The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

I pretty sure they been affected already over the last three year, lost of writer, lack of quality, sporadic releases, and lack of new long tuning series have been plaguing BL.

probably why there isn’t many AoS novel release to begin with and the one that are release are really lacking.

AOS really needs more ongoing series. We have Gotrek and now the Mhurghast series.

• Like 1

We need more Hamilcar! (And Gardus)

I think we’re okay on releases though, just off the top of my head we got 5 like Kragnos and Godbane, 10 short stories(5 were free for a month) and we know the upcoming ones with the Hollowking vampire & Kharadron adventurer.

They just got hit hard by the pandemic and the move from Chinese materials has made all the paper stuff on Black Library disappear.

So just a tough time in general but I hardly think that’s on the book ends.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

44 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

We need more Hamilcar! (And Gardus)

I think we’re okay on releases though, just off the top of my head we got 5 like Kragnos and Godbane, 10 short stories(5 were free for a month) and we know the upcoming ones with the Hollowking vampire & Kharadron adventurer.

They just got hit hard by the pandemic and the move from Chinese materials has made all the paper stuff on Black Library disappear.

So just a tough time in general but I hardly think that’s on the book ends.

HAMILCAAAAR!! Sweet Sigmar I hope we get more of the Bear Eater!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re looking for a good BL novel that came out recently Prince Maesa is amazing. I bought it as an audio book on Audible just because I had an extra credit. But upon listening to it I was enraptured and it held my attention far more than other AoS offerings I’d read or listened to. I personally think Prince Maesa is the best AoS novel I’ve experienced so far. It has great characters excellent character progression and meaningful interaction. It focuses on Wanderers and Sylvaneth but touches on Kharadron, Dispossessed, Lumineth/Setterler’s gain, a tiny bit of Idoneth and a smidge of Alarielle and Nagash. I kept thinking it wasn’t going to stick the landing at the end, but then it did. I’ve ordered the physical hardback just because I enjoyed it so much I want to read it. I’d love a sequel, but I almost think it should remain a one off.

0D3F8AC1-A86A-4349-833E-9481A823109B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

Oh right and the Vulture Lord just came out recently too.(very fun for Death fans, just like “Dynasty of Monsters” is more than happy to put Order through a very different lens)

image.jpeg.6e347f337c5682fa7d96a858d818c64e.jpeg

This has actually been a good year for AoS books when you add them all up and it started out strong this year with Soulslayer’s announcement.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Ledgington said:

If you’re looking for a good BL novel that came out recently Prince Maesa is amazing. I bought it as an audio book on Audible just because I had an extra credit. But upon listening to it I was enraptured and it held my attention far more than other AoS offerings I’d read or listened to. I personally think Prince Maesa is the best AoS novel I’ve experienced so far. It has great characters excellent character progression and meaningful interaction. It focuses on Wanderers and Sylvaneth but touches on Kharadron, Dispossessed, Lumineth/Setterler’s gain, a tiny bit of Idoneth and a smidge of Alarielle and Nagash. I kept thinking it wasn’t going to stick the landing at the end, but then it did. I’ve ordered the physical hardback just because I enjoyed it so much I want to read it. I’d love a sequel, but I almost think it should remain a one off.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've got an audible credit spare...

1 hour ago, Ledgington said:

Excellent recommendation mate Ill be picking this up!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cyrus said:

From Chaos daemons codex leaks should be no new units , they even dropped furies of chaos. But They will probably have at least one update model/miniature.

New daemon prince should be released soon together with CSM second wave

Start collecting daemons of khorne and daemons of nurgle are no longer available/listed on webstore, so it will have likely a new vanguard/combat patrol box.

9 hours ago, Chikout said:

Every codex except Imperial Knights has launched with at least one new mini. A lot of the details of the chaos Deamons book have leaked and there's no sign of a new mini but it's always possible that an existing mini will get a resculpt. I was under the impression that they are the next book out, before Leagues of Votann. If there is a mini coming, it's surprising they haven't announced it yet. 

Thank you both for the info! 😀

I am interested in what a Demon Vanguard/Combat Patrol would look like? If it was a singular release I assume it would be undivided but maybe they will do something strange like opposing gods ala Wrath and Rapture? As I said I could maybe imagine the lesser demons and a DP? Maybe Nurglings instead of Plague Bearers?

