The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I was wondering if there'll be multiple Spearheads for the same faction. I like the contents of the Hedonites one, but it is exclusively the mortals... it'd be fun if there was a Slaanesh Daemons one, too. 

I think that we will have, at least, the current one and one or two new boxes when the new battletomes drop.

1 hour ago, GrimDork said:

I would love it they released spearhead rules for battle box halves (I think they have done one for combat patrol tho I don’t keep up to date with 40k).

Mainly because I have an Aether War & Fury of the Deep sitting around. I picked them up for one faction and haven’t gotten round to selling the other half. If there were spearhead rules for each half it would definitely incentivise me to paint em up. 
With spearhead on the horizon, it makes me think about how releases will be going forward. GW have moved away from the dual faction battle boxes in favour of army boxes but could we see a return. They could be marketed as 2 spearheads box! Maybe I’m getting carried away. I really hope spearhead isn’t a flash in the pan, like meeting engagement turned out to be.

I doubt we will have dual boxes back. In the end what they are doing is exactly what you said, but without the fluff of buying another army. They launch the new codex with a battleforce and a new combat patrol. Same result but with people able to buy just the faction they want.

Pretty sure in this scenario they discontinued the vanguard boxes for spearhead boxes when battletomes come out, I doubt they bother keeping both in stock judging but what happens in 40K

GW also seem to prefer Army boxset for new releases these days where they can release a new codex/ battletome with new minis.

22 minutes ago, novakai said:

Pretty sure in this scenario they discontinued the vanguard boxes for spearhead boxes when battletomes come out, I doubt they bother keeping both in stock judging but what happens in 40K

GW also seem to prefer Army boxset for new releases these days where they can release a new codex/ battletome with new minis.

GW could do FOMO spearhead boxes with book releases, but I wouldn't expect more than 1 evergreen spearhead box per faction. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

Yeah I totally agree that much of its success will depend on how much we try and adopt it in the end. Its quiet funny because we always see people talking how we needed to make smaller games more normal (to get a bigger number of games per play day, to reduce the number of models to play barrier and all other factors) but when those modes appear they generally don't stick around due to them being "unbalanced because the game is balanced with 2k in mind". Remember meeting engagements? I know it (much like combat patrol) may have its problems, but maybe if we as a community come together to get to keep it been played and fixing it, if needed, we could have something really important for our hobby to flourish.

Coming from a country where it is really hard to get warhammer models in general I can't stress enough how important a smaller, easier to get into game is important for this hobby to keep up. We've trying to grow our community and there are lots of people interested but having to say "oh get enough to play 1k first and you can start playing" and getting 1k translating into having to buy multiple boxes has made we loose a great amount of people that wanted to get into it. A lower entry barrier and games that are faster and easier to set up are all positive things that both get new people in but also help keep old players interested with more games happening and making easier to start a new faction you are interested in try/paint.

I can definitely say that I am more positive about Spearhead so far than I ever was about meeting engagements, which even when I was building up my army I had no interest in. The whole set up of splitting your army into three and having them come onto the board on different turns just was not appealing, and I didn't see the point of doing it instead of just playing normal matched play battle plans that were workable with smaller unit numbers and board sizes.

Spearhead, on the other hand, seems great. Its design does a lot to mitigate the weaknesses of low-points AoS. In my mind, there are two big factors that make low-point AoS kind of janky.

1: For a smaller board you need bespoke battle plans. You can't just shrink down a 60x44 battle plan with 6 objectives to half or quarter size. The distances make no sense at that point, and you don't have enough units to actually play the scenario. Spearhead addresses this by giving us the necessary scenarios and the core rules change with objectives being 3" capture range helps, too.

2: Low numbers of units with barely diminished damage means that half your army might die turn 1. In regular 2000 point AoS, you frequently have 10 or so units on the board. You have enough points to bring screens after bringing all the hammers you actually want. Your opponent might alpha charge or shoot you and blow up a unit turn 1, but that only loses you 1/10th of your list in points most likely. In low points, if your opponent can build a list that contains one of the combos from the regular game (a cav hero and his squad, a strong shooting combo...), they might point-and-click 1 of your 4-6 units of the board (easier due to smaller board size), which might be too much to ever recover from. Spearhead deals with this through REINFORCEMENT units and fixed lists that (hopefully) don't contain that kind of firepower.

I am really into the idea of spearhead. I will definitely be making the factions I already own Spearhead-compatible and would love if the system is fun enough to play as a quick play mode in its own right. But it is definitely a huge boon to new players, who now have a very tangible and actionable way to playing their first game of AoS and a good on ramp to 2000 points proper.

• Like 6

I'm assuming that Faction Terrain and Endless Spells aren't used in Spearhead mode. So even less models that you need to turn up with. I'm liking the sound of a game that you can fit everything you require, models wise, into a smallish carry case. To get a game, I typically have to travel a fair distance via public transport, so not hauling loads of toys around suits me perfectly! The shortened time required for a game is also a bonus. 

Plus I'm rubbish at remembering all the rules! I'll be able to get my head around the streamlined style of Spearhead a lot quicker, I'd wager. 

Bring it on. 

• Like 1

Well my prediction is that there definitely won't be a Dawnbringers story today.

Never been more certain of anything. I'll stake my entire TGA reputation on it!

(...do you see what I'm doing 😉)

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Well my prediction is that there definitely won't be a Dawnbringers story today.

Never been more certain of anything. I'll stake my entire TGA reputation on it!

(...do you see what I'm doing 😉)

It cannot be delayed too much :( If we get one then it almost confirms DB 6 being announced this Sunday.

GW Waerhouse Update

Games Workshop will be closing its warehouses between the 27th of May and the 3rd of June 2024. Any orders received during this period will be dispatched once the warehouses re-open, at which point normal shipping will resume.

Interesting! Getting ready for AoS 4, I guess? Hopefully it helps them sort out their supply lines and extra long preorder windows

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

GW Waerhouse Update

Interesting! Getting ready for AoS 4, I guess? Hopefully it helps them sort out their supply lines and extra long preorder windows

I’d guess so as well but imagine they have just opened a new one and moving stock around to make it more efficient. Plus if Amazon 40k shoes are later this year, could be stockpiling or stock taking for that

Posted (edited)

Don't want to get ahead of myself here, but one can dream it means an upgrade to their ordering system, and a return of the one week preorders.

EDIT: Then again, probably not.

image.png.29ad49b6ff1661e8ca34b2409b01ddbc.png

Edited by Grungnisson

11 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

On April 15th GW filled a trademark for the phrase "MossCairn". While there is no information regarding what it will be used for, I will guess that it is the name of the next Underworlds expansion since it follows the usual naming convention for that game.

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00004039208

That's one of the most insipid titles they've ever come up with. "Damp pile of rocks."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Captaniser said:

On April 15th GW filled a trademark for the phrase "MossCairn". While there is no information regarding what it will be used for, I will guess that it is the name of the next Underworlds expansion since it follows the usual naming convention for that game.

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00004039208

AoS 4. MossCairn.

Really do hope we get a story today because yay stories but also the prospect of DB6/ Abraxia/ Darkoath/ Gunnars pre orders.

As for Spearhead and the launchbox honestly I feel they would go the same as 40k by having the models needed for the combat patrol/ spearhead AND extra models on top.

Then when we get the 3 starter editions the ultimate one will have the 2 Spearheads minus those extra models so that once the launchbox is gone we still have a starter box with 2 Spearheads in to allow 2 friends to have a box to start together the same as how 40k ultimate had marines and nids CP models in it.