The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Ferban said:

As someone (relatively) new to the hobby, I think the idea of pre-painted miniatures would be a net negative.  I think it would help sell some starter sets.  For sure.  But then I think it would be a barrier to the next step.  Novice painters aren't going to want to try their hand at painting minis if they are going to look like junk next to the pre-painted stuff they've already bought.  And most new painters are going to produce a few ugly minis (I know I did!).  

And I think a lot of people are scared to put paint on their minis at all at first.  And having a standard to compare it to would probably be daunting.  

Maybe if the prepainted stuff was relatively low quality (a few basecoats), then people could achieve that level easily and expand with washes, drybrushes, and other beginner friendly techniques.  But I think GW would get a lot of criticism for selling what might be considered low quality paint jobs. 

I say they keep it gray (or colored plastic maybe?) and leave the painting to the players. 

I don't like gws colored minis.  They feel ever so slight cheaper than the grey ones.

13 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I think they could do different tiers of generic heroes.

Basic hero 50 points 

Leader hero 75 points with slightly better statline

General hero 100 points best statline

Could also expand buff range with each of those. Just thinking out loud here.

What about going back to how whfb did thing with different points on artefacts etc

i loved the system where I could ‘build’ my hero

would also mean a greater variety of items get used as points would change what item you could take. Not so many auto choices 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I don't have a record to share, but I've been asking about him in my whatsapp groups since I posted his 1 day rules. The consensus is pretty positive. Even some of the biggest spanish youtubers use what he shares as source of truth. Something you woulnd't do if it is someone that could bring you trouble.

If this guy has a good track record than it seems likely he's either majorly misunderstanding something he's been told, or someone is lying to him.

For example, There may have been a one day meeting where the design team created a general outline and decided on major parts of the rules. That wouldn't mean the rules were designed in one day. It would only be a starting point for writing. But design meetings like this are common (I'm a game designer), and someone who doesn't know any better might hear this and misunderstand it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GhostShark said:

If this guy has a good track record than it seems likely he's either majorly misunderstanding something he's been told, or someone is lying to him.

For example, There may have been a one day meeting where the design team created a general outline and decided on major parts of the rules. That wouldn't mean the rules were designed in one day. It would only be a starting point for writing. But design meetings like this are common (I'm a game designer), and someone who doesn't know any better might hear this and misunderstand it.

Yeah there's no way they went from draft to finalized design in a single day. That would imply they never tested any of it or made any changes--which is just about impossible. Most consumers don't know the amount of work it takes to write mechanically sound and legible rules.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ferban said:

As someone (relatively) new to the hobby, I think the idea of pre-painted miniatures would be a net negative.  

You’re absolutely correct. Games that go from unpainted to pre-painted go bust. The best example is Starship Troopers. It had an acclaimed ruleset by Andy Chambers, fantastic multipart miniatures. And then to bring in new players they moved to prepainted models. And it instead killed off the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Yeah there's no way they went from draft to finalized design in a single day. That would imply they never tested any of it or made any changes--which is just about impossible. Most consumers don't know the amount of work it takes to write mechanically sound and legible rules.

Yepp, the meeting in question was probably just finalising the design based on previous work. However, claiming it is going from draft to final design in a single day will generate a lot more attention. Or it could be as simple as something getting lost in translation, "a full day meeting to finalise the rules" became "create the final rules in a day" as word got passed around.

16 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I just want to add that Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness had 4 diferent test phases of a little more than a month. TOW seems a lot more complex that Age of Darkness, that makes hard to believe that TOW was made in just one day.

Tbh after seeing the rules post by warcom it seems like an incredibly similar rule set, I certainly don’t think it looks more complex, I’d say it’s on the same boat

8 hours ago, flying_dutchman said:

I don't like gws colored minis.  They feel ever so slight cheaper than the grey ones.