Edited by Neverchosen

7 hours ago, novakai said:

Something that was not mention on the report but show on the numbers is that Black library sales have gone significantly down over the years

I'm curious how this is measured. Does it include audible and sales in independent stores? In the last 6 years I've read  or listened to more than 50 Warhammer books but I only bought one direct from the black library website.

6 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

AOS really needs more ongoing series. We have Gotrek and now the Mhurghast series.

I wish I were a competent enough writer as I have really thought about developing a narrative based around the Aeneid based around a fallen City of Sigmar. I think it would be a really interesting set of tails about the rise, fall and diaspora of a city in the mortal realms. 

At the centre would be the tale of a Stormcast Eternal and Chaos Champion who were siblings before their destinies took them along opposite conflicting paths that always result. Also there would be branching narratives as different paths taken by survivors lead into different realms with new threats, dangers and death resulting in new narrative potential with Nagash and Sigmar vying for the souls of the survivors.

Destruction is always a weird neutral force in my head that is dangerous but not truly malevolant. 

Unfortunately my prose stylings are not worth much and my imagination is locked behind my lack of skill or articulation.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Chikout said:

I'm curious how this is measured. Does it include audible and sales in independent stores? In the last 6 years I've read  or listened to more than 50 Warhammer books but I only bought one direct from the black library website.

We only got a third party trade revenue figure and that does not include sales direct from the BL website so at minimum that number is not included. The revenue numbers for the BL site or likely online affiliates like audible and ebook stuff doesnt seem to be in the report because it's included with their general online sales numbers which isn't broken down.

"Online: this includes sales through the Group’s global web stores, our online subscription service (Warhammer+) and digital sales through external affiliates."

The third party trade revenue number was 2.3/2.4 million pound for 2021, 2020, 2019 which is more revenue than all previous years, and definitely not "gone significantly down over the years"

Global supply disruption damaged the physical book side of BL and especially it seems with large volume sales to third party trade.

But this can't really be used to say BL is writing things people don't like, or that BL is doomed, because digital sales have grown.

"After a record performance last year, Black Library, our novel publishing division, struggled in the face of global supply disruption with many key new releases arriving later than planned. Underlying sales continue to grow, especially in the digital space."

So in the scenario without this global supply disruption BL would probably have improved on last years sales as the physical side of things would not be dragging the overall number down.

Someone on reddit made a poor analysis of the report and now half the community thinks BL is crashing and burning and no one wants to read their stuff anymore lol

Edited by derpherp
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I wish I were a competent enough writer as I have really thought about developing a narrative based around the Aeneid based around a fallen City of Sigmar. I think it would be a really interesting set of tails about the rise, fall and diaspora of a city in the mortal realms. 

At the centre would be the tale of a Stormcast Eternal and Chaos Champion who were siblings before their destinies took them along opposite conflicting paths that always result. Also there would be branching narratives as different paths taken by survivors lead into different realms with new threats, dangers and death resulting in new narrative potential with Nagash and Sigmar vying for the souls of the survivors.

Destruction is always a weird neutral force in my head that is dangerous but not truly malevolant. 

Unfortunately my prose stylings are not worth much and my imagination is locked behind my lack of skill or articulation.

Sounds beautiful mate. Set your mind to it and keep practicing. Id love to see your name on a Black Library novel some day, your writing and ideas here always paint vivid pictures in my imagination, if you work more on them theres no stopping you mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Thank you both for the info! 😀

I am interested in what a Demon Vanguard/Combat Patrol would look like? If it was a singular release I assume it would be undivided but maybe they will do something strange like opposing gods ala Wrath and Rapture? As I said I could maybe imagine the lesser demons and a DP? Maybe Nurglings instead of Plague Bearers?

Vanguard/Combat patrol are a bit richer than start collecting : expect 1  existing hero , and 2/3 existing units (it depends how elite are the units) 

Wrath and rapture was khorne vs slaanesh so it possible we could see a  nurgle vs tzeentch box

The following resin miniatures are a good candidate for resculpt :

Herald of slaanesh

Fluxmaster, herald of tzeentch

The blue scribes

Herald of khorne on jaggernaut

Epidemius

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, derpherp said:

We only got a third party trade revenue figure and that does not include sales direct from the BL website so at minimum that number is not included. The revenue numbers for the BL site or likely online affiliates like audible and ebook stuff doesnt seem to be in the report because it's included with their general online sales numbers which isn't broken down.

