The Rumour Thread

Some reflections on dropped kits.

1. Kind of a fan of them keeping the DE units rather than the other elves. Not because they necessarily are better models, but they have a grittier, somewhat street-smart feeling to them which stands in contrast to the more trad-Tolkien WE and HE. Which befits the gritty, street-smart citzens of the Cities of Sigmar. Probably even these old DE units will end up replaced in the end, but the DE strike me as the best stand-in miniatures for city elves until then. I also don't really see them becoming Malekith's forces or reuniting with Morathi. This is in particular because it feels like AoS Malekith is much more esoteric than the dark elves of old. My bet is that we will see something more fantastic coming up and making up Malekith's armies whenever he appears.

2. Elf rumour hopes: I hope getting rid of the Phoenicium is a pro-Tyrion move, as others have suggested. Also I really like this move for the sake of the Phoenicium. I think the old Phoenix Guard models are too tied up in old world lore for AoS, whereas they  probably were my favourite High Elves back in fantasy. They fit best where they belong, IMO. :)

3. Elf rumour wishlisting: Tyrion vs. Malekith grudge match release. Both with new models.

4. Perhaps one reason they are not getting rid of the Karl Franz-marked units is that Karl Franz in fact wasn't even born in TOW, so they mightn't fit that timeline? But as others have pointed out, GW likes to update things like Steam Tanks on their own, so we may well see updates here at random points in the future too.

5. As an old-school dwarf fan, I am a bit torn on the Cities dwarfs. On the one hand, they feel so... well, so dispossessed, rather than proud dawi of old. On the other hand, I admit the current model range plays that role rather well. They are like the AoS version of the puffy sleeved, Altdorf-and-Nuln-living dwarfs of the Empire of old. I guess they are likely to eventually be replaced too, but they do their job... Of course the big question here is what the return of Grungni and Grombrindal will end up implying. We don't have a clear picture of that yet.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I’m really surprised the flagelants stayed. With the preview article about the religious cults (cult of the wheel) I was sure we would get a new kit. Maybe it will just be a centerpiece model. 
i feel the current flagelants are a nice kits, but they are to buff. I saw someone convert the new zombies into flagelants, they looked amazing with their skinny arms and legs and shambling poses. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

Some reflections on dropped kits.

1. Kind of a fan of them keeping the DE units rather than the other elves. Not because they necessarily are better models, but they have a grittier, somewhat street-smart feeling to them which stands in contrast to the more trad-Tolkien WE and HE. Which befits the gritty, street-smart citzens of the Cities of Sigmar. Probably even these old DE units will end up replaced in the end, but the DE strike me as the best stand-in miniatures for city elves until then. I also don't really see them becoming Malekith's forces or reuniting with Morathi. This is in particular because it feels like AoS Malekith is much more esoteric than the dark elves of old. My bet is that we will see something more fantastic coming up and making up Malekith's armies whenever he appears.

2. Elf rumour hopes: I hope getting rid of the Phoenicium is a pro-Tyrion move, as others have suggested. Also I really like this move for the sake of the Phoenicium. I think the old Phoenix Guard models are too tied up in old world lore for AoS, whereas they  probably were my favourite High Elves back in fantasy. They fit best where they belong, IMO. :)

3. Elf rumour wishlisting: Tyrion vs. Malekith grudge match release. Both with new models.

4. Perhaps one reason they are not getting rid of the Karl Franz-marked units is that Karl Franz in fact wasn't even born in TOW, so they mightn't fit that timeline? But as others have pointed out, GW likes to update things like Steam Tanks on their own, so we may well see updates here at random points in the future too.

5. As an old-school dwarf fan, I am a bit torn on the Cities dwarfs. On the one hand, they feel so... well, so dispossessed, rather than proud dawi of old. On the other hand, I admit the current model range plays that role rather well. They are like the AoS version of the puffy sleeved, Altdorf-and-Nuln-living dwarfs of the Empire of old. I guess they are likely to eventually be replaced too, but they do their job... Of course the big question here is what the return of Grungni and Grombrindal will end up implying. We don't have a clear picture of that yet.

Haha, yes, number 4 is probably spot on. I wouldn't be amazed that  this is the only reason that the griffon stays in CoS.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:55 PM, HorticulusTGA said:

Love them - in my top 3* ! I was a bit unsure after the Manticore Lady reveal (I know, minority here), but today we are clearly back on track.

