The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Judging by the tone of the last article, older kits will come with larger regiment sizes. So I'd guess Skeletons will be sold as 32s, rather than Deathrattle's 20s, whereas newer kits (like the Foot Knights) will be closer to AoS. The prices might be similar, but you'll get more models for the price.

Then again you just get some unusual pricing like 20 new Mark III marines being £45 compared to 10 Primaris Intercessors for £37.50. So GW are apparently capable of surprises sometimes. 

Yeah I suspect that this might be how they are attempting to justify prices around AoS stuff. £35-40 for boxes of 32 (especially when that translates to ~£28-32 from 3rd parties) means that realistically the mark up from old Fantasy days is minimal, which I think is the best we can hope for even if the models are horrendously outdated.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Yeah I suspect that this might be how they are attempting to justify prices around AoS stuff. £35-40 for boxes of 32 (especially when that translates to ~£28-32 from 3rd parties) means that realistically the mark up from old Fantasy days is minimal, which I think is the best we can hope for even if the models are horrendously outdated.

Speaking of pricing, maybe these larger boxes will be similar to the MESBG basic troops (24 for 40€ from GW direct) so something like 50€ for 32. In fact the more I think about it the more MESBG seems to be the reference more than HH.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Hastings - who used to be one of the more reliable rumourmongers - is now reporting that the Tomb King half of the boxset will include a Hero/Lord on Chariot and 'Sand Mummies'. In addition, an Empire vs Greenskins box will drop in Summer, along with one Greenskin plastic kit and three Empire plastics. Both will get resin releases and there will be a 'narrative book' alongside them.

@Twisted Firaun

Edit: Got ninja'ed for this one on the TOW thread by thirty minutes, but ah well. 

SAND MUMMMIES?!?!?!?!?! BY LONG LOST NEHEKHARA MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!!! THANK YOU @Clan's Cynic! FOR GIVING ME HOPE!!! Now, the question remains on what the rest of our three-four resin kits will look like. My money is on an updated liche priest, a named priest on a casket of souls, and two tomb heralds (mounted and unmounted).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Hastings - who used to be one of the more reliable rumourmongers - is now reporting that the Tomb King half of the boxset will include a Hero/Lord on Chariot and 'Sand Mummies'. In addition, an Empire vs Greenskins box will drop in Summer, along with one Greenskin plastic kit and three Empire plastics. Both will get resin releases and there will be a 'narrative book' alongside them.

@Twisted Firaun

Edit: Got ninja'ed for this one on the TOW thread by thirty minutes, but ah well. 

A quick search has revealed that these rumours originate from someone called Mikhael on discord and not Hastings. They are largely believable but contradict the rumours that Valrak shared. I’m sure we’ll get our answer next month but I’m a bit worried about a mummy unit. That’s a concept that’s really hard to do well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goatforce said:

And? That doesn't make it reasonable or something that we should accept. It is ridiculous that GW is pushing massively outdated products, that often are at best a bit derpy, out that are priced as if they are brand new.

They are also not trying to restart a game that was dropped almost a decade ago with HH, AoS or 40K - that also died in a highly controversial way, one would hope that they would attempt to actually give the people they shafted (and that is exactly what invalidating sometimes £1000s worth of their products did to longtime fans) a decent deal to woo them back.

I'm not saying they should be priced more, I'm saying it's something to be expected based on the closest thing we have to it (HH) and the recent price-hiking of everything (not just new sculpts).

I also don't think they should give TOW a necessarily better deal than AoS though. If the new plastic TOW minis can be sold for less money than AoS kits, AoS minis can (and should be) too. They're both the same plastic, and you don't want to be pushing people intentionally away from the main game to a sidegame by only pricing one reasonably.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I also don't think they should give TOW a necessarily better deal than AoS though. If the new plastic TOW minis can be sold for less money than AoS kits, AoS minis can (and should be) too. They're both the same plastic, and you don't want to be pushing people intentionally away from the main game to a sidegame by only pricing one reasonably.

I don't think GW has any interest in establishing that what you are paying for with their models is the plastic. At least, that's not why I pay GW prices. I buy their models because of their high quality sculpts and crisp detail. From that point of view, old ToW kits should definitely be priced lower, because they sure are not on the cutting edge of miniature games anymore. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Here's the truth. 

TOW is a geedubs product so even if it's not mainline prices it will be over costed and expensive. 

Folks say it's dead on arrival if this happens and no, no it's not. Folks will complain all day and still buy into it. Nothing new here. 

Is what it is. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I'm not saying they should be priced more, I'm saying it's something to be expected based on the closest thing we have to it (HH) and the recent price-hiking of everything (not just new sculpts).

Oh I am not as concerned if new models are priced at around AoS prices, that's not a massive deal to me though I would hope it is a bit lower just because of how much more you have to buy to field an army (unlikely though). Old plastic should be priced lower, and to circle back to the original issue, a box set that is comprised mostly of old clunky models should not be priced as if it is equivalent to HH, which is comprised of new plastic sculpts (and a lot of them, the Age of Darkness box is massive). They are not the same thing just because they are side-games set in the past, if all of the models were new sculpts this would be entirely a different situation and I would actually not be too put off by a £185 box

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Here's the truth. 

