
If they don't count as elves, then KO don't count as dwarves because you can't see their beards.

So by that logic, Nighthaunts' count as human?  Glad to know they will totally be included in the (hopefully) upcoming Cities of Sigmar Battle Tome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

So by that logic, Nighthaunts' count as human?  Glad to know they will totally be included in the (hopefully) upcoming Cities of Sigmar Battle Tome.

Don't be silly! They're not an Order army!
But if you ask me about their origin I'd say that yes, they're the souls of humans.

The Kurnothi could be a new race but that doesn't mean they become a new faction in the core game with a whole army of their own. Only GW really knows if that will or won't be the case; even then it might be a plan years off. 

Curiously the helm design of the centaur really makes them feel wood-elfish. A curious thing if they are going to be a new army since you'd expect them to poach most of the old wood elf kits - then again perhaps Cities of Sigmar will end up a bit like Legions of Nagash. 

All of the Kurnothi models takes design cues from Wood Elves. The Orange Mohawks are from Wardancers, the Helm/Antlers on the Centaur is from Wild Riders, and the woven leather/copper armor on all of them comes from Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers/Nomad Prince.

They are so closely based on Wanderers that Wanderers have no future outside of Kurnothi, really. The fact that Wanderers were included in Cities of Sigmar is what makes me think they'll be part of the Kurnothi, otherwise they really might as well have been squatted like High Elves.

I'm hedging my bets and not buying more Wanderers until it's confirmed, but that's definitely the way I'm leaning on the whole thing.

Feel free to make a new thread to argue what is an Aelf/Human/duardin

Are there any non faction stuff yall would like to see, I for one would love better campaign support, The Malign portents felt like I was just making random choices and I had no idea how it would affect the narrative. Would love to see more stuff like narrative campaign packs, and the stuff in warcry imagined for AoS so that a "DM" could craft a multi tierd camapign (im doing it already tbh but i would totally get resources for my players to help with it)

Edited by SaJeel
  • Like 1

I'd welcome GW cleaning things up eventually with a nice 2.5 Rulebook which collates the various additions. Putting the GHB and Expansion rules into a single book every few years. Even if the Malign Sorcery rules (all of them) are in a single collated rulebook the pack is still worth it for the models (honestly most of what you pay for in that and Forbidden powers are the models). For me those collated rules are about making the game simpler for newbies as well as giving existing players collated rules with updates from errata and FAQ to cut down on paperwork. 

Otherwise expansion wise the next thing I'd welcome seeing would be "Apoc" style rules for the game. We've got Warcry (and skirmish on the side); we've got Meeting Engagements, Regular rules (2K) and I'd love to see GW take it further to bigger games.

The other thing I'd welcome and one might argue that Bonereapers photos are hinting at it, is some kind of castle and siege expansion for the game. Give each race their own light war-engines; give each Grand Alliance some castle building parts (perhaps for factions like Order and Chaos they could do generic walls and then faction "bling" expansions to decorate them). Of course all that ca nbe a bit of a stretch in this scale and often its where I'd be say. "GW you'd doing great with AT and Aeronautica in 40K so lets bring back Warmaster and give it the AoS flavour "

My main issue with AoS is the uncertainty with many factions. I would have prefered GW had just removed everything they did not intend to actually move properly into the AoS setting at this point.

Even with CoS coming up, I doubt we will see a new dawn for most miniatures in that book after that, it will probably be the last hurrah for those old world models, as it seems GW really wants to create all brand new factions specifically for AoS with maybe an older filler unit here and there, DoK being a prime example of mixing new and old to a cohesive new "pure AoS" faction.

Even armies who got battletomes in AoS 1.0 have been shuffled around, or as with one of my armies the Seraphon, appears to be completely forgotten. Ye they got a new spell lore in the generals handbook, but they are basically not present in any other AoS related material, be it novels, games or boxed games like warcry and underworlds.

This uncertainty that your purchase is a black hole I see as a major issue, and I would like nothing more than GW putting out a clear roadmap of "safe" factions, but they will not do that in a million years, as that is a loss of sale of obsolete models until then.