Do you mean things like Underworlds warbands? I've been assembling one and the plastic is definitely different: it feels harder, and sprues gates don't clip off as nicely (they leave little scars that are a pain to deal with).

This might just been a result of the dye used to color the plastic, or perhaps it's actually a different composition, but I also don't like it.

10 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Recently also started painting my deffkopta stands black and decorated the base as normal. Actually looks a lot better imho.

Yep, at first glance you'd imagine flight stands look good because they are transparent, so give the illusion of fight. But in reality they are very visible, look a bit tacky, and painted matte black (or some other neutral colour) look far better.

I prefer it when GW can include some convenient but of scenery to act as a fight stand, but this doesn't always work (having all your deffkoptas scraping butts of ruin as they fly would maybe look a bit silly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferban said:

As someone (relatively) new to the hobby, I think the idea of pre-painted miniatures would be a net negative.  I think it would help sell some starter sets.  For sure.  But then I think it would be a barrier to the next step.  Novice painters aren't going to want to try their hand at painting minis if they are going to look like junk next to the pre-painted stuff they've already bought.  And most new painters are going to produce a few ugly minis (I know I did!).  

And I think a lot of people are scared to put paint on their minis at all at first.  And having a standard to compare it to would probably be daunting.  

Maybe if the prepainted stuff was relatively low quality (a few basecoats), then people could achieve that level easily and expand with washes, drybrushes, and other beginner friendly techniques.  But I think GW would get a lot of criticism for selling what might be considered low quality paint jobs. 

I say they keep it gray (or colored plastic maybe?) and leave the painting to the players. 

I agree with this. The question is: What barrier to entry are we trying to lower? The barrier to playing the game with a painted army, or the barrier to engage with the hobby as a whole (building, painting, collecting, lore, playing)? Pre-paints would make it easier to play the game with a painted army, but would probably also make it so that a significant portion of new players never start painting miniatures at all. If the artistic side of the hobby is important to what Warhammer is as a whole, then I would also say pre-paints are a bad move.

Spoiler

As an aside, it seems like it is pretty hard even for big companies (WizKids) to deliver pre-paints that both look good and are affordable:

clarence.PNG.3948112c64eb185ae1a0d628d82d24cb.PNG

I think even a beginner painter can reach this level with some guidance and after a month of practice will likely be painting at a much higher standard.

I think contrast paints are a much better way to lower the barrier to entry for Warhammer than pre-prints, because they actually help a lot with removing the fear of picking up a paint brush for new hobbyists.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blairtiny said:

What about going back to how whfb did thing with different points on artefacts etc

i loved the system where I could ‘build’ my hero

would also mean a greater variety of items get used as points would change what item you could take. Not so many auto choices 

Both could exist i think. But my way they can prevent some models from getting overpowered or just faq one imbalanced hero if need be.

GW could also scrap generic artifacts and make them army specific but that would be hard to do unless they index all the armies with 4th edition or some would have to wait 3 years to get some artifacts.

Edit: I think the route they are taking is heroes joining units. from what i have heard it has been very well received for 40k. I do doubt the list building possibilities here but maybe thats just me.

Edited by Gitzdee

8 minutes ago, Vagard said:

Did they talk about a potential new roadmap during the last preview? 

Is there another one (preview) schreduled already tho? 

Only a 40k roadmap and no scheduled preview. The next should be the end of the year silhouette teasers we normally get on the last days of December

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

Do you mean things like Underworlds warbands? I've been assembling one and the plastic is definitely different: it feels harder, and sprues gates don't clip off as nicely (they leave little scars that are a pain to deal with).

This might just been a result of the dye used to color the plastic, or perhaps it's actually a different composition, but I also don't like it.

Pretty much.  I know they've released some for other systems but the underworld warbands are the most common.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Not for me at least. I needed at least a second read to understand what happens when someone won a fight  XD

and, while I am sure it gets easy with practice, the whole thing to determine who wins feels a lot like the Accounting Sub-Phase

• Haha 1