The Rumour Thread

I am at work and have this on my phone glancing every few minutes with a big dumb Be'Lakor styled Grin!

I literally am happy about everything! I am curious what will come from new Warcry and what will be S2D specific. I really hope we get some new marauders though... but then again I do not run them and would likely run proxies if I did.

Still this is like christmas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

49 minutes ago, Enoby said:

It looks like a really great release for Slaves to Darkness players (including myself). Will definitely be picking up the new units.

Not sure if I like the Daemon Prince model (but the pictures I've seen aren't high quality so that may change), but the Daemon Prince warscrolls looks pretty weak without context unfortunately (average of 3 damage against a 3+ save with no real tricks, and losing inbuilt always strike first and +1 to hit on a charge).  

Yeah I hate to say it but the rules for the prince look kinda... really bad? They already weren't particularly good to begin with outside the Khorne prince, but they've nerfed it pretty significantly. I'm happy that they got rid of the Khorne command ability (it never made even a lick of sense, Khorne keeping the enemy units OUT of combat? really?) but it was pretty much the only reason you took a prince. Having all their interesting abilities shifted to heroic actions and giving them a super bland combat profile is pretty concerning. Like the Maggoth lord mounts are drastically better fighters than the prince is. Their mounts are better fighters than a daemon prince. There's still a lot to be seen of course, it's possible the re-worked allegiance abilities make a big difference and maybe they got a big points drop but it's a shaky start for sure. 

I am super excited for plastic chosen though. I've wanted some of them for years but never had the bits pile required to do justice on a proper conversion. More ogroids are always appreciated too, a hard hitting glass cannon elite unit would be great for the faction assuming they don't get the slaangor treatment. Assuming the warriors (and hopefully marauders) get a proper resculpt I'm really looking forward to the release.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Yeah I hate to say it but the rules for the prince look kinda... really bad? They already weren't particularly good to begin with outside the Khorne prince, but they've nerfed it pretty significantly. I'm happy that they got rid of the Khorne command ability (it never made even a lick of sense, Khorne keeping the enemy units OUT of combat? really?) but it was pretty much the only reason you took a prince. Having all their interesting abilities shifted to heroic actions and giving them a super bland combat profile is pretty concerning. Like the Maggoth lord mounts are drastically better fighters than the prince is. Their mounts are better fighters than a daemon prince. There's still a lot to be seen of course, it's possible the re-worked allegiance abilities make a big difference and maybe they got a big points drop but it's a shaky start for sure. 

I am super excited for plastic chosen though. I've wanted some of them for years but never had the bits pile required to do justice on a proper conversion. More ogroids are always appreciated too, a hard hitting glass cannon elite unit would be great for the faction assuming they don't get the slaangor treatment. Assuming the warriors (and hopefully marauders) get a proper resculpt I'm really looking forward to the release.

The Daemon Prince going to 10 wounds is a massive nerf in itself. It screws with batallions since its no longer a subcommander, cant benefit from cover or look-out sir either. It even lost the talon attacks. 

Im so glad the bloodslick ground ability is gone, but I was hoping for a significantly beefer statprofile after having played Total War,

The Nurgle one is pretty strong though, although it depends on what points. Being able to remove ward saves on whatever your hammer is going into is pretty huge. 

Edited by Kasper
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Grimrock said:

I agree. I don't want to be a downer about this because model-wise this all looks really exciting, and I have a massive S2D collection so this should all be up my alley.

On the other hand though, I'm worried this may end up as a Slaanesh 2, wherein the models are great but the rules... kind of not so much.

Now, we cannot say anything for definite with just a single bad scroll without the context of the rest of the book. Maybe the "Mark of Chaos" ability will double all attacks, or there'll be a special faction that massively buffs daemon princes, or the prince is only 150 points - there's loads we don't know. No arguments there and I really hope my gut reaction is wrong, but I'm just getting a bit of a sinking feeling when the generic big bad of Slaves to Darkness is kind of... bad? 

