The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, Burf said:

I don't think Deathrattle or Nighthaunt or Soulblight are going to be getting a full update, though they may recieve some ancillary crossover units.

It sounds like the 4 "leader" allegiances are the factions everyone has been hoping for that mix and match existing death stuff, so I think they will see some crossover. It is interesting that they specifically callout soulblight as having rules in the new book since they were in the GHB2017. I wonder what they could have done there that's so different?

It's possible they will update the current models for soulblight, considering most of them are ugly metal pieces that don't really belong in Age of Sigmar. I mean, just look at the dire bats and the bat swarms or the price for the ugly Blood Knights... Soulblight getting updated models just makes sense.

EDIT: Oh and I feel Soulbight is definitely inside of Mannfred's Allegiance while we are it.

Edited by smucreo

4 minutes ago, Killax said:

It's always up to yourself to get a book or not. I have no clue where the idea comes from that this book will have no new units in it. If anything it will have a great slew of Allegiance abilities which per definition is a great boost.

As before MP focusses on Death, this book, if anything will be a massive bundle to finally adress many issues that are there for a large part of Grand Allegiance Death. I deem it extremely likely it is paired with new releases.

If you had bothered to read the press release, you'd know that it was heavily implied that this book wouldn't have new models. (Every model in the death range...so far+ showing off custodes AND spoiling skyfires in 40k but only having the book.) It doesn't absolutely preclude new releases but pretending like it's not the more likely position based on available evidence is silly.

New Soulblight models would be pretty sweet. I've started a little bit of Soulblight as allies for my Nighthaunt and have taken a liking to them and would like to build out a full army. When I was down at my FLGS last night, I was very close to having them order me some dragon blades to base my blood knight conversion on, but at the last minute I decided to get some moonclan grots instead. So waking up to this new information makes me glad I did, I guess Nagash was looking out for me and changed my mind.

2 minutes ago, Burf said:

If you had bothered to read the press release, you'd know that it was heavily implied that this book wouldn't have new models. (Every model in the death range...so far+ showing off custodes AND spoiling skyfires in 40k but only having the book.) It doesn't absolutely preclude new releases but pretending like it's not the more likely position based on available evidence is silly.

I bet you where one of those clock-mad guys too.

I'm out of this topic, it's hilarious how some react to this.

10 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

No. I do play Death, and have played Death since it was Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts. Your tone, needs some work.

My point was that if new units are coming soon, those should be in a book that is also coming soon. That would make the most sense.

The hopeful half of me also thinks that there is NO way GW would focus on Soulblight like this, when there  are only two different units which are available in store, the rest being website only.

I think we are looking at two very different kinds of soon.

Legions of Nagash is "right around the corner" soon. It seems to have all the support to play Death as it is right now. It comes first to make GA:Death, basically, playable at all in the current enviroment, so people have reason to go into Malign Portents with a Death army at all.

Meanwhile, it is likely new models are in the "sometime this year" soon cathegory, by all we know. That they do not come with LoN tells us that they likely come as part of one or more traditional release wave for AoS, meaning a bundle of miniatures and battletome for a specific faction within GA:Death.

Another way to put it: LoN sets a framework for GA:Death that all GA:Death players will need (since the current one does not really work), then later releases can "slot" into this framework, but the release itself will likely fokus on using them standalone or with a more narrow line (depending on wether they are something entirely new or an update for, most likely, Deathrattle).

5 minutes ago, Burf said:

I highly doubt any new models are coming with this book. The NEXT book is likely to have a maggotkin+ size release of an entirely new faction.

I don't think Deathrattle or Nighthaunt or Soulblight are going to be getting a full update, though they may recieve some ancillary crossover units.

I think we can rule out Soulblight, since it is stated they get an Update to their GHB 2017 allegiance in LoN. Nighthaunt are unlikely this year as well, having got GHB 2017 support. I think GW did not expect them to catch as much attention as they did (I think they may be the most popular standalone for Death).

However, Deathrattle seem to persistently portrayed as the most common kind of Undead in AoS so far, both as the backbone (pun intended) of combined forces and as standalone forces of Sepulchral Kingdoms throughout the Realms. It would be odd to keep them in their current state and personally I feel they are the best candidate for a first "proper" Death release (and I do not just say this because I collect them). Also, GW had a lot of rather iconic designs on Skeletons throughout its history, which is something they really like to play with in AoS.

I think we will see Deathrattle and one entirely new thing this year. Though maybe its two entirely new releases minus Deathrattle or just one release instead.

Later on I expect some developement for Nighthaunt as they offer huge design space, have a very interesting background with the various Underworlds, are very popular as said, and are a real power according to lore, one even Nagash is careful in dealing with. New Vampires and Zombies one dayare likely as well (though not necessarily Soulblight Vampires and Corpsewalker Zombies, as they are to iconic to ignore, and an update to FEC one day as well (possibly spearheaded by Ushoran himself?). But all that is stuff I expect GW has only started developing at best, so well over 2 two years in the future at least.