Can't wait for the CANNON

*My personal ranking, from best to just-less-best : 

Hide contents

1. Freeguild Cavaliers
  2. Freeguild Marshal and Relic Envoy
  3. Freeguild Fusiliers
  4. Freeguild Steelhelms
  5. Fusil-Major on Ogor Warhulk
  6. Alchemite Warforger
  7. Tahlia Vedra, Lioness Of The Parch

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Tahlia. I want my army to be grim and unhappy soldiers fighting giants and ghosts and scary things using human weapons and plain old balls of steel! Hopefully there'll be another ''centrepiece'', maybe a big cannon, as I wont be using Tahlia

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

The problem now with the state of current Cities kits is... I have to motivate myself to paint the Celestial Hurricanum, a model chock full of details, in sub assemblies... (I'd rather paint a Saga warband instead)

Matthew Whitby on Twitter: "@freeners [Kylo Ren GIF: "I know what I have to do  but I don't know if I have the strength to do it."]  https://t.co/o4NPacIUE5" / Twitter

HE cut out will inevitably pop up and TOW, and leave room for new LRL units - which I'm sure LRL players would appreciate, provided they don't come with another battletome. 

Gonna repeat myself (sorry for those who have heard this rant before) but to me the 40k Chaos Beastman Kill Team heralds a new age of Beasts of Chaos sculpts. Which means you can kill two birds in one stone and cover Old World and AoS Beastmen in one release... just sayin'.

Don't worry, they can still make beastmen in new epic, the RTS, 40k and Necromunda before them coming to AoS

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

I agree with a lot of this. Personally, I think that the subfaction selection of Cities in the new book is now more or less finalized. I expect Cities to always have humans, dwarves and elves going foreward. So if Malerion manifests at some point, I don't actually think the old Dark Elf models will go to that army. I think they (and the dwarves, although they need it the least) will get similar reimaginings to the Freeguild at some point down the line.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I agree with a lot of this. Personally, I think that the subfaction selection of Cities in the new book is now more or less finalized. I expect Cities to always have humans, dwarves and elves going foreward. So if Malerion manifests at some point, I don't actually think the old Dark Elf models will go to that army. I think they (and the dwarves, although they need it the least) will get similar reimaginings to the Freeguild at some point down the line.

I agree. For me Duardin and 'Dark Aelves' fit in with Cities more than say Wanderers and High Aelves.

I just hope in the future everyones Factions become updated and refreshed and when a new Faction comes along we can just revel in the hype!!

I kind of liked the idea of Wanderers in Cities as they felt like a natural extension of the idea of a city not bound entirely within its walls. Namely that they can represent hunters and scouts as there would need to be outposts for the defence of a city in the mortal realms. I think this is even more true of the Dawn Bringers as their would need to be scouts and searchers to help find fertile lands and also find others if the company ever got separated upon being attacked. 

But I do get that does involve a bit of explanation as just having Robinhood elves hanging out in the city square might not look as good as say some more militarily styled dreadspears.

I am also realizing that the old black dragon is sticking around so if I go cities I will likely go for a proxy and maybe look at Creature Caster or Dungeons and Lasers for a proxy. Also I would one hundered percent put a Duardin onto the Steam tank to give them a more prominent largerscale hero model as well. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Are we thinking the Artillery may be revealed on Monday!?

Just thinking about that, did I understand correctly that there would soon be a preview article showing all the remaining COS new features in one go ?

while more updated units – including artillery – are on their way to a preview article near you. These miniatures will be replacing many current models on a like-for-like basis.

We're going to have the same thing tomorrow for SM or Tyranids. Could it be that COS will get it the following Saturday ?  I think the number of kits revealed tomorrow could be a good indication of what GW are prepared to show in one go for Cities. Like that, pre-order army set on 29 July for release on 5 August and we'd have about a month until the full army release in early September. Right in time for autumn period as planned.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Draznak said:

Just thinking about that, did I understand correctly that there would soon be a preview article showing all the remaining COS new features in one go ?

We're going to have the same thing tomorrow for SM or Tyranids. Could it be that COS will get it the following Saturday ?  I think the number of kits revealed tomorrow could be a good indication of what GW are prepared to show in one go for Cities. Like that, pre-order army set on 29 July for release on 5 August and we'd have about a month until the full army release in early September. Right in time for autumn period as planned.

