The Rumour Thread

33 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Makes me think they will follow the 40k system and just get rid of the magic phase altogether. Think even Old World got rid of the spell phase.

Units can still use spells, but they will be split up between all the other phases. Feels like they are pushing that way since so many new units getting amazing spells on the cards themselves.

Sort of insane that they would get rid of endless spells lol.

I hope not, what they did to psychic powers in 10th edition 40K is so bad it's tragic.  The TOW system looks a little more reasonable, at least.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, madmac said:

I hope not, what they did to psychic powers in 10th edition 40K is so bad it's tragic.  The TOW system looks a little more reasonable, at least.

I expect they won't do ToW system in aos 4th(spell cards) the reason we don't have them anymore for mainline games is due to printing and language accessibility iirc. I think there's a way wizards and priests could feel cool and flavourful without having their own phase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

It's very easy to imagine too. They already did a Temple Ship, but a battle for a Magmahold, Silver Tower, Skyport, Fungal Asylum, Chorrelium, etc. would all be very flavourful and great for some less generic gaming tables.

I'm still waiting for them to take Warcry inside the actual temple ship :( regardless if that brought new Seraphon or not. it would be cool to have "urban" combat rules

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Luperci said:

I expect they won't do ToW system in aos 4th(spell cards) the reason we don't have them anymore for mainline games is due to printing and language accessibility iirc. I think there's a way wizards and priests could feel cool and flavourful without having their own phase.

Maybe, but I really need to emphasize that the 40K approach is really, unbelievably terribad. If they implement that system or something like it in AoS I will actually drop the game, I'm not kidding. Just to give an example, I happen to have a small Votann army.

In 9th edition I have one psyker choice, who has some nice flavor abilities, letting his little robot buddies assist him with using psy powers, a good warscroll ability, a nice selection of racial disciplines to choose from, good stuff.

In 10th edition, that one model has a shooting attack that's worse than just carrying a gun, an attachment ability like any other hero type has, and the ability to negate battleshock on the unit he's attached to 1/battle. That's it, that's literally it he just has a single crappy 1/battle ability as the only thing pointing to him being supposedly a model with psychic powers.

There are some factions that did better and have slightly more interesting "psychic" abilities, but just barely. You could simply remove psykers from the game entirely and it would change things only very slightly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beliman said:

J. Hewitt talked about how GW doesn't throw anything away. Instead, they store all this stuff in their sacred vaults. Maybe,the spider incarnate can be repurposed/retooled to be part of something new? Time will tell.

It’s an interesting one, they do have all their old unreleased minis floating around, though tbh it’s more the FW stuff that is actually known about semi-publicly, less so main GW stuff.

The only example of a truly repurposed mini I can think of was the FW chaos dwarfs K’Daai Destroyer. Had the misfortune to be nearly finished (or maybe done and awaiting a release slot) around the AoS launch. Ended up being resculpted somewhat and released as Skaarac the great khorgoroth. Skaarac’s background even said it might be a rogue chaos dwarf creation, amusingly enough.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, madmac said:

Maybe, but I really need to emphasize that the 40K approach is really, unbelievably terribad. If they implement that system or something like it in AoS I will actually drop the game, I'm not kidding. Just to give an example, I happen to have a small Votann army.

In 9th edition I have one psyker choice, who has some nice flavor abilities, letting his little robot buddies assist him with using psy powers, a good warscroll ability, a nice selection of racial disciplines to choose from, good stuff.

In 10th edition, that one model has a shooting attack that's worse than just carrying a gun, an attachment ability like any other hero type has, and the ability to negate battleshock on the unit he's attached to 1/battle. That's it, that's literally it he just has a single crappy 1/battle ability as the only thing pointing to him being supposedly a model with psychic powers.

There are some factions that did better and have slightly more interesting "psychic" abilities, but just barely. You could simply remove psykers from the game entirely and it would change things only very slightly.

I think Votann is a bad example of just................. well I guess everything lol. That faction is broken in pretty much every way. All their heroes pretty much have some weird ability or interaction that makes no sense. Their only named hero is easily in the top 5 worst units in the game. And I know because I play them....... I also play Tau so I never had a magic phase either version lol.

One of my last AoS games was Cities vs. tzeentch and that was a slog. 1 mage vs. like 7 is pretty boring on both sides so I can see how GW may want to change that phase.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

I think Votann is a bad example of just................. well I guess everything lol. That faction is broken in pretty much every way. All their heroes pretty much have some weird ability or interaction that makes no sense. Their only named hero is easily in the top 5 worst units in the game. And I know because I play them....... I also play Tau so I never had a magic phase either version lol.

One of my last AoS games was Cities vs. tzeentch and that was a slog. 1 mage vs. like 7 is pretty boring on both sides so I can see how GW may want to change that phase.

Spreading out the magic phase like TOW did is one thing, not having a magic system at all like 10E is another thing altogether.

I like the hero phase pretty much as-is.  Endless spells cost points so they don't need to go away.  I think they should be able to be dispelled by enemy wizards on the just the casting roll rather than beating the casting roll however, and maybe if you roll the exact casting roll without beating it, you can have a wiz-off on a D6.

AoS needs to be a different game than 40k.  

• Like 3

I wouldn’t be surprised if the spider incarnate is shelved for something else later.

Between Brexit & Covid it probably missed it’s release window when we were still close to the Crawling Pits(underground place part of the fallen spider-Grot empire filled with giant spiders) still mainly in Gnarlwoods next to those pits & especially underground in Gallet and it’s bug filled caverns.

