The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, NotBeastmanBob said:

Do we think we will get all new updated Spearhead boxes upon launch/into the 4th? Or just a simple reboxing of the current Vanguards?

It is a rebox right now. You can buy a few of them right now

4 minutes ago, NotBeastmanBob said:

Do we think we will get all new updated Spearhead boxes upon launch/into the 4th? Or just a simple reboxing of the current Vanguards?

I think only reboxing now, and even that will take a while to roll out.
Then the boxes could be updated when each respective faction gets it's 4.0 battletome.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NotBeastmanBob said:

In 40k there were rules for the original combat patrols at first, then with the new codexes the factions got new combat patrols. 

I would expect a reboxing, and new ones when the releases roll out.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Yet more Spearhead information, this time about Battle Tactics and Commands.

I'm a little surprised spearhead has battle tactics given its supposed to be an onboarding thing. Tactics seem like an easy thing to leave out for starter games.

That said it seems fine? I really don't like the 40k system. I've only played a couple games but I still haven't wrapped my head around it completely, although thats more 40k's rules writing being frustratingly obtuse at times for no reason as it is the complexity. From a design standpoint I'm not a fan of requiring extra peripherals like decks of cards.

6 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Why does Spearhead get the more interesting Battle Tactic system?

Its less competitive by virtue of being random It is more interesting though. I'd probably take the spearhead BT system anyway though since I really dislike the core BT system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

Don't you feel like Spearhead is starting to steep in Warcry's toes? Maybe the rumour about a Mordheim like game is true in the end.

Not really. Squad based games (like aos) and skirmish games (like warcry) have a vastly different feel when you actually play them.

1 hour ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Love them but weird they did use any of the masked version on any of them for the promotional group photo

I know we have them

It is odd but not entirely unprecedented. The Solar Auxilia veterans have the option to carry a great axe instead of a gun and for some reason that doesn’t appear in any of the promotional material (except the sprue photos).

Could be a quirk of what the ‘eavy metal  crew gets around to painting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Don't you feel like Spearhead is starting to steep in Warcry's toes? Maybe the rumour about a Mordheim like game is true in the end.

It is Open Play 2.0. Mordheim rumours are like Battlefleet rumours.

Posted (edited)

Hrm.  I like the look of it.  Like, I don't know if it will make for good or balanced games, but at the very least it seems interesting to play.

I had high hopes but very low expectations for spearhead, but I find myself getting more excited.  Even so, Warcry will still probably end up being the better game system for that board size.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Why does Spearhead get the more interesting Battle Tactic system?

Yes, I was pretty meh after the first Spearhead article, but this is very interesting. Seems a lot more interesting than the battle tactics for AoS main. I am doing a 180° with my thoughts about Spearhead.

Will the Spearhead's based on the current boxes still be playable once the "proper" Spearhead for a faction comes out during 4oS? And therefore will there be a choice of Spearheads for a faction?

Anything from 40K which would mean we can answer this?

4 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

Not even a bit. 

I agree, but if Spearhead actual delivers it could be competition for Warcry. The same board size and I assume the same time needed to finish a game.

Posted (edited)

Also, based on what we know from 40K will the loadouts from the Spearhead be from the box/marketing pictures? Specifically I'm wondering if in the Sylvaneth Spearhead will have Kurnoth Hunters be armed with the bows?

Edited by EntMan

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

I agree, but if Spearhead actual delivers it could be competition for Warcry. The same board size and I assume the same time needed to finish a game.

And the cards are similar also.

Spearhead is looking good. 

Might be my go-to way of playing. 

Could even do a small tournament with a few friends and NOT have to reserve a whole weekend for it.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Will the Spearhead's based on the current boxes still be playable once the "proper" Spearhead for a faction comes out during 4oS? And therefore will there be a choice of Spearheads for a faction?

Anything from 40K which would mean we can answer this?

Yes. They stay.

While it is obviously still early in the edition not a single "combat patrol" has lost its rules/validity. Space marines have several (two generic and one for each of the big subfactions). 

This might change once GW decides to change the contents of/ stop selling a specific combat patrol but that has not happened yet.

Edit: small correction for clarity 

Edited by Koala
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

I'm a little surprised spearhead has battle tactics given its supposed to be an onboarding thing. Tactics seem like an easy thing to leave out for starter games.

That said it seems fine? I really don't like the 40k system. I've only played a couple games but I still haven't wrapped my head around it completely, although thats more 40k's rules writing being frustratingly obtuse at times for no reason as it is the complexity. From a design standpoint I'm not a fan of requiring extra peripherals like decks of cards.

Its less competitive by virtue of being random It is more interesting though. I'd probably take the spearhead BT system anyway though since I really dislike the core BT system.

I am guessing they want people to learn or familiarize about secondary and battle tactic scoring at lower casual level. It probably because it was harder thing for people remembering to do in regular game last edition, I know I often had to remind my opponent to choice a battle tactic sometime.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

33 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Not to be a negative nancy, but as my FLGS' resident "teacher of newbies" for  40k/AOS/TOW I just don't see much value in Spearhead or Combat Patrol. I have found it just easier to teach them the entire game. Teaching a variant of the main game that they later have to unlearn just seems like a waste of time. 

And I don't see why people with limited time and room wouldn't just play Warcry/KT since its designed from the ground up for that purpose. Low points of sigmar has never worked properly. 

Maybe it has value for isolated groups without someone to teach them, or players with extremely limited budgets. But I just do not see any kind of material player base for Combat Patrol and I foresee Spearhead going the same way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Not to be a negative nancy, but as my FLGS' resident "teacher of newbies" for  40k/AOS/TOW I just don't see much value in Spearhead or Combat Patrol. I have found it just easier to teach them the entire game. Teaching a variant of the main game that they later have to unlearn just seems like a waste of time. 

And I don't see why people with limited time and room wouldn't just play Warcry/KT since its designed from the ground up for that purpose. Low points of sigmar has never worked properly. 

Maybe it has value for isolated groups without someone to teach them, or players with extremely limited budgets. But I just do not see any kind of material player base for Combat Patrol and I foresee Spearhead going the same way. 

Supposively each spearhead is balance with each other and less need for list building which prevent some abuse. The mechanics are to be representative of Proper AoS mechanic so it not a completely different game.

the problem at least with Warcry (beside needing additional stuff like terrain, unit and rule cards) is that it not really an entry point for AoS and more or an independent system.

Edited by novakai

Funnily enough, I think that Combat Patrol and Spearhead systems appeal more to older veteran players who have money and know the game, but just don't want to invest several hours into playing a game and the potential huge amount of time and effort collecting a faction can become.

I like the idea of being able to buy a single box as a hobby project and be able to play a game with the results without any other purchases. It gives me the ability to get a flavour of a particular faction before deciding if I want to invest more time/effort and money in to the faction. 

I have bought 3 different 40k Combat patrols for factions that I have always fancied but never really wanted to open the can of worms that collecting a faction can become. These were fun "one-and-done" projects that were contained and manageable. 

There are several other people I know in their 30's and 40's that just have a lot going on in their lives and for each of them to be able to pick a faction, buy a box, build/paint it in a reasonable time and all be able to play with and against each other in a quick evening session is very appealing. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3