The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

Something from the stream regarding the new 40k edition that is actually exciting for us is the fact that they said faction rules and datasheets (warscrolls) would be released free digitally on day one. They also talked about fundamental changes to their battleshock phase. (There's also a change to the command phase, but it seems more or less in line with what we already have.)

40k's Battleshock no longer causes models to flee, it instead makes them less effective at holding objectives, and may make them otherwise less effective in combat. If AoS adopts this change, that could be very interesting!

This sounds very interesting! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ArcLight said:

This sounds very interesting! 

I might be wrong, but I think in this case it's mostly just because the edition rules changes are so large that the old codexes are going to be basically unusable as-is, so it's necessary for GW to provide an updated version of all factions on day one.

2 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

When I saw the Killteam beastmen last night, I died a little inside.

Now  I can't decide if:

A) A planned Beasts of Chaos revamp was abandoned and the model sculpts are being recycled into other lines (ala Kragnos, Ogroid Theridans, and Killteam beastmen).

OR

B) There are a few designers that really love Beasts of Chaos as GW and they have been trying to provide some love for the faction by seeding new models for the BoC players by sliding them into other lines. 

Allow me to retort to this comment. First of all, I understand why BoC players feel like GW gave them the middle finger with the Beastmen Kill Team. Yeah I know, BoC lack of update has become a meme at this point and we all know why. But, consider this :

- GW has been (very slowly) releasing marked beatsmen. Yeah I know, so far it's been one type per edition, but it's there !
- GW functions with a "3D assets library" model. That's so they can have an unified art direction across multiple game systems, by allowing the sculptors to have references when designing new minis. Now, beastmen have entered the library. It would provide easy access to reference points for other BM sculpts in the future, should the need of them to be sculpted arise.
- GW likes to do early drafts of faction refreshes in skirmish games. So, beastmen in Kill Team... Not jumping to any conclusions, but it fits the bill...
- Finally, when I asked about Morghur here a bit ago, Whitefang haha reacted. Which means "future is still vague, but happy times ahead". 

These new 40k Beastmen are not a bad prank from GW to BoC in general. Thye're a new opportunity. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I'm ambivilent about her sculpt and story. Don't we already have a Vrykos vampire lord that has a thing for bats (Lady Annika). Besides Soulblight Gravelords needed another unique foot hero like I need another hole in my head. By my count this new Vamp Lord would make the 15th foot hero (13th unique) for Gravelords. Would have preferred a mid sized beast or a mounted hero. Or heck, a ranged hero? Anything really except another foot boss. Lets hope the new Battletome differentiated between them all instead, of 15 units with identical A4 H3 W3 R-1 Dam 2 melee profiles. 

Did I miss anyone?

Cado

Deintalos the Exile

Gorslav

King Velmourn

Kritza

Lady Annika

Necromancer

Prince Duvalle

Radukar the Wolf

Torgillius the Chamberlain

Vampire Lord (plus alternate Sculpt Anasta Malkorion)

Watch Captain Halgrim

Wight King

Heck Soulblight has more foot heroes than Flesheater Courts, Fyreslayers, and Ironjaws have for total UNITS in thier faction. 

Think you got them all and I'm 100% with you. I wouldn't have minded a new foot hero if they were going to bring something new, like a vampire ancient or something who would be more like old school WHFB vampire lords, but a new special character on foot was needed less than literally anything else.

11 minutes ago, madmac said:

I might be wrong, but I think in this case it's mostly just because the edition rules changes are so large that the old codexes are going to be basically unusable as-is, so it's necessary for GW to provide an updated version of all factions on day one.

To clarify, I mean the changes to battleshock. Seems like an interesting way of going about working it, although it does feel like AoS has been doing an increasingly good job of making battleshock relevant but not too punishing throughout this edition.

10 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

- Finally, when I asked about Morghur here a bit ago, Whitefang haha reacted. Which means "future is still vague, but happy times ahead".

I actually agree with everything else you're saying, but this reads like digital haruspicy or non-ironic version of my #PUDanon chorf copeposting - unless I've missed the Whitefang-English dictionary guide. I mean, he IS our oracle but sometimes a pipe is a pipe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

unless I've missed the Whitefang-English dictionary guide.

It can be easy to miss things in the pandemonium this thread has become since 12 hours. No worries. Hopefully, we had a translation from the man himself a while back :

On 3/21/2023 at 8:52 PM, Whitefang said:

Chill bro, when it’s hard to say right or wrong but there is certainly a happy time ahead, I laugh.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

It can be easy to miss things in the pandemonium this thread has become since 12 hours. No worries. Hopefully, we had a translation from the man himself a while back :

Well don't I now look foolish! My apologies friend - as a token of good will I'll attach a picture of me wolfing down on that humble pie!

RipeScentedIndochinesetiger-max-1mb.gif.a237621be81dc91f94bd6063e7251c4d.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Well don't I now look foolish! My apologies friend - as a token of good will I'll attach a picture of me wolfing down on that humble pie!

RipeScentedIndochinesetiger-max-1mb.gif.a237621be81dc91f94bd6063e7251c4d.gif

I SO want to laugh react this, but I'm all out for the day. 

So you'll have to make do with these: 🤣😂🤣😂

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

Don't we already have a Vrykos vampire lord that has a thing for bats (Lady Annika). Besides Soulblight Gravelords needed another unique foot hero like I need another hole in my head. By my count this new Vamp Lord would make the 15th foot hero (13th unique) for Gravelords.

Even sillier, it's hard to understand why they thought Vyrkos needed an 8th unique character while all other only have one. At least they could have given the Battletome a new Vyrkos themed cover...

