The Rumour Thread

I Can’t believe it’s Easter Saturday and they’ve not shown anything about a New Grombrindal. 

The two are in no way linked and we have 0 confirmation or even a rumour about a White Dwarf model but I still can’t believe it. 

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Peacaf said:

It exceeds 200 people on Twitter and is clearly in favor of the double turn.

An interesting theory I saw pop up is that asking AoS players about the double turn will always come out in favor of it since you know they are already playing the game with it lol.

Would be a lot more interesting to see a poll of players who don't play AoS and the reason why. A better way to see if the double turn is a dead weight or you know people still mad at them killing Fantasy all those years ago.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

An interesting theory I saw pop up is that asking AoS players about the double turn will always come out in favor of it since you know they are already playing the game with it lol.

Would be a lot more interesting to see a poll of players who don't play AoS and the reason why. A better way to see if the double turn is a dead weight or you know people still mad at them killing Fantasy all those years ago.

A lot of people who don't like aos do not even know the double turn exists or any of the rules I'd wager

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Haha, indeed. I give you an internet cookie. 😉

Brilliant move from GW 😉 

200 people are numbers that many tournaments dream of.

And yes, bravo for GW that the double turn is more relevant than Lethal Hits and other overpriced abilities.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I Can’t believe it’s Easter Saturday and they’ve not shown anything about a New Grombrindal. 

The two are in no way linked and we have 0 confirmation or even a rumour about a White Dwarf model but I still can’t believe it.

I thought that Dwarfs/Duardins are given at birth by eggs yet. I am disappointed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Well we got the resign Lord Celestant and the same exact as the previous just missing the arch & hammer cape  Stormcastsigrun.jpg.6003e2d9e0b348636c41788bc47b7221.jpg

There is still a chance of it being updated. Although Liberators had the same design in the game and the 4th edition trailer, the prosecutors in Age of Ruin still had the old design, but had a newer one in the trailer. That being said the Lord Celestant is one of the few fatcast that I do really like so hapy for it to stay as it is.

In fact now that I think about it we still had that Stormcast sword in the ruin engine that looked the same as those wielded by the vigilors and nobody in the trailer had swords like that so we still have swordcast to come. Ngl it would be nice to have some similar to the Duellist from Warcry with dual swords.

Edited by Vaellas
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Gaball Slaaneshi said:

I thought that Dwarfs/Duardins are given at birth by eggs yet. I am disappointed.

“And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women, and that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lore thoughts. In AoS 1.0 we saw the Nurgle invasion of Ghyran. Nurgle has never been fully pushed out of Ghyran since. 

Do we think there's a chance of Blight City being pushed back to its pocket dimension or will Skaven now have a permanent spot in the Realms at the Great Parch? 

I think either way it works our will be good for future stories. However I feel like Skaven would be awful if defending their home from any sort of attack. 

Also when Nagash reforms if Blight City is still in the realm, I know the first thing he's doing.

5 minutes ago, DinoJon said:

Lore thoughts. In AoS 1.0 we saw the Nurgle invasion of Ghyran. Nurgle has never been fully pushed out of Ghyran since. 

Do we think there's a chance of Blight City being pushed back to its pocket dimension or will Skaven now have a permanent spot in the Realms at the Great Parch? 

I think either way it works our will be good for future stories. However I feel like Skaven would be awful if defending their home from any sort of attack. 

Also when Nagash reforms if Blight City is still in the realm, I know the first thing he's doing.

God I hope the end of 4th involves Nagash command grabbing Skreech Verminking or another sufficiently important Verminlord through the biggest Skaven belltower in the realms before Hand of Dusting him. It would be nice to see Nagash get a no-holds-barred win for once and god knows the quotes we’d get would be excellent. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sarouan said:

Mordheim isn't difficult to learn, but it has a lot of clunky mechanisms that come from the fact it was a mere adaptation of Warhammer Battle rules to a more skirmish level - even so Battle was made for mass battle games. That's why there are a lot of weirdness in its core rules, and for example why armors are completely useless in the game (critical hits tend to completely nullify them, and if it's not, it's the save modifiers from weapons / strength that are way too easy and common to have...saves were already way too low from the start, anyway). If you knew the edition of Battle from that time, it was actually very familiar and easy to move from one to another...and that was the intent, IMHO.

Warcry isn't at all the "anti Mordheim". If you read its background, it's actually quite grim. Surrounding is hostile, death is at every corner and there's a heavy hint on the futility of these bands' actions in the way most of them die in the dark with their dreams of glory and riches unfulfilled.

But the difference with Mordheim is that Warcry's campaign rules don't translate very well that, because they're meant to be balanced and less frustrating than Mordheim. Wounds are in most cases temporary, death of one of your miniatures in campaign mode is rarer and, in most time, quite without real consequences (you replace the lost guy much more easily, and the "progress" system is so light that it doesn't really matter if you lose an "experienced fighter".

