The Rumour Thread

24 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I also think Stormcast will remain in Starter Sets (much as I'd prefer it if they didn't) fur the simple reason that it'll start to push sales.

Think about 40k: Space Marines are by far the most played army, and I'd guess a lot of non-Space Marines have a Space Marine side army (in part because starter sets have [almost?] always included them), so when a new starter set is released with Space Marines in it, there's a big audience. If a new starter came with, say, Eldar vs. Tyranids there'd be a big part of the customer base who wouldn't want either half and hence would skip it.

Now SCE aren't at Space Marine levels of domination (thank Sigmar), but if be surprised if they aren't one of the most collected armies and one of the most common side armies too. Moreover every time GW releases a launch box with them in, that grows, which in turn makes future launch boxes with them in more financially appealing to GW. Basically it works very much suit GW for SCE to become as dominant as SM are, and pushing them in every launch box will likely hero in that.

Stormcasts and SM are popular because GW decided them to be.

If these two armies receive new minis every few months and in every starter set it's only natural that many people end up with having one.

Same works the other way around. Fyreslayers are not popular because they haven't received new minis other than foot heroes for the last 8 years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

If these two armies receive new minis every few months and in every starter set it's only natural that many people end up with having one.

Same works the other way around. Fyreslayers are not popular because they haven't received new minis other than foot heroes for the last 8 years.

I don't think it's actually that easy. 

For instance, and because the example is quite extreme, you could make Warhammer 40k's Genestealer Cult the most prolific army in term of diversity, it would still sell less than marines because, conceptually, ugly and dirty human alien hybrids miners would never sold as much as noble space knights in armor. 

Stormcasts are not only easy too paint, they are also simple and efficient as a design. 

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Pro acrylic white titanium is the best white on the market imo, every painter should have a bottle and it can be thinned down for the airbrush. 

Tho for painting white armour you don't want to undercoat white but a off white like grey seer, ulthan grey or vallejo light grey primer so you can highlight with white. 

Having said that I'm a big fan of apothecary white contrast paint. This apothecary (fittingly) was done with apothecary white over a white undercoat then just a bit of tidy up here and there. 

IMG_20230505_102443.jpg

Yes, it's better to start with grey. I don't remember exactly but I think I started with Mechanicus Standard Grey and then made most of the highlights with Administratum Grey. Finally added White Scar Air paint but to be sure I should check with my notebook.

received_664726084627434.jpeg

Edit:

Removed other pictures not to disturb "rumour thread" .

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

The Rumor Thread is getting really strange these days...

Let's be fair: it's not rumor thread for ages now. It's general discussion thread. If it was about rumors only this thread would be 30 pages long, not over 4100.

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Let's be fair: it's not rumor thread for ages now. It's general discussion thread. If it was about rumors only this thread would be 30 pages long, not over 4100.

I would also add that most of the "rumours" (what's in the picture? will they ever release this or that obscure army? pre-order this Saturday on next? chorfs confirmed! any chance for the magma-ponies this summer? next big dino and IDK sand whale - when? please be Malerion!) are the most boring part of the thread.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

Come on now, aren't we all already a bit fed up with how Kragnos has been completely dominating the narrative since his introduction at the start of the Era of the Beast with it's Destruction focus? I wish we could have just a little bit of narrative that isn't all about the great centaur god we are all blown away by...

You've got to be realistic, I'd love Age of Teclis as much as the next person, but it's clear GW hates Lumineth's guts.

1 hour ago, Aeryenn said:

Yes, it's better to start with grey. I don't remember exactly but I think I started with Mechanicus Standard Grey and then made most of the highlights with Administratum Grey. Finally added White Scar Air paint but to be sure I should check with my notebook.

received_664726084627434.jpeg

Edit:

Removed other pictures not to disturb "rumour thread" .

Grey is a trap. This was undercoated with the new white spray then shaded with space wolf grey contrast. I finally touched up with white scar. It took surprisingly little time. PXL_20230311_132730475.PORTRAIT.jpg.9790a306f1a956bd9a30ed8dc1a69ae7.jpg

Also next cities preview on Monday, followed by a similar biweekly pattern to Seraphon? 

• Like 14
  • LOVE IT! 8

26 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Also next cities preview on Monday, followed by a similar biweekly pattern to Seraphon? 

This is what I am hoping for. I would love to finally get a clearer picture of the army.

But I don't know if it's a realistic expectation given the time frame of the release. I don't know what the next date might be for a potential reveal show, but I think we might see another one that shows about half the army before the drip marketing starts.

14 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

This is what I am hoping for. I would love to finally get a clearer picture of the army.

But I don't know if it's a realistic expectation given the time frame of the release. I don't know what the next date might be for a potential reveal show, but I think we might see another one that shows about half the army before the drip marketing starts.

Next up - just show me the new war machines!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Chikout said:

If GW aligns its COS reveals schedule like Leagues of Votann pattern (which is currently the case), we should have the next Cities reveal in early June. I hope it will be sooner, but I prefer to be cautious.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Draznak said:

If GW aligns its COS reveals schedule like Leagues of Votann pattern (which is currently the case), we should have the next Cities reveal in early June. I hope it will be sooner, but I prefer to be cautious.

They did two lore previews in May. I'd take something like that for cities or Dawnbringers. 

For 40k they will probably show off the starter boxes that are inevitably coming and they will probably do a launch day stream with a couple of random units that will come out before the codexes. We got the killabow and the judicator prime in that timeframe and 40k got the weird buggy last time. 