Vyrkos:

- Belladamma Volga

- Gorslav

- Kritza

- Lady Annika

- Radukar (x2)

- Torgilius

- Halgrim

Avengorii:

- Lauka Vai

Kastelai:

- Prince Vhordai

Legion of Night:

- Mannfred

Legion of Blood:

- Neferata

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I was kinda surprised that the Sunblood and Eternity Warden didn't get new minis, but (assuming they survive to the new book and don't get dropped) they're almost guaranteed to be the obligatory single foot-hero release for the next time Seraphon get a Battletome.

After sleeping on it, I'm still unimpressed with the Dawnbringer armour design, but I've completely come around to how weird the faces look. Imagine you're some elite Chaos Warrior who's plagued the realms of mankind for centuries, backed up by daemons from ****** beyond your comprehension and riding a flesh-eating horse that shoots lasers out of its eyes, and the blokes who rock up to challenge your domain all look like this21d02e5fa93e2c9d3fca4b8b36727c16.jpg.50169e20f9ad0eb1a36acaa1d36a9e64.jpg

*BANG BANG*

"CAM ON DAWNBRINGERS. RECLAIM SOME FACKING REALMS"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Those aren't freeguilders. They're dawnbringers. Freeguilds are the standing armies and garrissons of the Cities of Sigmar, made up of professionnal soldiers. Dawnbringers meanwhile, are just regular blokes taking up arms for Sigmar to go and found new settlements in the prospect of a better life or religious goals. If those look more like conscripted peasants to you, that's... because that's what they are. 

No

these are ordinary freeguilders

you realize dawnbringer is a term can be applied to any faction participating in a dawnbringer crusade?

• Thanks 13

15 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Do people only use special characters as the special characters? 

I'll be using the new vampire as a Vyrkos vampire lord. 

I'd consider using her as her special character if it's good, but otherwise she seems ideas to sub in as a Vyrkos vampire yes.

• Like 1

I really love these little guys. The biggest complaint I’ve heard about AoS from a lore/world-building point of view is that up until now it’s missed the ordinary people. The relatable characters, the Average Joes (no offence intended to any Joes lurking around here 👀). The men and women down in the weeds, mucking out the Gryph dung, manning the ramparts, selling Ironweld junk (too soon?) to a dishonoured duardin behind The Crusty Clam. Obviously it’s early days but these three slap me around the face with all that. They’re so characterful! 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Not sure if there’s much I can add to what’s already been said, so I’ll focus on my three favourite parts of last night’s show.

Soulblight

I’ve been playing Von Carsteins since 6th edition, and Vyrkos are exactly what I’ve wanted with my Von Carsteins.  I love that bestial “straight outta folklore” Eastern European look.  I can think of other things I’d rather have over another character, but I really like this model a lot.  It hits the right notes for me, and she’ll definitely find a place in my army.

Tzeentch

My other army from 6th!  Soulblight’s my main army for AoS, but I really want to do a little Tzeentchian warband for small games.  These are exactly how I see Tzeentch, they’re perfect!

Cities

Straight outta Mordheim yo!  These guys scream City of the Damned to me, and immediately brought back a lot of nostalgic and fond memories of playing Mordheim in high school.

• Like 1

Soulblight are my second army after SCE …we did not need another vampire on foot. 

‘We’ll just give them a character’ does seem to have become a fixation for the codexes getting a quick update.

I don’t like the Dawnbringers. Feel like some of Mantic’s better sculpts stylistically?  

Seraphone while I don’t feel any emotion towards them are very crisp and technically excellent sculpts. Viva la space Lizards! Pleased for Slaanesh fans.

Edited by Souleater
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I was kinda surprised that the Sunblood and Eternity Warden didn't get new minis, but (assuming they survive to the new book and don't get dropped) they're almost guaranteed to be the obligatory single foot-hero release for the next time Seraphon get a Battletome.

After sleeping on it, I'm still unimpressed with the Dawnbringer armour design, but I've completely come around to how weird the faces look. Imagine you're some elite Chaos Warrior who's plagued the realms of mankind for centuries, backed up by daemons from ****** beyond your comprehension and riding a flesh-eating horse that shoots lasers out of its eyes, and the blokes who rock up to challenge your domain all look like this21d02e5fa93e2c9d3fca4b8b36727c16.jpg.50169e20f9ad0eb1a36acaa1d36a9e64.jpg

*BANG BANG*

"CAM AN AV A GOOOO IF YA FINK YA ARD ENUF!"

Is my new head canon for the war cry of a lowly peasant smushed into a breastplate too small as he sees a 8ft Chosen of the Dark Gods clad in fel magic armour slowly walk towards him with a mace 3x taller than him.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Cities of Sigmar. I. AM. IN. LOVE. It takes Mortal Humans to ground a setting and the WHFB leftovers just didnt fit and I honestly dont like the aesthetic when compared with AOS. But these guys? They took Empire and Brettonians and created this stunning hybrid that I cannot wait to see more of!!

100% this. I love how these feel like guys that somehow ended up on the frontlines with poorly made weapons and armour. The sword looks very basic and almost blunt. They are perfect to make the other armies feel more dangerous. These troops also seem relatively easy to paint in batches, thats a bonus.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

I SO want to laugh react this, but I'm all out for the day. 

So you'll have to make do with these: 🤣😂🤣😂

Thank you! Although I did deserve that pie, I who was SO sure of myself 😂

But one came with the receipts and played it off well, deserving all genuine praise - big props to @The Lost Sigmarite

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

*BANG BANG*

Lads going to "have a bit of banter" with the chaos boys...

• Haha 8