I have friends who started wanderers and slaves to darkness, GW even put out a STD box for christmas hooking people, only to see them not working at all in game, with no ray of hope from GW. These guys are not buying anything else, I am not buying any more seraphon and that is all because the future is so uncertain. Interesting sure, as everything can happen,  but the way factions are created and casually thrown to the wayside worries me a lot, as I like my purchases to have some legs to stand on moving forward.

It is definitely intriguing to think about what sorts of "side games" might come out for AoS.  We already have Warhammer Quest and War Cry, so yeah maybe the AoS equivalent of Aeronautica or Adeptus Titanicus is in order.

Oh hey - here's a fun thought!  Similar to how Adeptus Titanicus is a "historical" game that is set in the Horus Heresy, maybe we get a Titanicus-scale game that focuses on God Beasts, back during the time that they were active?  I'd buy the hell out of that game.

Edited by mikethefish

40 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

With regards to potential future Death releases, has anything been confirmed yet about the 'old ally' if Nagash that Lady O released from prison in the Forbidden Power expansion?

Bonereapers do not seem to fit into that aspect of the lore, being newer constructs rather than older warriors. 

I thought the released Ally was the new leader of the Bonereapers. In one of the intro videos he speaks of how he's clawed his way back from his prison; how Nagash was building an army for him to lead and now that he was free he was able to lead them. Ergo that Nagash has has been building Bonereapers for a while and whilst some, Morghasts, were used early on; he kept the bulk of them hidden away. Then his general escapes from prison and Nagash finally has a loyal leader he can put in charge of the army to properly send it forth to reap the Tithe and deal damage. He gets to unleash his weapon much like Sigmar unleashed his legions of Stormcast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just want to see more Beastmen to be honest.

The army always had massive potential as far as all sort of demi human animals are considered.

Mierce Miniature has taken lead in this regard with their different types of Beastmen (Rhine, Elephant, Dromedar, Werewolves, Naga/Yuan Ti).

Especially now that Beastmen have been distanced from specific Chaos God Worship... though I will be honest I would love for Slaan/Khorne and Pestigors to return and Compliment the Tzaangors God themed Beastmen.

However if that was the case I am sure we would see that with Khorne and Slaaneshi release, so I dont hold any hope for those no more.

But yeah. Bearmen and Werewolves are the very minimum that could be added.  (Wwolves > Skin wolves get Boc Keyword.)

Still cant wrap my head around the fact that the Warcry Raptoryx dont have the BoC keyword, when their lore background in its entirety says they are beasts mutated by chaos..... Hello ? Anyone ?! 

I do like the idea of fish people, but unfortunately with Idoneth being a thing I dont think there will be any more of those. 

Chaos sea monster would be interesting though. All sorts of underwater Beastmen (Crab people Crab people Crab people clak clak clak :D 

Vampires getting divorced from Death would be VERY interesting. As clearly Nagash wants all life dead... and Vampires kinda require living creatures to sustain themselves from going totally bat sh*t insane and turning totally rabid. 

It would be very interesting them to join Order as a new faction. Rather than the old Vampire Counts where they had all sorts of undead monstrosities, this would be mostly Vampires, their human retainers and such. Think Vampire themed Empire. Vlad would be proud heh.

In regards to the Bonereapers..... that thing could pass for Tyranid Genstealer Cults. If this was released for 40K I would be pretty ok with them, but it being a AoS army.... yeah... no. That whole factions reeks of "over the top" miniature design thats absolutely weird in the undead setting.

The miniatures are fairly nice, but god darn its as if Necrons and Tyranids had a baby together. Thats how the Bonereapers seem to me.

Edited by Myrdin

24 minutes ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

@Overread my understanding was that it was a long time ally of Nagash, yet no one has heard of this new mortarch before, that's what makes me doubt that this is the same friend of Nagash that just got out of the slammer. 

Remember most of the Mythic Age is totally undocumented in the Lore. It was one big mistake I think of GW to advance the story through 3 ages in about as many paragraphs. So by the Age of Sigmar the realms are already thousands of years old. This former ally is likely from the Mythic age, entrapped by Sigmar during that era so long ago that record of him has vanished from the archives of the realms

He's old enough to be ancient, but not as world ancient as the gods who we know from the Old World.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, madmac said:

They are so closely based on Wanderers that Wanderers have no future outside of Kurnothi, really. The fact that Wanderers were included in Cities of Sigmar is what makes me think they'll be part of the Kurnothi, otherwise they really might as well have been squatted like High Elves.

