General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

Realmgates are generally shown to link to specific points, so each Gate has its mirror other half in another Realm and they link together. Thus when forces want to invade another realm they have to secure specific gates from the realm they are in into that target realm.

The Eightpoints was the resolution to travel originally since it had gates to all of the realms and in itself was a small pocket realm. Acting as a bridge so that you could go through it to any one of the other Realms. Which is why chaos holds onto it so strongly, from there they can strike at any other realm. 

Of course they still have to breach the specific gate that the Eightpoint gate is connected too. 
There do seem to be a lot of gates around, some bigger than others. Some are well documented and major pathways; others are almost like private waygates and small slips between the realms. 

Then you've got Skaven smashing their own gnawholes into realms all over the place in a messy fashion. Though thus far only Skaven can navigate the warp mad tunnels and they are not "stable" gates like regular Realmgate tunnels. 

• Thanks 1

If I may chime in, while most realmgates are a link between two locations, there are some that can link to multiple destinations, where it leads to at any given moment can depend on various factors. 

Unfortunately I can't quite remember where I read this, but I know there is a Free City whose realm gate switches between a few realms, Azyr being one of them. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Artobans Ghost said:

I tried to research the festermere gate and found it was a path that lead an architect and his builders into Ghyran who actually worked for Tzeentch. It doesn’t say from what realm. 
I guess it’s just easier to make one up but I liked that name and location.  
thanks for the input @Overread

That sounds like Hyish or Chamon, but that's totally guesswork.

5 hours ago, Realmhead said:

If I may chime in, while most realmgates are a link between two locations, there are some that can link to multiple destinations, where it leads to at any given moment can depend on various factors. 

Unfortunately I can't quite remember where I read this, but I know there is a Free City whose realm gate switches between a few realms, Azyr being one of them. 

It may be my description of my city, I liked the concept of my city having an unstable realmgate.

Just now, Artobans Ghost said:

I tried to research the festermere gate and found it was a path that lead an architect and his builders into Ghyran who actually worked for Tzeentch. It doesn’t say from what realm. 

It leads to Azyr, it was opened in the Age of Hope where artisans from the realm of heaven came pouring out to build the new cities in Seeds of Hope.

So not a direct path to Hysh but you can always make a "celestial tram" service your city's Azyr nobility exclusively booked with their connections so your people have a indirect route by Azyrheim privately ferrying light spreading Hyshites to you while your city higher ups enjoy the privilege of the shining paradise islands and solar seas for their exotic & eldritch catches.

Another route is bribing the Idoneth Deepkin there to allow your city to use their underwater portals they used to escape the realm of light. Could make an interesting arrangement on how your city meets their deals so you have exclusive passage to Hysh and magic resources Greywater would invest in.

Just now, Realmhead said:

Indeed, a major one is the Silver Way in the realm of metal made by duardin in the Age of Myth. It can build pathways to any realm.

Justifying your city to have one by say hiring skilled duardin architects(for a crippling price) or one acquired from a opened Stormvault and hidden from Azyrite eyes would be fun twists.

• LOVE IT! 1

Double post but a lot of stuff I wanted to show.

First, belated Happy Easter sketch from the Lofnir Lodge I did because I loved the Mortal Realms egg art. :D

dduone6-dea76584-2206-4534-abe7-ffeddfee

Then "Da Skybasha" custom Kharadron army was finished:

Continuing the realm of metal, you don't get more metal than this:

Meet Goaty Iommi, lead guitarist for the band Black Shaggoth⁠—known for such hits as "Iron Golem", "War Squigs" and "Nagash is Dead?". Coming to you live from the Realm of Metal! \m/ "

EVUz7yyU8AMuhfk?format=jpg&name=large

And finally Corthaen native arctic magma  Ogor of the realm of fire:

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 4

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

It leads to Azyr, it was opened in the Age of Hope where artisans from the realm of heaven came pouring out to build the new cities in Seeds of Hope.

So not a direct path to Hysh but you can always make a "celestial tram" service your city's Azyr nobility exclusively booked with their connections so your people have a indirect route by Azyrheim privately ferrying light spreading Hyshites to you while your city higher ups enjoy the privilege of the shining paradise islands and solar seas for their exotic & eldritch catches.