On the other hand, Mordheim campaign rules are cruelly random, it's easy to completely mess your band because of a few bad rolls and the way you gain money to recruit / equip more guys punishes you really hard if you actually play the scenario to the end (ie fight to the last model). Basically, if you lose a Mordheim game, you tend to get punished in the campaign phase because if your heroes were out of action during the game, well guess what, they're also your only money makers - so they give you no money. It leads to stupid situations like routing voluntarily as soon as you lost the minimal numbers of fighters and keep your heroes away from action so that they can search optimally for wyrdstone in the exploration phase.

In Warcry, you care not for your models because they have no depth. In Mordheim, you better care not for your models because they die / get crippled to the point of being useless easily (even your warband, before you simply make a new one from scratch). I'm not sure Mordheim is really that narrative friendly on that matter, TBH (I mean, if you get unlucky with some wounds rolls / got your band heroes wiped out and you just restart your band because it's otherwise unplayable, it's not really narrative driven either).

And I said that as a Mordheim player, who started from the very first day it released to still nowadays, 25 years later. ;) I'm just very aware of Mordheim's flaws, what it is and what it is not. And I certainly don't paint a lovelier picture of it because of nostalgia's bias. I'm not demeaning Mordheim players at all...I'm just amused at how some people tend to believe Mordheim is way better than it actually is / was (mostly those people don't play anymore or certainly not the core rules without heavy "patches" / fanmade rules to make the rules better, which is not my case).

The truth is that Mordheim was a bad skirmish game even when It was released. Mordheim have a few competitors and all were better on system gameplay or balanced games, even Necromunda from the same company was way better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

The truth is that Mordheim was a bad skirmish game even when It was released. Mordheim have a few competitors and all were better on system gameplay or balanced games, even Necromunda from the same company was way better.

Strange as there's a fair whack of people that'd say mordheim is one of the best rule sets

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 01rtb01 said:

Strange as there's a fair whack of people that'd say mordheim is one of the best rule sets

The choice of Fantasy as a combat system was silly and unbalanced. At that time games like Necromunda or Confrontation were alive and more balanced, deeper and satisfactory.

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Thanks 1

I have never played Mordheim, but it sounds like a game that a few people loved very much and havent really found a replacement for.

I loved whfb 8th edition and 40k 8th edition. Seems like i have to stick around for AoS 8th edition. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

God I hope the end of 4th involves Nagash command grabbing Skreech Verminking or another sufficiently important Verminlord through the biggest Skaven belltower in the realms before Hand of Dusting him. It would be nice to see Nagash get a no-holds-barred win for once and god knows the quotes we’d get would be excellent. 

I don't think GW has it in them to give Nagash any wins 😂

But yes that would be epic, it would be nice for GW to treat their antagonists as something more than Saturday morning cartoon villains, not sure they realise it but making them a genuine threat - rather than just telling us "this person is really dangerous we promise" - tends to make the victories of the protagonists feel more earned and therefore weighty. Nagash should be so epic and dangerous but he kinda comes across as bumbling and incompetant in how he is written, which is an absolute waste, "Oh he fought a "good guy, guess who pulled a victory out of thin air despite being obviously outmached", "Oh he fought Archaon, got bodied", "Oh look he forgot about the Skaven again, guess who ruined his latest super-ritual he spent a century preparing?".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

I swear, if Nagash gets upset about the Ruination chamber and makes yet another pyramidal WMD that gets countered by some Skaven hi-jinks I'm gonna roll my eyes so hard they detach and roll out of my skull 😅.

I want Nagash to just get fed up with and start absolutely beating the hell out of them by hand out of spite. “I cast ‘These Hands’. You cannot unbind them.” 

• Like 1

I would be overjoyed if Nagash actually started getting some solid wins for once. He's always seemed like bit of punching bag for a while now and on the occasions he does get some wins they're quickly overshadowed by his defeat. Would be incredibly satisfying if he was the one to come in and ruin the Skavens plans for once.

It would be cool to have Arkhan return this edition as well, maybe with a new model.

8 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Mordheim is the living proof that a game doesn't need to be balanced or have "good rules" to be played and loved.

It's funny you mention Necromunda, because the version before Mordheim was exactly the same situation : using rules of 40k edition as its core mechanisms. It wasn't that balanced as well with experienced gangs vs less experienced ones.

15 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Mordheim is the living proof that a game doesn't need to be balanced or have "good rules" to be played and loved.

It's funny you mention Necromunda, because the version before Mordheim was exactly the same situation : using rules of 40k edition as its core mechanisms. It wasn't that balanced as well with experienced gangs vs less experienced ones.

But 40k 2ed was almost a skirmish game. If you played, 40k was a bad game, so complicated and plenty of rules that doesn't make any sense. The 2ed ruleset was perfect for a game like Necromunda but really bad for a big game.

Edited by Nezzhil

8 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Last year we ran a Mordheim campaign at my club. The problem we had was not about balance (we policed ourselves a lot) but about the incentives structure about the game: consequences are brutal so you don't want to risk your leaders (I *could* charge jumping down a building but why would I??) + "winning" a scenario is not that beneficial compared to just surviving it, so basically our games were just a little scrap among our henchmen until one side had the option to withdraw and inevitably took it.

The parts before and after the games were the best part of our experience, so ultimately most people lost interest in actually playing.

• Like 1