The Rumour Thread

The launch box sounds very much like it’s going to be a spearhead launch box, as opposed to AoS 4.0 launch box, if that makes sense. It really seems geared towards getting new players into the game with the everything you need (for spearhead) in the box.

Personally I’m ok with this, I like what they’ve shown so far with spearhead, and as a slow painter and hobby butterfly I like the idea of collecting/painting more small forces. But, I can understand how current AoS players might feel shortchanged if they end up with a load of “starter” materials when they have no desire to play spearhead.

I’m intrigued as to what the boxes, both launch and starter sets, will include.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm primarily a painter when it comes to AoS so I can't say I'm too excited at the confirmation that there's going to be terrain and a board in the launch set, possibly leading to less models in the box. It be would be nice if there were two versions of the box, one with all the extra stuff and one with just the models and a rule book or extra models and a rule book but I don't expect that to happen.

That being said I do understand that it's likely great for new players, it just might mean I'll unfortunately skip this one and wait for the inevitable Christmas/end of year battleforces that contain a fair chunk of the new Stormcast and Skaven models.

Ultimately though I'll reserve final judgement until we actually see the box.

Edited by SilentSentinel
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, SilentSentinel said:

I'm primarily a painter when it comes to AoS so I can't say I'm too excited at the confirmation that there's going to be terrain and a board in the launch set, possibly leading to less models in the box. It be would be nice if there were two versions of the box, one with all the extra stuff and one with just the models and a rule book or extra models and a rule book but I don't expect that to happen.

That being said I do understand that it's likely great for new players, it just might mean I'll unfortunately skip this one and wait for the inevitable Christmas/end of year battleforces that contain a fair chunk of the new Stormcast and Skaven models.

U can  sell the terrain and cards/extras pretty easy. Lots of people are just after that and sell the models.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SilentSentinel said:

The starter box for Spearhead will not have the new Stormcast models in it, it's going to use the SCE Spearhead we already have, which is made up of Dominion* models. They are specifically mentioned in the article.

*or at least first wave on Thundestrike models.

Edited by Grungnisson

41 minutes ago, Juicy said:

U can  sell the terrain and cards/extras pretty easy. Lots of people are just after that and sell the models.

Currently I am more curious about how that terrain would look than about any more models from the box.

51 minutes ago, Juicy said:

It depends, if everybody wants to sell that part of the box is going to be pretty hard to sell, and some people don't want to lose time selling it in second market, like me.

I was going to preorder it, like I have been doing since beginning, now I think I'm fine just waiting for a future magazine with the stormcast part or waiting for a battleforce.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Currently I am more curious about how that terrain would look than about any more models from the box.

I would be super happy if they repurposed the completed Dawnbringer buildings for this box, but I expect something with more of a blight city flavour.

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would be super happy if they repurposed the completed Dawnbringer buildings for this box, but I expect something with more of a blight city flavour.

Do you mean the Gallet ones? I would also love it but don't you think people would be a bit disappointed? Especially if the launch box has less minis. If it has to contain terrain at least give us something that feels new.

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

Do you mean the Gallet ones? I would also love it but don't you think people would be a bit disappointed? Especially if the launch box has less minis. If it has to contain terrain at least give us something that feels new.

The new Stormcast have destroyed masonry from the Dawnbringer buildings on their bases. I feel like "Skaven are attacking one of the settlements, now completed, that was founded in the last edition" would be a pretty good theme for the box. I suspect this is just wishful thinking, though. They probably had bespoke terrain planned for that box 3 years ago.

I think, and I could be way off, the last time they had substantial scenery included in a starter box was for 40k 4th or 5th, which had big terrain splats of a crashed spaceship thing to fight over, which was pretty neat.  Something unique and eye-catching along those lines would be more appealing than a sprue or two of the typical wall segments, I'd say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucentia said:

I think, and I could be way off, the last time they had substantial scenery included in a starter box was for 40k 4th or 5th, which had big terrain splats of a crashed spaceship thing to fight over, which was pretty neat.  Something unique and eye-catching along those lines would be more appealing than a sprue or two of the typical wall segments, I'd say.

You are way off, because the last interations of the 40k and AOS largest tier of starter sets did include scenery. For example, the AOS Extremis edition starter, which is currently still for sale.

image.png.2d3faa197abd868c670018f9691ad400.png

Now, the Launch boxes did not include scenery. I doubt that would change. A miscommunication and people mistaking the launch set and the starter for each other is more likely.

• Like 4

is anyone else considering buying a Vanguard box just for Spearhead?  Vince's podcast got me riled up with the idea and i figure it'd be a good way get back into the groove of the hobby.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bethebee said:

is anyone else considering buying a Vanguard box just for Spearhead?  Vince's podcast got me riled up with the idea and i figure it'd be a good way get back into the groove of the hobby.

I'm buying a cannon for CoS so that my army can be Spearhead-compatible. Definitely want to be able to play intro games with new players, and who knows, maybe Spearhead will actually have some staying power for quick games?

7 minutes ago, bethebee said:

Outside of the eight armies I already have? Depending on the composition of a box, I could actually see myself doing that, instead of starting another army.

8 minutes ago, bethebee said:

Absolutely. Because I'll only need to paint the cannon and marshall to have a fully painted Spearhead force (I already have the steelhelms and cavaliers covered with the CoS launch box).

17 hours ago, Starfyre said:

The incoming launch box provides everything you need to play with a friend, including two complete Spearhead forces, terrain, a double-sided board with printed objectives, and the packs of cards that really make this mode tick.

They've said launch box throughout. It's wishful thinking to say they mean starter box. 

Seems like a tactic to dissuade people from buying multiples, therefore they can don't need to overproduce it like Dominion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bethebee said:

One thing to consider about this is that if the Hachette collectable follows the path of its 40k equivalent the next iteration will be formed by several Spearheads. If you have access to the collectable maybe is worth waiting a year or so.

3 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

They've said launch box throughout. It's wishful thinking to say they mean starter box. 

Seems like a tactic to dissuade people from buying multiples, therefore they can don't need to overproduce it like Dominion.

That's the problem. They said launch box on two different occasions. There's still a chance of them calling launch box to the starter sets internally and this being we are misled, but it is a minor one IMO.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Rumored schedule:

- Prerelease second June week

- Release last June week + Spearhead pdfs

So, then launch box gets revealed on 18th of may, and preorders for the 9th of June? That's barely 22 days of marketing. It's utterly insane, AoS (nor any other game for the matter) isn't 40k, it doesn't have the privilege of a large fandom instabuying every release. But, oh well, I'm not an executive...

Edited by Garrac

11 minutes ago, Garrac said:

So, then launch box gets revealed on 18th of may, and preorders for the 9th of June? That's barely 22 days of marketing. It's utterly insane, AoS (nor any other game for the matter) isn't 40k, it doesn't have the privilege of a large fandom instabuying every release. But, oh well, I'm not an executive...

They've been marketing the release this whole time. The pre order window is also still marketing time. Especially with a product like this that will be aimed at new players. They want people to walk into stores and pick up a box. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Dominion was revealed May 29th, pre-order June 19th, for reference.

So, seems about right?

• Like 3

Just now, Chikout said:

They've been marketing the release this whole time. The pre order window is also still marketing time. Especially with a product like this that will be aimed at new players. They want people to walk into stores and pick up a box. 

The only marketing that really counts to bring guys into playing stuff it's the one that shows actual miniatures, and now we have barely ¿half? of the box 37 days prior.