The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

What's weird about Dispos is that the models are from WFB but we have older WFB sculpts that have integrated better into AoS (see dryads) than them. Idk how their current range is gonna look like next to the new Cities. But I always felt like there was a little something off about their look. Maybe it's their background as WFB Dwarfs that influences my opinion.

If Dispos leave Cities to become their own army, I'd like to see something aesthetically new for them. Like how the Seraphon feel new but still are recognisable as "Lizardmen". Maybe even a 100% reboot of the line. The current sculpts are gonna end up in TOW anyway. Put the current Dispossessed range in the Old World where it belongs and do a new one for AoS with a separate BT. If you want them in Cities, just make them coalition units like how Cities have access to SCE. They've been teasing the return of Grombrindal and Grungni being involved for ages now, it takes time (because that's the Dawi way ! Only wazzocks rush their work) but it has to come to something at the end. And I find it strange that Whitefang has nothing to say about that too. 

I want all new sculpts in Cities. I know some people love the WHFB minis and GW have kept selling them for years but for me, personally? Gut them all!! I want 100% new Cities!! Give us new versions of those same units.

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

Is it new story day today?

It is!! I almost forgot!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I want all new sculpts in Cities. I know some people love the WHFB minis and GW have kept selling them for years but for me, personally? Gut them all!! I want 100% new Cities!! Give us new versions of those same units.

I think that's pretty likely given a long enough time scale. If the Cities book comes out with Wanderers and Phoenix Temple out, but Dark Elves and Dwarves in like we are expecting, then I would fully expect Cities waves 2 and 3 to update those models.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

If the dwarf was painted in the colors of the city it would 100% blend perfectly. I hope GW has repainted some Dispossessed for the new battletome, instead of recycling the same studio minis that were obviously painted before the Cities rework. 

Not official GW stuff, but they did a focus on an army that has a toned down look, including some dwarves that I think would fit in with the new Cities aesthetic we've seen so far.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/13/meet-amberfall-the-grim-n-gritty-city-of-sigmar/

Some suitable conversions like shaving the patterns of the shield and a dark scheme work really well. 

8 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think that's pretty likely given a long enough time scale. If the Cities book comes out with Wanderers and Phoenix Temple out, but Dark Elves and Dwarves in like we are expecting, then I would fully expect Cities waves 2 and 3 to update those models.

Im expecting Malerion to pop up at either the tail end of 4.0 as the big bad in 5.0. Im imagining most of the Dark Aelf sculpts to be moved over there and updated.

33 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

This is my feeling as well but for the sake of argument, is his closeness (or lack of closeness) any different to that of Kragnos with the destruction factions? He barely talks to any of them, and perhaps a slightly different situation given they just follow what they see as a living earthquake, but still.

It is very different, since in the case of the dwarfs no one really wants to follow Grungni. In fact, with the Dispossessed becoming more and more domesticated within the cities, even for them Grungni becomes more like a branch manager, with Sigmar being the CEO.

We keep having this conversation, and we'll probably keep having it still, but the whole sentiment of unifying the dwarfs is just a leftover from TOW. In AoS there is absolutely nothing that the three dwarf groups have culturally in common.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Not official GW stuff, but they did a focus on an army that has a toned down look, including some dwarves that I think would fit in with the new Cities aesthetic we've seen so far.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/13/meet-amberfall-the-grim-n-gritty-city-of-sigmar/

Some suitable conversions like shaving the patterns of the shield and a dark scheme work really well. 

If Dispos are good in the next Cities BT I'd probably get some. I have a gyrocopter that's been sitting in the pile of shame for ages 😃
Tbf the runic motives even if they're really associated with WFB could wtill work in Cities. Stormcasts have also a similar vibe with bearded faces (of Sigmar) and runes on their shields.

What could be great to blend the WFB dwarfs into Cities duardin imo is Cities decals on their banners.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

All we need is enough functional overlap between the new and old minis so that people, who have large CoS armies can still proxy. But otherwise, I agree, Karl Franz iconography has got to go.

• Like 1

Next Dawnbringers story. 

4FNyG7zVdX8TOtR0.jpg

Night was never too dark in Aqshy, Volgard observed. The star-splattered sky was cut with a nebulous haze of smoke from the Great Parch’s veins. Long after Hysh had made its descent, the realm remained ablaze with its own never-ending energy. And bellicose warrior Margorn Thorriksson thrived in the centre of that energy, his arms spread wide, trying his best to channel it.

‘Every single one o’ those troggs was as tall as a Magmadroth, with huge hands that could crush a warrior as easily as a bloodfruit.’

The gathered fyrd of Fyreslayers formed a silent ring amongst the basalt rocks. They were so still that Volgard could hear the twigs crackling in the campfire. Many watched with half-eaten salamander skewers hanging limply out of their mouths. 

