AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

7 minutes ago, Sception said:

Maybe it's the color scheme, or maybe it's just that the image I started with had one of the nose-less faces.  🤔

A combination of both I'd say. The colour scheme does a lot to make the model look creepy while the bone-y colour scheme GW uses just makes it look weird. I'd like to see how it would look with the nose-faces as well, though I doubt I'd ever like it more than the nose-less faces.

• Like 1

I might do a cream pallette for the bone with light brown/black wash, then red and blue washes near connections to portray rotten fleshy substances. Worked with cryx..

Go full un-cleansed butchered cadaver tones. But their weapons are a different matter.. and the armor.. hmmm.

Oh; and is anyone else not liking the "4th edition tyranid hive guard" 2 arms on the same side of the body holding the weapons and shields look!? Or am I alone in this

Edited by Neck-Romantic

They should be rather easy to do The Nightmare Before Christmas-y, which doubles the mockery. Like, I'm pretty sure Nagash could feel like giving them paintjobs? I'll go with a grim autumnal gothic feel with ruined bodies and armor, spiderwebs and leaves for mine, but maybe I'll enhance some of the grins to Jack Skellington's grimace. 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Oh; and is anyone else not liking the "4th edition tyranid hive guard" 2 arms on the same side of the body holding the weapons and shields look!? Or am I alone in this

Yeah it's pretty dumb. I plan to remove the lower arm completely for the two-handed weapons.

• Like 1

It might be easier to use one of the regular one armed swords and then replace the blade since there's more contact area there and it means you don't have to spend ages scraping with a blade to remove the hand and make the haft look ok afterward. 

That said I think the twinarm swords and halberds make a kind of sense. They don't hold them like that all the time, instead that duel hand hold lets htem take a charge or make a charge with far more power behind the blade. Once you're into swinging and blocking and striking they use one hand then the other; able to swap between them with a light toss or grip and thus confuse and gain advantage over their opponent. 

I actually kind of like that look, but would be better if the weapon side was either holding a larger weapon (I really like the dual wielding greatswords stalkers), or if they were holding two different weapons.  The halberds those models are carrying look too short for the extra arm to be meaningfully helping.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:50 PM, Hoseman said:

It would be cool to have a huge massive beast. A big, rare and epic monster made all of bones like a giant skeleton or a massive Dragon or something that explodes our minds. Giant centipede, giant bug, giant crab or giant duck toy or a brutal teddy bear made of bones and freaking things 

The croco bones harvester is rather large, it could be all we got in the "massive" category

33 minutes ago, Sception said:

I actually kind of like that look, but would be better if the weapon side was either holding a larger weapon (I really like the dual wielding greatswords stalkers), or if they were holding two different weapons.  The halberds those models are carrying look too short for the extra arm to be meaningfully helping.

I like the shield and the 4 skulls' double handed sword (of the champion ?), could try some custom... and put more armors... i find the battlelines too beefy and the 4 arms dudes too skinny. More generaly, i am so far only 100% convinced by the mortarch (probably my new favorit mini) and the trebuchet. Cavalry guys are a bit too static... Hoping for ranged troops as well and waiting to see close up of the leaked stuff.

• Like 1

Personally I like it all, but my favorite that we've seen close ups of so far are the mortarch (of course) and the scythe wizard.  Too soon to say definitively on the potato images of the leaked stuff, but based on those images I'll also really love the bone mage, the cav hero, and the bishop in the walking chair.

What I'm probably going to end up doing is running old tomb kings stuff in a counts as fashion - tomb guard as the infantry, sscs as the catapult, etc, and replace old models with new ones bit by bit in the order of which ones I like the most.  Since we've seen multiple casters and know Arkhan at least is definitely part of this army, hopefully there will be a functional casty heavy build leaning on morghasts for the elites such that I can get the handful of smaller hero models that love and otherwise mostly use models I already have while I slowly add new stuff to my collection.

2 hours ago, Overread said:

hat said I think the twinarm swords and halberds make a kind of sense. They don't hold them like that all the time, instead that duel hand hold lets htem take a charge or make a charge with far more power behind the blade. Once you're into swinging and blocking and striking they use one hand then the other; able to swap between them with a light toss or grip and thus confuse and gain advantage over their opponent

And this made sense to you 🤔😉

I don't know exactly what I'm doing with my army yet, but I know for sure I won't refer to them by some silly appellation involving Necrons or Tyranids, and I won't be using TK models.

This is a brand new (and really cool!!!!) army deserving of a unique place in the AoS world and on my gaming table. I plan to treat it as such.

