The Rumour Thread

15 minutes ago, stato said:

So, general consensus is pricing is for Shadowspear now out the 'autobuy' or 'buy 3!!!' range, especially without a big hardback rulebook included but still has good value for many gamers/collectors/hobbyists. 

What do we think this means for AoS?  will we get a set like this for AoS this year, or is it still too close to Soulwars release?  In the past id have said its too close but GW is pumping things out at a rapid pace and im starting to think we might get one this year.

A box like Shadowspear exists only because 2019 is a blank year: read blank as "empty", meaning no major release for AoS or 40K. AoS has got his main box last year, 40K was before, so next 40K is next year. We won't see a big box full of new minis for AoS.

BTW, it is more likely to see more dual armies boxes like the previous Carrion Empire which was EXCELENT. So were wake the dead, forgebane etc...

We'll also have a "new" army with Darkoath, which is closer to a refresh of StD/Everchosen with some barbarian additions (and Endless spells and maybe a decor)

8 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

Where is the idea that there is any impending new aelf faction release coming from? Is it just that they have appeared in the lore?

I believe GW mentioned that one new army was coming recently, plus in the main rule book and the Daughters of Khine book there are two further factions of Aelves revealed. One is "dark" and one is "light" as befits their patron aelven gods. It's heavily hinted that the mistweaver model we've seen might well be representative of the dark group who make the main population of the shadow realm (Morathi and her Daughters of Khaine also reside there, but they are a much smaller portion of the population by far). 

What we don't know is what iwll happen to the legacy Aelf models. GW could reform them into the United Aleven Alliance rather like who the Gloomspite Battletome came out; they could wrap some into the new armies (eagles pulling sky chariots would fit very nicely with an angelic army of aelves) and they might well drop some too. It's very hard to say as all the subfactions do have lore behind them and its clear that the original plan at the start of AoS was to have each on their own as very small armies. 

With that plan gone we've no idea where GW will take things. I could see some alliances forming - eg putting scourge privateers with the Idoneth would be a neat trick (the Idoneth reaching out to use the Scourge as a visible force that sail the high seas and, whilst they might not trust each other, they'd at least form a united sea based force that can stand together on the battlefield). 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

I believe GW mentioned that one new army was coming recently, 

Does anyone have a link to this? I don't remember seeing it.

The impression that I get is that this is all based on them being mentioned in various books.  We know (from Nick Horth on stormcast) that the writers nest stuff into the books for potential inspiration for the miniatures designers at some undetermined point down the line, but it definitely doesn't have any bearing on how likely they are to be released soon, otherwise we would have grotbag scuttlers.

I could be wrong, but this seems like one of those situations where the community works itself up into a fervour about something with no real indication it's happening, then convinces itself that everything is a clue towards that end, and then blames GW when something they never promised fails to materialise.

I agree that Black Library authors do add factions, make their own twists and are encouraged to do so. GW also places things like a Skaven clan with captured KO airships as ideas for conversions; however the dark and light aelves are right in the big rulebook itself and a lot is made of the pantheon of aelven gods (and Morathi) as being a key part of the AoS story in relation to Slaanesh and Chaos. The Dark Aelves are also pegged as the primary population of the shadow realm. 

As for the official news I can't recall where specifically but I think it was mentioned in one of the updates

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/08/8th-feb-lvo-studio-preview-2019-revealed-new-chaos-space-marines-sisters-of-battle-and-moregw-homepage-post-1/

That one at least confirms new armies are coming and the Dark and Light Aelven armies are the only full factions we've heard anything of from the Mortal Realms. Barring various human based outposts, though most think that FreePeoples would come long before GW released another human based force. 

The Light Aelves and Shadow Aelves mentions in the rule book and several battletomes (e.g. Idoneth Deepkin) make them a pretty solid part of the setting, so I think the chances of them getting proper army releases is pretty high. That said, IMO most people are assuming they'll come much sooner than they actually will. Their lore is all about planting potential seeds for the future of AOS, not teasing upcoming stuff. The obvious thing GW's building to story-wise is Slaanesh breaking free, and the two new Aelf factions emerging to fight him. But that feels like a major campaign and a big moment for the setting, so I think it's a way off - like 2020 at the earliest - to give the Soul Wars storyline a chance to go somewhere first. 

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that's how I read it all! 

Edited by robinlvalentine
  • Like 3

Slaanesh doesn't have to break free though. In fact when you look at how the Chaos Gods interact with the Mortal world then all five of them operate in quite the same way - they don't. They keep back and let their greater demons do the legwork and compete for their attention. Slaanesh being Imprisoned hasn't stopped the greater demons at all, if anything its created a really neat situation where some are seeking the prison to release their master and others are trying to gain control and replace Slaanesh. 

With them alone there's enough story for GW to work with to have an epic campaign whereby a great Slaanesh Greater Demon declares war on the Shadow Realm and leads a huge invasion force etc.... Or any one of a number of other stories. 

The Chaos Gods are always in the background, always playing the long game. Even the Horned Rat has only appeared a handful of times to his minions, instead its the mighty Verminlords who deal most of the day to say affairs. 