I think it's just the usual ambiguous wording. Tomorrow we're having an online preview for 40k, so I think we'll just have weekly(?) articles for Cities until everything's revealed and the Army Set goes up on pre-order. If we're getting 1 kit per article or more, we'll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, Asbestress said:

I think it's just the usual ambiguous wording. Tomorrow we're having an online preview for 40k, so I think we'll just have weekly(?) articles for Cities until everything's revealed and the Army Set goes up on pre-order. If we're getting 1 kit per article or more, we'll have to wait and see.

I was going to say that my money is on one article every two weeks, which I think was the pattern with Seraphon. But if the launch box comes out in August, that would not be enough time to hype all the new kits. So maybe it is weekly? Or every two weeks with another big preview before the launch box?

• Like 1

6 or 7 more preview articles will take us to the end of August when I expect to see the box set up for pre-order. September will probably marines and Nids meaning we would city the full cities range in October, Dawnbringers 3 in November and Dawnbringers 4 in December alongside a FeC launch box with the full FeC range next year like we got with Slaves to Darkness those year. The big mystery is what we will see in February - June next year. I can't believe we are going to have 5 months with no releases for AoS. 

Is Dawnbringers more than 4 books? Are we getting a whole second campaign series? Will we get a surprise new army? 

• LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I was going to say that my money is on one article every two weeks, which I think was the pattern with Seraphon. But if the launch box comes out in August, that would not be enough time to hype all the new kits. So maybe it is weekly? Or every two weeks with another big preview before the launch box?

Imho they wouldn't have teased the artillery this week if it was still 2 weeks out, although I'm still in the "Army Set in early-mid August" camp, so I might have a bit of a bias.

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

The big mystery is what we will see in February - June next year. I can't believe we are going to have 5 months with no releases for AoS. 

Could this be the edition where we switch to a 4-year cycle? That would leave us enough time to get another narrative book series and maybe even another new army in there.

Probably not, though.

• Like 1

The Honest Wargamer goes over the Cities article and give some interesting takes/insight/rumors. Some highlights:

• He is in the camp that Cities will end up as an all human army in a few years.
  • Mentions the rumors of both dark elves and dwarfs getting their own factions at some point.
  • Thinks the current dark elves and dwarf modles will be used as the starter of those new armies.
  • Notes how big GW giving people the Ok to proxy is and how GW is scared this move may upset the fans.
  • Thinks a lot of the mage stuff stayed since it would not go with the lore of the Old World.
  • The bad spot GW is in for trying to take out all the old models from AoS despite them forming the core of several factions.

Edited by RyantheFett
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I agree. For me Duardin and 'Dark Aelves' fit in with Cities more than say Wanderers and High Aelves.

I just hope in the future everyones Factions become updated and refreshed and when a new Faction comes along we can just revel in the hype!!

I think it depends.

There are certain cities where High elves or wood elves would fit better them the dark elves

but then there are cities were dark elves would fit much better then the other elve races.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

I'm being 100% serious on that, but in such case, can we think of any other rational reasons for the societies of the original Cities to get fragmented in this way other than racism?

As in, humans become racist and kick everyone else out?

I guess the other races seeing the light of Grungni and Malerion, respectively, and leaving to do their own thing is the most plausible explanation (although still weak writing, in my opinion).

• Like 1

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

I think it depends.

There are certain cities where High elves or wood elves would fit better them the dark elves

but then there are cities were dark elves would fit much better then the other elve races.

In my opinion, Dark Elves generally fit well because they are the elves that are motivated by a desire for status and wealth more than any big ideological reasons. There are a lot of opportunities for near-immortal beings to accumulate those in regular cities of the realms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

As in, humans become racist and kick everyone else out?

I guess the other races seeing the light of Grungni and Malerion, respectively, and leaving to do their own thing is the most plausible explanation (although still weak writing, in my opinion).

Don't know, but in your second proposed ption I feel there still would be a rift. Whole generations of both dwarfs and elves were born and raised in those cities, worshipping Sigmar.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grungnisson said:

Don't know, but in your second proposed ption I feel there still would be a rift. Whole generations of both dwarfs and elves were born and raised in those cities, worshipping Sigmar.

*worshipping the pantheon of Order, but in general I agree. Which is why I said I think this would be weak writing.

• Like 2