This intrigues me. I am really tired of tree elves, fish elves, centaur elves. Where are the good guy elves elves?

I see people complaining about "too many elves" and think "where are the normal dudes?".

I got my elves squatted. No replaces on the horizon for my Order Draconis,  Eldritch Council and Swifthawks and it leaves me worried.

On the other hand they kept Phoenix Temple and it makes me wonder of the will be the "DoK like base" for the fabled "Tyrion Elves", and i really hope they wont be something freakish passing on as elves AGAIN. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Remember most of the Mythic Age is totally undocumented in the Lore. It was one big mistake I think of GW to advance the story through 3 ages in about as many paragraphs. So by the Age of Sigmar the realms are already thousands of years old.

That's a really good point. When I first read about Age of Sigmar my assumption was that the "Age of Myth" was the old warhammer world, the Age of Chaos began with the end time as the refugees were harried across the multiverse, and now the Age of Sigmar is the turning of the tide. I was kind of dissapointed to learn that that fairly elegant set up wasn't the case, and that they'd barely described what amounts to an entire cycle of the world rising and falling to chaos again. The snippets I've read about the age of Myth sound cool and all, but I don't have any sense of connection to it.

I can see why they want to establish new characters, not tied to their past lore. But it does always seem odd when they say dramatically "after ten thousand years... XXXXX has returned?" and everyone is just like "Who?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that they need to focus on keywords and later in battletomes or "new armies".

A battletome is just an army that uses "one" keyword. But doesn't mean that all warscrolls should only have 1 "army keyword". 
Make the Phoenix Temple keyword part of CoS, but give the Hysh Aelves battletome the possibility to take Phoenix Temple too. Use the Dispossessed and Golemkind keyword to build another "new army" tome, but still make them viable to be used in CoS. Kurnothi battletome? Nice, but make a new one with Wanderers+Sylvaneth and Kurnothi for a full "wood elfs over 9000" army.
We already have some Soup battletomes (Legion of Nagash, Beasts of Chaos, etc...), so continue with that, and then, create new ones (Arkhan leading Bonereapers, good! now mix them with Deathrattle and create "Legion of Skellyboys"!!).

• LOVE IT! 2

Exactly, especially when we've had thousands of years and suddenly we've got Gotrek returning, the Everqueen etc... So there's thus VAST span of time that's gone past and it is hard for most to get their head around it. It doesn't help that al ot of the early lore is very spotty and GW doesn't do a great job of using dates for their system. 

Eg you can easily get the idea that Aelves are few in number from the early part sof Morathi's story; however then you realise that actually all that was thousands upon thousands of years in the distant early days and that since then Aelves are as heavily populated as any other species in the Realms. Indeed the only reason they are depopulated in AoS is the same reason humans and dwarves are - because legions of Chaos marched over everything. Otherwise Aelves are no longer the old-race of dieing aged ones. Indeed all the races of the Realms are basically the same age - perhaps barring the Slaan alone. 

• Like 1

I would like to hear opinions about the future of the Ogors

Do you think that GW will realease a dual box (like looncurse for example) with Bonereapers? I'm not buying Beastgrave right now beacuse i'm saving money for this box 🤔

Edited by Mungrun

5 minutes ago, Mungrun said:

I would like to hear opinions about the future of the Ogors

Do you think that GW will realease a dual box (like looncurse for example) with Bonereapers? I'm not buying Beastgrave right now beacuse i'm saving money for this box 🤔

Everyone seems to think so, but I still dont buy a looncurse box. At least not yet.

Given Ironjawz and Bone's were combined, I think the chances of BCR and Guts remaining seperate factions are next to nil. I have to imagine they'll both be in the mawtribes book. Figured most of the resin would go, but then they go ahead and rebase the Gorger so who knows lol.

Ogors have, honestly, a pretty bright future as far as niche army goes. Dont expect new models, but we have a decent range if we draw ourselves back together, so I can take some cav with my bulls without eating into ally points.

I really hope the book is good. I dont expect to see another one for years, and years given that not many people play Ogors. Will be sad if somehow they make grot spam the way to play lol

• Thanks 1