The Rumour Thread

Yeah there’s explicit representation of Kragnos on some Kruleboys minis - the belcha banner, the scarification on the killaboss’s steed - but the shields are just in the fine old tradition of grotesque greenskin faces on shields, banners and other reliefs. A lot of their design language is developed from the old GW orc look, pre-Brian Nelson’s lantern-jawed overhaul. The Kragnos references are really a light touch on top of that.

In the background too, the Kruleboys are as much (more so, really) opportunistic followers of Kragnos than actual faithful worshippers. Even at its best, greenskin workshop is about bowing to who’s the biggest and mightiest, and the Kruleboys seem to be considerably more cynical about it and even consciously try to steer him (Gobsprakk is the best at this). They’re happy enough to emulate his face in some of their art but if another big alpha monster took his place, they’d probably just shrug and get on with it.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Luperci said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/04/how-age-of-sigmars-dominion-boxed-set-draws-on-40-years-of-warhammer-history/

I don't doubt that they could be inspired by Kragnos in part but they're also inspired by old whfb orc shields that have been around for years

In the battletome they said that they build their scare shield to look like kragnos and wear glyphe for worship 

19 minutes ago, EntMan said:

If I remember right they said some guff to the effect that the Kruleboys based their shields on Kragnos when they didn't know what he looked like!

They could literally say that about anyone lol. "They based their shields on Nagash/Malerion/Nuffles, when they didn't know what he looked like."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

This and a new edition on the horizon just make me think about how Kruelboyz were shot in the back of the head by the sheer incompetence of their rules writing. For 3 years they've struggled to be at all relevant, and I honestly forget they exist sometimes, despite having had a KB army when they first launched. That's just how few people collect/play them.

I think they're a prime example of the "do rules matter?" argument. And to no one's surprise, yeah, yeah they do. Let's hope the 4th ed launch turns out a little better for the new guys.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mutton said:

This and a new edition on the horizon just make me think about how Kruelboyz were shot in the back of the head by the sheer incompetence of their rules writing. For 3 years they've struggled to be at all relevant, and I honestly forget they exist sometimes, despite having had a KB army when they first launched. That's just how few people collect/play them.

I think they're a prime example of the "do rules matter?" argument. And to no one's surprise, yeah, yeah they do. Let's hope the 4th ed launch turns out a little better for the new guys.

I feel like this was the consensus on Nighthaunt until their latest Battletome. I think most completely new factions struggle because it takes time to get solid feel for their identity. Shoot a lot of the first edition armies didn’t really find their way till the third or fourth try. I expect Kruleboyz to find their way whenever they get their next rules release. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

I feel like this was the consensus on Nighthaunt until their latest Battletome. I think most completely new factions struggle because it takes time to get solid feel for their identity. Shoot a lot of the first edition armies didn’t really find their way till the third or fourth try. I expect Kruleboyz to find their way whenever they get their next rules release. 

And even after their 3rd Ed. book NH have not exactly been meta defining, sort of moved between average and underwhelming (think they have generally gone between a ~40-50%ish win rate), not that being average is an issue or that new armies have to be meta breakers.

It is interesting that armies introduced within an edition as opposed to the start of it often don't suffer from this, and more often than not seem to come in on the more powerful end of the spectrum - Lumineth and Bonereapers for example.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

And even after their 3rd Ed. book NH have not exactly been meta defining, sort of moved between average and underwhelming (think they have generally gone between a ~40-50%ish win rate), not that being average is an issue or that new armies have to be meta breakers.

It is interesting that armies introduced within an edition as opposed to the start of it often don't suffer from this, and more often than not seem to come in on the more powerful end of the spectrum - Lumineth and Bonereapers for example.

New edition hype might be enough to get people to buy into factions like KB and NH, whereas they try harder with the rules for others? Also battletome powercreep kicks in a little bit later on

1 hour ago, Jetlife said:

Shoot a lot of the first edition armies didn’t really find their way till the third or fourth try. I expect Kruleboyz to find their way whenever they get their next rules release. 

I'm not as optimistic with battletomes; each one is their own beast. They've had 3 shots at fixing Slaanesh and have failed every time. The only guarantees of AoS are that if you're an Order battletome, you'll probably be okay. GW rules writers love Order.

I don't think there are any answers for this, but I was curious if I missed any leaks or info regarding the Vanguard release for CoS? Will the Cities of Sigmar Vanguard release fall on the same day as the Flesh Eater Courts Army Box? This was the case with the Seraphon Vanguard and Cities of Sigmar Army set but that could have just been a coincidental release. 

Also do we have any clue if it will be like the Imperial Guard release with the same models shared between the Army box and Vanguard. If they were to change it up what differences might we see? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neverchosen said:

I don't think there are any answers for this, but I was curious if I missed any leaks or info regarding the Vanguard release for CoS? Will the Cities of Sigmar Vanguard release fall on the same day as the Flesh Eater Courts Army Box? This was the case with the Seraphon Vanguard and Cities of Sigmar Army set but that could have just been a coincidental release. 

Also do we have any clue if it will be like the Imperial Guard release with the same models shared between the Army box and Vanguard. If they were to change it up what differences might we see? 

No mentions about this yet :(

15 hours ago, EntMan said:

If I remember right they said some guff to the effect that the Kruleboys based their shields on Kragnos when they didn't know what he looked like!

If I remember correctly (I think I read that in the Soulbound Era of the Beast book), the Shamans predicted the coming of Kragnos because they stole those shards from Excelsis that give the power to foresee the future.

That said, I've also read (I don't remember where, though), that the shields are modelled after scary predators of the swamp.

13 hours ago, Jetlife said:

I agree: being one of the first armies of the edition is not convenient, for the sake of rules. For instance, KB are one of the few armies whose monsters do not have custom monster rampages...

Edited by Someravella
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

It would be a great excuse to use the ‘it’s the same picture’ meme. 🤔😀

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Someravella said:

I agree: being one of the first armies of the edition is not convenient, for the sake of rules. For instance, KB are one of the few armies whose monsters do not have custom monster rampages...

Makes me wonder what Skaven will miss out on next edition after being in the starter? But I'd still take range refresh over rules 😀🐀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EntMan said:

Makes me wonder what Skaven will miss out on next edition after being in the starter? But I'd still take range refresh over rules 😀🐀

Skavens have such a big range that I am pretty sure everyone would feel something is missing even after the refresh. What I am more curios about is to see if we get a big trim in terms of clans, or even if we move into more AoS new clans.

• LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Someravella said:

If I remember correctly (I think I read that in the Soulbound Era of the Beast book), the Shamans predicted the coming of Kragnos because they stole those shards from Excelsis that have the power to foresee the future.

That said, I've also read (I don't remember where, though), that the shields are modelled after scary predators of the swamp.

Ossiarch just got a new battletome (may) and we got no special rampage for our monster.

But then day 1 we got the rewriting of some things so that may not be the best written book.