TOW is a geedubs product so even if it's not mainline prices it will be over costed and expensive. 

Folks say it's dead on arrival if this happens and no, no it's not. Folks will complain all day and still buy into it. Nothing new here. 

Is what it is. 

This is something that frys me up. Vote with your wallets people!! My namesake and one of my favourite factions are spoiler alert....Sons of Behemat. I could justify buying a Mega Gargant at £120 and have 3 but once they increased in price I dusted my hands and said Im good. Meaning, besides it not being my favourite model of the faction anyway, I wont be buying Brodd or the Beast Smasha.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

This is something that frys me up. Vote with your wallets people!! My namesake and one of my favourite factions are spoiler alert....Sons of Behemat. I could justify buying a Mega Gargant at £120 and have 3 but once they increased in price I dusted my hands and said Im good. Meaning, besides it not being my favourite model of the faction anyway, I wont be buying Brodd or the Beast Smasha.

It is absolutely absurd how they costed Mega Gargants. What should have really worked out as one of the cheaper 2000 point armies is somehow one of the most expensive. I know you get a lot of bits left over with it but most of these will be useless.

Honestly the kit should be £100 at most.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Kind of a double edged sword. If e.g. nobody buys new Fyreslayers because they're overpriced, GW will probably not produce Fyreslayers anymore rather than making everything cheaper.

Stuff like Stormcast, StD and Cities will sell well enough regardless of price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Kind of a double edged sword. If e.g. nobody buys new Fyreslayers because they're overpriced, GW will probably not produce Fyreslayers anymore rather than making everything cheaper.

Yeah lots of stuff I have had to skip for price reasons. I am hoping to get the Cryptborn’s Stormwing box as the slight discount is likely the only way I will get him and a stormdrake guard set. 😰
82r8s5.jpg
Inflation + expenses = less money for hobby.  

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Yeah lots of stuff I have had to skip for price reasons. I am hoping to get the Cryptborn’s Stormwing box as the slight discount is likely the only way I will get him and a stormdrake guard set. 😰
82r8s5.jpg

To be honest, I don't think their sales are suffering. 40K keeps growing, 30k is doing great, and AoS is doing amazingly and better than WFB ever did.

• Like 4

Prices for Oop models are vastly inflated by their scarcity. They shouldn't mean things get more expensive when re released!

Remembering Warhammer armies were often north of £500 back in the day, I can only hope they cut some prices as that was one of the millstones round the games neck... And they are already competing against enough as is!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

It is the only play we consumers have though since the other option encourage them to continue increasing prices.

Also, it isn't like GW have put much energy in FS to begin with. It is a faction with copy/pasted characters, copy/pasted units, copy/pasted monsters (well, monster with different copy/pasted characters). Which is an important factor to mention since it is kind of backwards to demand consumers to pay a premium for minimal support. Basically, why should customers be excited to invest into faction/game if there's nothing there?

Had GW blown us away with awesome sculpts and great support then paying a premium might actually be warranted since you'd be buying into a premium product. Same is true for FEC. Long time with non-existent updates and that errata made me think they're about to get put into SBGL or something, which made me extremely hesitant to continue to buy into the faction.

TL;DR: If you want to change things you got be ready to take a few hits in the short term. If not, they'll just continue to increase the prices until their slogan, "warhammer is for everyone," becomes a parody onto itself.

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

It is the only play we consumers have though since the other option encourage them to continue increasing prices.

Also, it isn't like GW have put much energy in FS to begin with. It is a faction with copy/pasted characters, copy/pasted units, copy/pasted monsters (well, monster with different copy/pasted characters). Which is an important factor to mention since it is kind of backwards to demand consumers to pay a premium for minimal support. Basically, why should customers be excited to invest into faction/game if there's nothing there?

Had GW blown us away with awesome sculpts and great support then paying a premium might actually be warranted since you'd be buying into a premium product. Same is true for FEC. Long time with non-existent updates and that errata made me think they're about to get put into SBGL or something, which made me extremely hesitant to continue to buy into the faction.

TL;DR: If you want to change things you got be ready to take a few hits in the short term. If not, they'll just continue to increase the prices until their slogan, "warhammer is for everyone," becomes a parody onto itself.

This. FS just got a pretty awesome looking Warcry warband and maybe could get some cool stuff eventually (think that has been hinted at by Whitefang). So the low interest might have paid off in the long term as maybe GW will actually give them some stuff that doesn't look the same as everything else (or isn't a foot hero).

Also why I haven't baught the latest Total War Warhammer 3 DLC, do not want to support the obvious price gouging. The only way to stop this from happening, especially in industries where there is no realistic competition, is to not support them with your money

• Like 2