Volgard leaned back against one of the dark stones and frowned so deeply that his eyes vanished under his eyebrows. He couldn’t help but signpost his scorn towards Margorn, who was, after all, prone to exaggeration.

‘Their skin bloomed the colour o’ bruises and they hurled great boulders like they was pebbles,’ Margorn continued, gesturing emphatically with ash-stained hands. ‘I was there. Watching my kin getting scooped up by those foul creatures as I took an axe to their mates. Hearing the crunch o’ their bones as blunted fangs tore their flesh. Wenigvost was a decent-sized outpost, just south o’ the Splitbrow Lake, but they crushed us as easily as a passing ash-flow might smother a single torch.’

‘How did you not see them coming?’ Volgard huffed, taking another skewer from the fire. 

‘All the preparation in the world couldn’t’ve saved our post. Not when an unstoppable tide of those creatures is on the move. Besides, beardling,’ Margorn added with a glint in his eye, ‘it’s not like you did any better.’

Pip8b7MkOghGoxl8.jpg

The fire-ale that had so far collared Volgard’s temper was abruptly overruled by his pride. The warrior tossed his skewer aside and drew his axe. 

‘You have no right to speak of my people’s plight.’

Margorn picked up his poleaxe from where it lay by the fireside, his smile darkening into a heavy-set snarl. 

‘Go on then, runt. What makes you think you fared better than I?’ the duardin challenged, taking a step towards Volgard as he spoke.

‘Even a Dankhold would have been droth-pickings for our men,’ said Volgard, relishing in the feeling of the fyrd’s story-hungry eyes turning upon him. ‘We fought something even worse.’

Brandishing his axe, he stepped up to the campfire and let it illuminate him brilliantly from below.

‘Picture the biggest troggoth you’ve ever seen. Make his flesh as hard as the earth, and as cracked and unforgiving as it, too. Give his eyes a madness, a hunger for nothing but wanton destruction. And atop him…’

Volgard sucked in a breath and leaned down towards the flames. He drew his arms in a great arcing sweep over his head.

‘Atop his back stood a portal, heavy with magic—’

‘Such a creature does not exist!’ Margorn growled, slamming the butt of his poleaxe into the ground and making Volgard flinch. ‘You and I faced the same foe, Volgard. Don’t try and escape from the shame of our losses by inventing a foe you couldn’t defeat.’

‘He was very much real. And he crushed three of my kin for each one you lost.’

‘Sounds like your brethren should’ve laid off the fire-ale.’ Under the flaming waterfall of Margorn’s beard, Volgard caught him smirking.

For a heartbeat, he stared down Margorn’s ruddy little face. Every heartbeat that echoed in his ears whispered the names of the fallen. Drolf. Yarok. Gunvar.

Then he charged.

9EiPrgUjfA0Cxk7j.jpg

Brilliant sparks exploded between them as fyresteel met in a three-way clash. One of the gathered crowd had stirred to life from beside the shadowed rocks in an instant. The interloper crossed the campfire and glanced the warring blows off his sparking hammers. The fire’s glow was replaced by the pulsing of a light so warm, so primal, that Volgard found himself immediately entranced. 

The entire camp fell silent as the grim warrior forced their blades down to their sides. The scent of burnt smoke formed an aura around him as it permeated the camp.

‘Enough,’ said the newcomer, a battle-scarred survivor who had introduced himself as Fjori. That single word held a weight that stamped out Volgard’s temper like an ember under his heel. ‘Each duardin life taken from us is united in equal tragedy.’

Volgard shot Margorn one more sour look, but there was no bite behind it. Their argument paled when looking at the paired hammers borne by the sombre grimbarazki, flickering with the embers of a Master Flame saved at the cost of a fallen hold. The memory of a thousand lives carried on a single set of shoulders, waiting to be rekindled once again – unless, shudder to think, Fjori died.

‘The duardin of Guzanhold…’ Volgard ventured, placing down his axe once again. ‘Tell us of them, Fjori.’

The exile stepped off the fire’s remains and sank down against the dark rock. He patted the ground near him, and the feuding survivors sat in the dust once again. Volgard reached for a fresh salamander skewer and handed it to the old warrior. Sighs of relief rippled across the gathered fyrd.

PFsX1PLUU34JSYvy.jpg

Fjori bit into his skewer and leaned back into Aqshy’s rocky cradle. The last of the smoke drifted softly away on the night breeze. All around the exile, the group of impatient duardin waited for him to speak. He chewed, swallowed, and allowed himself to remember.

‘Guzanhold wasn’t a large place, but it had a bright future ahead of it once,’ he said. ‘When old Jorgul-Grimnir first burst out of the shadow of his father, he had a great vision for his new hold. They built it between two mountains in the Adamantine Chain, and its halls and walkways struck out like the rivers of magma they bridged. ’Twas truly a masterpiece.