I just have to decide on two things: color scheme and which kidney to sell.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Souleater said:

Surely you just grab your can of Retributor Armour and have at it? 🙂

Warhammer Hero Aaron Woolums (year 1) a few years back primed a pile of his Khorne human scum with a can of Retributor.  He primed allot of stuff with it.  Everything came out great but at the local club we still give him ****** over it.

There might be - they've already got displays of Zombie Dragons and Royal Zombie Dragons. Sometimes its easier to have a speical version of the same unit when it shifts into another army so that each can be balanced within its own army rather than trying to shoe-horn a powerful unit in where it "doesn't fit" as such. Nagash would depend on if he's in the book or just featured on the back as part of the theme and feel of the book being a book of DEATH. 

13 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

These are axes, not halberds, no matter what GW calls them (the handle is too short to even classify them as polearms).

If it looks like Halberd, if it's called a Halberd - it is a Halberd. 

And where can someone find what lenght is appropriate to classify as polearm? And compared to what?

Also  those 4 armed guys look way higher and are probably way stronger than most common infantry in mortal realms. Which means they don't need the extra lenght to kill everything in their way, whille with strenght, lenght and leverage of 2 arms on one side they can hook mounted warriors off their mounts to then murder them on the ground.

Makes sense?

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, XReN said:

And where can someone find what lenght is appropriate to classify as polearm? And compared to what?

Also  those 4 armed guys look way higher and are probably way stronger than most common infantry in mortal realms. Which means they don't need the extra lenght to kill everything in their way, whille with strenght, lenght and leverage of 2 arms on one side they can hook mounted warriors off their mounts to then murder them on the ground.

Makes sense?

Just ask lord garmadon ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XReN said:

Makes sense?

Sorry if this sounds mean and offensive though it is not supposed to sound that way: Your defense was the standard fan defense. This means you know it‘s no halberd but you try to argument it to be one - you try to make a circle a triangle since you defend a wrong classification by GW due to being a fan (they‘re not god, they make mistakes and all they care about is your money).

a helbards is a long POLEARM, this is ofc dependent on the size of the wiedler. Compared to the reaper size this is no polearm. Also a halberd is a combination of axe and spear with a hook (~ 1.8m in height which is about as tall as the wieder) This is an axe (or beard axe) by definition.

Also just one definition that anyone can find:

9E68A5CB-6F7E-46F8-B735-AFBC931599BF.jpeg.506abc4a920026f7dae6487e0a70ecbb.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher

22 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Sorry if this sounds mean and offensive though it is not supposed to sound that way: Your defense was the standard fan defense. This means you know it‘s no halberd but you try to argument it to be one.

a helbards is a long POLEARM, this is ofc dependent on the size of the wieder. Compared to the reaper site this is no polearm. Also a halberd is a combination of axe and spear. This is an axe by definition.

Also just one definition that anyone can find:

snip

Mmmm

It has the spear tip, it's axe head is shaped as a halberd axe head and not as a common battleaxe head. It is also used with two hands, as a polearm. I haven't found any clear definition of what weapon qualifies as a pole weapon except that it has a pole.

thatsahalberd.png.3373d046c2f5a8d53ff83297400a7916.png

And here is a picture of this weapon, it perfectly matches description, that you provided, except for lenght which is immesurable, but I'm pretty sure that if we take an average Freeguild Joe and measure this weapon with him, this thing will pack required imaginable 5 Joe-feets

Edited by XReN
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Like I said a lot of weapons and parts get changed in scale for practicalities sake. Many weapons are many times thicker in the blade than they would be in real life because many blades at model scales would be so thin they'd either cast wrong or they'd snap before they'd even get off the sprue. The same is true for things like polearms, but the other way. Many are much shorter in length than they would be in reality so that you don't have to pack a massive case, most of which is just a long thin stick (again high chance of snapping). 

You also get variation - eg a 15mm game might use a more accurate polearm length; but at the same time its weaponsize is going to be many times thicker than normal. 

There's simply no need for Halberds to be as long for these guys as they would be for regular humans. The point is to be a threat while keeping the enemy far enough away so he can't hurt you (lets ignore that these kinds of weapons are best use in formations for now). Just because this guy is pretty tall it doesn't increase the enemys reach. ^^

It's prescriptivism vs descriptivism. As always when arguing about historical material culture (as in the 'definition' of a halberd is historical, not the, uh, giant bone dudes), prescriptivism is ahistorical bean-counting that spends more time on its own typologies/terminologies (which would be uttery alien to anyone who ever used a pole weapon) and fitting things into neat academic classes than actually thinking about the meaning of the object of study.

It's a halberd.

• Haha 1