The Rumour Thread

22 hours ago, Flippy said:

I used “shelves” more metaphorically 😄

Anyway, can you imagine the reaction of someone interested in TOW being told that they should move to this other side of the shop and pick AoS kits (but only some of them, the ones that are cross compatible) and a handful of square bases?

GW can use new models, sure - but they should, at the very least, use different boxes (maybe with different numbers of models, but I suppose that would be very difficult). What I find ridiculous is the idea of publishing a miniature tabletop game with its own (strong) brand and then telling people to buy minis for a different game. And I think they went with squares and started with Bretonnia and Tomb Kings to avoid this particular issue- at least for now.

They’ve already said that TOW isn’t expected to be people’s first wargame (something to that affect, when asked about a starter box in the Old World Q&A at Warhammerfest), I’m sure the people they’re aiming it at can understand the concept of models from a different game being compatible. 

• Like 4

On 7/21/2023 at 8:14 PM, Ejecutor said:

I would say the overall consensus is that Callis and Toll would have their minis released during this Dawnbringers book series, but would you see a change in Callis' look as it is kind of inheriting the old WHF armour style rather than the new Freeguild style?

Reveal hidden contents

1.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

3.webp

I can picture him with clothes kind of similar to the ones from Glaurio Ven Alten III so it pops up from the Steelhelms.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2023 at 8:35 AM, Fellman said:

The summer King is coming
image.png.f9e375e9cc7be136436896c45e72a211.png

Really hoping for new basic Ghouls too.

IMO they are one of the units that lost in quality when it was moved from metal to plastic - the old metal ones looked horrifying, the plastic ones a bit cartoonish - but with GW's sculpts having increased massively in recent years, I think a reimagining could make them look really impressive!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

Really hoping for new basic Ghouls too.

IMO they are one of the units that lost in quality when it was moved from metal to plastic - the old metal ones looked horrifying, the plastic ones a bit cartoonish - but with GW's sculpts having increased massively in recent years, I think a reimagining could make them look really impressive!

The old Ghouls are very cool, and quite happy their legacy in some way still exists in the form of Heresy Miniatures ghouls. (Pictured).

But I don’t know why people don’t like the plastic ghoul set.  I really like the proportions, and the strange  Neanderthal like faces make sense given they’re really just generations of humans going through devolution. It’s a unit of Gollums and they really do look the part. 

IMG_2960.jpeg

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kronos said:

The old Ghouls are very cool, and quite happy their legacy in some way still exists in the form of Heresy Miniatures ghouls. (Pictured).

But I don’t know why people don’t like the plastic ghoul set.  I really like the proportions, and the strange  Neanderthal like faces make sense given they’re really just generations of humans going through devolution. It’s a unit of Gollums and they really do look the part. 

IMG_2960.jpeg

Yes the pictured unit looks great!

I feel in general GW were struggling with their aesthetic in between the somewhat realistic-looking late metal era, around 6th-7th edition or so when they had changed from the very colourful and also cartoonish 4th and 5th edition, and AoS (or at least End Times). They feel rushed, like they neither have the personality of the old models or the details of the newer ones. For example, the last dwarf (now Dispossessed) range doesn't do it for me either. Ditto for the savage orc (now Bonesplitterz) range (and also several other orc units from that era, such as generic Boar Boyz). Or the by now completely squatted late High Elves range. 

I guess early AoS also had some vestiges of this problem: for example, the Fyreslayer units (but not heroes and droths) feel like this too... I am not sure what happened around that time, but I've heard it suggested that they were adjusting to digital sculpting processes?

However, I think the release of Nagash for End Times was a pivotal point. There they clearly took a step forward and released what I think is one of their absolutely strongest miniatures all things considered. Same with Mortarchs, Stormfiends, lots of Nurgle stuff... There they showed that they had started to master whatever sculpting tools they use now. And now almost everything they release is excellent, whether new armies like Ossiarchs, Nighthaunt and Idoneth or updates like the Lizards, SBGL or StD. It's truly gorgeous stuff.