So they can keep the prison going, indeed I think they will keep it going for a long while yet, but it will be a festering wound situation that will steadily get worse and worse. 

• Thanks 1

The question of brand new armies vs updated classics is an interesting one.  There's some obvious examples of brand new armies, like Ironjawz, Deepkin, Fyreslayers, ect.

And some obvious classic armies like Skaven, Beasts of Chaos, or Seraphon.

OTOH, there's some in-between options that I'm not sure how GW classifies them. You have for example FEC and Beastclaw Raiders, new army concepts using entirely old sculpts. You also have releases like Daughters of Khaine or Gloomspite Gits, building old concepts into heavily revamped armies with a lot of new models.

Would Darkoath or Slaannesh Mortals be "brand new armies" in GW's eyes? I honestly don't know.

That said, if we go faction by faction looking for possible "new" armies:

Chaos:  With Slaannesh and Darkoath all but confirmed for this year, along with Skaven and Blades of Khorne already getting updates, I would be very surprised to see any other "new" Chaos armies in what is already shaping up to be a very Chaos heavy year.

Destruction:  Gutbusters I think is looking to be the next big Destruction release with how it was previewed as a combined Gutbusters/Fire-eaters/Man-eaters army in the leadup to 2nd edition, and the way it's organized as such on the store, and described that way on the faction page.  How many new models they get is the big question but I do feel like Ogres are due to get a big update to bring them up to par with Gloomspite/IronJawz and establish them as the third major tentpole faction for destruction.

There's also mention of Grotbag Scuttlers going back at least as far as the KO battletome, but I don't think we'll get another new Goblin army so soon after Gloomspite, and there's been no rumors of them coming that I'm aware of.

Death:

Death is pretty well wrapped up currently, with Nagash, FEC, and Nighthaunt covering the entire current range, so any new armies they get will be fairly out of left field. I could see building Soulblight into a new army maybe, but again I don't know of any real rumors pointing in that direction currently.

Order:

As mentioned, the new Light Aelf and Dark Aelf dynamic is very well established and are inevitably coming at some point. Are one of them coming this year? Maybe, and they do seem like the cleanest fit for "brand new faction" we know about currently, but it's hard to say if they can be squeezed in this year or not.

Otherwise, Order is the faction most in need of some consolidated army-books to clean up the Human/Duardin/Aelf micro-factions but I don't think any books along that line would count as "brand new" armies.

• Like 1

New rumor engine!

and two things: a little nurgling wich i believe was never presented (i have never seen him for my part), and a image of what seems to be a tresor. 

I think the gold is more a AoS-ish than 40k-ish.

What are your bets on that? I believe it will be on the base for some new kharadron / fyreslayer or something for gutbusters / maneaters. We all know how dwarfs love gold, and there as been rumors of a new KO warband for shadespire... On the other hand the gutbusters also love gold, as they were more mercenary than soldier in WfB.

The vases in the treasure  image sure look like Idoneth Deepkin vases from the Akhelian kits, and on the base of the Eidolon. 

I have no clue what it would be for them, since Idoneth don't care about treasure that is not souls. Maybe a treasure hoard for another races release?

8 minutes ago, rattila said:

New rumor engine!

and two things: a little nurgling wich i believe was never presented (i have never seen him for my part), and a image of what seems to be a tresor. 

I think the gold is more a AoS-ish than 40k-ish.

What are your bets on that? I believe it will be on the base for some new kharadron / fyreslayer or something for gutbusters / maneaters. We all know how dwarfs love gold, and there as been rumors of a new KO warband for shadespire... On the other hand the gutbusters also love gold, as they were more mercenary than soldier in WfB.

The Nurgling comes with one of the Deathguard kits(plague marine champion I think), so he's nothing new.

But I agree that the treasure has a much more fantasy look to it. I wouldn't be shocked if it's an Ogre.

5 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

The vases in the treasure  image sure look like Idoneth Deepkin vases from the Akhelian kits, and on the base of the Eidolon. 

I have no clue what it would be for them, since Idoneth don't care about treasure that is not souls. Maybe a treasure hoard for another races release?

Both are an exact match for objects on the gloomtide shipwrecks base.

Could be an endless spell, although the wording in the idoneth battletome does leave open the chance of other aetheric vortex scenery. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Azamar said:

Both are an exact match for objects on the gloomtide shipwrecks base.

Could be an endless spell, although the wording in the idoneth battletome does leave open the chance of other aetheric vortex scenery. 

I would be happy with both, the shipwrecks amazing and who doesn't love endless spells?(ignores all the dwarf fans).

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

I see coins - gold coins. It can only mean one of one things

DRAGON!

We all do friend.

Definitely deepkin, as others have said it's pretty much a perfect match for the gloomtide and the eidolon base. You also get pots with the same style in the akhelian guard and allopex kit. 

I have to go with the only logical conclusion and suggest its for deepkin endless spells. Too soon for more than that, though underworlds season 3 is on the table too.