3 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Are there any hints as to when the FEC vs SCE Warcry might be released, please?

I'm guessing they're up next after kill team. They're definitely coming in May. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Just in time for The Age of Sigmar End Times and Games Workshop's launch of they're new flagship fantasy setting Warhammer: Age of Kragnos*, set in the Immortal Realms, where Cuties of Sigmar (that's a phone typo but I kinda like it) are souped with Stormcast, Lumineth, KO, Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth to turn a completely new faction called Towns if Grungi 😄

*He's the only god I could think of who isn't from The Old World.

Something like a setting reset isn't *entirely* impossible. First they tried once, with Storm of Chaos, but retconned it. Then WHFB blew up anyway with the End Times, giving us AoS. But now with TOW on its way back...

To be clear, this is 100% not a rumour, just speculation, but it's hard to put it past GW to drop a 'rocks fall Archaon wins, everyone dies, time is an eternal circle so we need to restart the setting from a point where Archaon hasn't won' kinda moment on AoS to reintroduce TOW as their main Fantasy game.

From a financial standpoint, I guess their reasoning could be that AoS made a lot of old-school WHFB players invest again in new armies. But now dropping AoS for TOW could force AoS players to invest in new armies, on top of new sales from returning WHFB-ers. (To be clear again, I'm not sure if that is what actually happened when AoS launched. But still it's hard to put it past GW to reason that way.)

• Confused 6

6 hours ago, Koala said:

Yeah, but all that is beside the point when designing starter armies.

They are supposed to be painted by people without any experience or (expensive) equipment.

Thats why stormcast are so powerfull.

Basecoat (primer works for most of it anyway), shade/drybrush and they already look decent.

There arent many armies that can be that easy to paint. I recon just Orruk, OBR and Chaos Warriors - and the latter basically are Stormcast with spikes and stuff...

Old Imperium had that too, Dawnbringer looks too detailed by a lot. 

Completely agree!! I did find Kruleboyz to be a tad more difficult than the other starter armies. Stormcast and nighthaunt were extremely easy to paint for a beginner. OBR would have been a perfect starter army to paint, Seraphon sticks out me as well. I do think it is important that GW makes the starter armies relatively easy to paint. Its easy to forget what those beginning days of the hobby can be like!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

I broadly agree, which was kinda my point. It's in GW's interest to have a most popular faction because it makes shifting product easier. They can be fairly certain everything that contains SCE will sell fairly well since it's popular and, in turn, they make more SCE stuff because it'll sell well. That makes sales of those things more reliable.

That said, I don't think Fyreslayers wood ever have been that popular with their current aesthetic, even with a bunch of extra minis. They don't have the same broad appeal that "good guys in big armour" do.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EntMan said:

Come on now, aren't we all already a bit fed up with how Kragnos has been completely dominating the narrative since his introduction at the start of the Era of the Beast with its Destruction focus? I wish we could have just a little bit of narrative that isn't all about the great centaur god we are all blown away by...

Kragnos? Who's that?

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

I guess their reasoning could be that AoS made a lot of old-school WHFB players invest again in new armies

Oh, I am very much in doubt of that. Okd players will use their old armies, which remain up-to-date modelwise (big lol there)

New Players (from what I could gather) aren’t keen on old models and the lack of desperately needed model updates.

And then there’s me: They can go and old world themselves for all I care. They‘ve taken the wind out of the sails for that ship by daring to show me those old f*gly Bretonnian Knights - now only thrice the price!

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

To be clear, this is 100% not a rumour, just speculation, but it's hard to put it past GW to drop a 'rocks fall Archaon wins, everyone dies, time is an eternal circle so we need to restart the setting from a point where Archaon hasn't won' kinda moment on AoS to reintroduce TOW as their main Fantasy game.

That's really weird argument when everything that GW said about TOW focus on how it fits with Fantasy timeline and AoS.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Souleater said:

Are there any hints as to when the FEC vs SCE Warcry might be released, please?

The roadmap said Spring and Spring is often counted as ending at the end of May so presumable in the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Someravella said:

Kragnos? Who's that?

Although I'm a Kruleboyz convert Gordrakk needs to get his green buns in gear, gather those three artifacts (the nostalgia in me hopes one is Azogs old Nagash crown) and give pony boy a proper round two!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Oh, I am very much in doubt of that. Okd players will use their old armies, which remain up-to-date modelwise (big lol there)

New Players (from what I could gather) aren’t keen on old models and the lack of desperately needed model updates.

And then there’s me: They can go and old world themselves for all I care. They‘ve taken the wind out of the sails for that ship by daring to show me those old f*gly Bretonnian Knights - now only thrice the price!

Yep, at this point I am only interested in the books from a lore and art perspective. I didn't like those Bretonnian Knights back when they were new, I definitely don't want them now (compare them to Lumineth it Slaves to Darkness Knights).

Also they're decision to not only recast old plastic, but also resin and metal strongly suggests GW are not expecting TOW to replace AoS at the moment. That could change I guess, but I doubt it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Although I'm a Kruleboyz convert Gordrakk needs to get his green buns in gear, gather those three artifacts (the nostalgia in me hopes one is Azogs old Nagash crown) and give pony boy a proper round two!!

Doesn't Nagash have said crown? Not that I'd complain if it got nicked (especially if we could get a new Nagash model whilst we're at it).