EDIT: I realize I didn't really address the ghouls themselves. I like the metal ones because you can see they are humans who are in the process of losing it. They don't look *that* different from flagellants, who also are on the verge of going crazy, but the ghouls have stepped over a line that the flagellants haven't quite yet. Whereas the plastic spiky bone boys have devolved a bit too much to make sense. They look like generic cartoon monsters. So I actually feel the old metal ones are more like Gollum whereas the plastic ones feel more like something from Warcraft.

Edited by Dawi not Duardin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

Yes the pictured unit looks great!

I feel in general GW were struggling with their aesthetic in between the somewhat realistic-looking late metal era, around 6th-7th edition or so when they had changed from the very colourful and also cartoonish 4th and 5th edition, and AoS (or at least End Times). They feel rushed, like they neither have the personality of the old models or the details of the newer ones. For example, the last dwarf (now Dispossessed) range doesn't do it for me either. Ditto for the savage orc (now Bonesplitterz) range (and also several other orc units from that era, such as generic Boar Boyz). Or the by now completely squatted late High Elves range. 

I guess early AoS also had some vestiges of this problem: for example, the Fyreslayer units (but not heroes and droths) feel like this too... I am not sure what happened around that time, but I've heard it suggested that they were adjusting to digital sculpting processes?

However, I think the release of Nagash for End Times was a pivotal point. There they clearly took a step forward and released what I think is one of their absolutely strongest miniatures all things considered. Same with Mortarchs, Stormfiends, lots of Nurgle stuff... There they showed that they had started to master whatever sculpting tools they use now. And now almost everything they release is excellent, whether new armies like Ossiarchs, Nighthaunt and Idoneth or updates like the Lizards, SBGL or StD. It's truly gorgeous stuff.

EDIT: I realize I didn't really address the ghouls themselves. I like the metal ones because you can see they are humans who are in the process of losing it. They don't look *that* different from flagellants, who also are on the verge of going crazy, but the ghouls have stepped over a line that the flagellants haven't quite yet. Whereas the plastic spiky bone boys have devolved a bit too much to make sense. They look like generic cartoon monsters. So I actually feel the old metal ones are more like Gollum whereas the plastic ones feel more like something from Warcraft.

I'd generally agree with your points in terms of aesthetics and style, however, I will not accept anyone besmirching my beloved Ironbreakers/Irondrakes/Gyrocopter/Runelord/Longbeards/Hammerers etc. 😛

And on the topic of ghouls, I personally really like the current minis. Having had a look at the old ones, I feel they looked a bit too much like just naked zombies, while the new ones have an aesthetic all their own (even more disgusting looking Gollum).

Imho I'd really like to see some actual rusted armour/weapons/frayed cloth on them to give them a bit of that "noble knight/squire" look they imagine themselves as. Seeing a ghoul with rusted armour with their spine cutting through the chestplate and jaw sticking out of the helmet, riding a deformed "used to be human" ghoul horse with fraying leather reins and stitched skin saddle/armour would immediately have me considering starting a FEC army to go against my "actually knights/squires in armour" CoS army.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

36 minutes ago, Asbestress said:

I'd generally agree with your points in terms of aesthetics and style, however, I will not accept anyone besmirching my beloved Ironbreakers/Irondrakes/Gyrocopter/Runelord/Longbeards/Hammerers etc. 😛

I grant nostalgia may be speaking too. The switch from 5th to 6th was my most active time as a player way back as a kiddo. Everyone probably thinks that era is the best. I certainly remember the veterans back then grumbling about how good even earlier minis were because they had so much personality! 

...but clearly the 6th edition dwarfs are the best, there is no competition, just look at this...