Another route is bribing the Idoneth Deepkin there to allow your city to use their underwater portals they used to escape the realm of light. Could make an interesting arrangement on how your city meets their deals so you have exclusive passage to Hysh and magic resources Greywater would invest in.

Indeed, a major one is the Silver Way in the realm of metal made by duardin in the Age of Myth. It can build pathways to any realm.

Justifying your city to have one by say hiring skilled duardin architects(for a crippling price) or one acquired from a opened Stormvault and hidden from Azyrite eyes would be fun twists.

That’s awesome Baron! Great ideas all. I really like that idoneth spin. As it’s a port city this works really well. My son has been pushing me on the idoneth as well. I think I’m sold. 
Great to hear from you! Every time I think of you, I can’t help thinking about that chick with the hypothermia and your recovery skills 😺

Alright, this isolation is driving me nuts. So I decided to 3D model an entire derelict and half-conquered dwarven underground city. A lot like Moria mixed with Goblin town. I also want to add an very high bridge which can be accessed via a teleport portal.

🤔

and it‘ll all be made for 3D printing ofc 

• Like 4

That's certainly a way to beat the isolation madness. Best of luck on that big project. :D

Just now, Artobans Ghost said:

That’s awesome Baron! Great ideas all. I really like that idoneth spin. As it’s a port city this works really well. My son has been pushing me on the idoneth as well. I think I’m sold. 
Great to hear from you! Every time I think of you, I can’t help thinking about that chick with the hypothermia and your recovery skills

Great to hear! It's also very nice to see your friendly conversations again, it's certainly been a while. xD

Here's hoping the best of fortune to you and yours, stay safe!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Alright, this isolation is driving me nuts. So I decided to 3D model an entire derelict and half-conquered dwarven underground city. A lot like Moria mixed with Goblin town. I also want to add an very high bridge which can be accessed via a teleport portal.

🤔

and it‘ll all be made for 3D printing ofc 

Sounds amazing. I'll look forwards to seeing the results!

Not for the first time, any and all lust to hobby has completely gone. It had gone before the lockdown but the last five weeks, which one might have imagined would be incredibly conducive to hobby, have instead just seen me glance from time to time at my Chaos Warriors and paints, then shrug and say, "not today". It's really depressing me, and I wasn't a bundle of sunshine to begin with.

4 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Not for the first time, any and all lust to hobby has completely gone. It had gone before the lockdown but the last five weeks, which one might have imagined would be incredibly conducive to hobby, have instead just seen me glance from time to time at my Chaos Warriors and paints, then shrug and say, "not today". It's really depressing me, and I wasn't a bundle of sunshine to begin with.

Might not be the most helpful answer... but if you don’t enjoy the hobby... what’s the point of doing it. 

it supposed to be fun. Do something else you do find fun. Or at least don’t beat yourself up for not wanting to paint right now. 

There are a bunch of tips and things that might help spark some fun. From a palette cleanser model, or whatever.

But if it helps. These past weeks haven’t helped me at all. More time isn’t very conductive for me either. I get passive and unproductive. Low pressure follows low energy for me. 

The fact that I now have time, and planned, some games with the misses does. Planning games always gives me hobby mojo. A deadline works wonders for me. 

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

Is it the hobby, or general depression/anxiety?

Being in lockdown has me on edge quite a percentage of the time. Whenever I want to do hobby stuff, I feel guilty that I'm not doing something else. It doesn't matter which hobby.

@Kirjava13 it sounds trite but really don't beat yourself up about it. we're all going through something fairly unprecedented right now and whilst there are people who are obviously being extra ****** over by this, even if you're riding this whole thing out in relative peace and comfort and you're not dealing with ill family or money issues (and you may well be) just the uncertainty and unease will effect people in myriad ways.

I think at the start of this there was (and I'd say still is) this feeling amongst some people of 'oh wow, I've suddenly got all this free time, I'm going to write the novel I always said I would! paint all the models I've owned for years! come up with an equation that squares the fundamental physical properties of the universe!' etc etc.

and whilst some people will do some of the above and thrive, a lot of us (especially people like myself and I'm guessing possibly yourself who deal with depression day in and day out) just end up using that as a stick to beat themselves up with. very quickly I started getting down on myself, why haven't I learnt a new language? why haven't I painted those models? why haven't I done x, y and z? I really am a terrible person etc etc.

it's all made worse because we're all over social media and we see those people who are using this time to paint models, write books etc, but a lot of them were doing it anyway and also they're presenting a particular image of themselves that they want, we don't see that they spent 5 hours that day trying to get their kids to just shut up for five seconds, or they haven't changed clothes for a week or whatever.