‘’Course, that was what did us in. Vermin surrounded us upon our bridges and tunnels. At the last, my brother Yulgar continued to beat them bloody even as they sliced the skin from his arms and legs with their wicked little blades.’

Fjori sat back and gazed darkly at the stars. Volgard held his breath. Images of his own outpost’s demise still haunted him – bodies burning with acidic troggoth vomit; corpses adhered to troggs’ giant hands where they had been squashed without a second thought; the tang of blood cooking on hot rock.

‘They didn’t kill us quickly,’ Fjori continued. ‘Cursed ratmen were dishonourable till the end. I’ll never forget old Jorgul-Grimnir’s steaming tears as he died shielding his Runeson from the skaventide.’

Silently, Volgard collected a new bundle of wood from his pack and piled it on the dead campfire. Fjori held his hammer above it, and with a soft spark, a new light flickered to life.

‘By Grimnir’s beard I do swear this,’ the exile declared. ‘We shall pay back the pain we have suffered a hundredfold. Every last vermin, grot and troggoth that lifted even a finger towards our kind will suffer by our hand.’

As the campfire blazed brightly once again, the Aqshian steam was pierced by countless raised fyresteel blades.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I could see dwarfs and dark elves not getting an update with the new cities book on the horizon.

They are pretty new sculpts that came out with the late 8th edition warhammer fantasy range.

what dwarf could need are some additional units like normal warriors and such.

but considering the old world there is a good chance we’ll see them coming with that at some point in time.

as for dark elves, they could probably do well becoming Malekiths elves again, with some added in units.

basically them getting the dok treatment.

something else I would actually like to see is the dark elves becoming a part of the whole dok faction, considering that they are already under morathis command this would in theory make even sense.

and dok would get some necessary new…

well old models back that look great

Another allusion to a mysterious being that sets the events of the short stories in motion. GW rarely refers to units and characters that aren't a part of the game, so i could see these small lore snippets as more than just marketing for the Harbinger boxes they will soon sell.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, KingBrodd said:

The best. Yet.

That Huge Troggoth is a massive sign of the future!!

What if its a portal to the Everdank? What if Gloomspite are spreading?

@Whitefang liked a comment referring to new Troggs outside of Warcry, maybe this is the new Troggoth!? A hero Trogg!?

Huge troggoth with stone skin and a magic portal on its back ? Stone skin = chitin ? Silent People confirmed ? 

Or magic portal = chaos corruption = Morghur ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

Story itself was nothing special. Grudge, slighted honor, destroyed Magmahold and oaths of revenge. Typical Slayer stuff.

I couldn't agree more.

I know these short stories are just introductions to the new Dawnbringers heroes, but that's exactly why I found this story uninspired, unlike the first one.

I hope that Dawnbringers' crusades will give them opportunity to be a bit more optimistic and renew themselves !

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

If the dwarf was painted in the colors of the city it would 100% blend perfectly. I hope GW has repainted some Dispossessed for the new battletome, instead of recycling the same studio minis that were obviously painted before the Cities rework. 

Considering that we got City colour Dispossessed and Aelves for the 2019 BT, I would expect them to do the same for the new one (even more so that this isn't just a temporary BT to hold leftovers for the length of the Edition.) I just hope they finally update the leftover old square base pictures on the webstore/have everything in a coherent scheme.

And also, the Ironbreaker shield would look amazing with black metal.

• Like 1

TBF the old dwarf and dark elves may just be there until either Grugni or Malekith get there release (and Phoenix guard for Tyrion)

like if Wanderers are out and Whitefang hint of Kurnothi is comming, it probably more of a targeted approach, wether it’s a complete replacement like Lumeneth or extension like DoK is unknown.

i don’t buy or bank the idea that future CoS update will update the other old armies outside of humans as not even CoS would get that luxury of multi waves in the future.

• Like 1

GW seem to like their things getting piggybacks at the moment lol. 

I can see the troggoth with a portal on its back being something that directly shines the light of the bad moon, a big moon mirror with a couple of luna crazed grots to direct it. 

Maybe with a second build of a hero trog? 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

TBF the old dwarf and dark elves may just be there until either Grugni or Malekith get there release (and Phoenix guard for Tyrion)

like if Wanderers are out and Whitefang hint of Kurnothi is comming, it probably more of a targeted approach, wether it’s a complete replacement like Lumeneth or extension like DoK is unknown.

i don’t buy or bank the idea that future CoS update will update the other old armies outside of humans as not even CoS would get that luxury of multi waves in the future.

This is my opinion as well. They removed 90% of the High Elf models just prior to LRL coming out. Wanderers and Kurnothi are obviously thematically linked for similar reasons. We all expect all or most of the existing human models to get wiped out by the CoS release this year. It's really the same approach GW uses for all the other army ranges, stuff gets removed when it's being replaced and not before.

• Like 1