"Online: this includes sales through the Group’s global web stores, our online subscription service (Warhammer+) and digital sales through external affiliates."

The third party trade revenue number was 2.3/2.4 million pound for 2021, 2020, 2019 which is more revenue than all previous years, and definitely not "gone significantly down over the years"

Global supply disruption damaged the physical book side of BL and especially it seems with large volume sales to third party trade.

But this can't really be used to say BL is writing things people don't like, or that BL is doomed, because digital sales have grown.

"After a record performance last year, Black Library, our novel publishing division, struggled in the face of global supply disruption with many key new releases arriving later than planned. Underlying sales continue to grow, especially in the digital space."

So in the scenario without this global supply disruption BL would probably have improved on last years sales as the physical side of things would not be dragging the overall number down.

Someone on reddit made a poor analysis of the report and now half the community thinks BL is crashing and burning and no one wants to read their stuff anymore lol

I'm sure there are quite a few so called influencers who misread the whole report and are proclaiming GW is going out of business! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

I'm sure there are quite a few so called influencers who misread the whole report and are proclaiming GW is going out of business! 

Is this were they tell me to stop giving my money to GW, but give it to their patreon instead?

I jest, I jest....

I rather like the little line of text in the new Warcry article for the Horns of Hashut, stating the leader of the group must be given the biggest of hats.

I'm sure this means our tyranny enjoyers will keep their stupendously exquisite hats.

• Like 3

Some tidbits from the 'Designing the Warbands' article for War Cry.

The followers of the Father of Darkness are the opposite of the Rotmire Creed – lots of metals, including bronze and iron, protective gear such as padded leather corselets, and a desire to destroy rather than create… though the things the Creed “create” are nasty enough. Unlike the outcast followers of Lord Leech, the Horns of Hashut openly display the markings of their bullish god.

While they may disagree on almost everything, one thing the Ruinator Alpha shares with their opposite number is the resolution that, as a warband leader, they should have the biggest hat. Known as the hashutaar, these holy helms are only worn by the Father of Darkness’ most valued warriors. Their armour, too, is covered in duardin runes of protection – they’ve even got hoof-shaped toe caps.

The Warhammer Studio: Hashut is a god of tyranny and fire. Showing fighters at visibly different levels demonstrates how his followers’ beliefs affect their hierarchy – in their society and their armies.

FkUqXTw0iSYfhioO.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

45 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Some tidbits from the 'Designing the Warbands' article for War Cry.

FkUqXTw0iSYfhioO.jpg

Are we to assume that there will be 8 Warbands this Season instead of 10?

1 minute ago, novakai said:

my guess for the next one would be Legionaries vs whatever Destruction army gets their tome in Autumn that isn't Sons. probably Ogors with random Gnoblars built in

As an Ogor fan, I dont really care for Gnoblars. I hope its just 6 brutish Maneaters. Of course itll probably be 1 Leader, 3 Ogors and then 5 or 6 Gnoblars.

also for rumors (take it with salt) there something about a Killteam box between Inquisition (Gland Warriors) vs World eater Khorngors.

going by how they did Tzaangors for DoT and Thousand sons, maybe relevant to Blades of Khorne and why they are slated much later in the edition.

• LOVE IT! 1

14 minutes ago, novakai said:

also for rumors (take it with salt) there something about a Killteam box between Inquisition (Gland Warriors) vs World eater Khorngors.

going by how they did Tzaangors for DoT and Thousand sons, maybe relevant to Blades of Khorne and why they are slated much later in the edition.

New Khorngors would be damn epic!! Especially if they were similar to the Blood Bowl minis.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, novakai said:

my guess for the next one would be Legionaries vs whatever Destruction army gets their tome in Autumn that isn't Sons. probably Ogors with random Gnoblars built in warband

I'm 90% sure that the Legionnaires aren't part of a box set. They are a separate release who will probably come alongside the compendium. Check out this quote. It doesn't sound like 3 months later. Screenshot_20220729-004935.png.125dc5455747f3c0afcefb440cfc935a.png

19 minutes ago, novakai said:

I'll pour a silo full of salt for that one, since the timing of it being said immediately after people figured out the Rumour Engine was from an old Inquisitor (game) model seems suspect.

• Like 2