XsvkP6T.jpg.a8ebe4f724370ae0512c8fd1a5821d49.jpgdownload(1).jpg.c63c3433bbeaf4216becd86256da0f0a.jpgwb-034.jpg.460db6a750297eaffc160724b5453473.jpg

image.jpeg.094493e4b1cde740c543106838c61063.jpeg

:D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 11

If we do see a new box of basic ghouls, I doubt the design would change that much. The standard ghouls in Warcry and Underworlds have all looked very similar to the existing models, whereas the Saurus needed the update bc the few recent saurus just didn't look like the old sculpts anymore. 

On the other hand, it'd be really annoying if they do discontinue the current ghoul box. Getting twenty guys for cheap is so important given you need loads for the army, and if they make a more expensive box with half the models it'd be a real kick in the shins

• Like 1

I love GW for making awesome detailed models. But sometimes less clutter and clever design is more effective. Same with the gigantic scenic bases. I love detailed heroes,  detailed generic dudes not so much.

Edit: Some details like eyes and other facial features have become so small its almost impossible for me to paint them at all.

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

I love GW for making awesome detailed models. But sometimes less clutter and clever design is more effective. Same with the gigantic scenic bases. I love detailed heroes,  detailed generic dudes not so much.

Edit: Some details like eyes and other facial features have become so small its almost impossible for me to paint them at all.

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Yeah, and an additional plus is that simpler models make the more dynamic and ornate models stand out more. 

On 7/23/2023 at 6:53 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

Warcry Starter pre-order next week as well as the standalone Nightmare Quest teams. 

Also another Cities of Sigmar reveal, presumably tomorrow.

Another previsible week

Spoiler

Necromunda
Squat prospector

Age of Sigmar
Cities Battletome + Infrantry + Cavalry + Foot Marshall + the Not-Ogor + Alchemist + Manticore + Fusiliers + Doggies
Cities Armybox
Mistery book Winter
Dawnbringer: Orruks?
Dawnbringer: 3
Dawnbringer: 4
THE HYPE BOAR

Warcry
Underworlds meets Warcry starter Soulblight vs SCE
Scenary outside + Old warbands
2 Warbands (Order vs Destro)
2 Warbands (Order vs Death)
2 Warbands (who knows)
Krule Monsta-hunta
Cities Doggy Hunters

Underworlds
Skaven Pestilens
Starter Set Again?!
Core Box
Destro Warband
Rival Deck 2

Horus Heresy
Plastic Lancer
Two more Knights
Assault Squad
Mistery Army
Legion Command Squad
Primarch
Lords of War
Dreadnought
Champion

Warhammer 40k
Space Marines Codex - Launch Complete army
Tyranids Codex - Launch Complete Army
Marines from Agastus
Deathleaper
Adeptus Mechanicus
Necrons
Dark Angels
Orks
Adeptus Custodes
T'au Empire
Chaos Space Marines

Kill Team 
Votann + Beastmen warbands + scenary outside

LotR
Nazghûl and the Hobbits

Old World
Bretonnian Paladin + Standard Bearer
Tomb Kings Hero

Blood Bowl
Grashnak Blackhoof    
Fatty Nurgle Star
Ivan the bones

Epic HH
The box
Dire wolfs
Support box (Deredeo, Leviathan, Tarantula & Rapier)
Kratos
Baneblade
Rhino
Warhounds
New terrain

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Thanks 3

Gotta be artillery tomorrow! Can't wait whatever it's gonna be.

The last Cities article also stated there'll be an Old World update later in July. It's really the last week of July this week so I thought it would've been mentioned in the Sunday article, but either they forgot, it means it's only going to be a small update like another map or something, or it's gonna be the last day of July next Monday. 

32 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Do we know the Warcry prices?

If its anything over £50-60 I'm going to be annoyed. There should be at least some discount on the models, given that the Underworld fighters are absurdly overprices. Plus it's not even a great Starter kit for warcry, since you need to buy at least one more box to play either warband properly, so it shouldn't be too expensive. 

In reality, this is GW, so it'll be 25% more than you would reasonably wish to pay

• Like 1