Future Warbands

Null Field

Personally I hope not, at least not anytime soon. What I’d much rather see is more of these unsung heroes type units. I’d love it if GW followed up with another set down the road (next year if another large starter set involved) which focuses on a different GA with auxiliary card packs for the other GAs like they did here. For example an Order focused version with mortals of the different realms (including intermixed races like IG and SF) then you could get card packs for some of the AoS Chaos factions. Or a Destruction focused version with new races (Destruction Gors would suit me fine).

Another nice expansion idea would be to ditch the overall GA focus and have a series of expansions (or seasons) focused instead on specific realms. 0 “starter sets”, 1-2 “ravaged lands”, 1 (per GA) auxiliary card pack for AoS factions, and 2 new warbands per GA.

• Like 6

I like that @Lior'Lec. I also think that the non Chaos warbands were included later and that the original size of the game was intended to be much smaller. Therefore I'd like to see some additional Chaos warbands including different races as sub faction characters. For example, 2 "enslavers" with 5 Greenskins for each. Something to give them different flair from the other warbands and an own unique style.

Even though I like all the stuff in the Grand Alliances, the other non Chaos warbands just don't feel really fitting to me, except for Gloomspite Gitz, who had a reasonable/believable background story. What I miss as an additional Chaos warband though, is a group of Skaven.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Even though I like all the stuff in the Grand Alliances, the other non Chaos warbands just don't feel really fitting to me, except for Gloomspite Gitz, who had a reasonable/believable background story. What I miss as an additional Chaos warband though, is a group of Skaven.

I think the skaven range is too old for Warcry, model wise. If you look at the Gitz for example it was only new plastic kits that made it in. I would hope that Warcry wave 2 will bring a new warband box of clan Esian in the style of the other chaos warbands. Or maybe one of the clans who are mentioned in the battle tome but aren’t powerful enough to have there own units. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Null Field said:

I really want Warband cards for the original Age of Sigmar starter set Stormcast and Goretide. Bloodreavers, Bloodwarriors, Liberators, Retributors and so on.

Do you think its a possibility?

Do I think we'll see a Khorne warband somewhere down the line? Yes but units will probably be limited to reavers, warriors, flesh hounds and maybe the possibility of bloodletters. In fact I could see a warband for each god as well as one for beastmen and skaven both of which hopefully having updated/new warcry specific models, I could see the Skaven release being Eshin based as I think they would fit nicely into the setting.

Stormcast probably won't include Liberators and Retributors as it seems like the narrative for the Stormcast is that it's specifically the Vanguard chamber that's infiltrated the Eight-points. So I think we could see Palladors at some point in the future but nothing outside of that chamber other than maybe Prosecutors since they can fly. Whatever expansions they've got planed won't be for a while though.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1

I really dont' know what to expect from GW in terms of future Warbands. If they intend Warcry to be the "Killteam of AoS" then in theory we shouldn't see too many unique models appear at all. Because the idea is that we should be able to take our warbands from Warcry into AoS and build actual armies. Now functionality wise It's almost split in two.

Regular factions have warband rules but often require you to buy several boxes to get unit variety, esp to get a leader and troops. So whilst they do let you get a box and play; a decent warparty is going to require several boxes - a bit more push there than there is in Killteam standard.

Warcry boxed sets have variety baked into them so a single box gives yo ua wide variety of unit types. This mostly encourages players toward those purchases. This is a downside because it means more people are being encouraged into a single army - Slaves to Darkness. 

I also wonder how GW will expand it; clearly there's potential to add more unit roster types from the various factions; but with some armies beign very limited on diversity there's a bit of a cap there. In addition if they add too many warbands it could bloat the Slaves to Darkness range insanely into so many subfaction forces that it becomes uneconomical to update or preserve. 

What might be nice to see is Mortal follower bands for demon armies. So a Slaanesh, Nurgle, Tzeentch (not Khorne you've got enough darn it) parties much like the warbands we have now. I could also see GW using WArcry to introduce more unit types into the core game for other forces; perhaps a neat way to bolster popularity of them whilst also expanding the main game.

My biggest hope is that Warcry and AoS retain a VERY tight association in models. Underworlds is great, but the models are not tightly bound to the game in the same way; the teams are neat in AoS but they don't blend into it perfectly or fit with the general themes like the warcry bands do.

Edited by Overread
  • Like 1

Whenever Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen get released, I'd like to see them receive a warband. Call it "Champions of the Everchosen" or something along those lines. It would feature primarily the Chaos Warriors (and maybe new plastic Chosen 😃), possibly Chaos Knights  and maybe the chaos warhounds or some new beastie to rival Gryph Hounds. This is essentially what the chaos warbands in Warcry are fighting to become, so it could show growth of your warband.

Plus, StD could also serve as a third-player like the beasts currently do. They patrol the roads across the Allpoints so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to want to put down any rift-raft or invaders they come across. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

Whenever Slaves to Darkness/Everchosen get released, I'd like to see them receive a warband. Call it "Champions of the Everchosen" or something along those lines. It would feature primarily the Chaos Warriors (and maybe new plastic Chosen 😃), possibly Chaos Knights  and maybe the chaos warhounds or some new beastie to rival Gryph Hounds. This is essentially what the chaos warbands in Warcry are fighting to become, so it could show growth of your warband.

Plus, StD could also serve as a third-player like the beasts currently do. They patrol the roads across the Allpoints so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to want to put down any rift-raft or invaders they come across. 

