The Rumour Thread

I‘m not an expert on Saurus infantry but from what I can remember they never were that tall anyways? Regardless of their size, I think the new ones look absolutely great, not that my opinion helps those that find them too small. Anyways, I hope Seraphon players are happy with their size when they see them in the flesh, they might look more imposing outside of a photo comparison. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I‘m not an expert on Saurus infantry but from what I can remember they never were that tall anyways? Regardless of their size, I think the new ones look absolutely great, not that my opinion helps those that find them too small. Anyways, I hope Seraphon players are happy with their size when they see them in the flesh, they might look more imposing outside of a photo comparison. 

As I recall they were not tall in the lore, but only because they were naturally hunched over. Think they were supposed to be very tall if they were to stand straight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Goatforce said:

As I recall they were not tall in the lore, but only because they were naturally hunched over. Think they were supposed to be very tall if they were to stand straight.

I can only go by the old minis - I don‘t know enough about their lore, just the basics but not their supposed size. I‘ve always thought they were very chunky/imposing creatures (and big/tall but not „too“ tall if that makes sense) especially because they‘re leaning forward in their stance. 

Anyways, maybe the Kroxigors will scratch that itch - they should be truly massive after all. All I can really say is that I really like the new Sauruses. If I wasn‘t so lazy, I‘d be tempted to get some myself. 😇

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MitGas said:

...(strictly speaking, NL aren‘t exactly likely to devote themselves like that but there are surely exceptions)...

Trivia: in the original Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness fluff, the Night Lords are noted as being dedicated to the Blood God. Their pauldrons are depicted as being red with black bats and yellow Khorne symbols.

(That obviously changed, with modern lore being that the Night Lords are - on average - a legion which looks down on the Ruinous Powers as a somewhat useful but dangerous tool.)

aSlavesToDarkness.jpg.d9f6e6762b3a49ab3197fcee34d18bfc.jpg

(Death Guard and Thousand Sons not shown presumably because they'd be heavily featured in the second volume of Realm of ChaosRealm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned.)

• Thanks 1

With the Gitz book I think they missed the mark on the moon, again. Its still random (fine) with pretty weak buffs for such a random mechanic (outside of 4+ rally). They still had to put in redundancy to get those effects too, which is a symptom of the problem.
That said the book looks very good overall, The warscrolls really were beefed up to 11, and with the great subfactions, CTs and artefacts there's a lot to love. A particular build has the potential to be really toxic I think though, Clammy hand + Kings Gitz + blobs of bounderz/grots/hoppers. Everything rallies on a 4+, you can rally everything, and you have a 75% chance to bring back a thing twice every turn.
Spiders really got shafted though, I thought they'd figured this out after KB failed and splintered fang were great but no. Spider riders still remain unchanged, the buffs to your mortal wounds are weaker and arguably harder to apply (thanks to generally weaker casting), and the only damage buff they got was changing arachnarok bites from d3 to 3 damage. As a reference unbuffed skitterstrands will struggle to kill 10 wound screens (average 7.33 damage vs 4+ save so you better pick stomp and pray). Spiders got some great utility tools, so I think they may start showing up in a few more lists, but an all spider force just doesn't have any output. 

The BoC book is pure hype for me though, the only downer is the points of a couple units.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, Jagged Red Lines said:

I saw this the other day and it got me thinking.

What if a lot of the AoS releases recently are actually just stuff they've been designing for old world and releasing as it's ready. 

I mean, it's not just the seraphon stuff. Look at all the slaves to darkness and soulblight.

Also, it could be the reason that we're getting snarlfang riders and no other gitmob. They're in the process of redesigning old world grots, but that's the only kit that's ready for now.

Screenshot_20230127-153431_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wolf riders could be more akin to hobgrots too, like maybe they'll get their own book down the road. Gitmob and grotbag could share a book, and spiders could do double duty because everyone thinks they're wierd. 

So that's two chieftains, two Underworlds warbands, a warcry warband and the warqueen. It's high time gw made enough to field a Darkoath army. It's a very cool mini and it's annoying that I probably won't be able to get hold of it. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

So that's two chieftains, two Underworlds warbands and a warcry warband. It's high time gw made enough to field a Darkoath army. It's a very cool mini and it's annoying that I probably won't be able to get hold of it. 

The Godsworn Hunt is the first for underworlds but what is the second one? Can't remember another Underworlds Darkoath Warband

Edited by Matrindur

3 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The Godsworn Hunt is the first for underworlds but what is the second one? Can't remember another Underworlds Darkoath Warband

Gnarlspirit Pack from the latest season's starter.

