The Rumour Thread

58 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

And we have no idea on when Moonclan will arrive still ? 

They were apparently believed to be released in september but the schedule changed.

And IIRC we currently do not have any precise date for the release of the battletome and the new minis.

7 minutes ago, michu said:

Well there's some very minor naming hints for the eventual Moonclan release. Zarbag is a Madcap Shaman in the keywords and there is reference to the fanatic being a Loonsmasha Fanatic.

Personally I plan on using the Grot Wizard and armored Squig herder characters to represent variant AoS Shamans and Bosses respectively.  I might even pick up a second warband specifically to use for conversion fodder.

On a related note, does GW always release Underworlds warbands in pairs?  Or is this just part of the initial marketing blitz?

• Like 2

Just now, mikethefish said:

Personally I plan on using the Grot Wizard and armored Squig herder characters to represent variant AoS Shamans and Bosses respectively.  I might even pick up a second warband specifically to use for conversion fodder.

On a related note, does GW always release Underworlds warbands in pairs?  Or is this just part of the initial marketing blitz?

They've always done them in pairs in the past.

17 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

That's what im doing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

I like the models.  I would pick them up for that reason alone - even if I did not like their rules in Shadespire.  I own at least one copy of every night Goblin or Squig going back to the early 90s.

I am just disappointed in the AoS rules for the warband.  I can’t see ever wanting to use those warscrolls at all - which I think is a shame. Other warscrolls like the Nighthaunt warband were interesting and I would use them.  I really like the Briar Queen.

Zarbag is a pretty poor grot wizard though.  And the grots unit is terribly fragile and has no focus.  I’m not sure what you are supposed to do with them.

It’s not the end of the world - just disappointing for my favorite army.

Edited by Skabnoze

1 minute ago, TheR00zle said:

That's what im doing.

Plus the Fanatics and Squigs too - just for some alternative models

I suppose you could mix in the net and bow guys too, but...eh... there's SO MANY of those models in your average Moonclan army, the cool alternative guys would get lost in the shuffle.  Maybe I could give them a cool or flashy paint job and use them as alternative unit leaders.

1 minute ago, Skabnoze said:

I am just disappointed in the AoS rules for the warband.  I can’t see ever wanting to use those warscrolls at all - which I think is a shame. Other warscrolls like the Nighthaunt warband were interesting and I would use them.  I really like the Briar Queen.

To be fair, pretty much all the Underworlds warbands suck in AoS.  You've said good stuff about the Briar Queen.  I think that is one of the only positive things about an Underworlds band I have ever heard, aside from them being sorta-OK points fillers

Just now, mikethefish said:

To be fair, pretty much all the Underworlds warbands suck in AoS.  You've said good stuff about the Briar Queen.  I think that is one of the only positive things about an Underworlds band I have ever heard, aside from them being sorta-OK points fillers

I don’t disagree.  The tzeentch sorcerer they previewed today seemed interesting.  I liked his spell although I don’t play tzeentch so maybe it is not good in the context of their army.

But what I find sad is that there is no reason that the Shadespire AoS warband rules to be bad.  It just feels like they are all fairly phoned in.  A bit more effort would make them a cool addition to the game.  I don’t want them to be so amazing that they are autoincludes, but interesting units that are more of a choice than a points filler would be nice and not that hard to do.

They have all felt like a lost opportunity for the most part.  Having said that, I have found that they are a lot of fun in skirmish games.