I genuinely had hoped to paint loads of models, I've been trying to get a fanzine off the ground, write some RPGs, finish a couple of short stories and over the past couple of weeks I've felt this dread gnawing away at a corner of me that lockdown will end, when I re-emerge blinking into the daylight everyone will have achieved some kind of apotheosis and raised themselves up to new heights and I'll be there with nothing to show for it, except more recriminations and reasons to have a go at myself. 

but, that is years of ingrained mental conditioning on my part and I just have to recognise that behaviour for what it is and then I can side-step it.

I've managed one model this whole time (though that's 1 more than I had in the 4 months previous to that so actually nice work John!) but much as it can be a relaxing past time it also can be weirdly stressful, acknowledge that, acknowledge that there's a perfectly good reason you may not have the mental energy to paint right now. one person's escape can be another's chore.

but what is good is there are loads of other ways to engage with this hobby, catch up on some reading, just mess around with some solo games, or even just put it to. one side for a moment. if it's not sparking joy right now maybe it isn't the right time. 

I still want to achieve lots, that's just how my brain works, but I can also lean into those things that I know, for me, are tried and tested to keep my mental health, well healthy. so exercise, I've knocked 4 ****** minutes off my 10km the past 6 weeks (42:27 boom! not bad for an old man), really got my daily yoga practice back on track, taking time to cook lots of things that I've always wanted, just stuff to get me back on an even keel.

now I feel I've got through an initial slump and I'm back writing, some Black Library authors have organised a Fanthology over on Twitter and I've submitted a few pitches for that. I'm also about to do a massive clear our and tidy up of my study/hobby space, once that's done I'll find some easy models to paint and get a start on them. it's just like a muscle if you haven't used it for a while you need to warm it up, start gently and then find the groove.

but maybe it will be something completely different. maybe you just catch up on some old films or books, or you leisurely get your accounts together rather than rush it later in the year, don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself right now, find what works for you and do that, maybe it's something completely random and different. 

anyway I'm certainly not a therapist, it would save me a hell of a lot of money visiting them if I was, so obviously take all this with a pinch but I think really it's about reframing things, if your unpainted or whatever models are actually adding to your issues then box them up, put them away for now and come back to them when you're ready rather than trying to face the issue and you end up hating the hobby.

Sorry I've quacked on at length (which I suspect tells me the intended audience for this post is probably as much myself as you) but honestly don't beat yourself up, we're living in crazy times. we think these things like hobbies are there to help us they must always be great but when they don't work for you, you really dont need to cling on to them. DON'T TURN SCAFFOLDS INTO BARS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Kirjava13 as has been said, don’t beat yourself up about it. I’ve read a comment somewhere recently that went something like « do you NEED to do this and that, or do you WANT to? »

Sometimes we have to remember that the hobby is not a job and we’re not supposed to be stressed about painting little plastic toys. So take care of you and your people, and at some point you’ll assuredly feel excited about it again :)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

For the first 3 weeks of lockdown I did zero hobby. I had a nagging feeling that I 'should' be doing it, but just didn't have the motivation. I stopped worrying about it, did other stuff I enjoy, and then one day earlier this week I just had the itch to pick up a paintbrush. I'm now fully in gear and working through my backlog, and enjoying it. So try just letting it go for a while, do something else, and see if inspiration strikes when you're not pushing for it. 

I've not been in the hobby for long but one thing I do know about myself from other pursuits is that as soon as something feels like a chore it kills all the joy.

Edited by Sputnik
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, michu said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/21/gaming-as-storytellinggw-homepage-post-2/ 

Some really nice advices for narrative gaming. 

If you like that. Find the miniwargaming podcast and the episodes on this subject. 
mits about 4 episodes on narrative campaigns. This article is basically the first podcast in written form. And mich shorter. 

edit: the link to episode 1: https://podcasts.apple.com/nl/podcast/miniwargamings-podcast/id1451329159?i=1000450256347

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1