It seems to have lost some good abilities while gaining 2 wounds (which could be a bad thing in some circumstances). I don't think it has the monster keyword (hard to tell with potato cam) either, and its damage is poor. One of my biggest hopes would be that a daemon prince felt closer to Belekor in power level, but now it seems like that won't be the case. 

Again, maybe it'll all be fine and this will seem silly once the full rules are out - and I hope that's the case - but I got the same feeling I did looking at Slaangors as I did this daemon prince. The feeling of "oh... is that it?".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I agree. I don't want to be a downer about this because model-wise this all looks really exciting, and I have a massive S2D collection so this should all be up my alley.

On the other hand though, I'm worried this may end up as a Slaanesh 2, wherein the models are great but the rules... kind of not so much.

Now, we cannot say anything for definite with just a single bad scroll without the context of the rest of the book. Maybe the "Mark of Chaos" ability will double all attacks, or there'll be a special faction that massively buffs daemon princes, or the prince is only 150 points - there's loads we don't know. No arguments there and I really hope my gut reaction is wrong, but I'm just getting a bit of a sinking feeling when the generic big bad of Slaves to Darkness is kind of... bad? 

It seems to have lost some good abilities while gaining 2 wounds (which could be a bad thing in some circumstances). I don't think it has the monster keyword (hard to tell with potato cam) either, and its damage is poor. One of my biggest hopes would be that a daemon prince felt closer to Belekor in power level, but now it seems like that won't be the case. 

Again, maybe it'll all be fine and this will seem silly once the full rules are out - and I hope that's the case - but I got the same feeling I did looking at Slaangors as I did this daemon prince. The feeling of "oh... is that it?".

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. It wouldn't take too much. I mean if the mark of khorne stays more or less the same and there's a new artifact that gives one weapon rend -3 and he'd go from super meh to fantastic, but seeing these stats on face value just gives a super sinking feeling.

Also someone posted a high res image on reddit, he is definitely missing the monster keyword. For some reason. If they leave it on the Fomoroid or the Mindstealer but he doesn't get it... yeesh. 

4 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Who's this guy? I don't recognize it.

50287146_WhatsAppImage2022-04-29at10_54_46.jpeg.b01733de0913067a666175bdb4f9f60b.jpg

Looks like a non-wing version of the prince to me. Foot position is the same and it looks like it has a skull rack on the back (which is the alternate option to wings). Could be wrong though.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I am fine being the underdog player in my group. So long as the rules are cool and lore appropriate. That is my issue with S2D current rules they are a little stale and lackluster. The number of damned legions has me very hopeful!

Although, I feel like the only rule that needs to exist for chaos in AOS, Fantasy or 40k is that enemies get d3 wounds for charging a metal wall of spikey soldiers. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

It is worth noting that the DP has never been a powerhouse on its own. The power lies within its individuality which other daemons lack. Tracing time back to WHFB it was a fairly mid tier choice and was more of a flexible support piece with a lot of speed on its side. I get what you're saying though and have similar feelings to when I saw the Vampire Lord profiles in AoS but it makes sense. AoS is a much deadlier place than the old world and DPs are now contending with the offspring of a god-beast (the magmadroths).

That said, so far we have nothing on marks, allegiances, or sub factions + other interactions (traits, abilities, relics, etc). As long a the points are fair I'm good.

• Like 3

If the rules follow the last 5 battletomes they will be fine and lore appropriate. 

As always, we don't know how other rules interact or the army abilities. 

Besides, with a model that looks ad good as the demon prince, it could have the hitting power of a goblin and I'll still have one in the army!!! 

• Like 1

Not a massive fan of the new Prince, looks a bit gormless - like they've been sent down to battle but got concussion on the landing so decided to pose for a while. Think it's mostly just the face and its expression, so I'm really hoping for alternative heads.

tU9lBtHekMZbuhWF.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

Not a massive fan of the new Prince, looks a bit gormless - like they've been sent down to battle but got concussion on the landing so decided to pose for a while. Think it's mostly just the face and its expression, so I'm really hoping for alternative heads.

tU9lBtHekMZbuhWF.jpg

I tend to find with some of the newer models where it looks “meh” you need to see it in person. I always change my opinion once this has happened!

• Like 7