The Rumour Thread

Just now, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Seems strange to me that Cities are that high. As far as I could tell, they only really started performing around the start of the new year, but even then I did not get the impression that they are literally the top tournament faction of the game.

I found this interesting:

"Ironjawz, Kruleboyz, Sylvaneth, Coalesced Seraphon, and Slaves to Darkness are all slightly trailing, so the studio have them earmarked for possible future changes."

I wonder what that means. I don't think there will be another Battlescroll between now and 4th ed.

It’s not really surprising, they’ve still got plenty of tricks up their sleeves and enough warscroll that at least a few things are probably pretty strong. I’m surprised the Bonereapers didn’t take more of a hit, but then again, other Legions were already creeping in before the nerfs to Null Myriad who offer less polarizing benefits than a spell shrug. 

10 minutes ago, Glutos said:

This looks pretty good ib my eyes, only one faction in the red!

and the weirdest thing about this is that, just when the game is at its most balanced*, we're just about to hit the big RESET button

*according to the targets set by GW itself

On 3/6/2024 at 4:57 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

Yup as well as get people going to local stores 'just in case' theres any in stock. 

Problem is when brought at local GW's, is that stores have targets to meet each month. Whilst the store manager might pull a face if somebody brought all of this, they would still allow it so they hit their targets. It's totally annoying wherever the person buying it, is doing it for profit or to help out other gamers but from a store point of view they will look the other way. Warhammer World may be different though.

Yup. Very curious if the Darkoath would have been shown off or they were something that was going to be shown over next few weeks. Makes you wonder if showing them off early means we are getting a 4th edition reveal and they will devote more time to it?

Intelligence suggests this is the way.

GW is not always intelligent. They have done duplicate reveals of the same thing before, if memory serves.

16 minutes ago, Vagard said:

Releasing caracters that played a role in books or series is great, create rules for them is event better ! turning them into an umplayable pile of rules was not necessary. Of course I am not forced to play them, that's not a reason to not complain about. It's the same as if i'm complaining about a army and you say to me "well, there is many other armies to play". Minis are part of a whole game (please don't tell me to change game) 

I think calling the special units 'umplayable pile of rules' is a little bit dramatic. AoS is a complex game. If you can get your head around the core rules and army rules, a couple of extra units do not make such a massive difference. You're free to complain about anything you want, of course. Just as I am free to see it as not a problem to star with, let alone worth complaining about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Grungnisson said:

I think calling the special units 'umplayable pile of rules' is a little bit dramatic. AoS is a complex game. If you can get your head around the core rules and army rules, a couple of extra units do not make such a massive difference. You're free to complain about anything you want, of course. Just as I am free to see it as not a problem to star with, let alone worth complaining about.

The intend of AoS is not to be a complex game. It became complex of the warscroll limitations and the need  to find a way to add immersion to all those 3+/3+ (2 or D3 damage) foot heroes and other units.

I love special characters, certainly when they have beautiful mini's, as is the case with Blacktalons, the saviours and that Darkoath group. The problem is how the rules are done. I am hoping they found a solution for it with 4th.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

I think calling the special units 'umplayable pile of rules' is a little bit dramatic.

I played AoS since early V2 and never seen such a complicated unit. This is new so we have to deal with and of course it is "just 1 unit" but we get 3 of them in a short timespan. Hope it will not be as frequent as warcry units (which are great for most of them by the way). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vagard said:

I played AoS since early V2 and never seen such a complicated unit. This is new so we have to deal with and of course it is "just 1 unit" but we get 3 of them in a short timespan. Hope it will not be as frequent as warcry units (which are great for most of them by the way). 

I think Katakros was worse- 4 models that disappeared at certain brackets, each one having unique abilities and then Katakros himself, as well as each having different weapons. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

I think Katakros was worse- 4 models that disappeared at certain brackets, each one having unique abilities and then Katakros himself, as well as each having different weapons. 

At least it is only one miniature with one warscroll, you just have to look at the damage table to see whats left 

Edited by Vagard

30 minutes ago, Ragest said:

That has more imagination than the 4chan leak.

I know this is a joke but I think we would see a very different picture if we broke it down by subfaction. Perhaps this needs to be the focus of attention going forward. Seraphon is the classic example who are both over and under performing simultaneously. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:37 PM, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Living in the US, there are pitifully few GW stores and it’s common to live hours away from the closest one to you. The exclusive miniatures do not drive positive engagement, only frustration. I’m confident many other countries are similar.