• Like 2

I think the problem with warbands is that they are individual models with different rules. AoS features units of 5+ models of the same type, and then powerful heroes.  It's really hard to have a warscroll that is a hybrid hero/unit

Now we have 2 warscrolls for the warbands (that's new right) to try and correct this, but you still have different types of units in the non-hero squad... Hard to make rules for that that fit in with the existing game and the other units

It's cool that they have AoS rules at all. I don't think they should comprimise the primary objective (underworlds warband) just to make sure the unit works well with AoS.  most AoShobbyist will use them as counts as or for conversions and just be happy to have the option

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I think the problem with warbands is that they are individual models with different rules. AoS features units of 5+ models of the same type, and then powerful heroes.  It's really hard to have a warscroll that is a hybrid hero/unit

Now we have 2 warscrolls for the warbands (that's new right) to try and correct this, but you still have different types of units in the non-hero squad... Hard to make rules for that that fit in with the existing game and the other units

It's cool that they have AoS rules at all. I don't think they should comprimise the primary objective (underworlds warband) just to make sure the unit works well with AoS.  most AoShobbyist will use them as counts as or for conversions and just be happy to have the option

I feel like some of them could become a lot more useful by allowing you to fill them up with extra fodder from your army.

For example, garreks reavers could be joined by an extra 20 bloodreavers for their normal point cost or something along those lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

On kill team works well and they use same profiles. They just change the characteristic of "for 5 normal guys one can wear a greatweapon" by "u can have one gunner on ur kill team and he can change his weapon for a greatweapon"

1 minute ago, Hoseman said:

On kill team works well and they use same profiles. They just change the characteristic of "for 5 normal guys one can wear a greatweapon" by "u can have one gunner on ur kill team and he can change his weapon for a greatweapon"

In kill team you going in reverse, going from big game to small game. 
You build a team 1 person at a time from 40k units. Easy. 

We are trying to go from small game to big game. 
Translate a fixed set of 3-9 models each different types of units,  into a single AOS unit (or two AoS units, now with split leader)? Just doesn't work well. 
AoS was not designed to have such a  heterogeneous unit and it's not worth disrupting the game's balance just so that underworlds warband buyers feel like they got a little more value out of their $25. 

I don't think the kill team comparison is relevant. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

In kill team you going in reverse, going from big game to small game. 
You build a team 1 person at a time from 40k units. Easy. 

We are trying to go from small game to big game. 
Translate a fixed set of 3-9 models each different types of units,  into a single AOS unit (or two AoS units, now with split leader)? Just doesn't work well. 
AoS was not designed to have such a  heterogeneous unit and it's not worth disrupting the game's balance just so that underworlds warband buyers feel like they got a little more value out of their $25. 

I don't think the kill team comparison is relevant. 

I agree but they could just make the leader good and the other guys utter trash, so they function as a tax. No reason the named leaders can't be on the same tier of named hero as Naeve Blacktalon for example. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

I don't think you have to compromise the Shadespire crew concept in order to write a neat set of rules for a named unit in AoS.  There is no reason that the units need to be almost identical to the unit they are based off in AoS but often with a unit size so small as to make them fairly junk.

They could write a totally separate warscroll.  Make them a full band of heroes, give the unit a special ability or two that actually makes them work at their small size, or just about anything.  I would prefer that they either turned the leader into a full hero with a warscroll and then left the unit as extra models for a base unit without their own profile or else they actually embraced the idea of a specialized elite unit and made these various warbands into that.  Right now they are a weird hybrid that in many cases is only neat because they actually bothered to give them a warscroll at all - which I agree they did not have to do and I am glad that they did.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Hey guys,  this is an Age of Sigmar rumour thread.

Can you have your Kill Team discussion somewhere else ????

Thank you very much

Content-wise, I think you're off the mark here. I believe the kill team mention was a simple comparison which is relevant to the discussion being held - Not a discussion -about- Kill team. There's no need to stifle that. (Or maybe I'm off the mark here, who knows)

Carry on ;)

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

If it was for me I apologise, just wanted to compare the thing we were talking about having rules of a normal unit and use it as an individual one miniature unit. But if we wanna go on the topic we should be talking about rumors and if maybe will be new fanatic grots or any other rumor instead of if the rules for AoS of the underworlds warbands are cool or not :)

• Like 2

That is a very cool model and honestly better looking than the Marine! Glad to see its not Stormcast too - it shows that GW isn't quite ready to fall into the trap that 40K is in whereby nearly every promotional model/item is focused around one single army 

• Like 2