And now we’re heading out of Thondia with the edition on the horizon about to fling us out of Ghur focus.

They probably planned on an Incarnate per season to up interests and flesh out each Realm per edition but that plan got skewed with all the global problems.

Pity but far from the first case of cut content. Hopefully whatever it REincarnates into is useful to a faction and they bounce back.

(on the Endless Spell front I’m 100% for them. They give factions much more flexibility and are easily some of GW’s best kit boxes full of great figures for both living spells rampaging on the eldritch Realmscapes and great kitbash bits for stuff like new Mega-Gargant weapons 💕)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

Just now, Baron Klatz said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the spider incarnate is shelved for something else later.

Between Brexit & Covid it probably missed it’s release window when we were still close to the Crawling Pits(underground place part of the fallen spider-Grot empire filled with giant spiders) when we were still mainly in Gnarlwoods & especially underground in Gallet and it’s big filled caverns.

And now we’re heading out of Thondia with the edition on the horizon about to fling us out of Ghur focus.

They probably planned on an Incarnate per season to up interests and flesh out the Realm per edition but that plan got skewed with all the global problems.

Pity but far from the first case of cut content. Hopefully whatever it REincarnates into is useful to a faction and they bounce back.

(on the Endless Spell front I’m 100% for them. They give factions much more flexibility and are easily some of GW’s best kit boxes full of great figures for both living spells rampaging on the eldritch Realmscapes and great kitbash bits for stuff like new Mega-Gargant weapons 💕)

As a Fyreslayer player alone I have to stand up for endless spells/prayers, it really adds a cool unique touch to the army that they wouldn't have otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, madmac said:

As a Fyreslayer player alone I have to stand up for endless spells/prayers, it really adds a cool unique touch to the army that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Bwoi they could have added another unit or lava creature instead of invocations. 😛

2 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Bwoi they could have added another unit or lava creature instead of invocations. 😛

They practically did with the Molten Infernoth,

I could see that being remade into an actual Fyreslayer unit at some point.

A good middle ground they could go to keep the spirit of Endless Spells/Invocations active if they are looking to take a hit is a Destruction Elementals faction lots of people have been wanting(and indeed we thought was happening when Endless Spells were first teased in Malign Portents leaks)

All living spells, neutral daemons, spirits and realm manifestations as active units in their own army but like Sons of Behemat can “merc” themselves out to other grand alliances and summoned in by wizards & priests.

25 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Another unit would be nice, but it's not the same as being able to summon a wall, an artillery piece or an attacking endless spell effect, those are things you don't tend to get from just regular boring old prayers.

• Like 2

I love Endless Spells. Having actual models to represent them bounding around the battlefield is one of those unique touches that makes AoS feel different to it's contemporaries and perfectly suits the 'Bigger and Badder' tone and visuals of the setting. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I could see that being remade into an actual Fyreslayer unit at some point.

Maybe that's a good take on endless spells/prayers and Incarnates. Just a new type of warscroll template that you can add abilities (like we already have for endless spells/players), stats and profiles (like the incarnate has)  that can be summoned.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

Please...I am starving.

A leak, just a small one...can save me.

Quick before it is too late. 

We will have skaven re released one day. They will have new models and a new BT.
sorry can's say more I dont want my source get under the risk
Hope this will help you😀

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I love Endless Spells. Having actual models to represent them bounding around the battlefield is one of those unique touches that makes AoS feel different to it's contemporaries and perfectly suits the 'Bigger and Badder' tone and visuals of the setting. 

I do wish more factions would continue to get endless spells/prayers as I agree with @Cynic that they are a unique and compelling feature to AoS. I know they can work on implementation and balance for them but they, at least to me, are really exciting to see on the board. 

Hey James Workshop! Give Seraphon priests back and give us endless prayers for Chotec, Itzl and Sotek. 

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I'm still waiting for them to take Warcry inside the actual temple ship :( regardless if that brought new Seraphon or not. it would be cool to have "urban" combat rules

I rather see tunnel wars (open play rules in the back of the corebook and seasons of war) fleshed out with a terrain box/game mode similar to boarding actions for 40k maybe 750 points instead of 500 for boarding actions.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flying_dutchman said:

I rather see tunnel wars (open play rules in the back of the corebook and seasons of war) fleshed out with a terrain box/game mode similar to boarding actions for 40k maybe 750 points instead of 500 for boarding actions.  

If it is not boarding actions, I am pretty sure we would have the combat patrols mode equivalence. Specially after the latest 40k hachette collectible.

Just now, Ejecutor said:

If it is not boarding actions, I am pretty sure we would have the combat patrols mode equivalence. Specially after the latest 40k hachette collectible.

Boarding actions and combat are separate though.  My store we already have vanguard leagues.  And I keep my soulreaper mini in my army box. (Only dude I don't use for my 2k list). Sure gw officially supporting it and maybe making multiple boxes would be nice plus the cleaner pruned rules of official combat patrol.  But if you really ask me I ratherer have a dedicated close quarters mode with real support rather than something I already do on my own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Someravella said:

From The Honest Wargamer today's stream:

- Snarlfang riders were intended for TOW  but ended up in AoS somehow.

- BoC are very likely to be removed from AoS at some point.

Wouldn't be shocked to see BoC removed. Struck me as odd that they were the only faction to be 100% compatible with both AoS and ToW rather than just on legacy ToW support. I wonder if a limited selection of units might get souped into other chaos AoS armies :(

• Thanks 1