60010799018_EngWHUGnarlwoodGroup1.jpgDoes kind of feel like we'll have Chaos Dwarfs before a generic Darkoath replacement kit for Marauders, eh?

Edited by Clan's Cynic

36 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Hmm... now the question is do I try to go to a GW event (I work in Nottingham so it's pretty easy, assuming they'll have these minis at the regular Warhammer World events), or just eat the cost of buying one on eBay.

Not that fussed about the commissar. He's nice, but not that exciting.

If you're in Nottingham anyway then it's probably worth the extra little cost for going to one of the events compare to the ebay mark up, personally I'd much rather spend the extra money one me getting to enjoy an event and get the mini as opposed to paying for someone else to do so. Birmingham and Nottingham are both close enough to me that I'd much rather just go to the UKGE or a Warhammer World event to get one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LordSolarMach said:

Trivia: in the original Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness fluff, the Night Lords are noted as being dedicated to the Blood God. Their pauldrons are depicted as being red with black bats and yellow Khorne symbols.

(That obviously changed, with modern lore being that the Night Lords are - on average - a legion which looks down on the Ruinous Powers as a somewhat useful but dangerous tool.)

aSlavesToDarkness.jpg.d9f6e6762b3a49ab3197fcee34d18bfc.jpg

(Death Guard and Thousand Sons not shown presumably because they'd be heavily featured in the second volume of Realm of ChaosRealm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned.)

Awesome, thanks for the short and informative trip 👍 - I started only after Realm of Chaos unfortunately, so I know very little from those books. Basically just what got regurgitated in the Liber Chaotica books/libri chaoticae. 

On 1/27/2023 at 2:10 AM, Still-young said:

I might cry. Saurus Warriors were my first Warhammer kit ever, these are such a good update. And that Slann! And new feathered dinos! And that’s not even half the new models!

Same for me!!! And if it's going to be a big release well. I've been wanting to try a joint project with my partner, who has been lamenting the lack of color on my Stormcast, for some wilder color schemes. Really really hoping we see more of the astral/starborne aspect come out too 👀

• LOVE IT! 1

On 1/27/2023 at 3:00 AM, Lucentia said:

As a resident DoK fan I will take a 3rd underworlds squad I guess, always happy to paint some DoK and I enjoy seeing iterations on their base design elements.  However, it's definitely the weakest of the 3 DoK teams available, almost feels more like a season 1 team where they were pulling design cues from only a single unit type. (Sisters of slaughter, in this case.)  Mixing in a harpy or snake-elf in there would've gone a long way, I think.

how is this the 3rd? only Morgwaeth's Blade Coven is DOK in Underworlds. what am I missing?

On 1/27/2023 at 1:00 AM, Lucentia said:

As a resident DoK fan I will take a 3rd underworlds squad I guess, always happy to paint some DoK and I enjoy seeing iterations on their base design elements.  However, it's definitely the weakest of the 3 DoK teams available, almost feels more like a season 1 team where they were pulling design cues from only a single unit type. (Sisters of slaughter, in this case.)  Mixing in a harpy or snake-elf in there would've gone a long way, I think.

It's so boring. Hag queen and witch elves again? Really? If they were going to do another DoK gang it should have been all Khinerai or warlocks or something remotely interesting.

• Like 5

Totally deflated my hype for Underworlds.

I agree, it's just more witches (I have the first warband already). I didn't even care enough to read their cards

Malerion's side would have been awesome. But even something like Executioners would have been cool and different from Morgwaeth

• Like 4

Ahem, excuse me, these are clearly sisters of slaughter, not witch aelves!  Sure, they might use the exact same bodies, weapons, and be virtually indistinguishable from one another, but they are a separate unit...  There's actually a sister of slaughter already in the 1st DoK warband, which only makes this one feel weirder.

My bigger complaint is kinda silly, but calling them Arenai when that '-ai' suffix has previously only been used for the DoK mutants, to my knowledge, is a little strange, I wanted more weird elves!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:50 AM, Still-young said:

I was fairly lukewarm on the missile marines but after seeing the very negative reaction to them, the contrarian in me quite likes them. 

I do think 40k fans could stand to accept the ridiculousness of the setting a biiit more instead of seeing it as this self-serious epitome of "mature" scifi... I laughed out loud when I saw those marines, the concept sure is SOMETHING. But you know what? if 40k wants to establish that everything in the universe wants to kill humanity? you're gonna end up with rocket launchers on top of chainguns that maybe also shoot rockets

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1