I think the already announced Spire Tyrants could be something like this. Archaons gladiator champions who sort out the weak from the other warbands. 
 On another note, every current chaos warband is a Slaves to Darkness warband.

I figure the Spire Tyrants could be a similar body design to Untamed Beasts, but with a focus on having more gladiator style weapons and armour rather than bone weapons. I'd also figure that as the slot for "glass canon brute" (untamed beasts) and "Tanky brute" (Golems) are taken the Spire might be a bit like stormcast. Big, powerful but expensive and thus few in number. Perhaps even going to the extremes of having one or three big dudes and then lots of very very cheap fodder. 

- Support for a lot of the smaller factions, even if it's just a White Dwarf supplement. Things like Scourge Privateers and Gutbusters.

- Beasts of Chaos! They fit fine with the lore and have plenty of models that could work.

- KO seem easy enough to justify and it would be neat to have an all-shooting army, as long as they weren't too OP

- The ability to play Stormcast as anything but the chamber I never bought anything from

Personally I don't understand why the design team included so few warbands. Honestly they gave us the whole DOK range, an assortment of the Nighthuant range, the bulk of the IDK, Iron Jaws and Gitz ranges  all of which are relatively new. But they left out all the new and newish Chaos mortals and models i.e Kairic Acolytes, Tzaangors, Blood Warriors, Blood Reavers, and Blight Kings. Not to mention leaving out *all* the daemons. These are frankly low hanging fruit (and smaller number of all of them are available via Underworlds). So in the very least I expect rules for *all* of the above chaos minis plus skaven. I'll also eat my hat if they don't add Fyreslayers (or KO) and Sylvaneth soon.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zedatkinszed said:

Personally I don't understand why the design team included so few warbands. Honestly they gave us the whole DOK range, an assortment of the Nighthuant range, the bulk of the IDK, Iron Jaws and Gitz ranges  all of which are relatively new. But they left out all the new and newish Chaos mortals and models i.e Kairic Acolytes, Tzaangors, Blood Warriors, Blood Reavers, and Blight Kings. Not to mention leaving out *all* the daemons. These are frankly low hanging fruit (and smaller number of all of them are available via Underworlds). So in the very least I expect rules for *all* of the above chaos minis plus skaven. I'll also eat my hat if they don't add Fyreslayers (or KO) and Sylvaneth soon.

Because if they gave you everything now, you’d still be unhappy.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

Because if they gave you everything now, you’d still be unhappy.

Hold on, I'm not unhappy. Quite the contrary. I just don't understand the design decision. I like the game (heck I bought 2 of the warbands as well as the starter kit), I'm not a disgruntled customer in anyway. 

However, with Kill Team there was a clear pathway that everyone could see whereby certain units from all (or almost of the) armies were usable in that system. Warcry has the potential to match Kill Team's success. But we have whole swaths of the AOS community with new battletomes are locked out (i.e Sylvaneth, KO, Beastmen and Fyreslayers) while others (ppl like me who play LON, Nighthaunt, and DOK) are in. It just seems rather random which army was in and which wasn't.

We also have a weird position whereby once GW opened it up to groups beyond the 8 warbands why not open it to preexisting Chaos units (and even if they wanted to stay way from allowing other mortal chaos units they could have let Tzaangors or Skavens or Gors or Daemons play).  I just seems to me the more factions you allow in, the bigger the potential gaming base and the bigger the potential long-term profit.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

We also have a weird position whereby once GW opened it up to groups beyond the 8 warbands why not open it to preexisting Chaos units (and even if they wanted to stay way from allowing other mortal chaos units they could have let Tzaangors or Skavens or Gors or Daemons play).  I just seems to me the more factions you allow in, the bigger the potential gaming base and the bigger the potential long-term profit.

Unless they’re intentionally waiting to release these in expansion formats. We could see a “Ruinous Powers” release down the road which brings in either the demon or mortal followers of the four main gods. A “Primal Chaos” expansion which brings in non human forces such as Beasts of Chaos and Skaven. “Mortals of the Realms” which brings in Order based mortals from each realm... ok so the last one is wishlisting but you see my point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

Unless they’re intentionally waiting to release these in expansion formats. We could see a “Ruinous Powers” release down the road which brings in either the demon or mortal followers of the four main gods. A “Primal Chaos” expansion which brings in non human forces such as Beasts of Chaos and Skaven. “Mortals of the Realms” which brings in Order based mortals from each realm... ok so the last one is wishlisting but you see my point.

I like the way you think! I’m picturing expansions like « Blight City » with skaven clans fighting in their underworlds, « Realmswalkers » with trade expeditions from various free cities or « wild reaches » with destruction tribes of humans, orruks, ogors, gits... of course each one with dedicated kits, starter box and campaigns lol

• Thanks 1

I would straight up love a Skaven clan for Warcry. Even if it's just Clan Verminus stuff.

Rat Ogre as your big beater. Stormvermin as elite. Clanrats as cheap ******.  Gutter Runners as fast guys. Chieftan, Warlock and Assassin as characters. You could even maybe see like, a super low ranking Grey Seers or something.

Skaven fit perfectly into this.

Double: (Any) Scurry Away: This model many leave combat as if it were not engaged. It gains +2 movement for this turn.

Double : (Any) Strength in Numbers:  If this model deals damage to an enemy with a melee weapon, add +1 damage per Skaven model also engaging this turn.

Triple: (Warlock) Warp Lightning: On a double, deal 2D6 damage to any target in range equal to this ability. This model suffers half damage dealt.

Or something like that.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...