Last I checked there were almost 150 GW stores in the US, more than any other country in the world including the UK, and whilst I get the US is a very big place in terms of overall area, store anniversaries are advertised well in advance, are also around the same time for each location every year and last for around a week. So it shouldn't be difficult to plan a trip to coincide with visiting that location for that week and then if need be arrange a trip back there a month or so later to collect anything that wasn't in stock and was made to order.

And exclusive items for games do drive positive engagement, that's why almost every successful games company does them to one extent or another. Most of the GW ones are just alternate sculpts so you're not losing out on any actual game play options unlike how some other games do theirs and they do incentivize people going to events and stores to get them. Frankly for every person getting frustrated about them there's a few hundred who get excited and work out if they can go to an event where they're available and thousands more that simply don't care.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sigmarusvult said:

I‘ve heard the contrary, one last battlescroll before 4th Ed.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Lol, when?! We literally got one and we have 3 months left before 4th.

I would love if they put out one final battlescroll that defines what the "historical" version of 3rd ed is. You know, what 3rd ed is after all battletomes are updated and independently from any seasonal rules, as a common framework for people who want to go back to the edition in the future.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

Last I checked there were almost 150 GW stores in the US, more than any other country in the world including the UK, and whilst I get the US is a very big place in terms of overall area, store anniversaries are advertised well in advance, are also around the same time for each location every year and last for around a week. So it shouldn't be difficult to plan a trip to coincide with visiting that location for that week and then if need be arrange a trip back there a month or so later to collect anything that wasn't in stock and was made to order.

And exclusive items for games do drive positive engagement, that's why almost every successful games company does them to one extent or another. Most of the GW ones are just alternate sculpts so you're not losing out on any actual game play options unlike how some other games do theirs and they do incentivize people going to events and stores to get them. Frankly for every person getting frustrated about them there's a few hundred who get excited and work out if they can go to an event where they're available and thousands more that simply don't care.

That’s 1 GamesWorkshop store per 25,396.8333 square miles. 150 sounds like a lot but that’s 3 per state, and in some states it’s legitimately faster and easier to cross the border than reach your nearest one stateside. That’s not exactly a thing you can spontaneously do. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

That’s 1 GamesWorkshop store per 25,396.8333 square miles. 150 sounds like a lot but that’s 3 per state, and in some states it’s legitimately faster and easier to cross the border than reach your nearest one stateside. That’s not exactly a thing you can spontaneously do. 

This isnt really how that works. Those stores are located in populated areas. I get that the US is a big place but 150 stores are a lot of stores imho.

Edit: Also understand that its no fun if its still a few hours away.

The concept is weird to grasp for a european. I can go to the UK and back within the time some US people go to 1 store and back within the same state and i dont even live in the UK.

Edit 2: dont actually know what this adds to the conversation, sorry XD

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would love if they put out one final battlescroll that defines what the "historical" version of 3rd ed is. You know, what 3rd ed is after all battletomes are updated and independently from any seasonal rules, as a common framework for people who want to go back to the edition in the future.

That's a pretty nice idea. Indeed. Just in time to send CoS to the bottom xD

Edited by Ejecutor

8 hours ago, Chikout said:

I wonder who the lead designer on the range is. There are quite a few Skaven fans in the studio. 

For example these Jezzails were converted by Maxime Pastourel who was the lead designer on the Death guard project after painting his own Death guard army. skaven.jpg.2e0563bae59275a4f7871dde3eac74ef.jpg

It's pretty common for GW to give the design job to someone who's a fan of the faction.  Steve Party designed some of the new Seraphon after converting his own army and Darren Latham, who is a massive Eldar fan, designed the new Avatar. 

I could definitely see Maxime leading the project because he designed the Skaven Blood Bowl team. And he's mostly doing AoS projects, like Warcry bands and the Maw-Grunta. 

(Also based if you follow the blog dé kouzes)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I could definitely see Maxime leading the project because he designed the Skaven Blood Bowl team. And he's mostly doing AoS projects, like Warcry bands and the Maw-Grunta. 

(Also based if you follow the blog dé kouzes)

Is there a list of GW artists? Havent seen any names in a while, would like to see who designed what and maybe follow them somewhere else

• Like 1