One thing is certain, this year will bring new stuff for Death, wether during Malign Portents or after it. But I suspect thereafter its another draught for deathplayers, as GW propably wants to get new Aelves, Slaanesh and some more Destruction out of they way to sort of "complete" a basic roster of original to AoS factions.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

It sounds like the 4 "leader" allegiances are the factions everyone has been hoping for that mix and match existing death stuff, so I think they will see some crossover. It is interesting that they specifically callout soulblight as having rules in the new book since they were in the GHB2017. I wonder what they could have done there that's so different?

Give them Spell lores is what comes to my mind. Maybe specific commander skills and artefacts for bloodlines as well. Maybe they even give the bloodlines a role in the Warscrolls (like marks are used for Slaves to Darkness)

I can't imagine that LoN will not have new mini's / units. That would be imo terrible and unbelievable. A whole 2018 campaign with a focus on Death vs the rest without a single new Death miniature except the knight of shroud. Nope I can't believe that.

The rumour is that GW is  improving / improved their production capacity. Thus more than before. So I except lots of new miniatures this year for AoS and 40K, more than 2017. So hopefully this means plastic blood knights, new zombies and a couple of new units and characters for Death!

2 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I can't imagine that LoN will not have new mini's / units. That would be imo terrible and unbelievable. A whole 2018 campaign with a focus on Death vs the rest without a single new Death miniature except the knight of shroud. Nope I can't believe that.

The rumour is that GW is  improving / improved their production capacity. Thus more than before. So I except lots of new miniatures this year for AoS and 40K, more than 2017. So hopefully this means plastic blood knights, new zombies and a couple of new units and characters for Death!

It is described as "the start of a huge year for Death". Fokus on start. This is not the be all end all of all AoS Death ever, but just the basis for whatever is coming for Death in 2018.

And when did GW ever release a book alongside a release wave of miniatures, without announcing any of the the miniatures first? I sure can not remember any instance of that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

It is described as "the start of a huge year for Death". Fokus on start. This is not the be all end all of all AoS Death ever, but just the basis for whatever is coming for Death in 2018.

And when did GW ever release a book alongside a release wave of miniatures, without announcing any of the the miniatures first? I sure can not remember any instance of that.

Maybe, but it would imo be a bit strange to release a huge Death Battletome and than after a couple months release new Death mini's that aren't mentioned in the book.. . It's seems more logical that if there would be any new Death miniatures / units that they are in the Death Battletome, no?

Edit: But you are indeed correct:

This year promises to be a huge one for Death players, and we’re getting things started with Legions of Nagash, a new battletome with not one – but SIX! – allegiances within.

So new mini's will come in one way or another, but maybe not in the Battletome: LoN.

Edited by Tonhel

19 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Maybe, but it would imo be a bit strange to release a huge Death Battletome and than after a couple months release new Death mini's that aren't mentioned in the book.. . It's seems more logical that if there would be any new Death miniatures that they are in Death Battletome, no?

Unless LoN represents Death at the start of Malign Portents and the new units only emerge as a part of the developing storyline, which is how the Realmgate Wars handled this sort of thing at times.

And then there is the matter of real world logistics. The only other option would be for to drop this book and all new Death stuff for 2018 at the same time. Them not doing it like this heavily implies that would propably be a bit too much to handle. And that should be good news for Death players, since it further implies that indeed a lot is coming.

But in the end, all we can say with some certainty is that new releases seem to still be quite a bit further beyond the horizon (quite possibly we are looking at nothing before Q2). I would be happier if GW would go out just say so openly and I think that sort of transparency would be in their own interest in the long run, since otherwhise every announcement for Death and Malign Portents will be viewed in the light of "But where are the miniatures?". But even with the "new way", that is just not how GW does things (possibly, again, due to logistics).

Edited by Rogue Explorator
typo fixed
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

And then there is the matter of real world logistics. The only other option would be for to drop this book and all new Death stuff for 2018 at the same time. Them not doing it like this heavily implies that would propably be a bit too much to handle. And that should be good news for Death players, since it further implies that indeed a lot is coming

I would assume that this is the case. That it is going to be a very big year for Death releases. Too much to release at one time.

• Like 2

GW have never published a full projection of their releases for the year as far back as I can remember. 

To be honest it's in their interest to do so. I wouldn't have bought Necromunda or my last batch of Tzeentch stuff if I'd known about new Nurgle on the horizon. As it is I'll probably buy the Nurgle stuff anyway.

There's no incentive for them to let hobbyists make decisions on the basis of informed forward planning rather than "oooh shiny!" 

• Like 2

The thing is, I just don't think they're going to expand the current allegainces in the way people are thinking, I think LoN is meant to amalgam everything current together into a single flexible spot and then from that point on everything else will be totally new factions that will draw from the old stuff. 

Basically the idea is Death will (possibly) work like the different flavors of space marine in 40k. You'll have codex marines with multiple chapter tactics that provide the basis for the 'abberant chapters'. This is the LoN book. Then you'll have a number of factions that share a lot of core units with Codex marines (LoN) but also have their own unique units (like blood angels)

So for example, a shambling hordes book will come out with a bunch of totally new kits, but also uses stuff from deathrattle and...whatever the zombie umbrella is.

Then after that you'll get ghoulish visions book that has it's radical new stuff but also mortis engines and spirit hosts. Then you'll get unholy constructs with morghasts and terrorgheists etc.

• Like 3

People have been comparing the Mortarch allegiance abilities to those of the Cities in Firestorm. This seems pretty sensible; having clutches of different factions united by a theme associated with that Mortarch.

Although I hope we get Abhorash/Blood Dragon and Ushoran/Carrion King allegiances eventually. I suppose the good point about Mortarch-based allegiances are that there's much more obvious room for expansions at future dates that don't involve having to invent entirely new forms of undead monster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AGPO said:

GW have never published a full projection of their releases for the year as far back as I can remember. 

To be honest it's in their interest to do so. I wouldn't have bought Necromunda or my last batch of Tzeentch stuff if I'd known about new Nurgle on the horizon. As it is I'll probably buy the Nurgle stuff anyway.

There's no incentive for them to let hobbyists make decisions on the basis of informed forward planning rather than "oooh shiny!" 

And absolutely nobody here asked for a full projection of the year at all.

They could not stick even close to one, due to the flexible way their scheduling works anyway.

However, the status and circumstances of the current releases could use some more communication and transparency. Even if, in the current example, it is just a short "no, this release does not include new miniatures, yes we know you are waiting for them".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rogue Explorator said:

However, the status and circumstances of the current releases could use some more communication and transparency. Even if, in the current example, it is just a short "no, this release does not include new miniatures, yes we know you are waiting for them".

I agree. But it seems that with their production issues, GW have a very ... disturbed release schedule (like why was MP and Death Guard teased sooo long in advances, to then takes ages to get released like the Myphitic Blight-Haulers for DG ?

Anyway, GW now wants to releases more infos, but is stretching the thing a little bit ; Seven days of Nurgle, then MP, the WHW Open days, the preview seminar at the LV open end January, then a new MP countdown reveal in February (with some Shadespire), then the AOS open day in March....

Yet it seems that the majority of the big releases is scheduled for this summer and not before....

WHW Open Days_Jan.26-28.2018.png

• Like 1

I just want to say that I am incredibly stoked for this book. I was afraid that the next Death release would be a new standalone death faction that didn't really work with the old models and that the old models would remain relatively unplayable. Even if this book features no new models, it's a huge boon to those of us who are already invested in Death. I'm really hoping that they will go back and change some warscrolls and not just tweak points. It would set a nice precedent if they were to do this. New spell lores will be nice but I think warscroll changes are likely needed to actually make death competitive.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Anyone have any idea when the legion of nagash book will arrive. Hoping soon but not sure if they would release to AOS books back to back 

They announced it along side two 40k codexs and those thing have been going out back to back pretty quickly, so I'm guessing the first one of t hose could go up for preorder this month, so it's not out outside the realm of possibility that the new battle tome will happen equally as soon. The only other date we have on the AoS side right now is the Feb 17th that went out in the email after the count down. Not sure if we know what's happening then(maybe another date and it's a russian nesting doll of countdowns?) so it could be the battletome date, but it would seem odd to give a date, then announce the tome, then have it come out on that date without linking them together from the get go(but then maybe GW's marketing and releases teams are exactly the sharpest bulbs in the drawer). My guess it that the 17th is going to be the bit of information, but probably nothing big despite teasing the date, probaby just another incremental trickle like the Jan 4th "reveal" was. But given that timeline, I think the new Battletome will go on sale or preorder by the 17th.

4 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I just want to say that I am incredibly stoked for this book. I was afraid that the next Death release would be a new standalone death faction that didn't really work with the old models and that the old models would remain relatively unplayable. Even if this book features no new models, it's a huge boon to those of us who are already invested in Death. I'm really hoping that they will go back and change some warscrolls and not just tweak points. It would set a nice precedent if they were to do this. New spell lores will be nice but I think warscroll changes are likely needed to actually make death competitive.

I think we're in for some changes to warscrolls, at least some tweaks. There've been some for Nurgle, so I'd assume death would get some, especially to work with new allegiances and abilities.